Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

If Leona turned pro 5 or 6 years earlier then she did, I think she would have been a superstar and have won many majors .

In the last couple of years the game changed to a more athletic, big hitting game

The ladies game is more younger oriented than the mens game. Teenagers win majors. Leona is nearly 29 now with 3 seasons under her belt...? She may has missed her peak years...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Leona's putting today is as ropey as Rory's

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gaa goes

Leona headlines the field for the KPMG Women's Irish Open which gets underway this Thursday at Dromoland Castle in Clare. I'm heading up to it on the opening day. I hope to follow Aine Donegan and Aideen Walsh, the two local golfers. In all there are 10 Irish golfers in a field of 126 competitors. Best of luck to all the Irish competing this week. There will be live television coverage on both sky sports and RTE, for those that can't make it to Dromoland Castle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds good, enjoy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Any word on what time Leona is teeing off?

• Advertisement

On the tenth tee tomorrow morning at 9:06 am alongside defending champion Klara Davidson Spillkova and local golfer Aine Donegan. I’ll be there!

Due to ill health I could only stay in Dromoland Castle for the golf until midday. From the bits I saw re the featured group of the day including, Aine Donegan, Leona Maguire and Klara Davidson Spilkova, it was the latter's incredible short game that was the highlight of the group. Klara was like Harry Houdini with her up and downs and excellent putting meant she carded an impressive 4 under par 68.

Leona played brilliantly from tee to green. She isn't very long from off the tee, but her trusty fairway wood was pinpoint accurate. However the putting right from the off where she missed a 4 footer for birdie, was a sign of things to come for the pride of Cavan. She also missed from similar range at the par 3 17th hole too.

Aine outdrove her two playing competitors by at least 15 yards at times or more. However like Leona she also had a mixed day with the putter missed short putts for par at the 13th and 14th holes. A few tries for birdie also slid by.

I would have loved to have stayed for longer to watch more of the golf. I thankfully feel a bit better. The crowds weren't that hectic, but that's to be expected considering the time of year with the start of schools and people back to work after the summer holidays.

The golf course is very wet so I expect scoring to be very low, especially if you find the fairways with your tee shots. The weather is meant to improve for the next few days. Hopefully we will an exciting finish, with Leona or other Irish golfers in the mix come Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Watched some of the coverage on rte2 this evening. Greens look very soft ok.

There was an awful din of machinery in the background. Was that off the motorway or were there loads of helicopters around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭boardise

After 30 holes Leona stuck in neutral . Only one birdie in last 23 and no birdie at last 4 par 5s. Needs to snap into gear pronto.even if she's to get into a sniff of contention let alone win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

-4 for last 3 holes, top 20 now and only 5 off the lead. 2 holes remaining.

6 Irish making the cut, a record for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Was down in Dromoland yesterday. Fabulous course albeit we saw it at its best. But...dear lord Leona is a tough watch. I get it that that's her personality & thus has brought here success but everyone we spoke to was saying it. For example on 7, beaut of a Par 3 & she birdies it. Great roar from the crowd but barely a hint of an acknowledgement let alone a smile from Leona. Thoughts folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yep. Class golfer. 💯. Hard to argue with your points above though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, she's a charisma magnet to be fair, can'y deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭boardise

I could see her inspiring lots of young girls to take up

-tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Maguire is paired with Lucas Glover in the Grant Thornton Invitational. The 1st round is a scramble and they started with 10 consecutive birdies before parring the 11th.

Currently 3 ahead but the later starters have plenty of opportunities to close the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

What's her connection to Glover that they paired up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

The 3rd round will be an interesting format. Both players tee off and then swap balls for rest of the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I think just random pairings. There was an interview with Lilia Vu and Joel Dahmen this evening and it was painfully awkward.

Maguire & Glover remain in 2nd place after the foursomes. Probably should be leading but for 2 or 3 poor putts from Glover.

It is a modified fourball tomorrow. Sounds like a fun format for a club competition if a fair handicap allowance could be worked out.

64 today for Maguire after a 76 yesterday. Currently 2 off the lead in the big money Saudi event.

• Advertisement

A different format on the LPGA this week. 54 holes of strokeplay followed by match play for the top 8.

Maguire is -3 and in T5. Stephanie Meadow is level par and T9. The 3rd and final strokeplay round is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dan Steely

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leona made the matchplay as leading qualifier but Stephanie missed out

They did a playoff between the 4 people tied for 8th

Leona cruising in her quarterfinal 5up with 6 to play

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think it's on sky sports golf YouTube page and red button too. Live at 11 on normal channel too

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dan Steely

Is it on Sky Sports Golf YouTube channel? Can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

https://www.youtube.com/live/IVhUm1dEDSs?si=ONvylmfhOOi0s54J

This should work, I'm on mobile though

Edit: may not be it, saw some shots but were from earlier

Advertisement