Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

are you, or have you ever been ? I once had a bit of an aversion toward the heavy Dublin accent. I used to feel a bit self conscious and embarrassed by my father's accent that he inherited from his side of the family, and thus handed down to some of my half brothers. when he would talk to me in front of people outside the family who spoke in a different way or collect me from school the self consciousness would hit it's peak as in my school there were mostly flat ''normal'' accents. I would usually prefer if my mother went to my parent teacher meetings as she had one of these flat accents that wasn't over the top, and I felt she better ''represented'' me, in my naïve ignorance. I come from the type of family where going to college would be seen as ''posh'' and having notions, like'' oooh look at you and your business degree (I don't study business)''. nobody I know of either side of the family studied at third level, most of them barely scraping second.

so I used to have a bit of prejudice toward the ''ah jaysus howya, wats the storee, wats the craic, gis a bleedin bag o chips'' kind of accent. I myself don't speak that way, at least not to the extent of my father and my relatives of his side where you can blatantly tell they are northsiders.

as I got older I grew more informed and tolerant of different ways of speaking and found that if you just listen to people and what they're saying, often they are speaking perfect sense, regardless of accent. its just expressed differently. why do you think there is a bit of a stigma against the heavy Dublin accent? is it to do with perceptions that it sounds inarticulate, uneducated, scummy etc. are you yourself a fan of the Dublin accent?

another thing, taking it all into account, are you proud of where you come from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I love certain accents like the cavan one, Dublin one, boston accent. I kind of like the Yorkshire accent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

aye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hate the Aussie accent.......shudder.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    aye

r u from cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Tldr, but I find some of the Cork accents seem like something like coming out of a Warner Bros Cartoon.

I just laugh out loud when some of them start speaking.

• Advertisement

Tldr, but I find some of the Cork accents seem like something like coming out of a Warner Bros Cartoon.

I just laugh out loud when some of them start speaking.

Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hate accents from county's kilkenny/Tipperary

They sound like there taking the piss or putting on the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

Yeah. My late Mother was from Cork, so you'd think I'd have some loyalty.

But no. some of them are just tooo bad.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Hate American (USA) accents, all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I don't really mind what accent a person has, but the one thing that gets on my tits is when young lads put on some kind of inner-city Love/Hate Dublin accent because they think they're hard.

You're 15 and you're from a bungalow surrounded by fields in a crappy parish in the back-end of nowhere. You're not Nidge.

• Advertisement

I hate the welsh accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

The D4 accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I must admit, I'm prejudiced against a certain group of copper gathering folks accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I lake sexy accents lake mine

Cillian Murphy has a nice cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I hate accents from county's kilkenny/Tipperary

They sound like there taking the piss or putting on the accent

Never heard complaints about our accent before. Well, only from Waterford people, but thats just because we're always taking the piss out of them.

When I hear a Donegal accent, I just want to snog the person speaking, don't know why.

When I hear a D4 accent, I just get violent thoughts for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's only one accent I hate. Coincidentally, they also have a habit of using the same word at the end of all sentences, just in case you didn't hear their accent.

They also claim to make gates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I love all accents but being Irish myself the Dublin accent used for Friday (starks comp) in the new Avengers movie was woeful........just putting that out there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The west Cark accent does my nut. People assuming the Dublin accent is exclusive to the northside is a pain in hole too, I know a girl from the flats in Rathmines that is hard to understand sometimes because her Dublin accent is so strong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I really dislike the cork/Kerry/Limerick/Waterford/Clare accent.
    It's like a cheese grater on my ear drums. That said, I feel a little bit sad when people's toom theyre ashamed of their parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I hear a Donegal accent, I just want to snog the person speaking, don't know why.

Mmmmmmuuuuaaahhhhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

People assuming the Dublin accent is exclusive to the northside is a pain in hole too, I know a girl from the flats in Rathmines that is hard to understand sometimes because her Dublin accent is so strong
    Yeah I can't tell whether a strong Dublin accent is from the northside or the southside or west Dublin or inner-city Dublin. Are they really that different? (Apart from old people having a kind of Mister Brennan accent).
    A "northside Dublin accent" is a misnomer I think.

I guess though what people refer to as the Dublin 4 accent can be found throughout Dublin too.

Im a bit like that with the Cavan accent, I just want to kiss them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

the_syco wrote:
    They also claim to make gates...
    Are they the copper loving people as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are they the copper loving people as well?

Yes they are boss.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah I can't tell whether a strong Dublin accent is from the northside or the southside or west Dublin or inner-city Dublin. Are they really that different? (Apart from old people having a kind of Mister Brennan accent).

I guess though what people refer to as the Dublin 4 accent can be found throughout Dublin too.

You're as likely to hear a thick Dublin accent in various suburbs throughout Dublin as you are in the inner city, and it's certainly not confined to the northside. Similarly you'll find the typical D4 accent elsewhere, in my experience Dalkey is particularly bad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Born and reared in Dublin and never heard anyone say giz a bleedin bag o chips
    Op you watch too much Shiite on rte

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Born and reared in Dublin and never heard anyone say giz a bleedin bag o chips
    You hear in the chippers near Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Oddly enough it's not really found in D4 either! The accent sound Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook (except for some RTE staff) is very neutral. The accent in Irishtown and down towards the docks is fairly strong Dublin City.

The "D4" accent is more likely to be found in parts of South County Dublin - Foxrock, Killiney, parts of Stillorgan and Blackrock and areas of D6.

It's a bit unfair on the good folks of D4 to lumber them with that accent!!

Advertisement