Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humans - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am two episodes behind, but from the last episode I saw, and what is posted here, seems like a hurried script (in how the family accepted Mia without a blink) and seems like they're just paving the way for series two. I got bored three episodes ago. It's a shame!

What made the earlier episodes so interesting is that we didn't know the characters and half the fun was finding out the interplay between them as well as finding out the back story and history of the synths and their creators. And seing Niska on the rampage was terrifying and alluring at the same time. I'm a sucker for a kick ass woman.
    Now the back story is largely filled in, it has turned into a different kind of story all together.
    It may have tailed off a little but was still hugely enjoyable. I'm looking forward to season two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Pot calling the kettle black there, haha - calling people crybabies for not wanting spoilers before an episode has been aired is being a bit juvenile yourself IMO. :rolleyes:
    But thanks for the link nonetheless.

I was clearly joking? And they're not 'spoilers', they are the TV promos from Channel 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They rather fvcked that all up I'm afraid. The tension was killed as the writers scrabbled around for a way to allow a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Why did niska take the memory?? Did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

SMJSF wrote: »

Because she wants to create more synths with true ai.

• Advertisement

SMJSF wrote: »

You didn't, we don't know what she's up to. Will be fun finding out, she is the least predictable of the group. She said about her past violent conduct that she has learnt from her mistakes, but I doubt that. We can assume she has a dastardly plan up her sleeve. Definitely a candidate to become evil synth mastermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I always get the impression with these sort of things that they either: rush it; front load it; or give it to another bunch of writers. "No Offence was the same (IMHO) - really edgy, interesting hook only to drift along into same old, same old.

Did someone say earlier - It ain't exactly HBO is it - if not I'll say it.

~ Hobbs reminds me of my French teacher - the b4stard
    ~ Does the actor who plays Joe, really just get work on his ability to produce a variation of gormless facial expressions.
    ~ why are all the synths in hospital gowns when all they're doing is a but of reprogramming? I'd have though one port would do it, not like they need access to any of the tickle tackle.
    ~ DI Voss - just don't get it. Don't get how she got there or why she is like she is.

Thank you. I feel a lot better now, I'll get back in my cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I was clearly joking? And they're not 'spoilers', they are the TV promos from Channel 4.

So was I (hence the haha)? But clearly not clearly. :pac:

I quite enjoyed that finale, the story was nicely contained in that season, and it leaves plenty of room open for the show to go a few different directions. Maybe we could even get a new cast and their respective perspectives on synth development? Not sure where the original story went or how closely this one followed that story, but I guess it's not outside the realms of possibility. With all the sentient synths going their own way, they'll be scattered, so it's hard to know what will happen or how they'll keep in touch if and when they need to regroup. So many possibilities. I'm looking forward to next year's installment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭squonk

I'll watch Season 2 as well. I'm hoping that the writers can come back with something as interesting and gripping as the earlier episodes. For me it was a great show up until about episode 6 and then the family just rowed in behind Mia and banality ensued.

Niska was a real standout on the show so I'm glad to see they have clear plans for her for Season 2 at least. I just don't know how she managed to get a copy of the code. It looked fairly clear cut that it was just added to one drive which Jen put away at the end.

Anyone else barf at the little girl imitating Anita? I felt it was almost like the writers no longer even knew or cared about what to do with the family at that point. I think that characterises the final two episodes really. They just had to resolve things and so they just made the family really compliant to move thigs along. For a finalé I thought it was quite a weak episode but some of the Season 2 setups look quite intersting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Finished watching the series last night. It didn't feel like the right moment to end as there wasn't a lot of suspense. I was kind of surprised that so much of the show was them just walking around freely and that it didn't kick off at the anti-dolly rally when Niska had clearly been recognised! Looking forward to S02 but.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Very disappointing end to the season. It was probably the weakest episode of the season, it was just so flat and had nothing that a finale should have. The family were the weak link again and this time they were up front and center. It didn't work for me that this quiet suburban family would come to the aid of the synths in such a "Mission Impossible" way blackmailing ScienceCop. It was all too easy too - "I've got a tape to expose the whole thing. Release the synths or fear the wrath of the population knowing there are conscious synths out there.... oh wait you have all the synths locked up... and you plan on mass producing them anyway... well I guess I've no leverage anymore" :rolleyes: The devious plan to get them all back too was an utter failure. For a moment I thought something was going to kick off at the riot but no, it all went well for the synths and the ScienceCop plot thread just disappeared completely.

I really enjoyed the season and I look forward to season 2 but the finale was pretty terrible and it was quite clear the showrunners don't know what way they want to go with season 2 so they left everything open which resulted in such a tame ending.

^^^^ Yep. Its just lazy or bad writing.

Its like they put all the talented writers on the pilot and early episodes and some poor sap on a job bridge scheme has to write the finale.

Something that struck me about the finale (which it didn't on other episodes) there seemed to be a lot of "knowing looks", "gormless looks", "what do we do now looks" - saves on dialogue I suppose.

^^^^ Yep. Its just lazy or bad writing.

Its like they put all the talented writers on the pilot and early episodes and some poor sap on a job bridge scheme has to write the finale.

Something that struck me about the finale (which it didn't on other episodes) there seemed to be a lot of "knowing looks", "gormless looks", "what do we do now looks" - saves on dialogue I suppose.

About the looks. Had they had dialogue along the lines of "oh no were trapped" or "whatever shall we do" or "I think I know what she's up to", people would have complained about that too.

Dr Fuzz - that's an absolutely fair comment.

And, yes the look is a perfectly useful dramatic tool - there just seemed (to me) to be too many of them. And no I wouldn't have been happy with papp "Oh no" dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Does anyone else ever want to watch a TV series with an actual ending? I dont want another season/series of Humans. I expected 8 episodes and a conclusion. I hate when, just because something is well received, they decide to go on past the original ending and then go nuts with crazy new stories just to keep it going.

Eeden wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever want to watch a TV series with an actual ending? I dont want another season/series of Humans. I expected 8 episodes and a conclusion. I hate when, just because something is well received, they decide to go on past the original ending and then go nuts with crazy new stories just to keep it going.

Don't ever watch any 70's French movies. They start at a random part in the character's life and end at an equally random point in time. Whatever happens inbetween is your story. :D
    But if you look at life, that's how it all happens. Things don't always start at a logical point, run a certain course and come to a neat conclusion. If real life was a script, it would get absolutely panned by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

...Things don't always start at a logical point, run a certain course and come to a neat conclusion. If real life was a script, it would get absolutely panned by everyone.

I know. But I don't watch TV series expecting them to be exactly like my life. Otherwise I would expect them to last for years and years and years. :p

Eeden wrote: »
    I know. But I don't watch TV series expecting them to be exactly like my life. Otherwise I would expect them to last for years and years and years. :p

That would be a soap opera then...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

i enjoyed the last episode while watching it, then i came on here and read everything that was wrong with and now im dissapointed :rolleyes: . i did see it trailing off though towards the end, tis a pity cause it really was great in the beginning. i suppose the last episodes saving grace is that it has set up the next series quite nicely, hope they bring it back with a bang, colin morgen is good and i reckon he can be better given the right script, same goes for the synths.

Old Perry wrote: »
    i enjoyed the last episode while watching it, then i came on here and read everything that was wrong with and now im dissapointed :rolleyes: . i did see it trailing off though towards the end, tis a pity cause it really was great in the beginning. i suppose the last episodes saving grace is that it has set up the next series quite nicely, hope they bring it back with a bang, colin morgen is good and i reckon he can be better given the right script, same goes for the synths.

And that's why I never normally read any discussions on any film or TV show I like. Too many people on there "let me demonstrate my superior intellect by pointing out everything wrong with this!" and God help you if you ever entertain getting drawn into a discussion, "No, you shouldn't like it, for reasons I will now very clearly lay out and prove to you once again how rubbish it was".
    Read the message boards on IMDB. Jaysis. Just look at Citizen Kane and you will find loads of "This was the greatest piece of boring shoite I've ever seen!" and it's not good enough for this guy not to have liked it, they then have to start a massive argument with people who do like it and they must convince them they're wrong.
    Sod that. I may be just an ordinary, blue collared slob, but I know what I likes on TV! If I like it, I like it and if others don't, fine by me. Humans is a great bit of telly and there isn't enough stuff that is a bit "out there". Way too much historical dramas out there, now THOSE bore me to tears. Nothing wrong with it, but too much "monkey see. monkey do" in TV land. Of course this was based on a Swedish TV series, but it's still a departure from the usual pap and reality-warmed-up-vomit TV that's normally on.

• Advertisement

Season 2 News

Here’s the official Season 2 logline:
    The second season picks up several months after the events of season one, with Niska still at large and in possession of the consciousness code. Her synth family, Mia, Leo and Max, unaware of her location, are each trying to find their place in the world while Joe and Laura attempt to mend their marriage. As unconfirmed reports of synths behaving inexplicably surface, the ripple effects of one simple yet seismic decision sees the past return dramatically and surprisingly to the door of the Hawkins house. Joe, Laura and the entire family are faced with a difficult choice that will put the family under an intense spotlight. As an emerging form of intelligent life – the synths – and an established one – humanity – fight for their places in the world, a thrilling multi-stranded narrative evolves which continues to ask: who has the right to determine what it means to be alive?

Humans is slated to return in 2017. (*unconfirmed)

Humans Season 2: Carrie-Anne Moss and Sam Palladio Joining Cast
    A pair of familiar looking Humans are boarding the sci-fi drama’s Season 2 cast.

Jessica Jones‘ Carrie-Anne Moss and Nashville‘s Sam Palladio have joined the acclaimed AMC series, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Moss will play the series-regular role of Dr. Athena Morrow, a pre-eminent Artificial Intelligence expert who is driven by her own motives to create a new kind of machine consciousness. Palladio, meanwhile, takes on the recurring role of Ed, a struggling café owner trying to breathe life into his family business.

Production on Humans‘ 8-episode second season is currently underway and will continue through summer, and is not expected to interfere with Moss and Palladio’s respective first-position jobs on Jessica Jones and Nashville (both of which are currently on hiatus).
    Prison Break‘s Marshall Allman is also set to appear in Season 2 as Milo Khoury, a young Silicon Valley billionaire, founder and CEO of a leading technology company.

humans_series_2_cast.jpg?itok=QZedgtBc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

2017? Really? Damn, I thought it would be back around June/July of this year... :(

2017? Really? Damn, I thought it would be back around June/July of this year... :(

I thought September/October myself! They have literally just started filming Season 2.

Also, 2017 hasn't been confirmed by AMC yet, it's just the general belief.

CfcJiJuXIAA9Ow4.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny, I just finished up watching season 1, nice to then learn when to expect Season 2: I only caught a couple of episodes of the Swedish variant, so can't really comment about how the two compare, but the British version was solid and intriguing, but not without its flaws.

The writing really did fray at the edges by the last episodes, and while the show lacked basic, coherent narrative or plotting, it made up for in emotion. The finale was good example of that: the actual plot of the episode was fairly drab, but the emotional, character based material was gripping & extremely bittersweet. Karen and Pete's final scene was a good example of that: how we got there was a bit so-so, but it was all played so earnestly and with enough genuine feeling that it got away with it all & was left feeling genuine empathy for the characters as a result.

Most of all, season 1 felt like an extended pilot, too busy placing the pieces on the playing board and getting us aquatinted rather than telling any kind of particularly compelling arc. So hopefully, with the players all in their respective positions, season 2 kicks on and explores this genuinely fascinating world & its characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New Year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm looking forward to the new series. I loved it.

Am I the only one who thinks of a contraceptive method every time they hear persona. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Lisha wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks of a contraceptive method every time they hear persona. ?

Nope, I think that too. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

• Advertisement

Advertisement