Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ETA: Chris Pratt. Don't think I've ever heard a single bad word about him

Andy is definitely my least favourite character in Parks & Recs and I really can't fathom why Chris Pratt has become so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

bjork wrote: »
    Those who can not be mentioned or the thread will be closed

Hint: This time 8 years to the day they had downed a bottle of new zealand wine and were half way through dinner

While their toddlers were home alone

The McCanns have been mentioned a few times in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In the musical realm: Glen Hansard. Occupies some sort of elder statesman Pope like role for certain people in the music scene.

I bet if you have a pop at him your body will end up in a skip out the back of Whealan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Old people who very blatantly skip queues for the bus

Alex Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Former president,Mary Robinson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Hozier.

Suas11 wrote: »

The internet hates the McCanns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Nuala O Loan when Police Ombudsman in Northern Ireland and attacking the PSNI came close to being canonised. Now that she is advocating a No vote in the referendum shes no longer flavour of the month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nurses. Always complaining about something or other that was publicly evident before they even started their training.
    Oh the Nurses are great. Even those ones knocking down a handy time taking blood samples for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Nurses. Always complaining about something or other that was publicly evident before they even started their training.

Their union likes to give the impression that every nurse is Florence Nightingale v2.0.

They do seem by & large above reproach.
    However like all jobs, there is conpetents & incompetents.

I wonder if after more complaints about the service quality the HSE delivers will they offer for a change from their 3-day-week roster to a 5-day-week roster to improve things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Who did he bully?

Journalists. Marketing and PR Companies. There's sort of a culture of silence about it, but he's known for making demands to do stuff that is already being paid handsomely to do. Him and his driving around in new cars. Sure the whole rugby fraternity hardly ever criticise each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

No, but dedicating the amount of time to physical fitness that a professional athlete needs to dedicate probably means that they haven't been dedicating the amount of time to learning that other people have been.

Because everyone else has their nose stuck in a rilly inneresting book yah.

Magnificently condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

This has to be the most idiotic comment I have ever seen on this site.

Why so ? - I think he makes a good point. At least he clearly stated his case which is more than you have done with your completely hyperbolic post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hozier.

There was a thread on him before and most people slated him. Compare that to a real sacred cow like Paul O'Connell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yurt! wrote: »
    In the musical realm: Glen Hansard. Occupies some sort of elder statesman Pope like role for certain people in the music scene.

I bet if you have a pop at him your body will end up in a skip out the back of Whealan's.
    I have ended up in a skip out the back if whealans but it was nothing to do with hansard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gays. Some high profile gays are incredibly annoying, like Rory O'Neill, Louie Spence etc. But dare say a word and the homophobe card is played. Some gay people are arseholes, its should be ok to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ireland has a higher ratio of nurses than virtually anywhere else and they´re doing a much worse job than a lot of other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Wow, great retort.

I've shown no bias at all. You are the one who made the ridiculous claim that criticism of the Islam faith is something that is accepted, and that objection to this criticism is "taboo" and unheard of. Can you prove that in any way? Perhaps you're not biased, but if not, you are seriously deluded.

Thank you, I pride myself on expending as much effort in my posts as the people I respond to, at least in threads like this.

Now, can you prove yours? Because you've said yourself that it's personal experience and I highly doubt you can prove any of that. Oh but I'm the one who has to prove what they're saying. Right. That's fair.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Gays. Some high profile gays are incredibly annoying, like Rory O'Neill, Louie Spence etc. But dare say a word and the homophobe card is played. Some gay people are arseholes, its should be ok to say that.

It is okay to say that. But what people invariably end up saying (or implying) is either that they're arseholes because they're gay or gay people in general are arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

roshje wrote: »
    Teachers

This thread is about sacred cows not punch bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

They have been mentioned.
    It's the only thread allowed. Every other one has been shut. Not one even open in CT or on the 8th anniversary

So has this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

I dont believe that anybody is a sacred cow. Everybody is due a wee bit of criticism every now and then for various reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Former president,Mary Robinson

Last time I heard her she was doing climate change whoring obviously getting well paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I'd imagine it takes a great degree of intelligence to be good at sport. Sport involves continually making split second decisions.Looking at golf or snooker which are slow paced sports it must take a great degree of intelligence to work out what shot to play at times when there are so many potential options available to the player.

There is more to intelligence than maths,science and english etc. Instead of applying there intelligence to a matches etc sports men apply it to there sport.

Nonsense, there's nothing inherently intelligent about playing sport. It takes some skill but it doesn't take much brains. Training and practice is all it's down to. I have nothing against sport but don't fool yourself into thinking it's anything but a distraction, or worse still that professional sport is some kind of genius level playing field. They're games and nothing more, lifted to ridiculous orgasmic levels of importance by equally ridiculous people. Children play them for the craic, including the dumbest kids, and they have no difficulty doing so. Going out on a pitch and playing requires about as much brains as those required to play snakes and ladders.

Sport is a pretty big sacred cow alright, the brainless tribalism and the near violent reactions you get are something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

keano_afc wrote: »

Ah I dunno, Louis Spence gets a lot of negative comments, if you change your last sentence to read "some people are arseholes" you'll cover gay and straight off, it's a trait specific to the homosexual community like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Gay Byrne
    Pope John Paul II (until recently!)
    Pope Francis
    Jimmy Saville (again, until he died. But there's a splendid example of no-one wanting to hear any evil about the man)
    Mary Robinson
    Heath Ledger

Not saying I want to poke at Robinson, Ledger, Pope Francis or Byrne, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wow. You really don't understand what 'sacred cow' means.
    They're not the only one in fairness. Some serious amount of non sacred cows being posted. People are just posting people who are popular, over-rated or whom they just don't like.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sacred%20cow

The McCanns are not sacred cows. They get absolutely slated.

Hozier isn't a bad one - although a few people do seem to have a huge problem with him, which I don't understand. Seems a fairly unassuming guy, who brings out middle-of-the-road music. Not sure what the cause for sheer hatred would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

This has to be the most idiotic comment I have ever seen on this site. Well done.
    Awwwww thanks,it's kind of like praise from Caesar.....That is,if Caesar were a lobotomized nobody:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

They're not the only one in fairness. Some serious amount of non sacred cows being posted. People are just posting people who are popular, over-rated or whom they just don't like.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sacred%20cow

Yep. The only one I've really agreed with so far is Mother Teresa, who is considered a saint in Ireland and anyone pointing out her horrible suffering fetish and low sanitary standards, the charitable donations that were sent to the Vatican bank instead of being spent of basic medical supplies, and her forced baptisms of the dying is quickly shouted down.

Advertisement