Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

just not her day, not even top 10 by the looks of it,or top irish player. Meadows hung in well

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

None of the last group has really done anything today. Not unusual for that to happen while earlier groups thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

up to Steph to extend it, mis hits it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Unfortunately another bit of a choke...awful effort

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Awful day for Maguire, winning score is 8 under and she started the day at 7 under.

Massive missed opportunity for her, not as if she's continually in contention to win majors, could be a long time before she gets this good an opportunity again.

Zhang shot -4 in the final round of a major...no she didn't. Listen I wanted Leona to win as much as you did but you have to call a spade a spade..she shot +3....don't think any other player in the top 25 shot a worse score...pressure got to her

Bad day alright I hope she gets over it psychologically quickly, but that was there for the winning with not too much going her way.

Definitely means she's good enough to win a major, but I think we all knew that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The good news for Leona is the next event is also a major so little time to wallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Pressure is not the same in every tournament, to think it is is ridiculous.

Lee Westwood and Colin Montgomerie were capable of handling pressure in regular events as soon as a major came around they would find away to not win it.Pressure is much greater in majors than regular events because they have real meaning in the history of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

don't think this was anything like a choke,she was only one ahead,not 4 or 5,she had a bad day,the putts didnt drop ,you get a bit tight and murphys law kicks in,a choke is Monty from middle of fairway on 18 needing a par to win,or Van de Velde needing a 7 on last to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

The final group never got going at all, 5+ for the three of them over the 18. They sapped the confidence and momentum out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

it would be an interesting stat to see how many leaders of Majors actually win them ,and more pertinently with regard to today how many with a lead of one win them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As I said there are players it's fair to say succumb to the pressures of major golf. Just be sure a player has a bad round at the end of a major doesn't mean they can't handle the pressure.

It's probably been very tiring for her having win the week before and spending time with the media after last week and then as the tournament for two days. It was just a bad round. If she does it a couple if times then it's fair to say she can't handle the pressure but saying it because she had one bad round on the final day if a major is ludicrous.

You really are clueless. One bad round round and you say the pressure got to her. You'd swear you were caddying for her.

Instead you are sitting in front of a TV, maybe, and deciding that a golfer who has never shown that she succumbs to pressure can't handle it.

I'd say you never played sport in your life or you are a bottler and think everybody that has one bad day is just like you.

Guess what, it doesn't mean they can't handle the pressure, it can just be one of those days. There is no history of Leona not handling pressure. As said by somebody else in this thread, she handled the pressure of the Solheim Cup amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭magic17

It's a mix of both really. She obviously can handle pressure, we've seen that. It was just a tough day on the course and the pressure of it being a major probably didn't help. At no point did she get any momentum and that is key in these events. That 2nd shot on the 6th and subsequent bogey just knocked her completely. I watched it back and it looks like she was taking the pin on which was a poor decision as all the danger was left. Even when she got back to -5 she then three putted the 14th. She pars that and who knows, maybe finds a birdie on 15 or 16 and with 2 par 5s to finish it's all to play for but it didn't happen. As I said, momentum is key and she just never got going.

The key now is how she reacts. She needs to pick herself back up and not dwell on it. She has the game to win these events and this experience will stand to her. Time is on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Lot of low scores on the day

She just never got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Exactly, one poorish round in the last round of a major when leading by 1 with loads of players in contention does not necessarily mean she is a choker. Especially so when she's been so magnificent under pressure previously (e.g. Solheim Cup) ,and only just won a tournament the weekend before .... I mean come on folks!?

The much more likely reason is fatigue imho ( of course she could also have been sick, under the weather, nursing a minor infection or injury, or any number of other reasons). If Fatigue & weariness catches up with you when you're trying to rally your game to win the last round of a major, that's like swimming against the tide, almost impossible. Fwiw, I think that's the most likely explanation of Leona's last round. Tbh.

I think the experience will stand to her though, & serve her well in the future.

( as long as she doesn't start listening to people like Jack Daw & Delly Belly !!)

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

She'll be running a pro shop in 6 months time! 🤣

I wouldn't be worried for Leona. In little over a week she has earned more than it takes tubridy a whole year to earn 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

One would need deeper contexts too -like how many leaders shot a decent under par round but were pipped by someone shooting even lower.

Also how many leaders shot their poorest round of the tournament on the final day or how many built up a good lead and dribbled it away.

Each case must be assessed on its merits at the time. To me it seems clear that Leona tightened up with tension at the enormity of what she could potentially achieve and consequently produced a round, totally at odds with her previous three, which was almost embarrassingly bad.

Hopefully she will generate another opportunity but yesterday was a glorious chance with so many of the world's leading players out of the equation e.g. most of the top twenty were either cut or out of contention - Nelly Korda , Lydia Ko. Lilia Vu, Thitikul , Henderson, Lexi, Kupcho, Kang etc.

Even a par round would have netted her the consolation of an extra half million bucks or so !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In fairness to Monty, the group ahead faffed around so long on the green, he was standing over that iron shot for about 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Up to 10th in the world rankings and is top European once again.

Meadow had a big jump up to 89th in the rankings. That puts her 15th in the European rankings, so a strong finish to the season would give her a chance of a Solheim Cup captain's pick.

Edit: Looks like Meadow is not a member of the European Tour, which would exclude her from playing

Post edited by paulos53 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

she could really do with a new caddy 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Coach too, probably a better nutritionist, new strength and conditioning programme, a couple of zoom calls with Dr Bob.

If she manages all that before Thursday, she might make the cut!

So then seeing as you have decided that Leona tightened up instead of just having a bad day, like almost every other golfer, you are deciding that Tiger Woods is the same as he lost the 2009 PGA championship after being in front for the first three rounds and then shooting a three over par 75 on the last day? He'd won 14 majors before that but he did the same as Leona in that tournament so both get the same opinion from you, right?

How about Rory in the 2011 Masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 adrian7444

She didn't choke but she did crack a bit.

I will put my hands up and say I shouldn't have used the word choke but she definitely didn't handle being the leader on the last day of a major. Her score compared to all others around her was poor. Someone mentioned Rory in 2011 and that may be a good analogy. He learned from what happened on that final Sunday and came back to win the US open...hopefully Leona gets some experience from this and if in the same position get's it over the line this time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Late start for Leona in round 1 in U.S Open. In the meantime great to see Áine Donegan from Lahinch leading the morning wave. Still only a sophomore at Louisiana State University so nice to see her making the most of the experience.

Unfortunately Stephanie Meadows PGA efforts wasn't enough to get a start here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Leona shot a 3 under 69 to be 1 shot off the lead!Really excellent start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Leona played some superb shots in her second round of the AIG Womens Open major at Walton Heath but her putting was utterly inept -bordering on embarrassing - missing at least 4 putts of 5 ft or less. Can't win a major unless that can be turned around . Plus she'll tend to be off the pace somewhat on the par 5s because of her length disadvantage against the best in the field -yesterdy's three par fives produced 5 ,5 and yet another 6 !

Advertisement