Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber promo genuine or scam?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Mine was from +8613430702309, a Chinese number

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Evie477

It's so annoying last week I got a text saying it was a viber competition that I won a samsaung. So I knew it was a scam so I deleted it now today I got a text on viber saying 80% of ray bans. I knew that was probably a scam as well so I searched the number on safari and nothing important came up then I realised the number had 86 at the start and that's the China phone area code thing. Anyway the number that was texting me was +86 150 1323 9195 .
    I think it's terrible how they can get away with that stuff ! Especially since more and more younger kids have phones now and probably viber etc. and they wouldn't reliese what's happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I've got two of these messages in the last week. Kind of annoying, I just block the number but I'm sure they have plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrsLOB

I got this tonight from this number +86 137 2493 6629

• Registered Users Posts: 2 durban

I just got the message too but from
    viberplusbeta.com
    but when the user was spelt "Beata" it had to be a scam.
    They seem to always make an obvious mistake in their
    marketing programme...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I got this yesturday from a China number, second time I got one of these s6 winner messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got one this morning. Blocked and deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leitlite

i received message today from +8615011832714 saying i won samsung galaxys6 i googled here and i see all the spam messages in relation to this. What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mymy88

got it from 086135237, i wonder if you reply what would happen saying stop spamming me

• Registered Users Posts: 7 opencurtin

You wont get a phone but you will get a surprise and not a nice one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Got another one today saying I had won a Mac airbook . It did mention Vodafone as well in the message and has a link to give details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bikezz

Ok - - here's my few cents worth:

My message also was from one of them dodgy numbers +387603975836

* * * * Please don't try what I have reproduced below. 1) I'm behind a firewall 2) I'm using external tools to get these results. A few years ago catching people doing sstuff like this used to be my job. * * * *

The message had a link viberpromotion dot xyz (ok .xyz is a bit of an obvious issue)
    So, if you follow on from that link, it takes you to whatsappromotions dot com

On that site you get a screen, supposedly validating your acceptance into the draw, and then eventually a page opens and you have to click to continue. Oh, I nearly forgot - at the bottom of the page is:

© Copyright 2015 whatsapppromotions com All Right Reserved. This website is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Viber! VIBER is a trademark of VIBER MEDIA S.À R.L.

Ok, here's the kicker - - Yes yr winning a Samsung S6 Hooray, to get the phone you have to enter your details and send the same message out to several people. These people have to keep the link going - - - - blah blah

Check the wording in this next step

"In this step you need to collect 500 points to continue by sharing our page on Viber or Whatsapp. Every shares have 100 points value."

If you aren't convinced that this is a scam yet here's the result of IP Lookup

Domain: viberpromotion dot xyz
    [ Whois Lookup - Domain Country - Domain To IP]

"here would be Ip addresses etc as I'm new on here I'm not allowed to post links etc"

Continent: Africa (AF)
    Capital: Victoria
    State: Unknown
    City Location: Unknown
    ISP: Ideal Solution Ltd
    Organization: Ideal Solution Ltd
    AS Number: AS58001 Ideal Solution Ltd

something went wrong!

something went wrong!
    Time Zone: Indian/Mahe
    Local Time: 13:55:11
    Timezone GMT offset: 14400
    Sunrise / Sunset: 06:26 / 18:21

Here's a summary for you. You are probably receiving a message from a hacker who has some hidden code to target phones and at the end. They have entered a load of numbers that they have "BOUGHT" either from "Viber" or a 3rd party who has stored your number for whatever reason. You can pretty much guarantee that if you go all the way with this 1) you'll have problems with your phone. 2) You'll also be passing these problems on to your friends.

DON'T DO IT

All done, I hope I've managed to help someone not to get their phone or computer infected.

Regards . . . Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ais p

Just got the same message from087603975955. Definitely a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

i just got it from china +8615019536266

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Got sent this just now from 08615118634 this time it was a Samsung Galaxy S6 on offer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

This is getting boring but we are doing it for the good of cyberspace? Am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lfc1978

Got a message from +8615351394841 this morning. S6 winner - woo hoo, can't wait to hand over my details to collect :)

Advertisement