Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I convert?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Forgive me for not being more pedantic in my statements and enjoy bringing the post off topic as usual due to your lack of knowledge on islam and the current topic.
    You have absolutely no idea what my knowledge of Islam is so I would appreciate you not making these claims against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What is your knowledge of the Qur'an and Sunnah?

What's that got to do with what I said?

You're not giving advice on the OP's question. You've tried to convert her and another user to catholicism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭niamhstokes

What's that got to do with what I said?

You're not giving advice on the OP's question. You've tried to convert her and another user to catholicism.

Yes, i have helped 3 Muslims become Catholic. So you are saying you know very little about Quran and Sunnah yet here debating islam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Oh I know, I was agreeing with you. I think its fair to say that there are more people in Ireland who don't believe in any God than the amount that tick "no religion" on the census. But even still - 7.6% is a significant proportion of the population and she's just ignoring them.
    I suspect that might be the case too, I would like to see the more questions included on the Census to try to ascertain religiosity rather than what's there at the moment.

Yes, i have helped 3 Muslims become Catholic. So you are saying you know very little about Quran and Sunnah yet here debating islam?

Did I say I know very little? Where have I debated Islam? I've questioned your lies (you've lied again in the post I've quoted), and the advice I gave to the op had nothing good or bad written about any religion.

Surely this many lies goes against your christian beliefs?

• Advertisement

Did I say I know very little? Where have I debated Islam? I've questioned your lies (you've lied again in the post I've quoted), and the advice I gave to the op had nothing good or bad written about any religion.

Surely this many lies goes against your christian beliefs?

So you are debating in the islam section and know nothing about the Quran and Sunnah? ok thanks :)

So you are debating in the islam section and know nothing about the Quran and Sunnah? ok thanks :)

Keep lying if it makes you feel better.

I'm not debating Islam. I've asked you repeatedly to stop lying. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Personally, I do not need man made religion, regardless of flavour to define or validate my life and sometimes I find it hard to understand how others require it in their lives to 'make them whole'. To me, pitting Islam against Catholicism on a forum is quite sad but that is just me. My life's experience to date have left me content that I do not need religion in my life. I do not need to be saved.

Keep lying if it makes you feel better.

I'm not debating Islam. I've asked you repeatedly to stop lying. Nothing more.

Why are you here? You know nothing about the Qur'an or Sunnah. Go play somewhere else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Why are you here? You know nothing about the Qur'an or Sunnah. Go play somewhere else :)

Is that not the ultimate question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Niamhstokes banned for trolling.

Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. You shouldn't convert, op. You're an adult. Why would you adopt a medieval superstition? It makes no sense. Like our own brand here, if you grew up with it, you may be culturally stuck with it. There's no good reason for an intelligent adult to convert to any religion. If the answers are found in primitive, oppressive superstition, you're asking the wrong questions.

With respect...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Of all the religions to find solace in, Islam would be last.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Of all the religions to find solace in, Islam would be last.

Absolutely. Check out Hinduism, OP. A different fun and quirky God for every day of the year. A flying monkey god, elephant head god, all kinds of cool gods. Plus, Hinduism supports a healthy lifestyle. If I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I'd go Hindu. Equally crackers, but kinda jolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

This is islamic propaganda to be honest. Hardly anyone converts to pagan islam in Ireland because we are good at detecting rubbish.

That is exactly why more people are identifying as atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

hamza81 wrote: »
    Buddism peace? positive? One only needs to look at the genocide and massacre the Buddhists are conducting in Myanmar and SriLanka to ee how peaceful they really are.

With what's being committed in the name of your god in the Middle East and Africa the irony of this post is overwhelming.

People arguing over who has the best imaginary friend, I'll pass and take my chances in the queue after death, if there is one of course....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I wouldn't make a thread about it or ask strangers' opinions. It is an extremely important decision and should be made independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

In 2011, 84.2% of the population identified themselves as Roman Catholic

First off, you've just contradicted yourself. 84.2% is significantly less than the 99% you were claiming a few posts ago.

Second, 'catholic' is simply the default option for many families in this country and does not accurately reflect the true religious stance of everyone registered as such. I don't know one single person under the age of 50 or so who is a true catholic, regardless of which box Mammy ticked on the census.

Third, the demographics of Boards.ie are very different to the general demographics of Ireland as a nation. You can expect the posters here to be far younger than the median age of the country, more left-leaning, and less religious. To claim that even 84.2% of Boards.ie posters are catholic is ridiculous.

Fourth, this is the 'Islam' forum. Do I really need to point out the likely religious distribution on this particular board?

First off, you've just contradicted yourself. 84.2% is significantly less than the 99% you were claiming a few posts ago.

Second, 'catholic' is simply the default option for many families in this country and does not accurately reflect the true religious stance of everyone registered as such. I don't know one single person under the age of 50 or so who is a true catholic, regardless of which box Mammy ticked on the census.

Third, the demographics of Boards.ie are very different to the general demographics of Ireland as a nation. You can expect the posters here to be far younger than the median age of the country, more left-leaning, and less religious. To claim that even 84.2% of Boards.ie posters are catholic is ridiculous.

Fourth, this is the 'Islam' forum. Do I really need to point out the likely religious distribution on this particular board?

Just a reminder that the poster you are addressing has been banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

My child wouldn't, just me.

I am looking for meaning, structure and support in my life.

Does your child not bring meaning and structure to your life? There are many ways you can get help in your life without religion, let alone islam. The fact that you have to ask strangers over the internet whether you should convert or not suggests to me that you definitely shouldn't. If you truly believed what islam forces people to believe then you wouldn't need to ask. Talk to people and try new things and you should find true meaning and structure to your life within yourself and not by submitting to some ancient belief system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

I'm in my 30s and a single parent. An ex introduced me to Islam and I am thinking of converting. How would Muslim women view me- would I be accepted? Would a local mosque be willing to guide me in matters of learning to dress, pray, learn Arabic and Marriage wise, how would I find a suitable husband?

So you are actively seeking to lose your respect, dignity and freedom? To (as a female) get treated as a second class citizen? To become a more bigoted, narrow-minded, condescending, self-righteous, intolerant and (depending how far you want to go) a more violent person?

you could probably do all that without signing up to some glorified cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

You should definitely do it and then you can go out in the searing heat wearing a black burqua from head to foot.Just saw a poor woman wearing this and hubby was wearing a short sleeved shirt and shorts. I know they say women should be modestly dressed but this is ridiculous. I managed to walk down the street in my summer dress without been accosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We are all basically Catholic, some are Protestant and a tiny amount are no religion.

You have more in common with Islam than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Interesting - it is very clear that strawberry is a single mum who is a little bit lost and in search of belonging. There are lots of ways to live a more structured life and exercise is probably the best.

Then we have some Muslims come on and address her as 'sister'. I can't think of a stronger word to encapsulate belonging and support. Especially a single mum who no doubt is finding the challenges of raising a child on her own difficult.

We have many Muslims here in Dundalk but one girl stands out as she converted before the large wave of migration over the last 10 years when she married a Muslim. She used to walk around about 10 feet behind her husband as 'a mark of respect' the poor girl looked more like his dog than an equal in the marriage. She was also at home all the time and wouldn't allow men into the house if her husband was at work.

Strawberry you sound a bit vulnerable and that is not the reason to convert to a religion not least one that will have much more consequences for your life than almost any other.

Join mother and baby clubs / go to counselling / practice mindfulness / start walking / smile more and begin to believe in yourself. Ask your family for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Well in that case then, there is a lot of troubled non-independent thinking folk. I cannot imagine moving through this world with no personal independent thought, I may as well be a zombie.

hamza81 wrote:
    Buddism peace? positive? One only needs to look at the genocide and massacre the Buddhists are conducting in Myanmar and SriLanka to ee how peaceful they really are.

hamza81 wrote:

Really? And this your reason for being anti Buddhist? Could I just not counter with the recent and on going atrocities by the IS show the Muslim religion to be equally as "Peacefull" or "Positive"..... but then you will bury your head in the Sand and blame the Islamaphobic world media for influencing our thoughts, and making us all Anti Muslim, and then in turn call me an Islamaphobe in the most passive aggressive tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I'm afraid this thread underlines the need for us to have a much stricter code in relation to immigration. Ireland is a western, secular democracy. Those practising any religion which seeks to actively suppress these ideals should not be welcomed here. Either accept our principals of democracy, equality, social liberalism and freedom of speech or go somewhere else to live.
    Brother.

LorMal wrote: »
    I'm afraid this thread underlines the need for us to have a much stricter code in relation to immigration. Ireland is a western, secular democracy. Those practising any religion which seeks to actively suppress these ideals should not be welcomed here. Either accept our principals of democracy, equality, social liberalism and freedom of speech or go somewhere else to live.

Take your xenophobia elsewhere, it is not welcome on this forum.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Take your xenophobia elsewhere, it is not welcome on this forum.

Xenophobia is the dislike or prejudice against people from other countries. I am not supporting xenophobia at all - in fact I resent the allegation and I suggest you withdraw it. Also, your effort to suppress my free speech is somewhat worrying in a discussion forum, no?
    My point is that any religion practitioners who are not prepared to accept the norms of our society, but attempt instead to change them (by of example trying to coax a vunerable woman to convert), should not be welcome.
    It is a perfectly legitimate point of view, based on the ideals of secularism (as promulgated in France for example) and should not be confused with xenophobia - which I hate.

LorMal wrote: »
    Xenophobia is the dislike or prejudice against people from other countries. I am not supporting xenophobia at all - in fact I resent the allegation and I suggest you withdraw it. Also, your effort to suppress my free speech is somewhat worrying in a discussion forum, no?
    My point is that any religion practitioners who are not prepared to accept the norms of our society, but attempt instead to change them (by of example trying to coax a vunerable woman to convert), should not be welcome.
    It is a perfectly legitimate point of view, based on the ideals (as promulgated in France for example) and should not be confused with xenophobia - which I hate.

Free speech does not exist on a privately owned website.

• Advertisement

Free speech does not exist on a privately owned website.

Why bother discussing anything then? Let's just check what we are alllowed to believe and just go along with that then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement