Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extradite killers to the USA.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ideally those who vote for the death penalty should have their names recorded and should be put on an 'Executioner Duty' list that might see them actually have to press the 'death button' on threat of a year in prison if they refuse/can't.

I'd do it for €60k a year. Line them up. 10/15/20/50 a day. Without a second thought.

Fair point, what I should have said was why kill prisoners when it is completely ineffective in terms of a deterrent. Do you believe that in these crimes of passion (that's what the majority are) the murdered will stop, consider his actions and the potential outcome and the potential to escape? No, of course not.

Justice is better viewed as a tool to better society rather than a binary solution to provide some vague notice of justice to a family of the victim whilst at the same time risking doubling that injustice by killing an innocent or mentally ill / someone with a severe learning difficulty etc.

What would be the point? Do you prioritise the possibility (and it's only a possibility) that the victims family might get some sort of satisfaction watching the death of the person that committed the capital offense? I think that's a very transitory, vague and useless notion of justice. Better the objective of the justice system to be the reduction of crime through rehabilitation, treat the urge to commit crime as a multi faceted issue including mental health problems, social problems and yes, the possibility that certain people are downright evil bstards who should be isolated from society. Killing to stop killing is not the way to achieve that.

Surely execution is 100% effective as a deterrent. How many people who have been executed have re-offended??

If someone is that way inclined that they would murder someone in cold blood, I don't think they would stop and research the consequences.

so does life in prison. but neither stop others from murdering. but if you really are against killing, then you won't support killing to show killing is wrong, because it actually shows that it is right

So a prisoner serving life in prison has never murdered someone in prison?? Or are you talking claptrap??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I'd do it for €60k a year. Line them up. 10/15/20/50 a day. Without a second thought.

No sorry, you don't get paid for it. You also sign a waiver stating if you execute an innocent person that was wrongly accused you get executed as punishment for killing an innocent person.
    Surely execution is 100% effective as a deterrent. How many people who have been executed have re-offended??

If that was true, why are there still murders where the death penalty is legal?
    Anyone convicted of murder straight to the electric chair within a hour.

Really? So what about appeals etc? People are on death row in the states for years, decades because of retrials etc. What about that man that was released recently after spending 30 years on death row?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah, i'm sure. in your head.

you do know the deterrent is to others, and not to the person being executed. it doesn't work as that deterrent to others.
    So a prisoner serving life in prison has never murdered someone in prison?? Or are you talking claptrap??

they have. but i'm sure with proper security, prisoners wouldn't be able to murder each other

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hachiko wrote: »
    In light of the tragic events in Glasgow, I see no reason why say the governments of Ireland and the UK could reach some agreement to send people convicted of crimes like this to the USA, where they can be put on death row.

Seriously, crimes like this are the lowest of the low and I am sure the cost of sending these vile people abroad can be subsidised by tax payers.

I am all in.

Wow. You really have no idea what extradition is do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

so does life in prison. but neither stop others from murdering. but if you really are against killing, then you won't support killing to show killing is wrong, because it actually shows that it is right

In practice, it's far, far, far, far, far easier to ensure someone is dead than it is to ensure they remain in prison for life. Historically, even the world's most extreme 'inescapable' prisons have had prisoners escape.

yeah, i'm sure. in your head.

you do know the deterrent is to others, and not to the person being executed. it doesn't work as that deterrent to others.

they have. but i'm sure with proper security, prisoners wouldn't be able to murder each other

I'd have no problem doing it.

So there should be no prisons then? Because crimes that are punishable by imprisonment, are still being carried out. Theft, robbery, murder, rape, etc. So obviously prison is not a deterrent so scrap it eh?

What about the guards? The prisoner would have access to the guards, and could kill them, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

lertsnim wrote: »
    Wow. You really have no idea what extradition is do you?

what genius solution have you sir. Clearly we have vile beings convicted of atrocious crimes on these shores over several decades that on hindsight would be best dealt with a swift death. Alas, such is the nature of our justice system, it is not always done as one would wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

catallus wrote: »
    Why not just bring in death row here?

Because we're part of the civilised world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

lizzyman wrote: »
    Because we're part of the civilised world.

The USA is pretty civilized as are many other countries and they kill people like this, or at least put them in the Queue.

Hachiko wrote: »
    The USA is pretty civilized as are many other countries and they kill people like this, or at least put them in the Queue.
    the USA doesn't know the meaning of the world civilised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ali Damache got off being deported despite being involved in conspiracy to murder due to conditions in the supermaxs over there, the judicery here are way too soft when it comes to it.

Ali Damache got off being deported despite being involved in conspiracy to murder due to conditions in the supermaxs over there, the judicery here are way too soft when it comes to it.
    good. one less for murikas revolving door system, and private prison racket

Advertisement