Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City's population is set to double!

Options
  • 19-05-2015 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

CORK City Council has unveiled its proposal for a new city region, expanding its boundary to include Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Blarney, Carrigtwohill and Cork Airport.
    In an updated submission to the boundary committee deciding the matter, the City Council said its proposal would see the population of the city increase from 119,000 to 235,000.

The problem is the number of councillors will only increase by 5 from 31 to 36.

Still good for the country. Cork will be better positioned to act as a counterweight to Dublin.

Link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Better order some more chips, thats an awful lot of shoulders that are gonna need covering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's too many councillors as it is countrywide.

You'd be very hard pressed to call Ballincollig or the Airport "Cork City". It's like calling Saggart or Rathcoole part of Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sick of all these 'district boundary change' threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

All those places are a fair bit away from what i'd consider the city limits with maybe the exception of Blarney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

keano_afc wrote: »
    Better order some more chips, thats an awful lot of shoulders that are gonna need covering. :)

Maybe you could lend your one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rebel forum
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Cork has popped

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Inferiority complex coupled with size envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Oh no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Let's rename it Langerville and be done with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Still good for the country.
    I doubt it will make even the slightest bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We'll need to quarantine the area as soon as possible and seal off the infection before it spreads further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sick of all these Cork threads. You swear it was the only place in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Great. When I return to the country I don't want to have to move to Dublin for work. Grow cork, grow... Someone sprinkle some of this go juice in Galway too. It'll be like a golden triangle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The likes of Carrigtwohill and Ballincollig should have their own town councils with the right to take some of the taxes raised in that area (household charge, corpoate tax etc.) and spend them in their areas.

By doing this you actually increase the number of councillors, but they are people who are active in one small local community instead of being spread out over a larger area.

Locally raised taxes means that towns are less dependant on "grants" etc. from central government and will be less dependant on voting in people from the usual political parties.

Councillors don't need to be paid daft amounts of money with huge expenses, look at some of the systems on the continent and see how they manage. We don't need to take in their systems 100% but look at whats working for them and what isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Still good for the country. Cork will be better positioned to act as a counterweight to Dublin.

Link.

Increasing the size of Cork might well position it better to act as a counterweight to Dublin. Increasing the size of the area administered by Cork city council won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

McCains are gonna need to up their production of chips so, got a lot more empty shoulders that will need one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

235 thousand.

What a teeming metropolis that will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No, the problem is the number of people in Cork will double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

anncoates wrote: »
    235 thousand.

What a teeming metropolis that will be.
    Indeed, compared to the mighty world city that is...provincial backwater Dublin.

Anyone ever hear the expression, 'tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence'? I'm a Dub myself, but the misplaced arrogance of other Dubs always makes me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sick of all these Cork threads. You swear it was the only place in Ireland

Well Cork is the only place in Ireland called Cork...and like it's the same anywhere, you could be in Sweden or Australia or Mars and like you couldn't say this is Cork but when you're in Cork you can always say, well you're in Cor like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It might be a good thing if this Cork Lebenstraum means a reduction in the size of Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was in Cork once.

Indeed, compared to the mighty world city that is...provincial backwater Dublin.

Anyone ever hear the expression, 'tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence'? I'm a Dub myself, but the misplaced arrogance of other Dubs always makes me laugh.

Well to be fair, a thread celebrating being a 'counterweight to Dublin" by conflating the redrawing of local authority boundaries with an increase in population kind of set the minnow trend there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It might be a good thing if this Cork Lebenstraum means a reduction in the size of Tipperary

**** off, you can have limerick! You really think ye'd have a chance if we mobilized Carrick and tipp town?!?! You have been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    No, the problem is the number of people in Cork will double.

No it won't. They're already there. Another 115,00 ain't be made overnight.
    this doesn't belong in after hours. Its already descending into the usual old tripe.

Sick of all these 'district boundary change' threads.

Can usually avoid them by not reading the relevant regional forums.

Usually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its just a far overdue boundary extension, at the moment the official urban area of Cork by land area is far smaller then Galway etc even though the greater urban population is much bigger.
    As for Cork airport there's all of one minute of green belt between it and togher.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

podmu80 wrote: »
    this doesn't belong in after hours. Its already descending into the usual old tripe.
    Indeed. The mighty chest-thumping of the Dublin master-race is well in evidence. Do those people ever travel, I wonder? They might get a sense of Dublin's true importance and centrality if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cork will be better positioned to act as a counterweight to Dublin.
    Cork is a useless counterweight - it floats ffs!

Advertisement