Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian Conflict 2014 - ? (Take II)

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

It doesn't occur to you that the current Russian government might be the one that Russians want and if the "west", meaning the US of course, doesn't like that then too bad.

I don't think any sovereign nation should require the permission/approval of another to choose their own government.

But Russia doesn't have Majority Rule,
    - therefore Russians do not choose their own government,
    - therefore it's improbable that Russians have the government they want anyway.

'Supporting the government you have', does not equal 'having the government you want', but is not unusual where Siege Mentality is concerned.

I'm trying to avoid going off topic here, but I don't think you are considering this rationally to be honest.
    It may help you to take this out of the Cold War terms for a moment and equate in the context of our own history; When Ireland engaged in an economic war with Britain, it was so self destructive, it's questionable whether it could even be considered a pyrrhic victory. That situation was definitely 'mild' in comparison to the bed Russia has made;

Russia is in a state of economic meltdown, diplomatic self-destruction, suffering Dutch Disease, multiple former allies are now sworn enemies and those who dissent are imprisoned or murdered in view of the Kremlin, all while engaged in an irredentist war against a historical blood brother.

An overwhelming clusterf**k.
    The last I heard Putin's popularity stands at 85%.

That figure is incorrect, his rating was recently upgraded to 89%

Putin's personal popularity has increased - which I don't dispute.
    The actual figure I would dispute - if there were any point:rolleyes: (When Russians were asked who they would like to see elected when the actual ballot is due (in March 2018), 57 percent replied they would be happy if Putin is reelected. Twenty-five percent said they would prefer someone else and 19 percent found it difficult to make a choice.) - , but certainly from anecdotal experience, he became much more popular following the Crimea annexation.

This is not unprecedented by any means:
    Hitler's popularity soared following the French campaign,
    Thatcher's following Falklands,
    Bush following Iraq.

As you know, the story never ends there.

Given your manifest affection for America, I am sure you would be the first to agree that high approval ratings are not necessarily a validation of good governance or ethical conduct.

Nobody has a clear picture of the actual situation in Russia in my honest opinion, including the Kremlin, but it's clear that the picture which has been painted is not nearly perfect:
    http://www.rferl.org/content/rumblin.../27039567.html
    In elections to the local council in Kaliningrad Oblast's Baltisky district, the ruling United Russia party failed to secure even a single seat. Turnout was 47.7 percent, unusually high for a local council election.

The online newspaper Gazeta.ru called it "a crushing defeat" for the party of power.

And the international picture is much more telling:
    http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2015/08/Pew-Research-Center-Russia-Image-Report-FINAL-August-5-2015.pdf
    According to the Pew Research Center's new report, only three countries in the world have a net positive opinion of Russia: China, Vietnam, and Ghana. Worldwide, a median of just 30 percent view Russia favorably.

In Europe, just 26% view Russia favorably,
    in the Middle East, only 25% do.
    In Latin America, it's only 29%.
    In the regions most favorably inclined toward Russia — Asia and Africa — it's just 37%.

And if Russia's global image is bad, Putin's is dismal.
    Worldwide, just 24% trust him.
    In Europe, just 15% do.
    Apparently the Russian government under Yeltsin and his oligarchs (many now born again democrats exiled in the west) wasn't a "problem" when life expectancy had fallen into the 50s and Russians were starving in the streets.

This issue is most complex in the entire story and requires a thread of it's own.

But there is a shorter point to be made:

Economic divergence between Poland and Ukraine:
    main-qimg-f5cf736d9a7ab93d191bdc9488771c87?convert_to_webp=true

main-qimg-1aa82a5296cbb6d40b985668069d8675?convert_to_webp=true
    2015 contrast is even more grim:
    Poland, pm- net: €737 ($801)
    Ukraine, pm -net: €120 / ($130)

This trend persists when contrasting countries within the Russian sphere against those who have moved out of the Russian sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Didnt 'WakeUp' expend hundreds of posts telling us that Russia with its economy smaller than Italy had the West in the palm of its hand & would be crushed under the might of Putin?

The sanctions, such as they are (and they are pretty modest) were the least the West could do.

They aren't without consequence though as they coincide with the drop in EU dairy quotas so its a factor in causing the drop in milk prices.

Yes well I think those that manage to convince themselves of various conspiracy theories and swallow Kremlin propaganda whole merely because it affirms their politics also seem to convince themselves that groups or countries that are in opposition to the West are not only to be given a pass on many moral issues (that they would lambaste the west for) but are also greatly exaggerated in power and ability, in the hopes that the West (or lets be honest, usually the States) will be taught some sort of lesson. It all comes as part of a general political milieu that is honestly so predictable I can guess what position many will take on pretty much any event of global importance.

As an example, and to bring it back on topic, you had the little green men in Crimea - the original Russian line that these were spontaneous military formations sprouting up was first trotted out. Then when Russia didnt bother lying anymore it became about how the people of Crimea wanted to be Russian so it wasnt REALLY an invasion.

Or when the plane was shot down it was that the Ukrainians had done it via fighter jet. When that became disproved it was that it was shot down by a Ukrainian Buke. Now that Russia blocked any chance of an independent UN investigation into the matter all the evidence, no matter how conclusive will be dismissed by the Kremlin and their cheerleaders as "propaganda" or lies. Which is basically the go to - when the evidence starts stacking up as is so often the case with these things just saying "its the mainstream media, who believes them?" or "its a Western government, who believes them?" becomes the go to move as trying to explain away all the evidence individually becomes too onerous a task.

I honestly thought that Russian propaganda was far too open and unsophisticated to convince anyone outside of Russia of the truth of their position but it seems to have created this cloud of doubt and debate where really there SHOULD be none. I wonder if that is the ultimate goal for them in the West - not to convince a lot of us of one thing or another but to create the illusion of doubt on enough issues that action becomes more difficult.

Luckily at least at the higher levels of government no one seems to be fooled though I wonder if the sanctions would have been more onerous (among other sticks) were the Russians more honest about what they were doing?

i agree, Russias economy is big enough and tied enough to Europes that even this limited economic war will have an effect on very specific sectors. However considering that the Russian economy almost went into freefall, and the sanctions played a big part in that, a lesson I think was learned in the Kremlin, if it got really serious they would fall much further and harder than us. I think that is why we are seeing things like the childish destruction of food and weak propaganda victories like that, its one of the very few ways they can lash out.

SamHarris wrote: »
    Yes well I think those that manage to convince themselves of various conspiracy theories and swallow Kremlin propaganda whole merely because it affirms their politics also seem to convince themselves that groups or countries that are in opposition to the West are not only to be given a pass on many moral issues (that they would lambaste the west for) but are also greatly exaggerated in power and ability, in the hopes that the West (or lets be honest, usually the States) will be taught some sort of lesson.

The irony is that when the history books will be written, the Russian people will recall that many of the 'collaborators' - the non-Russians who supported the regime - did so at the expense of the Russian people, merely to satisfy their desire to attack America.

Mark my words, this will be used another stick to beat the West with at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    That's a strawman argument of course, I didn't suggest it, I believe sovereign nations are free to implement their own legislation, including Russia or Ukraine.

There is a caveat however;
    Foreign Agent Restrictions are dangerous in a country with high levels of censorship and low levels of Press Freedom; this is symptomatic of Totalitarianism -a political system in which the state holds total control over the society and seeks to control all aspects of public and private life wherever possible.
    Why nobody cares about Saudi Arabia, where there is no NGO at all?
    Freedom House ranks Ireland at 16/180countries in the Freedom of the Press Index, and it has never been out of the top 20 places.
    Russia ranks at 148/180countries and has never been below 120 since Putin's reign began.
    Freedom House report is more measuring lelel of USA support rather than real freedom. How many opposiotion media can you name in Oman, which is 40 positions above Russia?
    Of all industrialised nations with well educated populations, Russia has the highest level of censorship and lowest levels of press freedom.
    This is how Western propaganda is trying to present Russia
    Most importantly however, Russia has one of the highest rates of murder for journalists of any industrialised country (at least 28 known since Putin's ascension, though the suspected figure is 3 times that amount).
    If you will check you link, you will see that most journalists have been killed before Putin came to power, but who cares?
    BTW, for some reason, Committee to Protect Journalist, mentioned only one journalist killed in Ukraine in 2015, while in reality it was three
    http://www.rt.com/news/250245-ukraine-opposition-journalist-dead/
    In addition to Serhiy Nikolayev, metioned by CPJ, it was also Sergey Sukhobok and Oles Buzina.
    I know that you will tell that only pro-Western journalists should be counted, but still...
    So now that I have clarified my position regard Foreign Agent Restrictions,
    Really?
    how do you reconcile your usage of NGOs to validate your assertion, when Russia is banning NGOs?
    Do you feel it is a credible source?
    Do you feel there are exceptions to the general rule of NGOs being unreliable?
    Please elaborate.
    Russia is not banning NGO, Russia is banning foreign funding of NGO, but again, who cares?
    Even not banning, but forcing NGO to declare themsleves as foreign agent, so Russian people will know it
    The BBC is hardly exotic, and that was the first result produced by google after a 10 second search.
    Here, I have even saved the search for you, based on a statement you made!
    Click Me

Western Journalism has varying degrees of impartiality, but you are relying on anecdotal evidence and extremely limited sources, that's why you have formed such an erroneous impression - hence I asked you to broaden your sources. That applies to both Russians and non-Russians.

One outside a totalitarian system could be equally misled by relying on limited sources, e.g. Fox News resembles Sputnik i Pogram and the vast majority of Russian media - heavy distortion of facts, heavy censorship, incitement of xenophobia (Mexicans/Central Asians) - and is ridiculed worldwide, just like the majority of Russian media. They are devoid of credibility.
    Is it what Western propaganda says?
    Russian State mostly own few most popular channels, like British own BBC and Ireland PravdaRTE. Most of newspapers, online news agencies and radio stations are in private ownership.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Russia
    Russian Freedoms have been gradually eroded for years:
    Again, Western media created such impression
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-red-cross-takes-action-against-google-over-blogger-identity-1.627894
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64268458

So everybody who doesn't like it, can use Facebook.
    The only real disapointment will be for NSA, who won't be able to collect data about VK users
    [URL="Russian Internet 'One Step Away' From Chinese Firewall
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russian-internet-one-step-away-from-chinese-firewall/499121.html"]Russian Internet 'One Step Away' From Chinese Firewall
    [/URL]
    So Russian people will have to use Opera and anonymizers more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That whataboutery will probably be usefull in your KSA thread, when you start it!

How many opposiotion media can you name in Oman
    That whataboutery will probably be usefull in your Oman thread, when you start it!

raise your game Ivan.

If you will check you link, you will see that most journalists have been killed before Putin came to power
    149 murders.... sure thats fine isnt it?
    Your boy has been a busy shirtless bee!
    Aah.... well thats fine so.

Strange that you rail against the NSA doing it, but sure its okey-dokey when your boss does it!

such a poor and very transparent effort.

• Advertisement

People do care - Saudia Arabia ranks at 7 - Worst of the Worst.

They just care less, because Saudia Arabia
    - has cultural issues, whereas Russia merely has leadership issues
    - isn't invading anybody and
    - doesn't possess the capacity to end the human race.

I'm surprised you chose SA, when you could have chosen North Korea!
    Why would that be I wonder?
    Freedom House report is more measuring lelel of USA support rather than real freedom. How many opposiotion media can you name in Oman, which is 40 positions above Russia?

Here is the comparison chart:
    331kch4.png

Do you know why Oman is 40 places above Russia?
    It's not because Oman has improved!
    This is how Western propaganda is trying to present Russia

If you have evidence to substantiate your point, then present it.
    Otherwise, it's just your opinion.
    If you will check you link, you will see that most journalists have been killed before Putin came to power, but who cares?

Putin was appointed head of the FSB by Yeltsin, 25th July 1998.
    You can count yourself...

BTW, for some reason, Committee to Protect Journalist, mentioned only one journalist killed in Ukraine in 2015, while in reality it was three
    http://www.rt.com/news/250245-ukraine-opposition-journalist-dead/
    In addition to Serhiy Nikolayev, metioned by CPJ, it was also Sergey Sukhobok and Oles Buzina.
    I know that you will tell that only pro-Western journalists should be counted, but still...

So why don't you email CPJ and ask why they have not been included?
    Really?
    O RLY?

Russia is not banning NGO, Russia is banning foreign funding of NGO, but again, who cares?
    Even not banning, but forcing NGO to declare themsleves as foreign agent, so Russian people will know it

Fiona Corcoran, Founder of the Greater Chernobyl Cause, received the Order of Friendship award, but didn't receive any Russian funding...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/putin-was-chatty-and-friendly-says-irish-humanitarian-1.2016299
    The Greater Chernobyl Cause relies almost entirely for support from fundraising activities in the towns and villages of Ireland.

And here is the funding for the Chernobyl shield:
    The EU has pledged €250 million towards the cost of the Safe Confinement project; the US €182 million, Germany €60 million, the UK €53 million, Ukraine €45 million, Russia €15 million:rolleyes:. Ireland has contributed €8 million towards the cost of building a gigantic concrete shield or ‘sarcophagus’ over the still leaking reactor.

Is it what Western propaganda says?
    Russian State mostly own few most popular channels, like British own BBC and Ireland PravdaRTE. Most of newspapers, online news agencies and radio stations are in private ownership.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Russia

Intersting.
    You choose to use a Russian medium to question the impartiality of an Irish one...Freudian slip?
    Again, Western media created such impression

I see - and what impression does this create?
    https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/08/12/russia-bans-reddit
    13th August - Reddit, one of the most popular destinations on the Internet, has been added to Russia's list of banned websites.

So everybody who doesn't like it, can use Facebook.
    The only real disapointment will be for NSA, who won't be able to collect data about VK users

You do realise the reason Pavel Durov was chased out of Russia, was because he refused to give VK data to the FSB on Ukrainian dissidents?
    http://www.ewdn.com/2014/04/22/durov-says-he-gave-up-vkontakte-share-because-of-anti-maidan-pressure-from-fsb/
    Vkontakte founder forced to resign after revealing anti-Maidan pressure from FSB

“On December 13, 2013 the FSB demanded that we disclose personal information on the leaders of Euromaidan [the Kiev-based movement that organized protests against the regime of former Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich]. Our response to such requests has always been ‘no,’ as Russian jurisdiction does not cover VKontakte’s Ukrainian users. Giving Ukrainians’ personal data away to Russian authorities would not only have been illegal, it would also have been disloyal to the millions of Ukrainian citizens who trusted us,” Durov explained.

Did you know GitHub is blocked in Russia?
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8692584
    hal9000xp 252 days ago

I live in Russia (Moscow) and I'm working for leading russian internet company. I'm very annoyed by current political and economical situation. I was so upset by events happening last months that I simply stopped reading russian news at all. And I spent all the time in places like GitHub, Topcoder, English Wikipedia, Hacker News etc. Yesterday, I've tried to make yet another commit to my private repository and suddenly I failed to connect to GitHub. After basic checking of network, I started searching for a news, and I got it.
    In a big picture, it's not just russian politicians who tight control over the free internet. The main problem in russia is not just politicians, it's a vast majority of russian people who voted for Putin and his party and totally support current regime.
    May be for western people it's hard to believe how can it be possible to support this crazy regime. I can tell you that even top managers from leading russian internet company (from my private conversation with them) dreamed about great russian firewall because in that case, they won't have competitors like Google. Furthermore even IT guys like Putin regime and don't get worry about crazy laws passed against the internet. I assure you in that because many of my colleagues really like Stalin and really like what's happening in Ukraine. Almost all people in Russia really hate western world. They don't care about currency exchange rates and inflation, they care only about imperialism. When Putin made desision about Crimea, and when people totally supported it, I stopped believe in Russia at all.
    Russia is a pure soviet country, with pure 100% soviet mindset, vast majority of russian people like idea of self-isolation. This is why Russia has no future as a liberal market-driven country.
    And this is why I'm actively looking for a job abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of popular sites blocked in Russia: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33756427

People do care - Saudia Arabia ranks at 7 - Worst of the Worst.

They just care less, because Saudia Arabia
    - has cultural issues, whereas Russia merely has leadership issues
    Why Russians should have leader, which suits USA rather than them?
    - isn't invading anybody and
    My apologies, I forgot that Yemen doesn’t count
    http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-08-12/saudi-and-uae-boots-ground-intensify-yemen-war
    - doesn't possess the capacity to end the human race.
    Not yet
    I'm surprised you chose SA, when you could have chosen North Korea!
    Why would that be I wonder?
    I knew that you will mention NK :-D
    Here is the comparison chart:
    331kch4.png

Do you know why Oman is 40 places above Russia?
    It's not because Oman has improved!
    Are you serious that country with absolute monarchy without any political parties/independent media and where you even cannot buy Playboy in newsagent, has more freedom than Russia?
    If you have evidence to substantiate your point, then present it.
    Otherwise, it's just your opinion.
    Simple - Ukraine has even more censorship and less freedom, but Western media are trying to present Russia as evil
    Try to google about Oles Buzina, Sergey Sukhobok, Ruslan Kotsaba or attacks on offices of various media in Kiev
    if it would happen in Russia, it would be a massive hysteria in Western newspapers, but in Ukraine it is acceptable

Putin was appointed head of the FSB by Yeltsin, 25th July 1998.
    You can count yourself...
    Are you saying that head of FSB is the most powerful person in Russia?

So why don't you email CPJ and ask why they have not been included?
    Why should I? Thanks to CPJ, they did a good job by voiding all your references to so called “independent” sources as politically biased
    And here is the funding for the Chernobyl shield:
    And?
    It never been a secret for Russian people that a lot of charities have foreign funding
    The only NGO are really affected, were NGO which were existing on foreign money, but pretended to be Russian and their opinion can presented as opinion as Russian people
    Intersting.
    You choose to use a Russian medium to question the impartiality of an Irish one...Freudian slip?
    Actually, Pravda is the Soviet brand, but your nickname says that you was to young to remember it
    I see - and what impression does this create?
    This is what happens when you mention only one part of story
    https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/08/13/russia-unblocks-reddit
    You do realise the reason Pavel Durov was chased out of Russia, was because he refused to give VK data to the FSB on Ukrainian dissidents?
    Like Snowden was chased out of USA. FSB is not alone to get access to personal data of users

Did you know GitHub is blocked in Russia?
    Actually was and for few days only
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub#Censorship
    Anyway, thanks to making perfect example of brainwashing by Western propaganda

Why Russians should have leader, which suits USA rather than them?

That's the point tovarish - they don't.
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/putin-era-prosperity-fades-as-more-russians-slip-into-poverty/523422.html
    last year, as Russian economic growth stalled, the number of Russians below the poverty line increased by 600,000 people to reach 16.1 million. The increase was the largest annual rise since 2000, and left 11.2 percent of the population in official poverty, according to Rosstat.

This year, with the economy expected to shrink by around 3 percent, will be worse.

The Economic Development Ministry said earlier this year that the share of people whose incomes are below the living minimum would increase to 12.4 percent by the end of 2015, according to news agency RIA Novosti.

Based on Rosstat's end-2014 population figure of 143.75 million, that rise would put 1.7 million more people into poverty, raising the number in penury to just over 17.8 million.

The World Bank in an April report was bleaker, predicting that 14.2 percent of Russians would be in poverty by the year's end, implying an increase of more than 5 million people to 20.4 million.

1a.png

Russianrealmilspending.png

Actually, I concede this point to you tovarish.

Anti-Totalitarianism 534,432: Count Dooku 1

It amazes me that you actually continue this debate tovarish, you are giving us so many topics to research about Russia, I am starting to think you are a Freedom Fighter trying to expose Russian Totalitarianism!
    Not yet

Then you of course share our concerns since Russia is not immune to nuclear attack/terrorism either
    https://news.vice.com/article/russia-is-now-vulnerable-to-surprise-nuclear-attack
    Russia Is Now Vulnerable to Surprise Nuclear Attack
    Russia's space-based early warning system, designed to alert the nation to an inbound nuclear missile attack, is offline, leaving Moscow partially blind to potential intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) attacks.
    I knew that you will mention NK :-D

- You claimed Russia has press freedom tovarish
    - I present evidence showing you are wrong - Russia does not have press freedom
    - You tried to justify Russian Totalitarianism, by comparing to other totalitarian states
    - You didn't mention NK because they're a Russian ally. Instead you mentioned SA because they're an American ally.
    - I mentioned your omission of North Korea to demonstrate to the other viewers of this thread (10k+) your tribal mindset.

Therefore, it's clear to readers how a tribal mindset distorts rational thinking.
    Are you serious that country with absolute monarchy without any political parties/independent media and where you even cannot buy Playboy in newsagent, has more freedom than Russia?
    Yawn...
    I've presented the evidence tovarish.
    It's up to you to provide counter-evidence, personal opinions are meaningless.
    Simple - Ukraine has even more censorship and less freedom, but Western media are trying to present Russia as evil

Any evidence tovarish?
    Try to google about Oles Buzina, Sergey Sukhobok, Ruslan Kotsaba or attacks on offices of various media in Kiev
    if it would happen in Russia, it would be a massive hysteria in Western newspapers, but in Ukraine it is acceptable

Yea, I agree with you tovarish - it's deplorable. There are hundreds of atrocities being committed in Ukraine. On BOTH sides.
    Is anyone pretending otherwise?
    That is why we want Russia to end the invasion and use diplomacy.

Are you saying that head of FSB is the most powerful person in Russia?
    Are you saying Vladimir Putin was not head of the FSB tovarish?
    Western Propaganda is it? :rolleyes:
    Why should I? Thanks to CPJ, they did a good job by voiding all your references to so called “independent” sources as politically biased
    Because I happen to agree with you tovarish - it's curious that these journalists have been omitted, when anti-Western journalists from the rest of the world are not omitted.

It may come as a shock to you tovarish, but most Western people think about Russia as infrequently as they think about Africa.
    It doesn't occupy the position of importance in Western minds that you ascribe it i.e. in the way that Russians think about America for example, or in the way that Irish people used to think about Britain.

Ireland lived in the shadow of Britain, and Britain was at the forefront of Irish decision making.
    But Britain looked out upon an entire Empire, and barely gave Ireland a second thought.

The same goes for the world and Russia.
    Russia obsesses over America, and imagines every one reads about Russia in the news.
    That couldn't be further from the truth.

We live in a highly connected world, from which Russia has totally cut herself off a few years ago.
    Nobody wants to slight Russia, because nobody even thinks about Russia anymore, (until it begin invading it's neighbours)

And?
    It never been a secret for Russian people that a lot of charities have foreign funding

Charities were forbidden during the Soviet era tovarish.
    It's never been a secret for the Russian people, that foreigners fund the care of their sick and elderly, while the Russians spend money on weapons
    The only NGO are really affected, were NGO which were existing on foreign money, but pretended to be Russian and their opinion can presented as opinion as Russian people

Present evidence tovarish.
    Actually, Pravda is the Soviet brand, but your nickname says that you was to young to remember it

Wrong, Pravda.ru is a Russian publication tovarish
    http://www.pravda.ru/

This is what happens when you mention only one part of story
    https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/08/13/russia-unblocks-reddit

erm...I think you forgot to finish your sentence there tovarish?
    Did you have a point?
    Like Snowden was chased out of USA.

Must try harder tovarish.
    Zuckerberg is Durov's counterpart.

I praise Snowden's actions and condemn American surveillance, but America did not sink as low as Russia in this case tovarish.
    Russian war criminals murdered protesters at Maidan using evidence stolen from VK.
    FSB is not alone to get access to personal data of users

The Iron Curtain lives tovarish.

Actually was and for few days only
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub#Censorship

So the censorship is over, tovarish?
    A Facebook page protesting an event against the prosecution of Alexey Navalny was blocked in the Russian Federation.
    A Roskomnadzor representative stated that the page was blocked because it promoted an "unsanctioned mass event".:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks to making perfect example of brainwashing by Western propaganda

What is thanks to a perfect example of brainwashing by Western Propaganda?
    Mysterious tovarish...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Goading other posters is uncivil and borderline trolling.

• Advertisement

This next bit of news is particularly reprehensible, - even for Russia.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/mh17-russia-burns-dutch-flowers-as-tensions-mount-over-investigation-into-plane-disaster-10452857.html
    Russia has stoked tensions with the West by burning Dutch flowers, in what has been regarded as a political statement over the investigation into the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 disaster headed by the Netherlands.

Russia is also attempting to use it's extortion tactics against the Dutch, which they've used against Ukraine, Moldova etc, to destroy the investigation into MH-17
    The burnings will likely hike up fresh flower prices in Russia, where much of the $2.5 billion flower market supplied is by the Netherlands, and will coincide with the new school term when children traditionally give their teachers flowers.

“The Russians are searching for any reason not to let our flowers in. We know this is politically motivated,” a spokesperson for a Dutch flower firm, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.

Recent Examples of this extortion tactic:
    Russia ban the importation of Moldovan Wine

Russia ban the importation of Ukranian Choclate

Then lift it after Yanukovich reneged on the EU agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Meh.... Let them.

They are set on their path of economic immolation & glorious soviet isolation.

They will be the weaker for it.

Russia seems happy to play as China's useful idiot for the time being.

But in a decade or so, when China has no more need to depend on rather ropey Russian military equipment, Vladi will learn that his nation can't prosper being 5% of China's energy imports & cheap land for North Korean labour camps.

You reap what you sow.

This year, with the economy expected to shrink by around 3 percent, will be worse.
    It called Dutch disease, Russia was too much dependent from oil/gas revenues and Ukraine has very little to do with it.
    Now Russia got an opportunity to reduce import, especially from EU, and boost own industry.
    The Economic Development Ministry said earlier this year that the share of people whose incomes are below the living minimum would increase to 12.4 percent by the end of 2015, according to news agency RIA Novosti.
    In some countries it even worse
    140916102024-chart-census-poverty-1024x576.png
    U.S. poverty rate drops for first time since 2006
    Then you of course share our concerns since Russia is not immune to nuclear attack/terrorism either
    Actually, early warning system doesn't protect Russia(or USA). It just increase number of missiles, which will be launced for retaliation
    Even 10 Russian missiles, survivied after strike, can destroy 100 targets, so I don't think that USA will be tempted to launch surprise attack before November, when it will be ready.

I've presented the evidence tovarish.
    Any names of independent media in Oman?
    Any evidence tovarish?
    http://www.rt.com/news/253117-nato-ukraine-terror-site/
    actually modern days version of proscription
    That is why we want Russia to end the invasion and use diplomacy.
    Do you mean let Ukrainian perform ethnic cleansings in Novorossia, similar to Operation Storm?
    Wrong, Pravda.ru is a Russian publication tovarish
    http://www.pravda.ru/
    FYI
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100491
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056538909
    https://steverawson.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/more-rte-pravda-style-rubbish-dished-up-by-harry-crosbie-on-the-late-late-last-night/
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/187985-newstalk-new-pravda.html
    etc
    Zuckerberg is Durov's counterpart.
    Why Zuckerberg should leave, if NSA already has full access to his servers?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23123964
    So the censorship is over, tovarish?
    A Facebook page protesting an event against the prosecution of Alexey Navalny was blocked in the Russian Federation.
    A Roskomnadzor representative stated that the page was blocked because it promoted an "unsanctioned mass event".
    I lost my hope to get from you real examples of censorship in Russia with thousands of sites blocked
    Next time look there, but still apart from blocking those sites nothing happened with their authors in comparison with paying hundreds of thousands for exposing corruption in Department of Arts or in Irish Red Cross

- You claimed Russia has press freedom tovarish
    - I present evidence showing you are wrong - Russia does not have press freedom
    - You tried to justify Russian Totalitarianism, by comparing to other totalitarian states
    - You didn't mention NK because they're a Russian ally. Instead you mentioned SA because they're an American ally.
    - I mentioned your omission of North Korea to demonstrate to the other viewers of this thread (10k+) your tribal mindset.

Therefore, it's clear to readers how a tribal mindset distorts rational thinking.
    swoon2.gif
    FYI, number of views != number of viewers

Any evidence tovarish?
    http://www.kyivpost.com/content/lifestyle/mashable-ukraine-is-banning-films-and-tv-shows-that-glorify-russias-military-385189.html
    https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/08/11/ukraine-just-banned-38-russian-books
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/08/09/world/europe/ap-eu-ukraine-blacklist.html?_r=1
    It may come as a shock to you tovarish, but most Western people think about Russia as infrequently as they think about Africa.
    Most of Western people are capable to think what Western propaganda will tell them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Bojack banned for incivility and trolling (posts deleted). Danny boy infracted for lesser incivility.

This particular thread has run its course and will be closed.

If future threads on the Ukraine are opened, they will have to be of high quality.

If they descend into this type of nonsense there will be permabans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement