Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

New Home wrote: »
    I know it's not my turn, but I hope it's ok if I ask a question, too, considering how quiet this thread has been, lately.

By what other name is R. Kreutznaer better known as?

Robinson Crusoe?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wow. Two WHOLE minutes!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oops, sorry, yes Ros. And yes, local Norman (and earlier) history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What went on in a beetling mill?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Silkworms?

• Advertisement

Silkworms?

:) No.

Cochineal? (I may be almost always wrong, but I don't give up that easily! :p)

Otherwise... Sugar??

Wow. Two WHOLE minutes!! :)

I was channeling Srameen for that one!! :D

This is from memory so apologies if the wording is off slightly. Who *originally* said:

“I’ll go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company.”

Sounds like Samual L Clememts.
    IrishZeus wrote: »
    I was channeling Srameen for that one!! :D

This is from memory so apologies if the wording is off slightly. Who *originally* said:

“I’ll go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Spike Milligan?

No.
    Cochineal? (I may be almost always wrong, but I don't give up that easily! :p)
    Otherwise... Sugar??

Sounds like Samual L Clememts.

No - it has been attributed to him but there is an earlier record of it by someone else.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Spike Milligan?

Nope, although it would fit him!

Shakespeare? :pac:

Shakespeare? :pac:

Alas, dear New Home....

No.

Well, I'm shocked. (Not)

I actually know I know that one, but I'll be damned if I'm not drawing a blank. :/ Stupid brain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The best epigrams are usually Oscar Wilde.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The best epigrams are usually Oscar Wilde.

Has also been credited to him but he’s not the original.

Hector Hugh Munro (a.k.a. Saki)?

• Advertisement

Hector Hugh Munro (a.k.a. Saki)?

Nope.

I’ll leave it open till lunchtime and post the answer then.

It's bugging me... i'll have to look it up. :rolleyes:

Ok, not the person I was thinking of at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Likewise, I knew I knew the answer to the beetling question but it would not surface, so I checked and yes, that was it. I doubt I would have remembered though so I can't claim it. :(

So just to put this one out of its misery - Ben Wade is the answer. I heard this quote randomly in a movie the other night and I did some investigation.
    Mark Twain and J. M. Barrie both employed versions of this quip, and detailed citations are presented further below. Nevertheless, the earliest evidence located by QI pointed to another individual. The joke was attributed to Ben Wade by a judge named Arthur MacArthur while he was speaking at a National Conference of Charities and Correction in 1885. The context did not provide enough details to uniquely identify Wade, but MacArthur may have been referring to the United States Senator Benjamin Franklin “Bluff” Wade. Emphasis added to excerpts by QI: 1

The effect of that paper reminded me of an anecdote relating to Ben Wade, who was once asked his opinion on heaven and hell. Well,” said Mr. Wade, “I think, from all I can learn, that heaven has the better climate, but hell has the better company.”

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/07/19/heaven-for-climate/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Zeus, very appropriate considering we're on page 666.

Water John wrote: »
    Zeus, very appropriate considering we're on page 666.

Based on the company here, I've mostly certainly gone to..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I suspect looksee will move to a new thread very shortly so I think we have a successful thread here, I would like to thank everyone who has taken part I hope we can keep it going abit longer yet.

just a gentle reminder of a saying I am fond of "even a fool can ask a question a wise nan can not answer" so keep it simple folks. it is not about how much you know it is about how much you can learn .

Rubecula wrote: »
    I suspect looksee will move to a new thread very shortly so I think we have a successful thread here, I would like to thank everyone who has taken part I hope we can keep it going abit longer yet.

just a gentle reminder of a saying I am fond of "even a fool can ask a question a wise nan can not answer" so keep it simple folks. it is not about how much you know it is about how much you can learn .

I nominate Rube to ask a question for me. I’m away to Donegal enjoying a weekend with my little ones, so I may not be back to check for updates if I ask one.

If you would do me the honor Rube :)

• Advertisement

What links Lady Balfour, Mozart and Chopin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement