Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Yes, mainly just Dublin accents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dont like Northern accents. Donegal/Derry is tolerable but the harsher accents are horrible. Thick Dublin accent is rank as well.

Glaswegian and Brummie accents are horrible. Can never take anyone with a Brummie accent seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't dislike any accents but I would not be fond of the scouse or a heavy howya accent there are some dub accents I really like Luke Kelly had the kind of dub accent I like, maybe we all have a kind of inbuilt reaction to accents.

A primary school teacher was been interviewed on the news about some topic and she had a very pronounced howya Dublin accent and for a second I did a double take because its not an accent we associate with education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Satori Rae wrote: »
    I love all accents but being Irish myself the Dublin accent used for Friday (starks comp) in the new Avengers movie was woeful........just putting that out there :P

It was a horrible half-Irish accent with an American twang, but it wasn't Dublin, the actress who voiced it is from Tipperary...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I really dislike the cork/Kerry/Limerick/Waterford/Clare accent.

Jaysus, you can hardly lump em all in together as the one accent, Theres about 20 different acccents going on there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Yorkshire. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm not a bit prejudiced mainly as my accent can get woeful if unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope but I am aware of it so find myself toning it up or down depending on if I am dealing with colleagues or clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

When people comment on mine I say :

I don't have an accent, I'm English.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hate the string Dublin inner city accent bit don't mind the rest of them, northsiders included.

I love the Cork accent, the Kerry accent is ok too.

Hate Louth and Cavan accents.

The Tipp, Laois and Offaly bogger accents are just woeful. They really are the most unrefined straight off the farm accents. When I was getting my mortgage the guy dealing with me was from Offaly. I just couldn't take him
    Seriously, I was of the opinion that someone who spoke like they had a mouthful of spuds couldn't possibly be intelligent enough to know anything about finance or mortgages. Of course he was more than qualified and capable of doing his job it's just he didn't come across that way while speaking.

Another accent close on the heels of Tipp Offaly and Laois is the Kikdare accent and their inability to finish words and their softening of words starting or ending with TH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Very embarrassed to say I can't hear the difference between Irish accents.. you all sound the same to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Scouse accent is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think the Belfast accent is very lovely, but that might be because I went out with a Belfast man for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Any accent from the Northside of anywhere I usually find annoying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Any accent that makes all statements seem like a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I met a girl from Letterkenny when I was about 17. She was pretty, but objectively probably only a little above average in the looks department. But by God, she might as well have been the most beautiful woman ever to have walked the Earth, because when she spoke it was like she was pouring honey in my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

We probably all have deep-seated prejudices (positive or negative) regarding accents, but it's really not something we should be proud of. There's a wealth of evidence humans make unfounded snap judgements over height or beauty, accents are no different. But we should still be aware of it and try to overcome it.

It's strange. The vast majority of people would condemn judging the colour of someone's skin, but most people freely confess to despising one accent or another. It's usually more acceptable to condemn a "posher" accent than a "rough" one. But both attitudes are moronic and chippy.

It's never okay to judge someone on the way they speak. There's plenty of scope, surely, to make a judgement on what they actually have to say. Be content with that, rather than reaching for a reason to sneer at someone. It says a lot more about you, than about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Having lived in Dublin for a few months I have discovered that there is indeed more to the accent divide than the conventional Northside (howiyah) and D4/Southside (loike totes, roysh?). There is a very pleasant "neutral" Dublin accent, and its actually really nice to listen to, it just seems so genuine and natural. Far less grating than the Northside accent and not at all as insufferable as the D4 accent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An affected D4 accent makes me think you're an airheaded twat (and, if you're putting the accent on, I'm not wrong).

A strong Cork accent makes me think you're a dribbling neanderthal whose sole purpose in life is to give inner-city Dubs someone to look down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

FactCheck wrote: »
    We probably all have deep-seated prejudices (positive or negative) regarding accents, but it's really not something we should be proud of. There's a wealth of evidence humans make unfounded snap judgements over height or beauty, accents are no different. But we should still be aware of it and try to overcome it.

It's strange. The vast majority of people would condemn judging the colour of someone's skin, but most people freely confess to despising one accent or another. It's usually more acceptable to condemn a "posher" accent than a "rough" one. But both attitudes are moronic and chippy.

It's never okay to judge someone on the way they speak. There's plenty of scope, surely, to make a judgement on what they actually have to say. Be content with that, rather than reaching for a reason to sneer at someone. It says a lot more about you, than about them.

I am not kidding when I say that I read this as 'plenty of scobe' and thought it was a brilliant joke in the context of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Sleepy wrote: »
    An affected D4 accent makes me think you're an airheaded twat (and, if you're putting the accent on, I'm not wrong).

A strong Cork accent makes me think you're a dribbling neanderthal whose sole purpose in life is to give inner-city Dubs someone to look down on.

Yerra g'way outta dat boi.

This stuff is really ironic coming from Irish people. People do realise that there are no shortage of Anglophones who believe that anything said in an Irish lilt sounds thick and uneducated? Everyone on the planet speaks with an accent and for every accent out there, there is someone who believes it to be affected, grating, stupid, or insufferable.

You wouldn't like it if these judgements were turned on you (they probably have been, you just don't know it) so why so cheerfully admit to doing it to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

Astonished you didn't finish that sentence with "like"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Knex. wrote: »
    Astonished you didn't finish that sentence with "like".

I thought about doing a FYP to his post and adding ", boy." to the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've a bit of a mongrel accent on me, with my Mother being from Cork, and my Father from Dublin. Means mine is somewhat bland, overall.

Have relatives on both side of the family with accents ranging from the top of the spectrum, norrie accent, to a more relaxed or even rural accent.

Means I pretty much don't care what people sound like, I've realised. Obviously some people have extreme accents, be it you can barely understand them, or that their voice absolutely grates you, but overall, I wouldn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hate Northern Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I love, love, love the real deep Dublin accent - it's just brilliant!

Can't bear a Cork one though, sorry guys, it's truly terrible. I have an English accent though which I'm sure many Cork people will despise, so we are even :D

The Northern accent on a man is pretty God damn sexy...mmmmmm

Anyone that uses the word Ye needs to be shot, regardless of accent.

Anyone that uses the word Ye needs to be shot, regardless of accent.

But it's an incredibly useful word, that increases understanding and clarity! Most languages have a second person plural.

Someone who uses it is making themselves more clear. That's the whole purpose of language.

Do you look down on West Indians who say "allyuh", or black Americans saying "y'all", or is your contempt reserved solely for Irish people who are slightly different to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pedro K wrote: »
    The D4 accent.

Yeah, I find that one hard to cope with. Can't take it seriously at all (I mean the godawful mid-atlantic one that's commonly known as the D4 accent, I'm aware actual D4 people aren't the worst offenders).

That sort of Valley Girl American accent that you'd get the odd time is pretty dreadful too. A few years ago the day before pancake Tuesday these two twits were walking past me twirling their hair around their fingers and staring vacantly around them and had the following exchange:

"Oh my god tomorrow's Mardi Gras?"
    "Oh my god I know, right?"

Perfect combination of accent and content, it's always stayed with me.

Advertisement