Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Chloris wrote: »
    Ok, finally somebody who's actually going to propose a refutation to my argument. I'm looking forward to this.

Look, I could argue this until the sacred cows come home but we're just going around in circles; can't we just accept, in a thread specifically for unpopular opinions, that some people really find sport irksome and overrated?

Make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

galljga1 wrote: »
    Dwarf Throwing.

Banned by the elf and safety brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Banned by the elf and safety brigade.

Are you an actual cat ? that would be mad craic now. A little dote of a cat with a mouse on internet forums. How pleasant.

Are you an actual cat ? that would be mad craic now. A little dote of a cat with a mouse on internet forums. How pleasant.

Here's a pic of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

John Lennon. What an annoying hypocrical man.love is all you need my arse.he wasn't very loving when he beat his two wives and emotionally abused his son.he was also a pathological liar and politically clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Stephen Fry. I think he's a bit of a prick myself.

Anytime there's a thread about being offended someone will post this. Meanwhile someone calls him 'boring' on Twitter and he threatens to delete his account in a desperate bid for attention. God forbid one person might not find him fascinating.

Yeah, he always strikes me as a bit of a drama queen. And very supercilious on QI. Drop it, Stephen, an army of researchers found all the facts you're vomiting.

Bressie also. He has depression so we'll gloss over the fact he's useless and smug and his music is horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I think Bressie is the exact opposite of a sacred cow. He gets regularly slated despite being a fairly inoffensive kinda bloke. He judges on that talent show and used to be in a band and has published the odd opinion column.

I'm not seeing anything worse than any other z-lister - same with his attitude: not anything particularly OTT cocky there IMO.

Saying he has depression has particularly seemed to cause people to be on the attack towards him. It's not easy for everyone to talk about their depression. I did so here last night, and even though it's nothing to be ashamed of, I've deleted some posts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

The Palestinians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Chloris wrote: »
    Absolutely not. They, at least, have storylines with human meaning and characters you can empathise with. Athletes are usually overpaid, braindead muscley twats. Because sport is just this stupid aimless thing which has no real grounding, it cannot possibly deal with the complex human themes in the same way that literature or film can. It all ultimately has no purpose beyond "this arbitrary set of rules and objectives" outlined by the sport itself.

Most sportsmen don't get paid a penny.

Most sports have great story lines attached to them and I think the majority of people can empathize with sportsmen when they see how much effort they put in for very little reward in most cases and when they say the pain defeat can cause them.in both watching and participating sport plays a key part in peoples lives across the world.

You dismiss team sports in another post yet they are a very good grounding for what life in general is like.Loads of effort for a common good , having to co-operate with people and listen to their opinions, I'd imagine that playing teams sports would give someone the edge in getting a job as a lot of workplaces are big into team work and if you can work in a team environment in sport you can do it in work as well.And sports is a great metaphor for life as it results in continual failure for each and every participant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Joe Duffy - Working man of the people on 10 times the average industrial wage **** himself off to others misery and suffering but his buddies in the media fail to notice this and point it out to the average liveline caller

No, but dedicating the amount of time to physical fitness that a professional athlete needs to dedicate probably means that they haven't been dedicating the amount of time to learning that other people have been. There are only so many hours in the day. Intelligence is not just an inherent aptitude, it's a skill, and it can be very much a case of use it or lose it.

Honest to god, listen to interviews with professional rugby or soccer players. Generally speaking they're not TED material, to put it mildly. It doesn't mean they're bad people or that they haven't worked very hard to get where they are.

I'd imagine it takes a great degree of intelligence to be good at sport. Sport involves continually making split second decisions.Looking at golf or snooker which are slow paced sports it must take a great degree of intelligence to work out what shot to play at times when there are so many potential options available to the player.

There is more to intelligence than maths,science and english etc. Instead of applying there intelligence to a matches etc sports men apply it to there sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The Palestinians

And I'd say on the other hand the same can be said of The Israeli's, that conflict is a great example of what the OP is talking about because it's so divisive. Most people who know a bit about it hold one or the other side as a sacred cow and the other side as evil, in my experience anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, but dedicating the amount of time to physical fitness that a professional athlete needs to dedicate probably means that they haven't been dedicating the amount of time to learning that other people have been. There are only so many hours in the day. Intelligence is not just an inherent aptitude, it's a skill, and it can be very much a case of use it or lose it.

Honest to god, listen to interviews with professional rugby or soccer players. Generally speaking they're not TED material, to put it mildly. It doesn't mean they're bad people or that they haven't worked very hard to get where they are.

Sure look at the big thick head on Jamie Roberts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Those who can not be mentioned or the thread will be closed

Hint: This time 8 years to the day they had downed a bottle of new zealand wine and were half way through dinner

While their toddlers were home alone

I love sports myself. I play soccer regularly enough and love watching Rugby Union. I find the blanket dislike of sport a bit odd myself. I mean, indifference to sport is understandable but hostility towards it seems bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd imagine it takes a great degree of intelligence to be good at sport. Sport involves continually making split second decisions.Looking at golf or snooker which are slow paced sports it must take a great degree of intelligence to work out what shot to play at times when there are so many potential options available to the player.

There is more to intelligence than maths,science and english etc. Instead of applying there intelligence to a matches etc sports men apply it to there sport.

There are different types of intelligence, sure. I couldn't do what sportspeople do and I'm not undermining their skill. But listen to most of them stringing a sentence together, especially when they're discussing anything other than their sport. It takes a certain degree of monomania to be at that level with anything. On the flipside you have the archetypal eccentric professorial type who has no common sense, or people who are highly intelligent and skilled at something academic but have zero social intelligence.

I think this insistence on saying "sure athletes ARE intelligent" actually kind of does the opposite of what it's intended to do. Being able to play a sport has value in itself, it doesn't have to be justified by saying that they're just as intelligent as a phd candidate, speaking of which...

That's nice, but not exactly representative, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Do you mean Dr. Jamie Roberts :D

There are different types of intelligence, sure. I couldn't do what sportspeople do and I'm not undermining their skill. But listen to most of them stringing a sentence together, especially when they're discussing anything other than their sport. It takes a certain degree of monomania to be at that level with anything. On the flipside you have the archetypal eccentric professorial type who has no common sense, or people who are highly intelligent and skilled at something academic but have zero social intelligence.

I think this insistence on saying "sure athletes ARE intelligent" actually kind of does the opposite of what it's intended to do. Being able to play a sport has value in itself, it doesn't have to be justified by saying that they're just as intelligent as a phd candidate, speaking of which...

That's nice, but not exactly representative, is it?

Your right it doesn't have to be justified except when someone like yourself questions a sports persons intelligence.

I don't hold it against Stephen Hawking that he isn't a skilful sportsman as that us not his field of expertise so why would anybody hold it against a sports man if they are not good at public speaking or maths etc.The only people who do that are those who feel threatened in some way by the popularity of sport and have to dismiss it as being un-itellectual and the participants not being intelligent in order to make themselves seem more clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    Uh-huh? I'm the one who's biased. Right.

Wow, great retort.

I've shown no bias at all. You are the one who made the ridiculous claim that criticism of the Islam faith is something that is accepted, and that objection to this criticism is "taboo" and unheard of. Can you prove that in any way? Perhaps you're not biased, but if not, you are seriously deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Anyone of the "stars" who works at RTE.

In music Justin Bieber & One Direction.......and all the fans who love them.

Kanye west's music.he's a genius don't ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

In Ireland,I would say, Nurses-they tend to be held in high esteem and being critical of them is often frowned upon.

Gay Culture-it seems to have Went from being derided and mocked unmercifully to being more than just tolerated but,any form of criticism is frowned upon,in a very short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Teachers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dalai Lama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What are some examples of sacred cows? That is, people who no one seems to want to criticise.

Our President, Michael D. Higgins, is one (apart from the protesters who called him a "midget parasite").

Who are some other examples?

Boards Mods .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

bjork wrote: »
    Those who can not be mentioned or the thread will be closed

Hint: This time 8 years to the day they had downed a bottle of new zealand wine and were half way through dinner

While their toddlers were home alone
    They have been mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nurses. Always complaining about something or other that was publicly evident before they even started their training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

crockholm wrote: »
    Well,it's a boards sacred cow-but,I actually agree with what the Young lad Donal Walsh said,more importantly,why he said what he said.He was a Young fellah doing his best to hold on to his fleeting existance and a bunch of ****heads are topping themselves because they can't get what they want,and leaving their families in torment.

This has to be the most idiotic comment I have ever seen on this site. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Wow. You really don't understand what 'sacred cow' means.

Advertisement