Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

after reading this thread its amazing how so many fools still think the dublin accent is exclusive to the northside. On the southside you have - Irishtown, Ringsend, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Kilcross, Holylands, Whitechurch, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Palmerstown, Inchicore, Rialto, Dolphins Barn, Shankill, Ballyfermot, Bluebell, the south inner city, the list goes on. In all these areas you will find the 'northside' accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭HughWotMVIII

When I hear a Donegal accent, I just want to snog the person speaking, don't know why.

Agreed. Donegal accents make my knees weak. Among other things :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

after reading this thread its amazing how so many fools still think the dublin accent is exclusive to the northside. On the southside you have - Irishtown, Ringsend, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Kilcross, Holylands, Whitechurch, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Palmerstown, Inchicore, Rialto, Dolphins Barn, Shankill, Ballyfermot, Bluebell, the south inner city, the list goes on. In all these areas you will find the 'northside' accent.

Yes and both the bolded spots are in Dublin 4.

Regarding the alleged 'D4' accent, I grew up in a very nice part of Dublin 4. I have no recollection of that marbles-in-the-mouth sound that now erupts from the mouths of every so-called D4-head. It's a complete fabrication. Most people originally from Sandymount or Ballsbridge have fairly neutral accents. I live outside Dublin now and the fact I'm from Dublin at all usually evokes surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Having lived in Dublin for a few months I have discovered that there is indeed more to the accent divide than the conventional Northside (howiyah) and D4/Southside (loike totes, roysh?). There is a very pleasant "neutral" Dublin accent, and its actually really nice to listen to, it just seems so genuine and natural. Far less grating than the Northside accent and not at all as insufferable as the D4 accent. :)

Yes I love, love, love that accent. So pleasant to listen to.

OP I think it's really sad that you were ashamed of how your dad talked. It's terrible to judge people on the way they talk.

Someone further back said they basically hired someone with an English accent over a Cork one and that's just horrendous. There are accents I don't like, there are accents I find hard to understand, but for me it's the voice itself rather than the accent. Some people have terrible delivery or are really high pitched and that, to me, is worse than having an accent from X county.

Also I'm from Cork but told I sound neutral-ish Limerick. Mother's English and I apparently had an English accent once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Bazzo wrote: »
    What's "the bogger accent" ? Any of the dozens from outside the pale?

And they're all, like, teautally shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.

Would you agree with me if I suggested that bad accents and hurling counties go hand in hand? Your old stomping ground in east Galway I'm including in that.Check out the accents on the folk from the area where the borders of Waterford, Tipp and Kilkenny converge.Without doubt the biggest hurling hotspot in Ireland,indeed,the planet.I've had the pleasure of meeting plenty of them,lovely people without exception but Jesus Christ the accents...They sound like f@kin cartoon characters.
    Think of a hurling county,think of the accent.You'll see a pattern develop pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

The 'dort' accent. Give me strength...If you have a genuine middle class Dublin accent no problem, friends of mine have it, but that afectatious D4 accent sets my teeth on edge. Former model Lisa Murphy is a prime offender.

No problem with the working class Dublin accent. I rather like it. If the person who speaks with it is kind and a decent individual that's all that matters.

Not a fan of a strong Limerick accent, the Arklow accent (I lived there years and still struggle to understand a thick Arklow accent) or the Northern Ireland accent.
    They all jar on my ear. :o

My own is some odd mongrel mix of neutral Waterford, Dublin and some Swedish intonations and cadence having lived there many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm not mad on most strong regional Irish accents. Especially if I can't understand them! But the worst offender for sheer subjective grating of my ears has to be Wexford town accent, which sounds like a mosquito being beaten to death. Not mad on "naaaartsoide Cark" either. Not least since I regularly get inflicted with it at a high volume under the apartment windows.

Edit: Two "Kirri!"(Kerry)-accented people speaking together is quite entertaining. It's like they try to outdo each other in pitch until they can only be heard by dogs.

Mind you, although I don't have a Waterford accent myself, despite being brought up there, what I do have is the South-eastern speed of talking. I lived in England a bit, and despite my best efforts to slow down to a normal pace, people had trouble understanding what the hell I was saying half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Samaris wrote: »
    But the worst offender for sheer subjective grating of my ears has to be Wexford town accent, which sounds like a mosquito being beaten to death.

:D Yeah it's not a thing of beauty is it?
    Samaris wrote: »
    Mind you, although I don't have a Waterford accent myself, despite being brought up there, what I do have is the South-eastern speed of talking. I lived in England a bit, and despite my best efforts to slow down to a normal pace, people had trouble understanding what the hell I was saying half the time.

Brought up in Tramore but not much distinctive Waterford accent either. I've recently moved back to Waterford to do a course down here this year (then back up to Wicklow or Dublin thank god) and forgot how strong it can be. Haven't lived here over 20 years though.

Yeah people do tend to roll their words into each other quickly down here don't they? not a fast talker myself though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement