Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You hired a dude for his accent over his qualifications? :eek:

No, his character did. He's been fleshing out a sitcom character through the medium of Boards for a while now. It's a bit one dimensional though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's a bit one dimensional though.

With the accent on dim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Good

Light working class Dub accent on men
    Donegal on women
    Scottish on women
    London (not cockney) on women
    Scouse on men
    New York and Boston on men

Bad

Heavy Dub on women
    D4 in general
    South West of Ireland
    Wicklow
    Scottish on men
    Brummie
    Scouse on girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Oddly enough it's not really found in D4 either! The accent sound Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook (except for some RTE staff) is very neutral. The accent in Irishtown and down towards the docks is fairly strong Dublin City.

The "D4" accent is more likely to be found in parts of South County Dublin - Foxrock, Killiney, parts of Stillorgan and Blackrock and areas of D6.

It's a bit unfair on the good folks of D4 to lumber them with that accent!!
    Yeah it's found throughout Dublin, but didn't the D4 thing originate due to its associations with the Ballsbridge area? Which it's highly likely to be found in to be fair. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Yeah it's found throughout Dublin, but didn't the D4 thing originate due to its associations with the Ballsbridge area? Which it's highly likely to be found in to be fair. :)

Nah, you'd be far more likely to hear an accent like Garret Fitzgerald, Gay Byrne, or at a push the likes of David Norris from a Ballsbridge native.

• Advertisement

FactCheck wrote: »
    Nah, you'd be far more likely to hear an accent like Garret Fitzgerald, Gay Byrne, or at a push the likes of David Norris from a Ballsbridge native.
    What about the younger crowd though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The mobilised copper collector accent is just...just, no.

The stereotypical D4 accent is embarrassing...I cringe when I hear it, so false. I sometimes wonder what US tourists think when they these twonks go on and on with their bizarre faux USA tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If the accent comes bundled with a failure to e-nun-ci-ate, then yes, I'm prejudiced. There are some broad accents that never give me any trouble because the words still come out clearly e.g. Brummie.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Hopefully this is clear and informative.

I hate the following accents: Northern Irish, Southern Irish, Tallaght, North Dublin, English, Australian, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Polish, German, Latvian, Lithuanian, Romanian, Bulgarian, definitely Welsh, and the list goes on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm highly prejudiced against people who don't even attempt to pronounce 'th' sounds, whatever their accent.

It makes you sound quite tick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The Welsh accent on a woman gets me fierce excited.

For some reason I talk like a Dublin person. I don't have a Dublin accent but I pronounce things like a Dublin person. You know the D's instead of the TH's and so on.

No such thing as a "D4 accent". Only silly people who think that the middle class Dublin accent is located primarily in Dublin 4.

Which is nonsense!!!!

Some of the worst purveyors of that "Dane Tane on the Dort" accent are northsiders.

Fact.
    In my opinion the middle-class Dublin accent is just a mild Dublin accent without any contrived aspects, pronouncing Booterstown as Booterstown rather than Beeters-tyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I hate both the limerick & inner city Dublin accent.

I think you'll find that this video is a very relevant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I also have that ridiculously neutral in-between Dublin accent that foreigners can't even identify as being Irish.

Had the Aussies fierce confused.

A lad I met in Japan thought I was Canadian until I told him he was only a bollix.
    For some reason I talk like a Dublin person. I don't have a Dublin accent but I pronounce things like a Dublin person. You know the D's instead of the TH's and so on.

There aren't any boggers who say D instead of TH??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

Positively prejudiced to the sharon horgan accent. That slighlty hoarse middle class burble is pure sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Accents makes me hate the holidays and family gathering. It only leaves me with a swollen lower lip from bitting down so hard, in other to avoid laughting.

Pedro K wrote: »
    The D4 accent.

I found out I had this one year when I went to Irish college when I was 10 or so. Got my first experience of bullying as I was a "posho". Apparently I wasn't really Irish simply because of my accent. I always held a shame through my teenage years as result but I eventually stopped giving a ****.

I still meet tons of people who have an aversion to it. It's been sometimes suggested that my accent "isn't genuine" compared other Irish accents. That has to annoy me the most as i dont know how one can quantify how genuine an accent is. Sometimes when I've had a few and someone tries to have a go at me over it; I will then overdo it (my daddy can buy and sell you etc.) because frankly **** you if your reducing me to that. There's also the assumption that I'm super rich and have everything handed to me on top of all that.

But no, I try not to pigeon hole people by their accent as it's been happening to me my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A lad I met in Japan thought I was Canadian until I told him he was only a bollix.

Canadian is exactly what the Aussies kept guessing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

American actress, marrying a bloke from up North, tries to get her family to talk in a Belfast accent. Hilarity ensues:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I don't think I do judge people by their accents, even people from Louth. I wouldn't be able to place half of them in Ireland tbh. The D4 accent everyone is talking about is indeed irritating but I'm not sure I'd make a judgement on a person who speaks with it. I definitely judge people in other ways but accents? I don't think so. Not consciously anyway.

I think accents are fascinating - they are a marker of the different blends of accents which you were exposed to growing up, so your accent could have a twinge of your grandparents' who you might never have heard speak. Which is why it is a shame when people cover up markers of their origins by adopting a different accent. I can understand why they might do so but still it's kind of like saying your ancestors accents weren't good enough for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I despise the bogger accent. Knocks at least 20 points off someone's IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I despise the bogger accent. Knocks at least 20 points off someone's IQ

What's "the bogger accent" ? Any of the dozens from outside the pale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Bazzo wrote: »
    What's "the bogger accent" ? Any of the dozens from outside the pale?

Map enclosed:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

The only accent I can't stand is the D4 accent, the weird american twangy one. Ugh. Can't bear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.

That's hilarious stuff from a connaught bogger.

As a Dub I can handle middle class Munster outside the South West easily enough. I know a Tipp woman who seems to come from South Dublin.

EDIT:

pity this guy didn't have a bias towards meat and spuds accent of rural galway, not a great believer in paying it forward, or back are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.
    That erm, sounds pretty unprofessional

Advertisement