Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

denis o brien takes out yet another high court action, this time against RTE/Pravda

Options

Comments

kneemos wrote: »
    I'd put most of the blame with the minister then.
    Good business move by DOB.

A good business move does not preclude wrongdoing. They are not mutually exclusive.

The question is, do you stand over this assertion.
    No wrong doing proven anyway on the Digifone deal...

Hint...it's incorrect...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A good business move does not preclude wrongdoing. They are not mutually exclusive.

The question is, do you stand over this assertion.

Hint...it's incorrect...

Christ you want me to say you're right.

Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Was there wrong doing?

You mean buying out a government minister to get a contract that should have been awarded elsewhere costing jobs in the process? Yeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Was there wrong doing?

You're obviously bored and are craving engagement, or are genuinely unaware of the moriarty tribunal.

Happy reading, knock.yourself out.
    Lowry "secured the winning" of the 1995 mobile licence for O'Brien.

O'Brien made two payments to Lowry in 1996 and 1999 totalling IR£500,000 (GB£147,000 and GB£300,000) and supported a loan of GB£420,000 given to Lowry in 1999, a benefit equivalent to a payment.

Lowry imparted substantive information to O'Brien which was "of significant value and assistance to him in securing the licence".

Lowry bypassed consideration by his Cabinet colleagues and thereby not only influenced, but delivered the result for Esat Digifone

A US$50,000 donation to Fine Gael was made through Telenor on behalf of Esat Digifone

Lowry sought to influence a hike in the lease for Marlborough House (Telecom Eireann headquarters) following a request from Mr Dunne. These rent increases would have improperly enriched Dunne, and were deemed to be "profoundly corrupt".

Lowry was criticised for his "cynical and venal abuse of office" and his brazen refusal to acknowledge the impropriety of his financial arrangements with O'Brien and Dunne.[/list]

http://www.moriarty-tribunal.ie/asp/index.asp?ObjectID=636&Mode=0&RecordID=399

I'd put most of the blame with the minister then.
    Good business move by DOB.

Good as in corrupt. Mother Ireland is rearing them yet.

• Advertisement

Christ you want me to say you're right.

Bless.

Not at all. I'm am merely referring to your assertion that there was no wrongdoing when a Tribunal made very damning findings. I'm not giving an opinion here, there was a decision that you seem determined to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not at all. I'm am merely referring to your assertion that there was no wrongdoing when a Tribunal made very damning findings. I'm not giving an opinion here, there was a decision that you seem determined to ignore.

Haven't ignored it.Said the minister was mostly to blame.
    Can't really blame a shrewd business man for gaining an edge in that cut throat world.

Haven't ignored it.Said the minister was mostly to blame.
    Can't really blame a shrewd business man for gaining an edge in that cut throat world.

When the Tribunal concluded that there were payments made, it did not allocate blame between the briber and bribee. Clearly both did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    The discussion is not about what you could or could not arrange.
    We are talking about a man who is a multi billionaire and is very close to power, owns much of the media and has findings against him by a tribunal.

So I say you are just guessing. None of us know as fact what actually goes on at the top for most of the time but going by all the tribunals and enquiries you would want to be very naive to believe powerful people don't influence our government.

You're full of sh!t bro. Denis can't own much of the media.

Source: I can't, so he mustn't be able to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Yes, you can. It is an offence to offer an undue reward to, or receive an undue reward from, a public official in order to influence that person in the exercise of his or her duties in that office contrary to the rules of honesty and integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I look forward to seeing RTEs show now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    You're full of sh!t bro. Denis can't own much of the media.

Source: I can't, so he mustn't be able to either.

Are you for fcuking real?

Birneybau wrote: »

Or he's being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Birneybau wrote: »

Not spotting sarcasm level: American

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/05/01/denis-obrien-to-sue-everyone/
    FOLLOWING legal proceedings undertaken by voiceless billionaire Denis O’Brien against both RTÉ and the Sunday Business Post comes news that the Digicel kingpin is set to sue absolutely everyone.

“We’re particularly targeting people who have had negative thoughts about Denis in their head but have never uttered them in a public forum,” O’Brien chief counsel Damien Byrd told WWN.

“It’s hard to prove, but being sued by Denis O’Brien isn’t without its advantages. If this is your 5th time having legal action taken against you, you qualify for a free coffee at any Topaz service station,” added Byrd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

What's the Pravda thing about?
    so he owns most of the media and gags the rest

scary stuff when you actually think about it
    In 2007 he owned NewsTalk, 98FM and Spin.
    The EMAP portfolio of Today FM/FM104 were up for sale and he made a bid. It was assumed he had no chance because of owning stations that were in direct competition with them.
    Well, that certainly showed us...

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010600.shtml

In 2007 he owned NewsTalk, 98FM and Spin.
    The EMAP portfolio of Today FM/FM104 were up for sale and he made a bid. It was assumed he had no chance because of owning stations that were in direct competition with them.
    Well, that certainly showed us...

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010600.shtml

So he banks with the rothchilds!! Says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

So he banks with the rothchilds!! Says it all really

They supply all of his cats for stroking too. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus some people have scary obsessions with this chap.

JustTheOne wrote: »

I'm more concerned with those who repeatedly state they don't care a damn, no matter the subject or history involved. Not saying you're one of them, are you one of them?

• Advertisement

It's not personal. Or even his party.

If any other individual owned the major partner in any Government and, even after a finding that he previously bribed one of them to become a billionaire, and after the Tribunal report was published showing the extent of their corrupt relationship, that party continued to do huge multi million deal with him, I think people would question it. Don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

bpb101 wrote: »
    all im saying is that brian cowen is now on the board of Denis o'brien owned Topas

( I didnt see applications on jobs.ie for it)

Clearly you missed it it was available under Jobs bridge.

"Bond Like villan seek incompetent and morally flexible side kick for anarchy like activities"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Fg in particular.

Fg in particular.

Snap!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sounds dodgy.
    Couldn't do it unless he was let though.Takes two to tango.
    Could be seen as a good business move.

Another graduate from the Charlie Haughy school of business practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sure.

It's probably just "begrudgery".

A word that the Irish use in order to let the likes of O'Brien, Sean Quinn, et al away with their shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It's not personal. Or even his party.

If any other individual owned the major partner in any Government and, even after a finding that he previously bribed one of them to become a billionaire, and after the Tribunal report was published showing the extent of their corrupt relationship, that party continued to do huge multi million deal with him, I think people would question it. Don't you?

But what has he really done that has caused stag hardship on the general public?

But what has he really done that has caused stag hardship on the general public?

Apart from the biggest swindle since the sweepstakes scandal?

I think a lot of people are concerned that why a man who was blacklisted by a Tribunal became the go to guy immediately FG got back into power. Particularly as Phil Hogan seems to pop up in so many deals, meetings before the ESAT licence deal, in charge of environment (relevant to Topaz and Irish Water) etc.

Apart from the biggest swindle since the sweepstakes scandal?

I think a lot of people are concerned that why a man who was blacklisted by a Tribunal became the go to guy immediately FG got back into power. Particularly as Phil Hogan seems to pop up in so many deals, meetings before the ESAT licence deal, in charge of environment (relevant to Topaz and Irish Water) etc.

Sure the man's an infallible saint ffs, would you not go and get a life!! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Now that some posters have decided some crime is ok and acceptable in business I decided to make a list of other crimes that are now ok. Are bank robberies now ok because I don't notice the effects directly?

Advertisement