Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be upset if your family or best friend vote No to marriage referendum

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Since it has passed l am no longer that bothered and would let bygones be bygones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Since it has passed l am no longer that bothered and would let bygones be bygones.

It's not the vote but the attitude. Just have no interest in having people in my life who believe me to be unequal. If they expressed the same opinion for another facet of my life (if they told me I'm less as a woman than as a man for example) I would feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I'm straight but very much, pro-actively, in favour of equality.

My mother was undecided. She's strongly Catholic, but in general is quite a modern tolerant person. She planned to abstain.

My father is homophobic. He just is, and I love him to bits, but he'll never change. He can't understand it, he never will, he's afraid of "them", he thinks it's wrong, and - believe me - myself and my siblings have tried reasoning with him, but he'll never ever be OK with it. I remember introducing him to a guy I was living with who was gay - if my father hadn't known it, he would have chatted away comfortably with him - but he visibly froze, he did talk to him but it was all very very awkward. In fact, I would say he thinks he was the only gay person he's ever met. If only he knew how many he meets day to day! As far as I was concerned, he was a definite NO voter, and no point in trying to change his mind.

Both of my parents voted YES in the end. They decided that, since all seven of their children (mostly in our twenties) are YES voters, and this is the world that we're growing up in, they'd trust in our judgement and do what they could to support the equality that we want in Ireland. By the way, all seven of us (to the best of my knowledge) are straight. We just want what's right and normal. We just want it to be recognised openly as right and normal.

I'll never be able to change my dad's attitude because it's really deep-rooted. He doesn't hate gay people but he just doesn't seem able to understand it.

I'm actually quite proud of him for recognising that, and for voting YES anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Both of my parents voted YES in the end. They decided that, since all seven of their children (mostly in our twenties) are YES voters, and this is the world that we're growing up in, they'd trust in our judgement and do what they could to support the equality that we want in Ireland.
    Totally aside, but my parents basically said exactly the same thing. They were both going to vote yes anyway, but said that they mightn't even bother because, "This is your world now, there's no point in us deciding what's best when we probably won't be around to be affected by it".

As depressing a thought it may be, it's nice to hear that this idea seems to be creeping in, hopefully to displace the traditional, "I'm the head of the household and everyone must vote like me" attitude that has strangled Irish progress for so long.

Though they did vote because I explained that Bridie across the road, and the farmer who responded, "Dirty fncking bastards" when asked about the vote, would still vote, so someone needed to cancel theirs out.

Advertisement