Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City's population is set to double!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

crockholm wrote: »
    As a Kerryonian,I am always a bit suspicious about any potetial Cork-based power grab-it conjures up images of my own county being used as "Lebensraum" and my kith and kin being used to toil in the fields for cruel,whip-carrying,corkonian masters.
    Ah get out of that - they are more or less the same. Sure aren't Cork men only Kerry men with shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

How is this Double? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would this mean a Bus Eireann City ticket is now valid for Ballincollig as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Cormac... wrote: »
    How is this Double? :-/

≈119,000 doubled ≈ 238,000 the report says 235,000 so very close to double in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You'd totally find some Dubliners getting really defensive about criticisms of Dublin, come on (I like Dublin btw and have lived there).

I'm in my 30s, born and grew up in Cork, and I see FAR more people talking about how Cork people say we're from the real capital etc, than it actually happening. I know it exists, but not to the extent people say it does; none of my circles go on with that silliness.
    There is ridiculous anti Cork sentiment too (I don't mean the jokes) which is seriously stupid.

I've never really heard it either. The whole real capital and Peoples Republic of Cork thing is usually said in a light-hearted or joking manner on the rare occasions i have heard it and yet some people outside Cork take it too seriously and almost seem offended by it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

crockholm wrote: »
    As a Kerryonian,I am always a bit suspicious about any potetial Cork-based power grab-it conjures up images of my own county being used as "Lebensraum" and my kith and kin being used to toil in the fields for cruel,whip-carrying,corkonian masters.
    The Cork crowd don't need whips. Shure the smell of Drisheen is motivation enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I've never really heard it either. The whole real capital and Peoples Republic of Cork thing is usually said in a light-hearted or joking manner on the rare occasions i have heard it and yet some people outside Cork take it too seriously and almost seem offended by it.

Yeh ... the whole thing is a bit eye rolling sometimes.

Was started by the Peoples Republic of Cork website I thought :)

FFS people in Cork even go on about each other ... Knocka, D'Collig and Mayfield being shítholes and Blackrock, Glasheen being all posho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeh ... the whole thing is a bit eye rolling sometimes.

Was started by the Peoples Republic of Cork website I thought :)

FFS people in Cork even go on about each other ... Knocka, D'Collig and Mayfield being shítholes and Blackrock, Glasheen being all posho :pac:

Glasheen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

As far as Cork is concerned, to me it feels like a mid sized town. I'd be glad to see it expand, including expanded transport infrastructure and hopefully develop a regional economy with it's own identity. Definitely a strong Cork-Dublin-Belfast transport link (i'd love to see an express train operating off a separate line stopping only at the 3 stations, pipe dreams) would help that aim.

The Cork region has a strong tourism offering, an expanded Cork city with improved infrastructure should be welcomed.

Only a small bit condescending there. Don't worry though. Nobody saw your chip.

Cork doesn't need to "develop a regional economy with it's own identity". It already has one and a strong one at that. It's not the size of Dublin's for obvious reasons, but it is comparable in per capita terms. Are you suggesting they abandon their successful regional economic strategy and solely target tourism? Would that make all of us up here feel better about ourselves? Validate some insular notions about the rest of the country? Have you ever been to Cork City? It has nothing of note in terms of tourism, nor does it pretend to. Why would it abandon industry and shift to tourism?

We live in a section of a small island on the periphery of Europe. We really can't afford this "competing parish" nonsense anymore. Would you prefer Dublin be the only net contributor to the economy and have to carry the rest of the country, effectively pumping money out of Dublin? No. I'm sure you would not. Dublin, Cork and Kildare are the net contributors to the economy. We should be looking for 23 more, not one less.

billyduk wrote: »

Cork doesn't need to "develop a regional economy with it's own identity". It already has one and a strong one at that. It's not the size of Dublin's for obvious reasons, but it is comparable in per capita terms. Are you suggesting they abandon their successful regional economic strategy and solely target tourism? Would that make all of us up here feel better about ourselves? Validate some insular notions about the rest of the country? Have you ever been to Cork City? It has nothing of note in terms of tourism, nor does it pretend to. Why would it abandon industry and shift to tourism?

We live in a section of a small island on the periphery of Europe. We really can't afford this "competing parish" nonsense anymore. Would you prefer Dublin be the only net contributor to the economy and have to carry the rest of the country, effectively pumping money out of Dublin? No. I'm sure you would not. Dublin, Cork and Kildare are the net contributors to the economy. We should be looking for 23 more, not one less.

Sure you get this all the time in Ireland.

There's a concept of "the City" and "the country"

I had a Dublin colleague once tell a woman from Belfast who was lamenting about her childhood on the Falls Road that "It must have been great growing up down the country with all the cows and sheep!"

Cork-Dublin corridor is already actually pretty well served by any European comparison. There's a free-flowing motorway and now a non-stop train service (albeit just starting to be rolled out that connects the two cities in 2:15 mins which isn't too bad).

I think the biggest problem in Ireland tends to be the mentality though. Anytime you start to see the development of serious urban hubs, there's a "ah sure it's only a country town" type knocking.

It comes both from Dublin and from people who live in actual country places and just think that it's 'unfair' that cities like Cork, Limerick and Galway get major infrastructure or are chosen to site businesses ahead of their particular local village.

Cork is a regional hub already. I just wish people from the rest of Munster in its catchment are a would see it like that and make use of it more.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Sure you get this all the time in Ireland.

There's a concept of "the City" and "the country"

I had a Dublin colleague once tell a woman from Belfast who was lamenting about her childhood on the Falls Road that "It must have been great growing up down the country with all the cows and sheep!"
    I've only ever heard this sort of stupidity from Dublin colleagues, many of whom think it's basically green fields all the way to the sea outside our little city.

I've only ever heard this sort of stupidity from Dublin colleagues, many of whom think it's basically green fields all the way to the sea outside our little city.

I've encountered it quite a bit in an anti-other city hostility type mentality from rural areas too.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I've encountered it quite a bit in an anti-other city hostility type mentality from rural areas too.
    I can understand ignorance about some parts of the country - I haven't been to Donegal yet for example, or Carlow, or Wexford.

What amazes me is how some of my Dublin contemporaries are ignorant about the whole f****** country, outside their particular parish and the city centre. The same kind of ignorance about their own country that we often have a good laugh at the Americans for wrt their knowledge of the rest of the world.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

It's actually embarrassing that so many are so insular. Such a beautiful and varied country that we are lucky to live in and so many ignorant to what exists outside the M50 beltway.

I lived in Cork for a while and the stereotypes could not be farther from the truth. The only time I ever hear the "real capital" nonsense is from fellow Dubs. Cork people really don't think about Dublin all that much in my experience.

Dublin is already a great city. We don't need to lower ourselves into insecure jibes about the rest of the country to validate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

What a bizarre reaction. You've found something to be upset about and ran with it.

Yes, I've been to Cork and it has a small town feel to it. That's my opinion. I'm from Belfast, I'd say the same about it. What I'm saying in my post is that it would help Ireland if the East Coast economy actually grew beyond Dublin and that extending the Cork (and Belfast...actually linking the 3 would with quicker transport links be great) infrastructure needs to be expanded to accomodate that.

I've literally idea what you're on about regarding tourism. Again, you've invented something to be annoyed about, something I've not even mentioned and had a bit of a rant. No point in responding to it.

What I am saying is that this expansion is a good thing if it's backed up with an adequate expansion of infrastructure. There is space for the Cork region's economy to grow.

Tell me about this chip you think I have? I'm actually saying that Cork (and Belfast) should have better links to each other via Dublin to promote and "Eastern Corridor" of economic activity.

Looks like you didn't really take that on board. It does sound like you were looking for something to be upset about !

What a bizarre reaction. You've found something to be upset about and ran with it.

Yes, I've been to Cork and it has a small town feel to it. That's my opinion. I'm from Belfast, I'd say the same about it. What I'm saying in my post is that it would help Ireland if the East Coast economy actually grew beyond Dublin and that extending the Cork (and Belfast...actually linking the 3 would with quicker transport links be great) infrastructure needs to be expanded to accomodate that.

I've literally idea what you're on about regarding tourism. Again, you've invented something to be annoyed about, something I've not even mentioned and had a bit of a rant. No point in responding to it.

What I am saying is that this expansion is a good thing if it's backed up with an adequate expansion of infrastructure. There is space for the Cork region's economy to grow.

Tell me about this chip you think I have? I'm actually saying that Cork (and Belfast) should have better links to each other via Dublin to promote and "Eastern Corridor" of economic activity.

Looks like you didn't really take that on board. It does sound like you were looking for something to be upset about !

You made an assumption (falsely) that there is little in the way of a regional economic identity in the SW/Cork. I argue to the contrary. Cork is very slightly (a little over 1%) below Dublin's economy in terms of economic production on a per capita basis. Dublin's overall economy is obviously a lot larger based on its size. Cork is not Dublin, will never be Dublin and will never compete with Dublin. It doesn't pretend to. It has a mature regional economy that supports the SW region.

I disagreed with you because you presented assumptions as if they were fact. Do you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of having a "bizarre reaction" and being "upset"? Because that, ironically, is a bizarre reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

You made an assumption (falsely) that there is little in the way of a regional economic identity in the SW/Cork. I argue to the contrary. Cork is very slightly (a little over 1%) below Dublin's economy in terms of economic production on a per capita basis. Dublin's overall economy is obviously a lot larger based on its size. Cork is not Dublin, will never be Dublin and will never compete with Dublin. It doesn't pretend to. It has a mature regional economy that supports the SW region.

I disagreed with you because you presented assumptions as if they were fact. Do you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of having a "bizarre reaction" and being "upset"? Because that, ironically, is a bizarre reaction.

I notice you're not referencing your bizarre "chip on the shoulder" and "tourism" drivel. I suppose that's progress. It was bizarre, and seemingly an emotional reaction as it wasn't based on anything I had said.

I honestly don't know what you think I'm disagreeing with you here. Cork is not Dublin? Correct. The idea of "competing" is something you have inserted here, I am suggesting they should be complementary rather than competitive. Ireland is too small for such a regional mindset.

Is there more space for infrastructure development in Cork and Belfast and indeed the whole East Coast Corridor? Yes, I believe there is. Right now Dublin has an international identity as a centre for financial technology and offshore finance. That's a reference I hear outside of Ireland. I think in the North there is potential for an extension of this using Belfast's unique legal and UK finance exposure/knowledge. A lot of these are indigenous companies, there is room for the manufacturing capacity in Cork to grow even further and the next logical step is local companies growing into international players.

I'm saying I hope Cork grows it's economy, it's own economic production. A dreadful attack indeed on the poor people of Cork. How very dare I...

I notice you're not referencing your bizarre "chip on the shoulder" and "tourism" drivel. I suppose that's progress. It was bizarre, and seemingly an emotional reaction as it wasn't based on anything I had said.

I honestly don't know what you think I'm disagreeing with you here. Cork is not Dublin? Correct. The idea of "competing" is something you have inserted here, I am suggesting they should be complementary rather than competitive. Ireland is too small for such a regional mindset.

Is there more space for infrastructure development in Cork and Belfast and indeed the whole East Coast Corridor? Yes, I believe there is. Right now Dublin has an international identity as a centre for financial technology and offshore finance. That's a reference I hear outside of Ireland. I think in the North there is potential for an extension of this using Belfast's unique legal and UK finance exposure/knowledge. A lot of these are indigenous companies, there is room for the manufacturing capacity in Cork to grow even further and the next logical step is local companies growing into international players.

I'm saying I hope Cork grows it's economy, it's own economic production. A dreadful attack indeed on the poor people of Cork. How very dare I...

You stated that Cork should focus on tourism. It was the last line of your comment. The point you have made above was not made in a succinct fashion in your original post. I took it literally which is all you can do in an open context. Apologies if I misinterpreted based on this.

I agree with you in terms of development and a mutually beneficial corridor. I have lived in Cork and seen the tooth and nail battle that the local councils, enterprise boards, chambers of commerce etc. have with regard to infrastructure (and this was during the boom years). Manufacturing is dead or dying in most developed economies and I wouldn't see Cork moving back into that sector any time soon. I think Cork has maxed out it's Pharma draw and the growth areas at the moment seem to be in IT and energy. I'd like to see a continued push in IT and incentives for indigenous renewables.

With NI imitating ROI's corporate taxation strategy, I think there is massive scope for a common economic strategy for the island and I agree that a well planned North East to South corridor would be a massive step in the right direction. This parochial nonsense of TD's lobbying and securing the positioning of multinationals in the back ass of nowhere is what we need to move away from. Grow provincial hubs that can support the rest of the region.

There's actually probably more of an important Dublin-Cork link in some ways than Dublin-Belfast due to the way the Irish economy works and Belfast being in a different jurisdiction.

It's changed a good bit over the years, but the Dublin-Belfast connection is still basically two neighbouring countries linked up rather than two cities within the same country.

Advertisement