Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be upset if your family or best friend vote No to marriage referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I have an aunt whose voting intentions arent clear as we havent discussed it. Shes the same age as my yes voting mother. We are quite close and I came out to her around 13 yrs ago and while she has been mostly okay with it, she has sometimes annoyed me by asking "who told you you were gay". But usually she doesnt mind it - she says she knows lots of gay people. I'll probably avoid discussing this with her as I don't want a row. But if she volunteers info that she votes no, then I will probably not be going round there as much.

My point is this. The yes vote would be much higher if more LGBT came out to their parents, because its very hard for a mother to go against her children. Thats why I am urging more to do so in this campaign. However I recognise that for some that is a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

Hi guys,

I am so nervous about this Friday. I have been with my boyfriend for over 13 years now. I have to visit my boyfriend's parents this weekend because his birthday is on Saturday. None of his family members have expressed their opinions. I hope I can put a brave face if it is a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

tomato1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am so nervous about this Friday. I have been with my boyfriend for over 13 years now. I have to visit my boyfriend's parents this weekend because his birthday is on Saturday. None of his family members have expressed their opinions. I hope I can put a brave face if it is a No vote.

Please tell me you are joking! FFS win or loose hold your head up, but if the no's win, you will be still equal but not just under the law (yet)

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Please tell me you are joking! FFS win or loose hold your head up, but if the no's win, you will be still equal but not just under the law (yet)

Is that type of comment make someone feel better? Or is it one way to express your anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What the?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Is that type of comment make someone feel better? Or is it one way to express your anger?

He has the right sentiment, just a...brutal way of expressing it perhaps :p.

He is right, you have nothing to be ashamed of, we are all equal, if it doesn't happen this time, it will the next time.

Keep your chin up, and remember, they're not better than you simply because they were born with a more "stereotypical" (I mean statistically) sexual orientation.

Be happy and gay :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    He has the right sentiment, just a...brutal way of expressing it perhaps :p.

He is right, you have nothing to be ashamed of, we are all equal, if it doesn't happen this time, it will the next time.

Keep your chin up, and remember, they're not better than you simply because they were born with a more "stereotypical" (I mean statistically) sexual orientation.

Be happy and gay :p.

I would expect it's not shame or embarrassment he or she would wish to hide - but devastation.

We all know we are equal - it's the fact that others wish to deny that fact which will effect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

floggg wrote: »
    I would expect it's not shame or embarrassment he or she would wish to hide - but devastation.

We all know we are equal - it's the fact that others wish to deny that fact which will effect us.
    Definitely. The thought of coming into work on Monday and having everyone commiserate and give me that look of pity but then going on with their lives because it doesn't affect them makes me feel sick inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I will be heartbroken if this doesn't pass. That's not hyperbole either. I will be really upset and I'm straight, I can dust myself off and go on safe in the knowledge my rights are still intact. It's not so easy for a person who might see this as a public statement on their relationship.

I will be upset for the gay people I know who won't be able to hold their heads up that easily, for all the couples who will have to put their lives on hold until this country finally gets its act together. I've met a few couples who are waiting to see what happens on Saturday before they know where they stand. They want to plan a wedding not a civil partnership. A CP will be tainted now if it's a No vote. What was seen as a major step forward will now look like a naff consolation prize cause that's what it is really. A facsimile of marriage is not marriage and its not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not gay but I'm a strong believer in a Yes vote and it's hurt me to hear members of my family tell me they will vote No. I have lost some respect for them in all honesty. I imagine the feeling must be even more painful for a gay person in such a situation.

I'm really concerned that the polls are going to be proven wrong like in the UK General Election and that people will vote No once in the booth. I think this would be tragic. I'd go so far as to say I'd be ashamed to be associated with this country if it's a No and we become the first country to vote against equality.

I feel it would send out the message that socially conservative Ireland still holds supremacy over our society, and that the battle for progressive values is likely to have to wait another ten to twenty years. How f*cking depressing is that prospect?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK polls were out by 2%. Margin of error. First Past The Post causes minor changes to have huge impacts.

I wouldn't be upset, what's the point, but would be very disappointed.
    A curse on all their houses)
    :D

Sorry my post was HARSH tomato1234 but I was angry after reading your post and you in a 13yr relationship, but I meant well honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I'm not gay but I'm a strong believer in a Yes vote and it's hurt me to hear members of my family tell me they will vote No. I have lost some respect for them in all honesty. I imagine the feeling must be even more painful for a gay person in such a situation.

I'm really concerned that the polls are going to be proven wrong like in the UK General Election and that people will vote No once in the booth. I think this would be tragic. I'd go so far as to say I'd be ashamed to be associated with this country if it's a No and we become the first country to vote against equality.

I feel it would send out the message that socially conservative Ireland still holds supremacy over our society, and that the battle for progressive values is likely to have to wait another ten to twenty years. How f*cking depressing is that prospect?

Absolutely 100% agree with everything in this post.
    I've been considering what to do if it's a no. The negativity, moaning and inward looking attitudes of many people is wearing thin. This would be close to the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry my post was HARSH tomato1234 but I was angry after reading your post and you in a 13yr relationship, but I meant well honestly.

To be honest I was angry reading your post.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I believe my father, my brother, and my sister will vote Yes. I think my mother will vote No. It seems no matter what counterpoints are brought to the table, her need to conform to catholic doctrine is an impenetrable bedrock. The last time we spoke about it literally ended in tears and I vowed to just not broach the subject with her again. On the contrary I have had multiple level headed conversations with my Dad. Ten years ago I'd never have thought it would be this way around.

Among those who I believe are voting yes, I've still had knots in my stomach with one or two when they came to me with arguments they heard, trying not be offended or worried that some of the total red herrings being thrown out were giving them pause. Seeing the amount of sh-t being said on radio, TV, in the papers, knowing family and friends are hearing this and reading this, and wondering what they are thinking - it is very draining. Actually sickening in some sense too... my stomach has been, on and off, somersaulting for weeks now.

I know others in similar situations with a sibling or a parent.

I think in the end we just have to be sure we don't let this, or this referendum, be a barometer of our own self worth and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I was at mass today (long story...) and the priest urged all of us to "vote with our conscience" on Friday and heavily hinted children need "stability and protection" in this confusing time. Then proceeded to talk about some old Franciscan missioner who burned homosexuals and witches at stakes but that the witches didn't deserve it because they were good people.....oh how I laughed.

What struck me though were the eye rolls, grunts and general discomfort many who were there showed. The family and I talked in gusto at what a crock of **** he was talking about and the mother said not to discount people of faith who can tell the referendum and what's being spouted by the No side as different thing entirely. Some people can surprise you for the better.

If a family member or friend were to Vote No I would be incredibly upset. I really can't imagine what I'd do (luckily they're all voting Yes). I'd guess I'd view them in an entirely different light afterwards and it would be incredibly hard to patch things up given it's a cause so strongly held by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I would avoid them. I avoid bringing it up in classes because I have a suspicion some of the middle aged people on my course might be on the no side e.g. avoiding eye contact.

Ash can you tell me what part of the country this happened in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Both my parents are voting no, and one brother would as well but I'm not sure if he's registered. It's quite upsetting. I knew my dad was voting no from the start, as he is a devout Catholic and very socially conservative in general. But was shocked to find out that my mum is voting no - I though that she was generally more liberal than my dad and has been supportive of LGBT rights in the past e.g. civil partnership etc. But she doesn't agree with the children stuff, regardless of the fact that these families already exist and with the recent legislation the referendum won't change that.

I'm not out to my parents, mainly cause I think my dad would possibly disown me. But I had thought I'd maybe have my mums support and she would help talk him around. Can't count on that now unfortunately. I can't come out to them right now because of that possibility, as I know it would literally kill me if they took it badly.

Luckily, all of my friends are voting yes and most have been out canvassing. I've been very unwell recently so couldn't do much campaigning, but it's been great to see that so many people I love are vocally in favour of a yes vote, especially seeing as that most of my family (extended family would be all no voters too, my family are very religious/conservative) aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think this thread touches indierectly on an issue -

A lot of people in Ireland simply don't know any LGBT people. I am particularly thinking of people of my parents generation - aged 60 plus. They might have met one or two and be aware of others who are gay, but they don't actually have any friends or family who are LGBT.

In that situation its a lot easier to be ignorant and also to think that its not a big deal and consequently be swayed by bogus arguments about every child needing a mammy and a daddy.

I applaud for example what Mary McAleese has done, but if her son wasn't gay would she be voting No....?

I think to be fair Donal Og Cusack deserves huge credit here for being a gay man in a community where there previously no gay men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think this thread touches indierectly on an issue -

A lot of people in Ireland simply don't know any LGBT people. I am particularly thinking of people of my parents generation - aged 60 plus. They might have met one or two and be aware of others who are gay, but they don't actually have any friends or family who are LGBT.

In that situation its a lot easier to be ignorant and also to think that its not a big deal and consequently be swayed by bogus arguments about every child needing a mammy and a daddy.

I applaud for example what Mary McAleese has done, but if her son wasn't gay would she be voting No....?

I think to be fair Donal Og Cusack deserves huge credit here for being a gay man in a community where there previously no gay men.

I think many people of my parents generation don't know any (or few) people that admit to being gay.
    My dad talks about queers and worse whenever the subject is mentioned. I would assume most gay people would avoid people like that or not come out and say "actually, I'm gay" to people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

timetogo wrote: »
    I think many people of my parents generation don't know any (or few) people that admit to being gay.
    My dad talks about queers and worse whenever the subject is mentioned. I would assume most gay people would avoid people like that or not come out and say "actually, I'm gay" to people like that.

No I wouldn't see it that way. I'm not talking about where people go out of their way to avoid a homophobe.

I'm more talking about people who are from a generation where no-one came out and as a consequence have never had a friendship or personal relationship with someone they knew to be gay.

For example, my grandmother who is now deceased had four brother who never married. Was one of them gay? I don't know. I doubt she ever considered it. However if one of them had been openly gay it would have transformed the way she saw gay people. Not that she was homophobic in the first place, rather it was something that just wasn't part of her world and therefore she would have had no particular reason to be empathetic to gay people, especially when the church would have been telling her otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Putting a face on a gay person is it. That's why the incredible canvassing done really has shown light on the very people this will all directly affect. I've seen changes in the attitudes of my family after coming out and don't regret it for a singe second because their support during this ***fest of a referendum has been stellar.

Buuuuut...had I not come out previously I really don't know where they would stand on the whole grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tony91

I'm very happy my family will be voting YES tomorrow. However, in the beginning my Mam was a NO. She thought it had to do with the church but I explained to her the referendum is about civil marriage and it opened her eyes. Now she'll be voting YES. I have many relatives and friends that will be voting YES and have been very supportive. But there are a small handful of relatives and friends that I believe will be voting NO, and that does upset me. Some are thinking of "the children" and others have been very quiet. In the beginning I said it's their opinion and I need to respect it, but to be honest now when I think about it I will be upset if someone I know votes NO, I don't think I could look at them the same ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Ash885 wrote: »
    Putting a face on a gay person is it. That's why the incredible canvassing done really has shown light on the very people this will all directly affect. I've seen changes in the attitudes of my family after coming out and don't regret it for a singe second because their support during this ***fest of a referendum has been stellar.

Buuuuut...had I not come out previously I really don't know where they would stand on the whole grand scheme of things.

That's it precisely. My family went from a position of casual homophobia and ignorance (before I came out) to exceptional allies and supporters. I used to be fairly cautious with who I was out to, even though I've been out over three years, but in the run up to the vote I decided that I was going to tell every single person in my life. And only one left, who I'm meeting this evening. It does make a difference, humanising the whole debate. Gay people are no longer abstract, but your friends, family and colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I have a lot of sympathy for people who come from families where there is hostility towards gay people. That said, there's a part of my that feels like if you haven't come out to your nearest and dearest, you've got little right to complain about the outcome of the referendum. Anybody who's come out will tell you that they've changed at least one person's opinion about gay people. This is all about exposure and normalisation. Most of us have grasped the nettle at some point, and tbh if this referendum hasn't been a good time to come out I'm not sure what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Aard wrote: »
    I have a lot of sympathy for people who come from families where there is hostility towards gay people. That said, there's a part of my that feels like if you haven't come out to your nearest and dearest, you've got little right to complain about the outcome of the referendum. Anybody who's come out will tell you that they've changed at least one person's opinion about gay people. This is all about exposure and normalisation. Most of us have grasped the nettle at some point, and tbh if this referendum hasn't been a good time to come out I'm not sure what is.

I get what you're saying but that's hardly fair on younger members of the community. Teenagers and young adults who are still dependant on their parents can't always take the risk. Its nice to think that all it takes is having a LGBT child for families be cured of homophobia/transphobia, but that's not reality and people need to put their safety and well being first.

Everyone! Free taxis to your polling stations! No excuses!

http://blog.uber.com/dublin-votes?fb_ref=Default

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

My father voted no, for reasons related to surrogacy that I felt were a bit misguided, but nothing more, and most definitely not homophobic. My mother, on the other hand, has said herself she is a homophobe, very Catholic, and is of the opinion that this affects the sanctity of her marriage. I'm not okay with this, this seems to contradict what she has said that she will love me no matter how I am; straight, gay, whatever. Her reasons for voting no personally make me feel that her love for me is conditional, that she will support me in all my endeavours as long as I'm straight. I just feel very confused by her opinions, and kind of strange that I just posted this.

So yeah, ultimately it would depend on the reasons why somebody voted no for it to upset me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

My first post in this thread was under the impression of being lucky enough to have full friends and family member support.

I now have one possible aunt who may have voted no. A cousin asked and she got all in a (quite aggressive) fluster saying it's no one business. Now, she can be a little like that anyway, so I would and am giving the benefit of the doubt, but if or when she did say for sure, I would find it very very difficult to have a sincere conversation with her again and would feel as I did in the first post that we would probably fall out of each other's lives. It's very upsetting and people who are/were in that situation have my sympathies and support.

Advertisement