Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Has anyone mentioned Joy Division?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Maya Angelou. Her poetry is utter crap and I cringe every time I hear people lauding her and sharing her 'inspirational quotes' on Facebook....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Berserker wrote: »
    What about people who aren't into GAA
    Thinking about it, it was stupid of me to say that the Gaa is what makes us Irish. For some people, like me, it is an important part of my culture. But obviously there are loads of other things which make us Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

longshanks wrote: »
    Maya Angelou. Her poetry is utter crap and I cringe every time I hear people lauding her and sharing her 'inspirational quotes' on Facebook....
    Good examples. You'd almost never hear of criticism of them, total sacred cows.

(I love Joy Division btw but that's not relevant - they're still a sacred cow).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    Thank you, I pride myself on expending as much effort in my posts as the people I respond to, at least in threads like this.

Now, can you prove yours? Because you've said yourself that it's personal experience and I highly doubt you can prove any of that. Oh but I'm the one who has to prove what they're saying. Right. That's fair.

The situation regarding clothing policy in our schools is just one example. It's not something schools are willing to address as it may be seen in a negative way and they are scared of a backlash from the public. Hence why I brought up the issue in the relevant thread.

Your initial one line comment, was out of touch with reality and had little relevance to the thread, as objection to criticism of the Islam faith is not seen as unacceptable at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nonsense, there's nothing inherently intelligent about playing sport. It takes some skill but it doesn't take much brains. Training and practice is all it's down to. I have nothing against sport but don't fool yourself into thinking it's anything but a distraction, or worse still that professional sport is some kind of genius level playing field. They're games and nothing more, lifted to ridiculous orgasmic levels of importance by equally ridiculous people. Children play them for the craic, including the dumbest kids, and they have no difficulty doing so. Going out on a pitch and playing requires about as much brains as those required to play snakes and ladders.

Sport is a pretty big sacred cow alright, the brainless tribalism and the near violent reactions you get are something else.

I think it requires a fair degree of intelligence to work out what angle and weight a pass has to be hit at in order to get to one of your team mates.

You seem to be missing the point I am making.Intelligence is not solely about being good at academic areas and sports people have a high degree of intelligence it just isn't directed at traditional areas that people think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Private Sector Workers - I say this as someone who has spent half my working life in the Public Sector and half in the
    Private Sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Hozier isn't a bad one - although a few people do seem to have a huge problem with him, which I don't understand. Seems a fairly unassuming guy, who brings out middle-of-the-road music. Not sure what the cause for sheer hatred would be.
    Google "Fear & Gloating and Lost Wages", an article about the Irish Music scene. Might shed some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Chloris wrote: »
    Do you actually dislike it or are you just using it as an example?

I'm interested to hear some criticisms!

(Father Ted).

Well, my opinion is beside the point, suffice to say I did enjoy it, but don't enjoy seeing it again and again, I could watch Seinfeld repeats endlessly for example but not FT.

Regardless of the quality of otherwise of the show, any criticism of it is generally received with horror amongst friends of mine.

ps. Perhaps Seinfeld is a good example, anyone criticising that show online is likely to be hunted down and lobotomised. Definitely a sacred cow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I think it requires a fair degree of intelligence to work out what angle and weight a pass has to be hit at in order to get to one of your team mates.

The same as it requires some amount of intelligence to work out the force with which something falls when you drop it, there's math involved in that. But it doesn't cost any intelligence just to drop something, and it doesn't cost any intelligence just to throw or kick something.

Being practiced at passing a ball doesn't make anyone intelligent. That doesn't mean there aren't smart people in sport and who support it, the fact is intelligence has little to do with the equation. There's nothing complicated about hefting and throwing a ball in the slightest. There's as much intelligence involved as a dog catching a ball in its mouth. It takes basic coordination.

• Advertisement

The same as it requires some amount of intelligence to work out the force with which something falls when you drop it, there's math involved in that. But it doesn't cost any intelligence just to drop something, and it doesn't cost any intelligence just to throw or kick something.

Being practiced at passing a ball doesn't make anyone intelligent. That doesn't mean there aren't smart people in sport and who support it, the fact is intelligence has little to do with the equation. There's nothing complicated about hefting and throwing a ball in the slightest. There's as much intelligence involved as a dog catching a ball in its mouth. It takes basic coordination.

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union. Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

crybaby wrote: »
    Old people who very blatantly skip queues for the bus

Alex Ferguson

I doubt if Sir Alex ever takes the bus anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

There is probably a difference between physical or intuitive intelligence and what we classically understand as intelligence, the latter being a capacity to reason more than the ability to act instinctively.

A deeper understand of sports (i.e. the role of certain players)allows for the appreciation of how sometimes players are capable of reasoning.

A captain in a 5 day cricket test match is a good example, it's a very cerebral role demanding the assessment of a number of factors including temperament of the players, weather conditions, field positions, knowledge of the opponents previous tactics amongst many others, there are very few "intellectually limited" players in these roles. It's easy to reduce it to a bat and ball game but only in ignorance can that comment be made faithfully.

What you are talking about is the mechanics of performing a certain action, but the decision making to perform that action or another available action can demand advanced and rapid reasoning. Sometimes it is intuitive or learned, but sometimes it does demand advanced, rapid reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Unblemished red heifers, because friesans just don't cut the kosher mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

crockholm wrote: »
    Unblemished red heifers, because friesans just don't cut the kosher mustard.
    All I'm taking from this is that I want a beef and mustard sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

No, it has to be brown sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Why would you ruin such a Beautiful thing with that pasty sub-food,sub forum.?

In order for there to be Sacrifices preformed at the third temple in Jerusalem,the high priests will need heifers without blemish to offer to Yahweh,that means not a single non-red hair.Lots of genetic testing being done in Israel and The US for this cow,worthy of sacrifice.

Michael Chabon touched upon it in one of his recent novels "Jewish policemans union"iirc.

So,in effect,a sacred cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

longshanks wrote: »

What is there to criticise? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bob Geldof

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Shergar, that horse was in on the whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Good examples. You'd almost never hear of criticism of them, total sacred cows.

(I love Joy Division btw but that's not relevant - they're still a sacred cow).

I'd say it's possibly something to do with the fact that many people may not have heard of Maya Angelou (always thought she was alright myself, but then I thought Mother Teresa was alright too :o)

Now if I said Oprah...

"Ohh no you di'int!" :pac:

Actually Martha Stewart was quite the sacred cow before she took a woeful tumble from grace!

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union. Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

I went ahead and looked up what you seem to be on about, as in, how do you think being a functional human being capable of interaction with the world makes you intelligent rather than just not brain dead.

So, a guy called Howard Gardener proposed the theory of multiple intelligences. This is where you're coming from? Having a look at the wiki page and this is the thinking on your different modes of intelligence.

Intelligence tests and psychometrics have generally found high correlations between different aspects of intelligence, rather than the low correlations which Gardner's theory predicts, supporting the prevailing theory of general intelligence rather than multiple intelligences (MI).[17] The theory has been widely criticized by mainstream psychology for its lack of empirical evidence, and its dependence on subjective judgement.

Sorry but your theory there doesn't hold water. That doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to play. Just not a lot of brains. Like I said, sports are just games. Kids play them, grown ups can play them, whatever. They're not particularly challenging to the grey matter.

I went ahead and looked up what you seem to be on about, as in, how do you think being a functional human being capable of interaction with the world makes you intelligent rather than just not brain dead.

So, a guy called Howard Gardener proposed the theory of multiple intelligences. This is where you're coming from? Having a look at the wiki page and this is the thinking on your different modes of intelligence.

Intelligence tests and psychometrics have generally found high correlations between different aspects of intelligence, rather than the low correlations which Gardner's theory predicts, supporting the prevailing theory of general intelligence rather than multiple intelligences (MI).[17] The theory has been widely criticized by mainstream psychology for its lack of empirical evidence, and its dependence on subjective judgement.

Sorry but your theory there doesn't hold water. That doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to play. Just not a lot of brains. Like I said, sports are just games. Kids play them, grown ups can play them, whatever. They're not particularly challenging to the grey matter.

You could also be a doctor for a day regardless of your intelligence just not a very good one.

If playing sport at a very high level which involves quick thinking judgement of angles , decision making is not challenging to your brain then what is challenging to your brain?

Using your criteria barring freakishly intelligent individuals who come up with original theory's very few people could be classed as being intelligent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9188043/Footballers-are-highly-intelligent-according-to-new-study.html

http://strengthplanet.com/other/15-surprising-facts-about-world-class-athletes.htm

"In general, superior athletes possess average and above average l.Q.’s. For example, in a recent study of the intelligence levels of elite athletes in Europe, their average l.Q. was found to be 112 (S.D. 9.0). In similar studies conducted in America, the l.Q. of superior athletes ranged on average from 96 to 107."

"In general, superior athletes possess average and above average l.Q.’s. For example, in a recent study of the intelligence levels of elite athletes in Europe, their average l.Q. was found to be 112 (S.D. 9.0). In similar studies conducted in America, the l.Q. of superior athletes ranged on average from 96 to 107."

You need to get over this judging angles craic as if it isn't the most basic function of the human mind. Those IQ's you're linking are average enough, and they're irrelevant anyway imo. Training is what makes an athlete good in a tight spot. Training and practice. It's simply not inteligence. Being actually dumb would be an issue but after that it doesn't matter and average and above average IQ's as above pretty much confirm that. Anyone who is below average will have difficulty in most things. If it was all about brains then you're figures there would be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

People who have random children with various partners

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

For me at least, they represent that person's understanding of suicide and suicidal thoughts, or suicidal ideation. People who have suicidal thoughts or go so far as to take their own lives, the act may not necessarily have been preceded by any period of ill mental health whatsoever.

It may seem patronising to some people to suggest that there may be alternatives they haven't explored, and that they should at least try to reach out to someone before they choose to take their own life. But to other people, they see that there is hope, and that may be just what they needed at that moment in time.

It's true that people don't always recover from depression, but that doesn't mean we should ever allow ourselves to think that they can't. I know you didn't say it CWK but all too often depression is treated as a sacred cow and it's almost as though some people experiencing depression think that everyone experiences depression the same way they do, and anyone who has a different perspective "has no understanding of depression" as though it were a benign mental illness.

Surely that demonstrates that it is they who have a very poor understanding of depression, and their dismissive attitude towards other people is exactly the same attitude they claim is exhibited towards them. The easiest explanation is that it's nothing to do with that person's ill mental health. It's simply because they're behaving like an asshole.

No, the easiest explanation is that there are varying degrees of depression. No one says that its not possible to recover, but just because some people do doesnt take away from the fact that for some it doesnt work out that way.

To be honest, I'm not great at articulating what i want to say through text, so ill just say that the idea that people suffering from depression, or any for of mental illness, are doing so for selfish reasons is showing a clear lack of understanding for what it can do to you. And actually thinking that telling these people that what they're thinking is selfish is in some way helpful? From my own experience, I already hated myself, thought i was worthless and people would be better off without me. And now I'm being told I'm selfish? Thank you for confirming the thoughts i already have about myself, I'm a horrible person.

I'm lucky. A lot of people unfortunately are not. You're fighting against your own mind. Imagine wanting to kill yourself? The idea that someone else wanted to kill you would be terrifying. But the idea that its you. You hate yourself that much, or think that its the easiest way out. And to be told that the idea of shaming people in this position is somehow helpfull? **** that.

Sacred cow? Its an illness that affects your mind, and they way you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

The prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

You need to get over this judging angles craic as if it isn't the most basic function of the human mind. Those IQ's you're linking are average enough, and they're irrelevant anyway imo. Training is what makes an athlete good in a tight spot. Training and practice. It's simply not inteligence. Being actually dumb would be an issue but after that it doesn't matter and average and above average IQ's as above pretty much confirm that. Anyone who is below average will have difficulty in most things. If it was all about brains then you're figures there would be higher.

I never said it was all about brains I said that top level sportsmen would probably be quite intelligent and it would help them and it does.

Your first post indicate that you dismiss top level sport in general as anything worthwhile so there is no point arguing with you anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Miriam O Callaghan gets a fairly easy run in her "Nations sweetheart" role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Miriam O Callaghan gets a fairly easy run in her "Nations sweetheart" role.

For two reasons.

Advertisement