Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool runnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can't believe you raced the parkrun the day before the half Dave :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can't believe you raced the parkrun the day before the half Dave :rolleyes:

+1 Over 50 team got a bronze. Maybe you could have made the team if you hadn't of raced the day before. A "real" podium position ;) Well done anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

+1 Over 50 team got a bronze. Maybe you could have made the team if you hadn't of raced the day before. A "real" podium position ;) Well done anyway

I think that's the over 55 team. There were only two of us on the 0-50 team.

Edit: Just checked the results. Yeah, I missed out there alright. My own fault.

davedanon wrote: »

A 1:33 would have gotten a silver.....

A 1:33 would have gotten a silver.....

I wasn't in 1.33 shape. At least the Fish came through to get us the bronze.

• Advertisement

well justy make sure you don't run a parkrun the weekend of DCM ;)

Sunday 2nd

Rock and Roll Half Marathon, incorporating national Half. At first I thought the weather was ideal, cool and a bit rainy, but it seemed to get very clammy and humid as this went on. The rain never materialised, and it would have been very welcome. The first two water stations I made use of only to dump some over my head. I knew I wasn't in tip-top shape for this tough course, but by the time I rounded the final corner I cared only that I was going to be able to finish, and I was even a little proud of myself for toughing it out. I've DNF'd on this race before; in fact I dropped out of 2 halves in 2013, so any one I finish I take as a victory ever since. It's a slow enough time. I was quicker over the first half of London. Also I was overtaken by a teammate, which deprived me of a team medal in the national, but in the end it's only a stepping-stone. Onward.

13.21 miles (according to Garmin) @7.18

Monday 3rd

4 miles very, very easy. I took my time with this, as the legs were tender. Just needed to loosen the muscles out.

4.08 @9.00

Tuesday 4th

Arrived at club with no more than a recovery run in mind, but nearly got sucked into a tempo before a like-minded clubmate ensured that sanity prevailed. Even so, with others pulling away rapidly once the tempo section started our pace inevitably increased. In the end a decent, tough-ish run but nothing silly.

8.11 @8.08

Wednesday 5th

8 miles easy. Did what it said on the tin.

8.36 @8.48

Thursday 6th

A number of people in the club are now following the Fitzy Plan, and on the agenda tonight was a doozy of a session - 4 miles w/u and c/d and 5x1 mile, with 3mins recovery. After some debate, we decided to do this on the track, so after the usual warm-up on the road, we hit the tartan. Last year Meno inveigled me into one of these sessions, with 4x1mile @6.20 pace. After one at the required speed, I managed a 6.40 before having to give up and go back to 800s. So an agreed pace of 6.40 was much more to my liking. The recovery was basically a very slow lap. As I type this I can report that my feet, as well as my legs, are aching. Judging by the stress and effort, this was a hell of a session which should yield very positive results. I'm kinda glad I won't be running tomorrow though.

2.22 @8.55

5.85 including jogged recoveries (6.31, 6.36, 6.37, 6.31, 6.36)

2.21 @9.00

I love how people always agree a target for the reps and then proceed to run them significantly faster :)
    I was disappointed to miss last night, hopefully will be up for it next week.

Sunday 2nd

Thursday 6th

A number of people in the club are now following the Fitzy Plan, and on the agenda tonight was a doozy of a session - 4 miles w/u and c/d and 5x1 mile, with 3mins recovery.

Ha ha Fitzy only discovered on Tuesday that people were following it. The original plan had

10 mile steady run OR 10 mile run with 6 miles @ marathon pace OR 2 mile w/u, 4/5 * 1 mile @ 10k pace (3 minute jog recovery) and 2 mile cool down

There was a bit of wiggle room, depending on how tired legs were. I just did 10 miles steady myself. Hope your legs aren't fried!

By the way I'm heading down to Charleville on my own now and have a twin room if you've nowhere to stay. However assuming you haven't entered I'd recommend looking at the flat line the week before and then the kiomarathon on the 26th, it's the better option in terms of DCM training. The rest of the lads are going to race the flat line and then do the kilomarathon at marathon pace. The kilomarathon is too close to Charleville.

I love how people always agree a target for the reps and then proceed to run them significantly faster :)
    I was disappointed to miss last night, hopefully will be up for it next week.

I did query the first one, and they were like 'well, 6.30- 6.40, it's grand', so I just went with it.

• Advertisement

Ha ha Fitzy only discovered on Tuesday that people were following it. The original plan had

10 mile steady run OR 10 mile run with 6 miles @ marathon pace OR 2 mile w/u, 4/5 * 1 mile @ 10k pace (3 minute jog recovery) and 2 mile cool down

There was a bit of wiggle room, depending on how tired legs were. I just did 10 miles steady myself. Hope your legs aren't fried!

By the way I'm heading down to Charleville on my own now and have a twin room if you've nowhere to stay. However assuming you haven't entered I'd recommend looking at the flat line the week before and then the kiomarathon on the 26th, it's the better option in terms of DCM training. The rest of the lads are going to race the flat line and then do the kilomarathon at marathon pace. The kilomarathon is too close to Charleville.

I might take you up on that. I'll give you a shout on it next week.

Friday 7th

Day off. Family wedding.

Saturday

I had actually written the weekend off as regards running, with the wedding and a bbq the next day, but we escaped the festivities at around 3am, which was good going, and as the bbq was scheduled for 4pm or so we were able to come home on Saturday lunchtime, and I somehow dragged myself out for, well, I didn't know what. After starting on my usual route I changed tack, as I didn't want to end up doing laps of Tymon. I see enough of that bloody park as it is. I headed up over the new bridge to Old Bawn, then all the way up Kiltipper before cutting across though the fields towards the waterworks. Went over on my ankle at one point, and it's sore and a bit swollen. When I reached the waterworks I decided to run a mile up towards the first reservoir, and ended up doing a bit more, so that I had 6 miles done when I reached the gate again. Then I headed back down through the park again to the old folks home, down past Rovers stadium, onto Firhouse road West and back into the park at old Bawn. This took me down all the way to the car park near the Spawell, and then I hit Tymon and needed only one lap before using the park again to bring me back up towards home. My basic fitness got me through the first 10-12, but after that it got tough, as the less than ideal preparation became evident.

18.01 @8.40

Sunday

A bonus. The other half had no interest in going boozing again once she got her feet up at home on Saturday afternoon, so I drove out to Howth on my own with half a notion of making a night of it and staying over, but after a couple of pints I changed my mind, said my goodbyes and headed for home, and so was able to get out early this morning. I arranged to be at the Old Mill around 9am to intercept the crew, and tagged along for part of their 18 miler. I was like a 90 year old leaving the house and struggled the half mile up the Firhouse rd, and when I saw them coming up from Tallaght village, I knew I was in for a rough few miles, as they were steaming along at about 8min pace. The ankle was aching a bit too, but the company made it worthwhile. I turned back at the back gate while they headed for the duck loop, and I was unable to go any quicker than about 8.45min pace, but I got 9 miles out of it in the end. Absolutely delira to end up with 6 runs this week, and the long run in the bag. These social engagements can play hell with the training.

9.02 @8.39

Weekly total: 58 miles

Monday 10th

Easy run. Very, very easy, as quite tired after the weekend. The Fitzy plan tantalisingly offers a rest option today, but I decided to drag the old carcass out in the late afternoon. Met up with a club legend halfway around, and ended up at the 6 mile point by the time I bade him farewell. Very happy to keep the weekly average up, and felt much better by the time I finished.

8.53 @9.29

Are you heading down for the tempo tomorrow?

Yup, I be there.

Tuesday 11th

Tuesday night is tempo night. The others were doing 6 miles, at a slower pace than hitherto, which caused me to dither somewhat over my own plans. In the end I decided to do 6 at my regular 7min pace, with the meno for company. Just as well too, because otherwise I would never have dragged myself around at the required pace. As it was, I could only manage 5 miles. I reckoned I was working too hard to maintain the speed, so with one eye on Thursday's delights, I packed it in a mile early. You only live twice, Mr. Bond.

1.5 @9.10

5 @7.00 (6.50, 7.05, 7.15, 6.55, 6.55)

1.5 @9.05

Wednesday 12th

Working all day. Nil runnings.

Thursday 13th

Couldn't make club session tonight due to work, so went out solo in the afternoon. The Fitzy plan was for 2x2m at HM pace, but that would be essentially the same as my pace on Tuesday's tempo, so, in order to avoid duplicating sessions, I opted for hill sprints in Tymon. On the warmest day in ages. Hill sprints are hard enough with a group; on your own they're extremely challenging, to put it mildly. Tough session, very glad to get it over and done with. Afterwards I was a bit tight on time for getting to work, so had to run a bit quicker than I wanted, and boy did I resent it. Had a feeling of light-headedness during the session, and felt a bit off for a while after as well.

2.04 @8.41

10x400 (hills) (1.27, 1.32, 1.30, 1.26, 1.31....and then it gets fuzzy, because I ****ed up with the lap button. I reckon we're talking a 1.30 average overall)

2 @8.45

The Fitzy plan was for 2x2m at HM pace, but that would be essentially the same as my pace on Tuesday's tempo, so, in order to avoid duplicating sessions, I opted for hill sprints in Tymon.

Most of the lads ended up doing 3 x 2 miles @ 5 mile pace anyway :pac:

I see you are taking the a la carte option to the plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

If it reads like a Sunday Carvery menu
    ;)
    The original plan had

• Advertisement

Sh*t, busted!

Actually, I think I mentioned in my text to you that I would be continuing with my P&D-based plan. It has yielded PB's in 2 of my last 3 marathons, after all. I am keen to run with the other lads when possible though; it's nice knowing what they're doing and seeing if I can jump in with them. So you will probably notice deviations from the plan alright in my log. If there's anything I'm doing that you reckon is wrong or excessive, though, feel free to bring it up. All feedback welcome!

Friday 14th

8 miles easy run. A fine misty rain was falling intermittently during this one. Quite welcome it was too. Uneventful.

8.17 @8.56

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Friday 14th

8 miles easy run. A fine misty rain was falling intermittently during this one. Quite welcome it was too. Uneventful.

8.17 @8.56

If it's fine misty rain you like you should come west (& a good dose of bucketing down rain too not to mention lots of gale force wind training ......)

Summer 2015, West of Ireland style :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Is the Fitzy plan in the public domain anywhere? Or should one go straight to the horse's mouth?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Is the Fitzy plan in the public domain anywhere? Or should one go straight to the horse's mouth?

You should find the most of it on his own log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

You should find the most of it on his own log ;)

Just been lazy ;)

Saturday 15th

Was meant to run today, but felt like I needed a break, so did nothing

Sunday 16th

20 mile run. Decent group at the club for this one, and with most of my cohort back, and everyone running much more sensibly, there was plenty of company for the first 20 miler of the season. In the event, though, I ended up out in front of the main group, and ran a lot of this on my own. I was happy with the range of paces here, quite narrow, with nearly all of the miles between 8.00 and 8.30 min\mile. Very warm and humid, so much so that the top had to come off. So sorry for the gun show, anyone I met up at the waterworks.

20.02 @8.20

Monday 17th

8 miles easy. Ran from the house and hooked up with a couple of lads from the club en route. Very, very easy.

8.41 @9.33

Tuesday 18th

5x1 mile intervals tonight, with 3 minute jog recovery, plus warm-up and cool-down. Very warm evening, and we unanimously opted for the track for this so we would have access to drinks. Felt reasonably strong, coped ok with these.

2.22 @8.43

5 x 1@6.40

1 @9.45

Wednesday 19th

Easy run. Decided on a whim to change my regular route to freshen things up a bit, so headed up towards the Old Mill, then up through Kilakee, where I ran into the great Jack Tyrrell, out delivering his free-range eggs. To anyone who knows him, his back problems have been sorted out, and he's back running, but the rehab will take a while, so he won't be at full running fitness for a few months yet. On I went to the Stocking ave roundabout, then went left at the bottom of the hill. Around here I took a path through a leafy estate, and from then on went into any parks that I came to. This led me on a little tour of Templeroan, as I deliberately ran into estates looking for back exits through laneways etc. A couple of dead ends ensued, and eventually I popped out onto Knocklyon road, with more than 6 miles on the meter. There's an entrance to Tymon park right opposite, so I ran up home along the river.

9.02 @9.04

• Advertisement

Thursday 20th

Easy hour for those what are racing Saturday, so what with the non-racers doing an MP run, and others doing their own thing, there were Tallaght AC runners swarming like ants all over Tymon park tonight. Just as well Bros P didn't make an appearance, as they seem to have a slight problem with running etiquette, as in the whole "getting out of runners' way" thing. I don't know, maybe they were just tired after a strenuous warm-up. Anyways, I ended up on my sweeney for this. Plus ca change. Probably went out a bit hard after the warm-up, when the MP'ers stretched their legs, tried to rein it in thereafter. Might take the day off tomorrow, or at most do a few leisurely recovery miles.

8 @8.16

Advertisement