Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City's population is set to double!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Take it from a Dub: the parochial superiority complex around these parts is just as annoying.

"You're from Cork? BOGGER!"
    "You're from Limerick? BOGGER!"

Ever been to Cork, Limerick, etc.?

"No - why would I bother?"

Very tiresome, and ignorant. Meanwhile, people who've lived in real cities are laughing up their sleeves at them...

Please stop calling yourself a Dub. You sound like a turf muncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

anncoates wrote: »

Maybe he's just a Dub who decided to live outside Dublin for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

anncoates wrote: »
    I am more of a Londoner these days, but while I'm back in Dublin, I suppose I'll don the old embarrassing label...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Let's rename it Langerville and be done with it!
    Jon_459 wrote: »
    With a population of 235,000 at least call in Langertown!

I like where yer headed here but I'm gonna put forward Langer Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

how in the blue **** is it racism ?

If you spoke that way about Black or Asian people it'd be racist and I think we all agree that Cork people are quite special so I think we can qualify as a proto-race so, yes, I think it is racist to speak about the great Cork race in such a prejudicial and stereotypical manner.

Please stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Whats with all the cork haters

If you spoke that way about Black or Asian people it'd be racist and I think we all agree that Cork people are quite special so I think we can qualify as a proto-race so, yes, I think it is racist to speak about the great Cork race in such a prejudicial and stereotypical manner.

Please stop.
    I'm not sure this is as funny as you hope... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm not sure this is as funny as you hope... ;)

What do you mean funny? Funny how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

xabi wrote: »
    Bull, im here a few years and have heard it loads, from Cork people mostly, and if i call them on it they usually get serious and try to explain why Cork is the real capital.

Exactly, its as if they keep repeating the same old diatribe repeatedly somehow it becomes true or they might actually convince themselves.

Once I posted on another forum how cork was not the center of the universe, and like most Irish towns nothing but a gray dank concrete drab sight, with basically nothing of beauty in the city, or how it was no venice.
    Its my home but lets call a spade a spade.

I was met with insults and called a brit , homosexual, a unionist etc as the very thought that someone from cork could not see it in any other way was abhorrent to them, when I slated the GAA team mods banned me, thats the mentality I see daily.

Please stop.

oh dear.

The fact cork people think they are superior to other people based solely on where they come from makes them the racist ones.

Every town, city and country on this globe regardless of sex, color, race, religion has good and bad, coming from a certain area does not make a person better and to think it does makes those elitist bigots

• Advertisement

I was met with insults and called a brit , homosexual, a unionist etc as the very thought that someone from cork could not see it in any other way was abhorrent to them, when I slated the GAA team mods banned me, thats the mentality I see daily.
    Better standard of discussion than if you dare criticise Sinn Fein at least...

my days of discussing politics are long over, disillusioned would be an understatement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Chips on shoulders?

The only chips I see here are ones like:

Anger as Dubs, Begrudgers and Culchies Unite in Outrage over Possibility of Second City's Expansionist Plans.

The most important thing is that we prevent, at all costs, the development of a decent scale 2nd city. We couldn't possibly have anything like that - it would go against centuries of tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

You meet some arsehole who happens to be from Cork and come to the conclusion that they must be all like that.

OK.

It's called corkophobia

A common affliction suffered mostly in Dublin and the Midlands I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I dont like dublin, but you wont find dublin people crying over my comments, likewise with limerick
    You'd totally find some Dubliners getting really defensive about criticisms of Dublin, come on (I like Dublin btw and have lived there).

I'm in my 30s, born and grew up in Cork, and I see FAR more people talking about how Cork people say we're from the real capital etc, than it actually happening. I know it exists, but not to the extent people say it does; none of my circles go on with that silliness.
    There is ridiculous anti Cork sentiment too (I don't mean the jokes) which is seriously stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

People, people...people.......

Lets not pit Cork brother against Dublin brother when there is always Cavan to be had at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Still good for the country. Cork will be better positioned to act as a counterweight to Dublin.

Even with the increase, you're not going to see a significant rise in GDP per head, and Dublin city will still outweigh Cork by 2:1.

I'm all for a more densely populated Ireland, but can we not do it the old fashion way, and breed our way to success? Offer all those ex-pats or people with citizenship some lucrative tax breaks to move back and populate the area. If they speak Irish, give them tax credits?

I'm just feeling down in the dumps that our population is so low compared to other industrialized nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So when can we expect the bid for the Winter Olympics? Ski jump down Patrick's Hill, and Canda v Belarus in the ice hockey on the Lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Even with the increase, you're not going to see a significant rise in GDP per head, and Dublin city will still outweigh Cork by 2:1.
    Eh, more like 5:1.
    I'm just feeling down in the dumps that our population is so low compared to other industrialized nations.

Why would this make you feel down in the dumps? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Love shopping in Cork. Always have a great time when I'm there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Let's rename it Langerville and be done with it!

No need to drag Dublin into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

el diablo wrote: »
    Eh, more like 5:1.

Why would this make you feel down in the dumps? :confused:

He said Dublin city but just Cork so (presuming county) would be closer to 2:1. Second part very true id see it as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The boundary extension will be a good thing. The 119,000 population has been a bit of a joke for a while now. also, the proposed boundary extension does not take in Midleton that somebody mentioned earlier.

Some of the posts in this thread have been ridiculous, so I'm going to tell a biased, but at least humorous story.

I was on the train from Dublin to Cork a few years ago when I got chatting to a few Dublin lads that were heading to an event in "Cork". We were between Mallow and Cork and they asked me how far Millstreet was from the station. I paused as I thought this was a joke, but my eventual response was "you're on the wrong f***ing train."

We were between Mallow and Cork and they asked me how far Millstreet was from the station. I paused as I thought this was a joke, but my eventual response was "you're on the wrong f***ing train."
    God bless us, sheltered Dubliners don't realise they live in a tiny county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Mildly dissapointed by the bickering. Saw the thread title and thought there had been a massive Cork-based riding session and 120,000 babies were on their way. Re-drawing boundaries isn't a population boost, it's just lines on a map.

To be honest the kind of ranting and raving and begrudgery against Cork and sometimes against Dublin and occasionally Limerick borders on pathetic.

I remember when Cork was flooded and you'd hundreds of comments about how people hoped it sank and so on.

Saw similar nasty comments about Dublin when it had water shortages recently.

Honestly, Irish people you don't so yourself proud when you're running down your two largest urban areas.

As far as I can see it's all county GAA shirt parochialism and no sense that cities are actually very important hubs of activity that are useful to the whole country.

The attitude that some Dubliners have to everywhere outside the M50 is also frankly just indicative of complete ignorance and parochialism of the worst form.

If you think referring to the rest of the country as "bloggers" and so on is clever, it isn't.

I've sat in horror as a Dublin woman told a French tourist that she had never been to outside "deh Cih hee" (and also how she also had no accent.... )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

To be fair boards has a fair share of my area is better then yours posters. Whether its an urban / rural thing, a county vs county, or this city vs that city. Plenty of silly comments come from silly people from our towns, cities and countryside.
    Small country, small fairly homogeneous population, small integrated economy and yet certain people are constantly trying to see more divisions then there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Balmed Out wrote: »
    To be fair boards has a fair share of my area is better then yours posters. Whether its an urban / rural thing, a county vs county, or this city vs that city. Plenty of silly comments come from silly people from our towns, cities and countryside.
    Small country, small fairly homogeneous population, small integrated economy and yet certain people are constantly trying to see more divisions then there are.

Typical North of the Lee comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

As a Kerryonian,I am always a bit suspicious about any potetial Cork-based power grab-it conjures up images of my own county being used as "Lebensraum" and my kith and kin being used to toil in the fields for cruel,whip-carrying,corkonian masters.

Advertisement