Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

A bit nervy on the first 4. Hopefully a birdie soon to get some momentum..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Going to be a bogey now so at least 1 behind, hopefully can start trucking along on back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Chasing pack all seem to be draining putts.

Leona going backwards, now 1 behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

on sky sports mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Play suspended...might suit her. All other players under par and Leona the only player over par in the first ten...I was worried she might not handle the pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Not happening for Leona today so far. Long way to go though and it should be an exciting back 9 regardless. Meadow going pretty steady now with a good chance to get to -7 shortly.

Agree the stoppage is a very good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Weather break came a good time for Leona, might give her a chance refresh and refocus and also might interrupt the momentum of Zhang, Nordquist and Ciganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Is there an expected time to resume

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know when it's back on or is it still raining down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Should just call it as a 54 hole tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The numbers are not correct. They are not collected properly like they are on PGA tour

NLU were actually discussing this themselves very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭champchamp

Another dropped shot.

Needs to get something going soon to have a chance to win it.

Great chance for birdie here

Nice shot there. Great chance to get back to -6. In a way falling behind might help. Felt like she was a bit nervous and tense earlier, that should be gone now after the poor start and she can play with a bit more freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

She wasn't missing those the last 3 days.

Still plenty of holes to go but it's not looking good....she'll be struggling for top 5 at this rate...I hate to mention the c word but I'm afraid that's what's happening..collapsing under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Hard to see it happening from here ..needs at least 4 birdies to have any chance even of a play off and as I write she's the only player of the top 18 not to have a birdie -so something will have to change fast.

Despite her protestations about just playing another round of golf from hole to hole the occasion has , unsurprisingly, got to her. Usual cliches apply -learning experience , shows she can contend , she'll be tougher next time etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's not easy winning back to back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She didn't crack under pressure last week.

Why do people always have to decide somebody can't handle the pressure when there's no history of that person ever having shown anything like that?

If somebody has blown up on multiple occasions like Lexi Thompson then it's fine to make a comment like that.

This a major not a regular tournament..very different pressure

She's the only player over oar in the top 14...the pressure has got to her unfortunately...hopefully she learns from it..

I agree. Somebody who can't handle pressure could never have had the Solheim Cup experience she had or won so many competitions over the years. You just never know when the next bad run is coming.

If she birdies 13 or 14 I wouldn't rule her out.

Hopefully that kick starts a revival

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What do you know about it?

For me pressure is the same in every tournament. You either handle it or you don't. The two important things are to forget about your last shot whether a great one or an awful one. The other thing is to prepare yourself to hit the best shot you can on the upcoming shot, that applies to every shot.

It's all about concentrating on your game and not thinking about anything else.

Some days despite your best efforts things just don't go your way. That's golf, nobody has ever shot a perfect round and even the very best have shot rounds in the high seventies.

Ah that's disappointing, it's just one of those days. Got back to -5 and then a three putt on the 14th to give it right back. Hope she finishes strong at least, I'm sure she'll have learnt a lot for next time.

-2 in last 3 holes is doable. Then it's just a matter of needing Yin to have a bad 18th and Saso not to birdie 18. Not much to ask!

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'll have to call bs on this...lots of players who have won lots of normal tournaments but couldn't handle the pressure of majors..there is a reason they are called majors

Advertisement