Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I help my sister despite not being in the bridal party?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Ah plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vikinki

Hi, how did this pan out for you? I hope you told her that you are really involved (if that's what you want) or leave me out of the dirty work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

If anyone is interested in the technical terms I believe they are as follows:

Maid of Honour - Unmarried chief bridesmaid over 18 years of age. May be a witness and sign the license but also doesn't have to. You could have someone else do this if you want.

Matron of Honour - Married chief bridesmaid, generally over 18 because most places have 18 as a minimum age for marriage but not impossible to be a Matron of Honour younger than 18. May sign for you if over 18.

Maiden of Honour -Unmarried chief bridesmaid under 18 years of age. In Ireland a Maiden of Honour could not be a witness and sign the license as such because you do have to be over 18.

There's no legal obligation to have either/any of the above. You're also not obliged to have bridesmaids but you will need two witnesses over the age of 18 to officially witness the ceremony and sign to confirm that.

The whole MoH deal is that you've chosen to select one person to have an elevated title. Like saying "These are my friends Sally, Jennie and Julie and this is my best friend Sandra." As I said these terms dint have a legal standing and as such are subject to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

If anyone is interested in the technical terms I believe they are as follows:

Maid of Honour - Unmarried chief bridesmaid over 18 years of age. May be a witness and sign the license but also doesn't have to. You could have someone else do this if you want.

Matron of Honour - Married chief bridesmaid, generally over 18 because most places have 18 as a minimum age for marriage but not impossible to be a Matron of Honour younger than 18. May sign for you if over 18.

Maiden of Honour -Unmarried chief bridesmaid under 18 years of age. In Ireland a Maiden of Honour could not be a witness and sign the license as such because you do have to be over 18.

There's no legal obligation to have either/any of the above. You're also not obliged to have bridesmaids but you will need two witnesses over the age of 18 to officially witness the ceremony and sign to confirm that.

The whole MoH deal is that you've chosen to select one person to have an elevated title. Like saying "These are my friends Sally, Jennie and Julie and this is my best friend Sandra." As I said these terms dint have a legal standing and as such are subject to interpretation.

My sister signed as a witness when I got married. She was 16...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

lollsangel wrote: »

Okay.

On the welfare.ie website it does state
    Couples undergoing a civil ceremony must have been issued with an MRF by a registrar, not necessarily the same registrar who is performing the ceremony. As of 5th November 2007, there are no longer any residency requirements for civil marriages. The ceremony must be performed in the presence of two witnesses who should be both over 18 years of age.

I guess exceptions can be made but generally you do have to be over 18 to sign a contract.

From http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Getting_Married.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

That was a mistake on behalf of the registrar. Most likely because she looked 18+ on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

That was a mistake on behalf of the registrar. Most likely because she looked 18+ on the day.

Is lollsangel legally married if the witness was ineligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Lisha wrote: »
    Is lollsangel legally married if the witness was ineligible?

Well I pointed it out when I separated hoping it would nullify it but no,had to go through divorce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well I pointed it out when I separated hoping it would nullify it but no,had to go through divorce

Oh sorry about that.

Advertisement