Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City's population is set to double!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Still good for the country. Cork will be better positioned to act as a counterweight to Dublin.

they need to earn their place at the top table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

they need to earn their place at the top table
    What fresh idiocy is this? What does that even mean?

Trials of strength? A song contest? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they can expand it all they like, it will never be the capital.

More stupidity. Dublin can expand all it likes, it will never be London.

Christ on a bike. Where do they come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

......proposal would see the population of the city increase from 119,000 to 235,000.

...its my fault, me and the rest of the liberal brigade. We said it could never happen, but now it has, and we're all going to suffer the consequences. I'm sorry Ireland, so so sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Indeed. The mighty chest-thumping of the Dublin master-race is well in evidence. Do those people ever travel, I wonder? They might get a sense of Dublin's true importance and centrality if they did.
    What fresh idiocy is this? What does that even mean?

Trials of strength? A song contest? :confused:
    More stupidity. Dublin can expand all it likes, it will never be London.

Christ on a bike. Where do they come from?

Will ya relax, boi.

anncoates wrote: »
    Will ya relax, boi.
    So much idiocy, it's pretty hard to. Can you be a 'boi' when you were born in the Coombe?

So much idiocy, it's pretty hard to. Can you be a 'boi' when you were born in the Coombe?[

Cork Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So much idiocy, it's pretty hard to. Can you be a 'boi' when you were born in the Coombe?

Have you no pride in the great capital city you were fortunate enough to be born in?:confused:

Have you no pride in the great capital city you were fortunate enough to be born in?:confused:
    Sadly I wasn't born in a 'great capital', I was born in Dublin. Having lived in actual big cities (London, Buenos Aires), I can't help laughing at the pretensions and lack of insight of some Dubliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why would you even give a f**k though? Why would anybody?

osarusan wrote: »
    Why would you even give a f**k though? Why would anybody?
    That's a rather vague question, if you don't mind me saying.

Having lived in actual big cities (London, Buenos Aires),

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/33/618x523/pa-14197842.jpg

anncoates wrote: »
    I left out the really swanky places I lived so as not to make you feel bad...ingratitude...*mumble mumble*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Now if only we could halve the population of Dublin by flooding in order to make a nice big scumfree lake :) that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

If they expand it, I hope they will make it easier to actually get to the place. There are no dedicated bus or train links to the city from many places around the country, especially in the midlands and west.

You have to go to Dublin heuston first, then take the train down to Cork City, which costs an absolute bomb (65 euro!) and the journey can take as long as 6 hours from Mayo. Even getting the bus for a return ticket is about 40 euro, with the journey taking 5 hours because Galway is the only station which goes straight to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Now if only we could halve the population of Dublin by flooding in order to make a nice big scumfree lake :) that would be great.

You want to create a swamp full of mutant amphibian skangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Oh for **** sake, more Corkonians, the last thing this country needs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

TommyOM wrote: »
    Oh for **** sake, more Corkonians, the last thing this country needs :rolleyes:

What? Since when did being from Cork County mean you weren't a Corkonian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We all least now we won't have to go Dublin for our needles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

All those places are a fair bit away from what i'd consider the city limits with maybe the exception of Blarney.
    Not even Ballincollig? Makes sense to include Carrigaline too I think. Not Carrigtwohill though.
    Don't think "they" are aiming for it to be the capital? It's only an administrative move. There are areas that are county when they're more like city now, so that is being addressed, is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not even Ballincollig? Makes sense to include Carrigaline too I think. Not Carrigtwohill though.

Don't think "they" are aiming for it to be the capital? It's only an administrative move. There are areas that are county when they're more like city now, so that is being addressed, is all.

Ballincollig and Carrigaline definitely. Cobh and Midleton should be county tho.
    Funny to see the Dubs in a twist because of a Cork thread about the city population growing,a person gets stabbed on the Luas and we all have to pay attention.The sooner the country is decentralized the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

smurgen wrote: »
    Ballincollig and Carrigaline definitely. Cobh and Midleton should be county tho.
    Funny to see the Dubs in a twist because of a Cork thread about the city population growing

I doubt many dubs give a rats arse I wouldn't let a few teenagers bother you.

I'd guess the reason for Cobh and Middleton is they are becoming somewhat integrated into the city due to the rail network (the Cart).

Also this is just the city council's wish list, an opening bargaining position to take on the larger county council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Midleton yeah IMO, not Cobh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I think this is an excellent step forward for the city. Ireland needs a second decent sized urban area - and no that is not Castlebar - not so much to offset the power base of Dublin (that's actually a fantastic thing for the entire country), but to create an economic corridor between the two. Something Ireland is lacking badly in. By building up Cork all the towns in between will benefit.

to the people saying Dublin is small. It is not. It is classified as a major city by all international criteria. It is neither a small, nor low density city by any means when gauged against other comparable cities.

It is not a super city like New York, Paris, London, Tokyo. However, neither is Amsterdam, Prague, Munich, Helsinki or San Francisco.

There is something spectacularly retarded about most Irish people in that they think a city has to be a mega city the size of LA or Shanghai before it is considered an important or major city.

Cork doubling its population, the entire country wins. The problem we had in this country was people wanting to build 'Western Rail Corridors' between Tubbercurry and Gort when we should be building a high speed rail link between Dublin and Belfast and now Cork. Larger cities are a huge step in the right direction for this country.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    It is not a super city like New York, Paris, London, Tokyo. However, neither is Amsterdam, Prague, Munich, Helsinki or San Francisco.
    I think the people of Amsterdam and Munich would be laughing their asses off to be bracketed with Dublin, probably the others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I think the people of Amsterdam and Munich would be laughing their asses off to be bracketed with Dublin, probably the others too.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? It's very comparable to Dublin.

Ranchu wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Amsterdam? It's very comparable to Dublin.
    Several times. And it's as different as it is similar.

Again, I think there's an element of Irish people hearing 'Dublin' on the news a lot and somehow thinking it's as recognised and 'important' (if that's the right word) internationally as cities like Amsterdam and Munich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Cork is by far and away the most entitled and martyr-ish county I've ever encountered.

There, I said it.

Advertisement