Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of moving bales?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

What's there 200? DSW? Take you long to bring in?

What time did you get finished Gg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dawggone wrote: »
    What time did you get finished Gg?

300 done between yesterday and today. 200 stacked 100 wrapped there by 8.30 will get them in tomorrow. 18 ac still to do next chance we get. I've a feeling first cut might be pitted next yr .not much time between stock work and dad not able to stick long days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

9935452 wrote: »
    How about this ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47K8BF0sR4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Suy4lz6aE
    Sold a few years back on ebay for 1000 pound sterling

Would you get away with sticking a double bale handler on the front instead of a weight? Or would that be taking the piss ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Today's lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Today's lot

You'll sleep well tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

What's there 200? DSW? Take you long to bring in?

Around 180, it worked out at 9 bales/acre, I was expecting 8. First bale made at 230, all drawn and finished for 7. My tractor, plus 3 other lads, all with double handlers drawing, average draw 1 mile, but one of the fields had to be drawn through the village which can be slow. It's a big village!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would you get away with sticking a double bale handler on the front instead of a weight? Or would that be taking the piss ?

That was my thinking when i saw it. If the bales were lined up in twos and you had a big tractor able to handle it you could move a lot of bales quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Around 180, it worked out at 9 bales/acre, I was expecting 8. First bale made at 230, all drawn and finished for 7. My tractor, plus 3 other lads, all with double handlers drawing, average draw 1 mile, but one of the fields had to be drawn through the village which can be slow. It's a big village!

That was good going. Had 190 baled monday, took ages to draw 2 at a time. About 12 hours on my own between drawing and stacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That was good going. Had 190 baled monday, took ages to draw 2 at a time. About 12 hours on my own between drawing and stacking.

That's a long time in the seat

Reggie. wrote: »
    That's a long time in the seat

I have blisters :P yea it was, took a few breaks. From yard to field, get bales, back to yard and stack was about 10 to 12 min for 2 bales. Would of used the trailer but didnt have a lad to draw, bales were lifting the back wheels off the ground if I didnt have 1 on the back. Also the speed sensor on the tractor failed just before I started so I had flasing lights and beeping the whole time. Great craic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have blisters :P yea it was, took a few breaks. From yard to field, get bales, back to yard and stack was about 10 to 12 min for 2 bales. Would of used the trailer but didnt have a lad to draw, bales were lifting the back wheels off the ground if I didnt have 1 on the back. Also the speed sensor on the tractor failed just before I started so I had flasing lights and beeping the whole time. Great craic..

what were you driving smokey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Hard to beat a wrapper in the yard and two trailers drawing to him. Wrapping in the field is a bollix. Every crow from 5 counties lighting on em. Triples the risk of flittering the plastic. I can't understand why it's done that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Willfarman wrote: »
    I can't understand why it's done that way.

Easier for the contractor.

Ah that's important. Who's fuppin payin who!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Hard to beat a wrapper in the yard and two trailers drawing to him. Wrapping in the field is a bollix. Every crow from 5 counties lighting on em. Triples the risk of flittering the plastic. I can't understand why it's done that way.

Cost. Around me I have not seen anyone use loader wrapper. Even seperate baler wrappers are becoming thin on the ground. Baler wrapper is a one man operation with about 120ish Hp tractor. One piece of kit. However if bales have to travel a distance I can understand the other type of set up. From what I can see most contractors are only covering costs if they but relize it and when they do we are all in trouble.

A seperate baler and a wrapper on a loader would be well over 100K for a fairly decent bit of kit. Know a lad that has bought a good baler wrapper last year for 18K. Tractor that is being used is 18 years old. You would pay that for a Baler by itself. You wuld want fair work for a loader to justify cost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What's the cost of the loader wrappers?
    Wrap and stack in one go would cut out one tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What about the stationary wrappers or have they been completely forgotten about. I know a fella that uses one, throws a bale up on the wrapper and stacks the wrapped bale while its wrapping, simple system.

ganmo wrote: »
    What's the cost of the loader wrappers?
    Wrap and stack in one go would cut out one tractor

It is not the loader wrapper at all it the loader that will cost the money.
    What about the stationary wrappers or have they been completely forgotten about. I know a fella that uses one, throws a bale up on the wrapper and stacks the wrapped bale while its wrapping, simple system.

How is a stationary wrapper run, I presume it has it own engine. Cannot see any advantage over loader wrapper. All these are simple systems but they just cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It is not the loader wrapper at all it the loader that will cost the money.

How is a stationary wrapper run, I presume it has it own engine. Cannot see any advantage over loader wrapper. All these are simple systems but they just cost money.

Some of them have or a small tractor would run it ticking over. A lot cheaper to buy than a loader wrapper. I'd imagine aswell you would want a serious lump of a tractor or else a dedicated loader to handle a loader mounted wrapper with a bale on it, looks heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

We bale and then draw to the field beside the yard and wrap.use the one tractor for baling and wrapping the other for drawing and stacking. Its not a big job to drop the trailer for loading and unloading. Bring 14 at a time.

• Advertisement

what were you driving smokey ?

Mf 4355, need the weight on the back end or it will lift pretty simple. Terrible light back end on them. The fusion bales wouldnt be the lightest either. The road speed sensor is just over the pto so not too hard to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

A few years back I made bales about a mile from the home place and drew them home with a 100HP tractor and Keltec bale handler. 6 bales per load, unwrapped and wrapped with normal wrapper at home.

The Keltec isn't as easy to operate as you would think. Land has to be level and you have to pick them up alternatively on left right etc to keep the load balanced. You can drop them all in one go which is fine. The other thing to remember is the first bales on the Keltec get dropped down to the ground for each bale picked after. So the first bale will get dropped to the ground a total of 5 times on a 6 bale Keltec. Once by baler, 3 times by Keltec and once by wrapper.:D

150 bales and I ended up drawing through the night, with the wrapper coming again in the morning to finish up. Lets just say, I never did it again.

Overall it's not a bad machine, but I wouldn't dream of picking wrapped bales with it and I certainly wouldn't pay €20k for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

How hard would it be to make something like this? It just tips over to the side to unload. It shows it tipping at 4:50mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Cost. Around me I have not seen anyone use loader wrapper. Even seperate baler wrappers are becoming thin on the ground. Baler wrapper is a one man operation with about 120ish Hp tractor. One piece of kit. However if bales have to travel a distance I can understand the other type of set up. From what I can see most contractors are only covering costs if they but relize it and when they do we are all in trouble.

A seperate baler and a wrapper on a loader would be well over 100K for a fairly decent bit of kit. Know a lad that has bought a good baler wrapper last year for 18K. Tractor that is being used is 18 years old. You would pay that for a Baler by itself. You wuld want fair work for a loader to justify cost

I think a lot you you are thinking of this from a farmer point of view. If your a contractor then wrapper baler and keltecs make plenty of sense" it's like going from a trailer precision chop silage harvester to a self propelled unit. All comes down to volume. Many of the contractors round here have the loaders and tractors already as they do other work too.

As for using the keltec and wrapper in yard, yes it more expensive but a lot faster and it's a single job. As GG just pointed out he spent the whole day just drawing the bales, and as deep SW has said he had 3 lads with double handlers driving up and down the road. When my contractor leaves the bales are wrapped and stacked in yard, not sitting in field while I can be in work or doing the cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

You move the bale 3 times with a loader so that's 33% more time lost than loading wrapped on to trailer and unloading straight to stack.

I'd never go back to stacking in the yard. We move wrapped bales 30+km to home and unload with elephant trunk would be less than 2% damaged. Treat them like eggs and don't let a tool drive the loader

I have never seen a loader wrapper. Stationary wrappers are still the norm around here. Wrapping 30 bales an hour handy. I let lad wrap in the field once. Bollix of a racket. Great for contractor no advantage to me whatsoever.

I have never seen a loader wrapper. Stationary wrappers are still the norm around here. Wrapping 30 bales an hour handy. I let lad wrap in the field once. Bollix of a racket. Great for contractor no advantage to me whatsoever.

Would not call that fast. Last night baler wrapper made 152 bales in around 3 hours. Young lads bought them in and stacked in about four hours ( admitily short draw with a single and double bale handler and front loader. Bales in one field were too heavy to handle three at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

You move the bale 3 times with a loader so that's 33% more time lost than loading wrapped on to trailer and unloading straight to stack.

I'd never go back to stacking in the yard. We move wrapped bales 30+km to home and unload with elephant trunk would be less than 2% damaged. Treat them like eggs and don't let a tool drive the loader

Other side of that is quality of roads too. The roads round here a shocking bad. Wrapped bales get a right bouncing and have to drive slower to stop damage. Cork coco have no intrest in maintains them properly and are pushing the cost back onto the land owners, even though the Maintenance of the roads AND margins are their responsibility. Have drawn wrapped bales home a few times but end up having to spend plenty of time patching them. Also my own trailer is not ideal for wrapped bales too many corners, so have to borrow a neighbours. TBH if the coco did improve the roads then I might look at it again but if I was to draw them home I'd have to buy a new trailer with a flat bed and no sharp edges, and get a bale handler for the tractor, which would have to be upgraded to lift the bales and probably have to weights on the wheels too.

Bale handler on the back would just take too long, ok for fields next to yard but not much good for the majority of the cut as it's much further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mf 4355, need the weight on the back end or it will lift pretty simple. Terrible light back end on them. The fusion bales wouldnt be the lightest either. The road speed sensor is just over the pto so not too hard to change.

I thought twas a 4300 series u had from previous posts. Is it power shuttle ? I have one showing the same error even though it's reading the mph ok. Is yours reading anything on the dash ?

• Advertisement

Would not call that fast. Last night baler wrapper made 152 bales in around 3 hours. Young lads bought them in and stacked in about four hours ( admitily short draw with a single and double bale handler and front loader. Bales in one field were too heavy to handle three at the time.

It's fast enough for me. It means I have no neccessity for a big aul pig on diesel tractor and bale handler. No crow pecks in bales. No torn bales in unnoticed.

Advertisement