Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of moving bales?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Surely a big bale trailer is the way forward for a one man band, outside of keltec which are too dear for this scenario

a 30 ft trailer will have 14 on the floor and 6 down the middle so 20 a time, not far off 2 acres there in 1 load. Considering the distance that has to be the way forward surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Panch18 wrote: »
    Surely a big bale trailer is the way forward for a one man band, outside of keltec which are too dear for this scenario

a 30 ft trailer will have 14 on the floor and 6 down the middle so 20 a time, not far off 2 acres there in 1 load. Considering the distance that has to be the way forward surely??

For a one man band hiring a keltec is the only option. Around 1.50 per bale max cost. Job completed shortly after the baler is finished. Risk of losses elsewhere in the operation massively reduced as operator not distracted by endless hauling of bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

For a one man band hiring a keltec is the only option. Around 1.50 per bale max cost. Job completed shortly after the baler is finished. Risk of losses elsewhere in the operation massively reduced as operator not distracted by endless hauling of bales.

Have to agree, used to bale and wrap in field and unless your bringing the bales across the the field with wide gaps that won't tear the plastic it's a disaster.

Using a double handler and front loader for longs runs us just a waste of diesel to be honest. How long does it take to drive a 2 mile round trip with only 2-3 bales. Add in the cost of diesel and it's expensive and time consuming silage.

Bale with a decent chopper baler
    Draw with a keltec
    Wrap and stack with a loader mounted auto wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Pacoa wrote: »

Yeah this is exactly the way we do it here. Don't stack on the flat ends though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Which is the best way to stack, on end or on the flat.

Are there pros and cons of each

grazeaway wrote: »
    Have to agree, used to bale and wrap in field and unless your bringing the bales across the the field with wide gaps that won't tear the plastic it's a disaster.

Using a double handler and front loader for longs runs us just a waste of diesel to be honest. How long does it take to drive a 2 mile round trip with only 2-3 bales. Add in the cost of diesel and it's expensive and time consuming silage.

Bale with a decent chopper baler
    Draw with a keltec
    Wrap and stack with a loader mounted auto wrapper.

You'd have to go a fair distance around here to find someone to bale only. Almost all fusions. There's a few contractors with balers for straw but very few running separate wrappers. I don't think either farmers or contractors want the hassle of drawing unwrapped bales dropping them loading them onto wrappers and then stacking. Much less moving parts with a fusion. Bale and wrap, load in whatever way and then stack. As against bale, load, unload, onto wrapper and then stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

You'd have to go a fair distance around here to find someone to bale only. Almost all fusions. There's a few contractors with balers for straw but very few running separate wrappers. I don't think either farmers or contractors want the hassle of drawing unwrapped bales dropping them loading them onto wrappers and then stacking. Much less moving parts with a fusion. Bale and wrap, load in whatever way and then stack. As against bale, load, unload, onto wrapper and then stack.
    around dungaravan noting but keltics. dont know any one with fusion around here.

topgeas wrote: »
    around dungaravan noting but keltics. dont know any one with fusion around here.

Head east. Once you get to Bunmahon even the farmers have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

at least 75% of the balers around here are fusions. They might be expensive but they produce the best bale. The best option for moving these wraped bales seems to get a lad in with a keltec trailer for the few hours to haul them

• Advertisement

Fusions seem to be way more popular out west. Never seen one working out here in the east, in fact i have never seen one working east of bandon. In fact I don't know of anyone who wraps in the field down here, the only lads I know that do that who be those who would leave in the corner of the field they made the in if they were cleaning off strong paddocks. That said for small draws or single fields I'll draw the bales to the yard using the tractor digger for wrapping.

Beauty of the auto wrapper on the loader is that the wrapping and stacking is in one go and you can use less plastic per roll as it's not being handled bounced and dropped repeataly.

Also volume wise you can bale, transport, wrap and stack a serious amount in a day. And for part time lads like me it's great as once I can have the grass mowed in the evening my self the lads will have the bales in and done while I'm at work.
    We do about 300-400 a year usually with 1 main cut and possibly 2 smaller cuts.

Other thing to take into account is traffic across fields espically if you have to cross a couple of them at a time the more times you cross the field with a heavy bale or two behind the tractor it can do a fair bit of compacting.

I know from drawing hay and straw bales with a tractor, loader and trailer it takes a fair bit of time to do 100 never mind 1000. Cleared straw bales for the uncle 2 years ago when he was sick used his tractor with one on the front and 2 on the back (his trailer was full of grain he wanted for storage and I should have just brought my own down in hindsight). Fields were about 500m form yard and it took me the full long day to bring in and stack around 200 bales 3 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Fusion and keltecs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgIXhrIVMg4

That said was chatting to some of the local lads with keltecs and they all say the same. Faster with un wrapped bales. You need a good steady driver espically when picking the wrapped bales as if they rub the sides too hard they tear the plastic. Also ideally drop the bales on grass before stacking un wrapped bales can be dropped on concrete or hardcore as long as the yard is somewhat level your grand.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Fusions seem to be way more popular out west. Never seen one working out here in the east, in fact i have never seen one working east of bandon. In fact I don't know of anyone who wraps in the field down here, the only lads I know that do that who be those who would leave in the corner of the field they made the in if they were cleaning off strong paddocks. That said for small draws or single fields I'll draw the bales to the yard using the tractor digger for wrapping.

Beauty of the auto wrapper on the loader is that the wrapping and stacking is in one go and you can use less plastic per roll as it's not being handled bounced and dropped repeataly.

Also volume wise you can bale, transport, wrap and stack a serious amount in a day. And for part time lads like me it's great as once I can have the grass mowed in the evening my self the lads will have the bales in and done while I'm at work.
    We do about 300-400 a year usually with 1 main cut and possibly 2 smaller cuts.

Other thing to take into account is traffic across fields espically if you have to cross a couple of them at a time the more times you cross the field with a heavy bale or two behind the tractor it can do a fair bit of compacting.

I know from drawing hay and straw bales with a tractor, loader and trailer it takes a fair bit of time to do 100 never mind 1000. Cleared straw bales for the uncle 2 years ago when he was sick used his tractor with one on the front and 2 on the back (his trailer was full of grain he wanted for storage and I should have just brought my own down in hindsight). Fields were about 500m form yard and it took me the full long day to bring in and stack around 200 bales 3 at a time.

Out west? You must be standing on Curracloe beach. East Waterford here. I won't say all fusions but certainly plenty of them around. Definitely the most popular model of baler.

Out west? You must be standing on Curracloe beach. East Waterford here. I won't say all fusions but certainly plenty of them around. Definitely the most popular model of baler.

Once you go beyond balincollig your out west to folks round her...ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Any one here using or used one. 25000 is some money ud buy a few good bale trailers for that.a fusion and tractor bale trailer is a 2 man job but with the keltec it turns into a three man job. Don't tink they wil suit a tight yard then. I would not mind hiring one for a day.

Any one here using or used one. 25000 is some money ud buy a few good bale trailers for that.a fusion and tractor bale trailer is a 2 man job but with the keltec it turns into a three man job. Don't tink they wil suit a tight yard then. I would not mind hiring one for a day.

Keltec Is really for contractors rather then a farmers machine, just like a fusion.

As for size yes they are long but that would be the same length of bale trailer. The room really needed is for dropping the bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Do many people stack bales 4 high? 3 is the highest I've gone here before, but will have extra bales this yr. would the bottom row suffer if I went 4 high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Do many people stack bales 4 high? 3 is the highest I've gone here before, but will have extra bales this yr. would the bottom row suffer if I went 4 high?

Yeah with fusion bales being 800 kg easy the bottom row will be flat I have seen it done though. Put if silage turns to crap Im fairly sure the silage wrap company won't take any responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Many people go with the pink wrap this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Only in the bedroom! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

re stacking, i would reccommend stacking on their edges, as when bales go flat, the plastic becomes loose and air gets in, basically turing the silage to dung,

you can always spike the side of the bale when feeding, if access is what people find the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

Went four high all on their side last year bales were dry.

Id say if done it with wet bales the bottom one would dissapear.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Keltec Is really for contractors rather then a farmers machine, just like a fusion.

As for size yes they are long but that would be the same length of bale trailer. The room really needed is for dropping the bales.

Was booking contractor to bale s few paddocks. Asked him about keltec. It only did a few jobs the first year he had it, was out a fair bit last year, now following fusion full time. Most customers using it. Bales stacked shortly after baler leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

How about this ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47K8BF0sR4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Suy4lz6aE
    Sold a few years back on ebay for 1000 pound sterling

9935452 wrote: »
    How about this ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47K8BF0sR4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Suy4lz6aE
    Sold a few years back on ebay for 1000 pound sterling

That's fair weight, you'd need a decent sized tractor to use it. Nice bit of bouncing on the road

Depends on how dry the bales are. Stack 3 high if good, 2 otherwise.

Made a start at silage ground today. Ideal conditions, mowed sunday, tedded yesterday, raked and in the bank today.

From another angle

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

From another angle

What's there 200? DSW? Take you long to bring in?

Advertisement