Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian Conflict 2014 - ? (Take II)

Options
  • 29-01-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Phoenix wrote: »
    So says Leonid Kravchuk,Ukraine's first post-independence president.
    covered here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25939737
    I have been spekaing to friends living in Kiev since the first clashes and some of the stuff that has been allegedly carried out by the state services against the protesters has been abhorrent to say the least...
    I hope this doesnt end up as another Yugoslavia

Dont know a whole lot about ukraine would it be divided along religous and ethnic lines like yugoslavia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

jimboblep wrote: »
    Dont know a whole lot about ukraine would it be divided along religous and ethnic lines like yugoslavia

Generally along ethnic lines.

North-West, Ukranian, nationalist, Pro-European
    South-East, Russian, imperialist, Pro-Russian

There have, however, been protests in the South-East/Russian stronghold.

Ethnolingusitic_map_of_ukraine.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And political divisions - voting maps since independence: Jdaiqwp.png

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ok, the last thread on this topic went badly off the rails towards the end.

The big problem so far has been that the debate ceases to be about a free exchange of opinions or factual debate, and has turned into a cycle of people repeating that the other person's view was invalid.

If responding to another poster, think about this before you post - does my response advance the broader topic or the narrow issue at hand, or is my post simply expressing disagreement or dislike of another person's view?

If the former, post away. If the latter, please refrain from posting.

If you believe someone has a bias or preference for one source of news, think it but don't say it.

If someone's view is demonstrably wrong, then show it, don't just say it.

EDIT: My plan to copy over recent talking points from the other thread isn't going to work, so I'm going to keep the above posts as general background and anyone who wants to start an on topic discussion can do so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Swiss banking authority is co operating with the Ukrainian government over frozern assets belonging to viktor yanukovic held in Swiss accounts totalling around €170 million .
    the authorities are also investigating a huge money laundering operation involving yanukovic his son and 30 of his entourage.
    Ukraines government believe $37 billion in loans given to Ukraine disappeared in 3 years during yanukovics reign and another $70 billion left the country .

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/yanukovych-regime_swiss-move-on-ukraine-frozen-funds-claim/41378902

So if I'm correct nearly $100 billion + vanished with viktor yanukovic and his entourage before being whisked off to Moscow for his own protection.

That figure is absolutely staggering if true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Gatling wrote: »
    The Swiss banking authority is co operating with the Ukrainian government over frozern assets belonging to viktor yanukovic held in Swiss accounts totalling around €170 million .
    the authorities are also investigating a huge money laundering operation involving yanukovic his son and 30 of his entourage.
    Ukraines government believe $37 billion in loans given to Ukraine disappeared in 3 years during yanukovics reign and another $70 billion left the country .

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/yanukovych-regime_swiss-move-on-ukraine-frozen-funds-claim/41378902

So if I'm correct nearly $100 billion + vanished with viktor yanukovic and his entourage before being whisked off to Moscow for his own protection.

That figure is absolutely staggering if true

It is a little ironic that the Swiss have decided to investigate these goings on considering they are and have been a model of tax secrecy though in recent times they have somewhat changed their tune. you could always rely on the Swiss to obfuscate and obstruct this time around and in a couple of other instances outside influences may well have "forced" their hand. wherever that money went its going to be hard to track and pin down. When yanukovic was in power Ukraine was akin to a neofeudal system you could make an argument Russia is sort of on that buzz too. and in some instances now Ukraine has gone toward its own form of outright feudalism . Chocolate barons in control and his mates administering power in various regions .the place is an all round joke. will probably be hard to nail down exactly how much money left the country the Ukrainians are claiming its the amount you allude too whether they can prove that or not is another matter entirely. the web is quite deep.
    Work by the Ukrainian Anti-Corruption Action Centre and other investigative journalists has revealed that Mr Yanukovych’s former private residence, known as Mezhyhirya, was bought some years ago without any competitive tendering process, then immediately re-sold to a Ukrainian company called Tantalit. This firm is owned by an Austrian company, which in turn is 35% owned by a British shell company, Blythe (Europe) Ltd, and 65% owned by an Austrian bank. Blythe, which is owned by an impenetrable Liechtenstein trust, is also understood to be the owner or part-owner of the former president’s hunting lodge and the firm that owns the presidential planes and helicopters.

Tantalit is believed to have been sold last September to Sergey Kluyev, a MP from Mr Yanukovych’s party. The director of one of Tantalit’s corporate shareholders is a lawyer who is known to have worked for the former president and his family. The sole director of Blythe, an Austrian called Reinhard Proksch, told the Reuters news agency “I am not a crook” and said he was co-operating with international authorities. He had previously claimed the firm had no links to Mr Yanukovych. In a press conference last week, held in Russia, Mr Yanukovych said he owns 2.7 hectares of land and the main building at Mezhyhirya, which he bought for $3m. He said the rest of the land on the estate does not belong to him or his family.

Some of the assets suspected of having been stolen are thought to be in Alpine havens. (Austria, in particular, seems to have become a popular way-station for Ukrainian assets.) Others were apparently diverted to, or at least passed through, limited-liability partnerships (LLPs) incorporated in Britain. These, in turn, were held by corporate partners in small offshore secrecy jurisdictions. One LLP, which is suspected of having been used in a $150m gas-rig fraud, was owned by two British Virgin Islands (BVI) entities; control subsequently switched to a pair of firms in Belize. Ownership of another partnership, which was allegedly part of a conspiracy to corner the market in Ukrainian wheat, was moved from the BVI to the Seychelles. Corporate secrecy is strong in the BVI but more water-tight in Belize and the Seychelles. LLPs are popular with money-launderers because they are opaque and—whether by design or accident—can easily slip under the radar of tax authorities.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/03/ukraine-s-stolen-assets

a very rational, well thought out, piece has appeared in the Ukrainian state news agency...
    An article in Ukraine's national news agency claims that the United States is ready to start a new world war.

According to Ukraine's state news agency Ukrinform, the US House of Representatives vote on sending lethal aid to Ukraine means that the United States is ready to begin a "fourth World War:"

"We will get Javelins and other killer hardware. We will be taught by the best American instructors and there will be NATO ships in the Black Sea. But that's not all. Sooner or later a regular American force will appear on Ukrainian territory and it will fight regular Russian forces."

Citing Samuel Huntington's book, "The Clash of Civilizations," the national news agency article said that the tensions between Russia and Ukraine are civilizational because the Kiev-based Ukrainian Orthodox Church supported the Kiev protests which led to the 2014 coup, as well as the idea of a war against Russia.

According to the publication, American "hawks" also want a war against Russia, although they apparently increasingly fight from distant command centers.
    "But they will teach us many things. And we will be able to have a large-scale war," the publication added.
    The publication hopes that a full-scale war will begin after Barack Obama leaves the White House and is replaced by a "decisive Republican."

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150415/1020937007.html?

US paratroopers have have arrived in Ukraine to compliment the British. Canadians will be on the way shortly to send a "message".
    U.S. paratroopers have arrived in Ukraine for Operation Fearless Guardian, a six-month effort to train Ukraine’s newly established national guard force.

The first troops from the 173rd Airborne Brigade arrived Friday in western Ukraine, delivering military cargo after completing a 1,100-mile convoy from their home station in Vicenza, Italy, the Army said.
    http://www.stripes.com/news/us-paratroops-convoy-to-western-ukraine-for-training-mission-1.339858
    Russia is calling Canada's decision to send 200 military trainers to Ukraine "counterproductive and deplorable."

The Russian Embassy in Ottawa said in a statement Wednesday that Canada's actions are helping to assist a military build-up.

Canada announced Tuesday 200 trainers will be posted in western Ukraine, joining U.S. and British soldiers early this summer.

The will last until March 31, 2017. Britain is sending up to 75 military trainers. The U-S has committed 800 troops to train three battalions in western Ukraine.

The move comes after a request from the government of Ukraine.

Canadian Defense Minister Jason Kenney said the deployment of trainers sends Russian President Vladimir Putin a message of resolution and deterrence. Kenney emphasized the troops are far from the conflict zone.

http://www.startribune.com/world/299875741.html?

WakeUp wrote: »
    It is a little ironic that the Swiss have decided to investigate these goings on considering they are and have been a model of tax secrecy though in recent times they have somewhat changed their tune. you could always rely on the Swiss to obfuscate and obstruct this time around and in a couple of other instances outside influences may well have "forced" their hand. wherever that money went its going to be hard to track and pin down. When yanukovic was in power Ukraine was akin to a neofeudal system you could make an argument Russia is sort of on that buzz too. and in some instances now Ukraine has gone toward its own form of outright feudalism . Chocolate barons in control and his mates administering power in various regions .the place is an all round joke. will probably be hard to nail down exactly how much money left the country the Ukrainians are claiming its the amount you allude too whether they can prove that or not is another matter entirely. the web is quite deep.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/03/ukraine-s-stolen-assets

a very rational, well thought out, piece has appeared in the Ukrainian state news agency...

US paratroopers have have arrived in Ukraine to compliment the British. Canadians will be on the way shortly to send a "message".

http://www.stripes.com/news/us-paratroops-convoy-to-western-ukraine-for-training-mission-1.339858

http://www.startribune.com/world/299875741.html?

The US troops have been planned since early February it's not exactly a suprise at this stage the same with Canadian and British troops all planned and announced early in the year .
    Wonder what would happen if 20,000 US ,Canadian, British and Baltic state military volunteers appeared in Ukraine would the various Russian ambassadors be jumping up and down too.
    But ask how yanukovic got so wealthy on an average industrial wage .
    €100 +billion in a few short years is crazy to disappear out of any economy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any chance you can link to the original article. I have looked at the Ukrinform site myself and there is no sign of any such article. I hope your not taking Sputniknews word for it given it is a mouthpiece of the Kremlin. And we do know how they like to bend the truth especially as they do not do what the majority of news sites do which is connect to the source information.
    Sputnik is an international multimedia news service launched on 10 November 2014 by Rossiya Segodnya, an agency wholly owned and operated by the Russian government, which was created by a Decree of the President of Russia on 9 December 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_%28news_agency%29

As for countries sending in assistance to allow the Ukraine defend themselves it's about time and I am delighted that some of the International community are starting to provide real help.

The US troops have been planned since early February it's not exactly a suprise at this stage the same with Canadian and British troops all planned and announced early in the year .
    Wonder what would happen if 20,000 US ,Canadian, British and Baltic state military volunteers appeared in Ukraine would the various Russian ambassadors be jumping up and down too.
    But ask how yanukovic got so wealthy on an average industrial wage .
    €100 +billion in a few short years is crazy to disappear out of any economy

Well if you mean 20,000 US, Canadian, British and Baltic military troops suddenly appearing in Ukraine I would think they wouldnt even get that far. and if they did the Russians would view it as a direct threat to their existence then vapourise them. I dont think it would even get that far it would be a crazy course of action. Vlad would maybe send Barry a selfie of his finger and the button with a short message saying if you send your troops to Ukraine the button gets it. something like that. As for Yanukovic and his crew looting money Im sure he did how much and where it is thats a question I dont know the answer too.
    gandalf wrote: »
    Any chance you can link to the original article. I have looked at the Ukrinform site myself and there is no sign of any such article. I hope your not taking Sputniknews word for it given it is a mouthpiece of the Kremlin. And we do know how they like to bend the truth especially as they do not do what the majority of news sites do which is connect to the source information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_%28news_agency%29

As for countries sending in assistance to allow the Ukraine defend themselves it's about time and I am delighted that some of the International community are starting to provide real help.

Nope I did have a look for it and like you I couldnt find it if I do come across it I will post it if you do please do likewise. I have to be honest and admit I didnt know sputnik was a Russian government outlet so perhaps a pinch of salt with that article I posted fair enough. Kremlin outlets have their use though. Any state news agency bends the truth if and when it suits that isnt just a Russian thing. Ukraine defending themselves. they are dumb enough to go on the offensive. training them is just the beginning and then if arms are supplied and they go on the rampage. they will be committing national suicide the Russians wont have that and they will roll in. be careful what you wish for.

Nope I did have a look for it and like you I couldnt find it if I do come across it I will post it if you do please do likewise. I have to be honest and admit I didnt know sputnik was a Russian government outlet so perhaps a pinch of salt with that article I posted fair enough. Kremlin outlets have their use though. Any state news agency bends the truth if and when it suits that isnt just a Russian thing.

I have a feeling we won't come across it.

I find it surprising that you didn't realise that Sputniknews was an official site given the slant and wording on the majority of articles on the site. Only Pravda has more obvious slanted and even crazy point of view. The Russian news agencies not only bend the truth they have been proven to make it up with regard to the conflict that Russia has started in the Ukraine about vapourware atrocities carried out by Ukrainian forces.

Personally I have a rule about not quoting Russian State funded or Ukrainian official sites if possible as backup for anything I post about this conflict.
    Ukraine defending themselves. they are dumb enough to go on the offensive. training them is just the beginning and then if arms are supplied and they go on the rampage. they will be committing national suicide the Russians wont have that and they will roll in. be careful what you wish for.

Again they are being given training and weapons to defend themselves which they are perfectly entitled to do in their own sovereign territory. Personally I agree 100% with Edward Lucas's assessment of the whole situation.
    Hybrid warfare ultimately works against countries that are weak and unwilling to defend themselves; the Baltic states do have the will and it works as the first and most important line of defense, senior editor of the newsweekly The Economist Edward Lucas said ahead of his appearance at the Lennart Meri Conference in Tallinn later this month.

«We have seen that Russia is capable of doing things that, ten years ago, people would have discounted. So we are dealing with a different sort of Russia now, a Russia that has the means to do unpleasant things to its neighbors,» Lucas told BNS in an interview and added that this is, however, not inevitable. «Each of the Baltic states has its own opportunity to, first of all, prevent this from happening, and, if it does start, resist it very strongly. Ultimately, hybrid warfare works against countries that are weak and do not have the will to defend themselves. The Baltic states do have the will to defend themselves so this is your first and most important line of defense,» he said.

The elements of Russian psychological warfare such as organizing snap exercises and making threats are fundamentally hollow as well, Lucas said and remarked that Russia is a two trillion dollar economy, whereas the NATO member states constitute a forty trillion dollar economy and the defense budget of the United States is nearly half the GDP of Russia. «This is not like the old Cold War, when the Soviet Union was a real rival to the West. Russia is just too weak to pose a challenge to the West. Russia can only win if the West's willpower is weak,» he said. «If somebody is trying to make you scared, it's always a good idea to not be scared.»

http://news.postimees.ee/3157969/edward-lucas-hybrid-warfare-works-against-countries-that-are-weak

• Advertisement

I have a feeling we won't come across it.

I find it surprising that you didn't realise that Sputniknews was an official site given the slant and wording on the majority of articles on the site. Only Pravda has more obvious slanted and even crazy point of view. The Russian news agencies not only bend the truth they have been proven to make it up with regard to the conflict that Russia has started in the Ukraine about vapourware atrocities carried out by Ukrainian forces.

Personally I have a rule about not quoting Russian State funded or Ukrainian official sites if possible as backup for anything I post about this conflict.

Again they are being given training and weapons to defend themselves which they are perfectly entitled to do in their own sovereign territory. Personally I agree 100% with Edward Lucas's assessment of the whole situation.

http://news.postimees.ee/3157969/edward-lucas-hybrid-warfare-works-against-countries-that-are-weak

Im full of surprises. I genuinely didnt know it was a Kremlin sponsored outlet I knew it was Russian alright just not that. whether you believe me or not is up to you with all due respect I dont care. in the interest of fairness the Ukrainians have made things up too that works both ways. not defending Russia just sayin. the first casualty of war is the truth and this applies to all concerned. that lucas article you posted doesnt go into much detail and its highly slanted in one direction. he also states that "Russia is no position to challenge the west" by this does he mean the US? Russia may not be in a position to "challenge" the west ( US ) though they are certainly capable of standing their ground and causing problems if they believe their interests are threatened or at stake. Georgia, Syria and Ukraine being three examples. I also dont believe Putin or Russia wants to attempt to take or do anything in the baltic states or any other Nato member to me thats just nonsense again something Lucas alludes too and I dont take that seriously thats just my opinion. he also talks about "dealing with a different sort of Russia". damn right they are the US/Nato are getting involved in a conflict that is of no concern to them on Russias border.

See heres the thing about training and giving weapons to the Ukrainians who are both unhinged and inept. the army is being trained to fight who exactly? the rebels? it isnt going to work only make the situation worse. Putin has two red lines in Ukraine - no Nato membership and the pro Russian rebels in the east will not be crushed even it means Russia becoming overtly and fully involved this has been stated. if it looks like happening Russian tanks will roll in. there is no military solution to this. many of the people in the east dont want anything to do with Kiev. Kiev has been killing its "own" people in the east. should they not have the right to "defend" themselves too?,, July is when EU sanctions are due to expire. when that happens we have a choice. escalate the sanctions at the behest of the Americans or do our own thing. if the EU decides to follow the Americans and escalate I would posit that Putin will cut off all ties to the west be they practical or diplomatic and mobilise his army fully and prepare his population for all out war. when the anglo American Canadian axis finish training the Ukrainian military and right wing sector will they give the green light for an offensive in the east? will the Russians roll in and vapourise them? will the Americans stand by and watch.? just some of the question that should and need asking.

Im full of surprises. I genuinely didnt know it was a Kremlin sponsored outlet I knew it was Russian alright just not that. whether you believe me or not is up to you with all due respect I dont care. in the interest of fairness the Ukrainians have made things up too that works both ways. not defending Russia just sayin. the first casualty of war is the truth and this applies to all concerned.

Absolutely. Again the only reason I say it is that the majority of your interactions and sources to back them up are from what I would classify as good sources.

I certainly wouldn't use Ukrainian or Ukrainian Government sites as sources either. The country is at war therefore they are going to be spinning their news for the benefit of their population and with public opinion in the rest of the world in mind.

Just one look at the Sputniknews site and you can see that it is pushing a very definite agenda and some of the stories are fairly crazy, although Pravda's English site takes the biscuit for that. I look at it on occasion if I need a good laugh.
    that lucas article you posted doesnt go into much detail and its highly slanted in one direction. he also states that "Russia is no position to challenge the west" by this does he mean the US?

I thought he was quite clear. He was talking from an economic standpoint and meant the US and Europe.
    Russia may not be in a position to "challenge" the west ( US ) though they are certainly capable of standing their ground and causing problems if they believe their interests are threatened or at stake.

I don't think people have issues with countries standing their ground as you state. However standing their ground would typically mean defending their own sovereign territory. Quite clearly they have gone well beyond this with their actions in the Ukraine. They have violated a neighbouring countries borders and territory.
    Georgia, Syria and Ukraine being three examples.

Two are examples of Russia invading territory that wasn't theirs and the other is them protecting one of their largest purchasers of weapons.
    I also dont believe Putin or Russia wants to attempt to take or do anything in the baltic states or any other Nato member to me thats just nonsense again something Lucas alludes too and I dont take that seriously thats just my opinion.

But you have to concede that he has a point in his opening statement. 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago I would never have seen a situation where Russia would have carried out the illegal actions it has in the Ukraine over the last year and a half. With that in mind it is perfectly feasible that we should consider that the Baltic States are in danger. Logically you are correct it shouldn't even be considered but logically I would have never considered that Russia would go back in time and adopt a stance of hybrid warfare to destablise and occupy parts of neighbouring countries, yet here we are with precisely that situation.
    he also talks about "dealing with a different sort of Russia". damn right they are the US/Nato are getting involved in a conflict that is of no concern to them on Russias border.

I think he is refering to the fact that the Russians have done a "crazy ivan" and seem to be reverting to a foreign policy akin to the Soviet times.
    See heres the thing about training and giving weapons to the Ukrainians who are both unhinged and inept. the army is being trained to fight who exactly? the rebels? it isnt going to work only make the situation worse.

Again I disagree with you and I think the Ukrainians are allowed to seek help to bolster their army from wherever they want without being dictated to by a country that has violated their borders.

You call the Ukrainians "unhinged and inept" I would say they are under pressure, under resourced and up against a far better armed, better resourced, better trained and in some case professional military from a much larger regional power.
    Putin has two red lines in Ukraine - no Nato membership and the pro Russian rebels in the east will not be crushed even it means Russia becoming overtly and fully involved this has been stated. if it looks like happening Russian tanks will roll in. there is no military solution to this. many of the people in the east dont want anything to do with Kiev.

But the Ukrainians ultimately should be allow make decisions on what organisations they can and can't join. Russia in its aggressive actions would by my reckoning be the biggest cheerleader to encourage the Ukraine to join Nato.

The "leaders" who started to say they didn't want anything to do with Kiev forcefully all originated from Russia?
    Kiev has been killing its "own" people in the east. should they not have the right to "defend" themselves too?,,

So are you saying that a country just lies down and lets an externally supported force take over vast tracts of that country without attempting to defend the integrity of that country then?
    July is when EU sanctions are due to expire. when that happens we have a choice. escalate the sanctions at the behest of the Americans or do our own thing.

Again as a European I believe it is in our interest to send a very clear message to Moscow that Sudetenland type aggression has no place in the 21st century the same way it shouldn't have had in the 20th and I certainly believe we should be ramping up sanctions and not relaxing them against a Rogue Regional Power.
    if the EU decides to follow the Americans and escalate I would posit that Putin will cut off all ties to the west be they practical or diplomatic and mobilise his army fully and prepare his population for all out war.

Again I don't believe that will happen.
    when the anglo American Canadian axis finish training the Ukrainian military and right wing sector will they give the green light for an offensive in the east?

Again you are ignoring the fact that the assistance is defensive. I also see you are lumping the whole Ukrainian military in with a minority who are from the right sector. Nice use of the word "axis" btw, very subtle but imho there is only one country that has the potential to launch a "Operation Himmler II" and that is Russia. At least if the Ukrainians have a bolstered military it may leash the Russians when they consider the cost could be higher than they calculated.
    will the Russians roll in and vapourise them? will the Americans stand by and watch.? just some of the question that should and need asking.

If the Russians use Nuclear Weapons then they will be green lighting the use of them against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If the Russians use Nuclear Weapons then they will be green lighting the use of them against Russia.

Y'see; here's the thing that every novorussia "supporter" seems to forget when they chime in with how Russia has nukes. And it's a very important factor to consider:

It is impossible to distinguish between a rocket launch, and an ICBM launch unless notified before-hand (hence why all the space agencies broadcast it well, well, well in advance). If one ICBM launches; they all launch. And by that I mean all. Everywhere.

So, Russia would destroy itself for what? Hitting a target inside a neighbour that they have already effectively stolen land from? Not exactly playing for all the marbles, is it?

Absolutely. Again the only reason I say it is that the majority of your interactions and sources to back them up are from what I would classify as good sources.

the majority of my interactions you wouldnt classify as good sources, huh? what do you mean by that, if I press you on it do you think you can back it up....
    I certainly wouldn't use Ukrainian or Ukrainian Government sites as sources either. The country is at war therefore they are going to be spinning their news for the benefit of their population and with public opinion in the rest of the world in mind.

agreed. just like the Russians the Ukrainians are spinning and telling lies when it suits.
    Just one look at the Sputniknews site and you can see that it is pushing a very definite agenda and some of the stories are fairly crazy, although Pravda's English site takes the biscuit for that. I look at it on occasion if I need a good laugh.

twice now ive admitted I wasnt aware it was Russian government controlled after holding my hand up to the article I linked and saying fair enough pinch of salt perhaps. Ive linked to that site maybe a handful of times. are you going to keep bringing it up or do you think there is something to be gained by continuing to hark on about it.
    I thought he was quite clear. He was talking from an economic standpoint and meant the US and Europe.

but you werent clear were you you just said you agreed with him. he touched on a number of things. elaborate on the economic standpoint then, how its relevant and to what exactly, in your opinion...
    I don't think people have issues with countries standing their ground as you state. However standing their ground would typically mean defending their own sovereign territory. Quite clear
    have gone well beyond this with their actions in the Ukraine. They have violated a neighbouring countries borders and territory.

do you agree that the conflict in Ukraine is a civil war? do the people in the east have the right to defend "their territory" assuming they dont want anything to do with Kiev?..
    But you have to concede that he has a point in his opening statement. 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago I would never have seen a situation where Russia would have carried out the illegal actions it has in the Ukraine over the last year and a half. With that in mind it is perfectly feasible that we should consider that the Baltic States are in danger. Logically you are correct it shouldn't even be considered but logically I would have never considered that Russia would go back in time and adopt a stance of hybrid warfare to destablise and occupy parts of neighbouring countries, yet here we are with precisely that situation.

I disagree. it isnt perfectly feasible that Russia might turn its attention to a Nato country or that the baltic states are in "danger". thats ludicrous. manufactured hysteria from across the atlantic sort of like the Putin is hitler psychosis that was doing the rounds not so long ago. Ukraine isnt and never will be a member of Nato its a different situation. attacking a Nato country would result in a nuclear war. and nobody wins in a nuclear war.
    I think he is refering to the fact that the Russians have done a "crazy ivan" and seem to be reverting to a foreign policy akin to the Soviet times.

and what do you think or do you just agree with him?...
    Again I disagree with you and I think the Ukrainians are allowed to seek help to bolster their army from wherever they want without being dictated to by a country that has violated their borders.

where did I say the Ukrainians arent "allowed" seek help. show me where I said that. youre disagreeing with me over something I didnt state. by all means arm Ukraine and encourage them to go on the rampage against the rebels in the east. if national suicide is the plan thats the way to go about it. only a federal type structure will work. if they choose the war option. its game over for them and perhaps beyond.
    You call the Ukrainians "unhinged and inept" I would say they are under pressure, under resourced and up against a far better armed, better resourced, better trained and in some case professional military from a much larger regional power.

yep unhinged, inept, compromised, hot headed, simpleton real world novices who have made bad decision after bad decision. that said your comments about resources and their foe are true. I still think they are a bunch of phucktards. just my opinion. whats yulia lets nuke Russia up to these days I wonder.
    But the Ukrainians ultimately should be allow make decisions on what organisations they can and can't join. Russia in its aggressive actions would by my reckoning be the biggest cheerleader to encourage the Ukraine to join Nato.

I agree. and I dont have a problem with that. but you see the Russians do and thats the problem. that would be the "reality" you talk about quite a lot. Germany and France will always block Ukrainian Nato membership. its cool they got that in hand.
    The "leaders" who started to say they didn't want anything to do with Kiev forcefully all originated from Russia?

what about the ordinary people in the east do they get a say?...
    So are you saying that a country just lies down and lets an externally supported force take over vast tracts of that country without attempting to defend the integrity of that country then?

Im saying from a Ukrainian point of view there is no military solution...what are you saying?....
    Again as a European I believe it is in our interest to send a very clear message to Moscow that Sudetenland type aggression has no place in the 21st century the same way it shouldn't have had in the 20th and I certainly believe we should be ramping up sanctions and not relaxing them against a Rogue Regional Power.

you say again a lot as if youre constantly repeating yourself. ramping up sanctions how?? sanctions are a defacto declaration of war and you want to what ramp them up? how so...

Again I don't believe that will happen.

thats nice.

you are ignoring the fact that the assistance is defensive. I also see you are lumping the whole Ukrainian military in with a minority who are from the right sector. Nice use of the word "axis" btw, very subtle but imho there is only one country that has the potential to launch a "Operation AgainHimmler II" and that is Russia. At least if the Ukrainians have a bolstered military it may leash the Russians when they consider the cost could be higher than they calculated.

it doesnt matter if you believe the weapons are "defensive". I believe the Ukrainians are dumb enough to go on the rampage thats the problem I have with arming them. the right sector activities are now being coordinated with the Ukrainian military. or are you choosing to willfully ignore as it suits your agenda. nice use of the word axis??. why thank you;)

and its light out for one and all isnt it. but it could never happen right.

Lemming wrote: »
    Y'see; here's the thing that every novorussia "supporter" seems to forget when they chime in with how Russia has nukes. And it's a very important factor to consider:

It is impossible to distinguish between a rocket launch, and an ICBM launch unless notified before-hand (hence why all the space agencies broadcast it well, well, well in advance). If one ICBM launches; they all launch. And by that I mean all. Everywhere.

So, Russia would destroy itself for what? Hitting a target inside a neighbour that they have already effectively stolen land from? Not exactly playing for all the marbles, is it?

:rolleyes::D;)

the majority of my interactions you wouldnt classify as good sources, huh? what do you mean by that, if I press you on it do you think you can back it up....

I was saying that normally you're interactions are coherent and if you use links to back up what you say then the majority are from recognised sources which is why I found it strange you used Sputniknews. I was being nice!!!

I'll get back to you on the rest later when I have a few minutes to spare.

I was saying that normally you're interactions are coherent and if you use links to back up what you say then the majority are from recognised sources which is why I found it strange you used Sputniknews. I was being nice!!!

I'll get back to you on the rest later when I have a few minutes to spare.

my apologies Gandalf you are correct that was my bad not yours. not sure what happened there :confused: apologies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

new thread, old troll

There is no civil war in Ukraine and I'd guess there isnt a majority who want away from Kiev .

The facts .

Russian gangster so called president goes against the populations wishes to be European and free instead he decided were Russian and staying that way.
    In between he's stolen billions upon billions from the Ukrainian people again my guess syphoned off to mother Russia .

There was never any unrest in Ukraine to give history to a civil war .
    unless you consider how a minority section of the population maintained the majority to constantly stay in power .but we all know why
    The people in eastern Ukraine aren't doing a lot of fighting we know it's mainly Russian forces and heavy equipment doing most of the fighting and taking land illegally.
    But here we are the Ukrainians are idiots Ukrainians are all neo nazi's .
    America is bad America caused all of this .
    Anglo American Canadian war mongers it's all the same around and around posts that got the last thread locked .

Russia invaded Ukraine plain and simple not the EU not Nato and certainly not Canada and the UK .

But why let facts get in the way

Icepick wrote: »
    new thread, old troll

welcome back;) build a bridge will you :D
    There is no civil war in Ukraine and I'd guess there isnt a majority who want away from Kiev .

The facts .

Russian gangster so called president goes against the populations wishes to be European and free instead he decided were Russian and staying that way.
    In between he's stolen billions upon billions from the Ukrainian people again my guess syphoned off to mother Russia .

There was never any unrest in Ukraine to give history to a civil war .
    unless you consider how a minority section of the population maintained the majority to constantly stay in power .but we all know why
    The people in eastern Ukraine aren't doing a lot of fighting we know it's mainly Russian forces and heavy equipment doing most of the fighting and taking land illegally.
    But here we are the Ukrainians are idiots Ukrainians are all neo nazi's .
    America is bad America caused all of this .
    Anglo American Canadian war mongers it's all the same around and around posts that got the last thread locked .

Russia invaded Ukraine plain and simple not the EU not Nato and certainly not Canada and the UK .

But why let facts get in the way

there was plenty of unrest . according to the red cross unless they changed their assessment it is a civil war. who said the EU NATO Canada or the UK invaded Ukraine where are you getting that from. if it isnt a civil war then what is it then. the leadership in Kiev in my opinion are idiots thats my opinion nothing personal so it really shouldnt bother you so much that I think that. and they propelled one of the leaders of the far right to an advisory roll of the Ukrainian military and right sector operations will now be coordinated together with the military. this was announced and broadcast by the Ukrainians themselves their ministry of defence. there is only one solution to this and that is some sort of federal structure being put in place its the only option there is no military answer from a Kiev point of view. the fact they dont seem to realise this or are ignoring it or arent making moves to try and bring this about which will in turn ensure or at least give a chance to the country remaining "united" is just another indication to me that they are, well , idiots. some sort of diplomatic way out of this needs to be found and it needs to be found soon. this article was published March 31st.
    Ukraine's Bloody Civil War: No End in Sight

After spending several days in and around Donetsk last week, I found it hard to escape the conclusion that the second Minsk ceasefire is rapidly unraveling. Nearly continuous artillery shelling and machine-gun fire could be heard for the better part of Thursday morning in the city’s Oktyabrskaya neighborhood, not far from the airport, where fighting is said to have continued without surcease.

The OSCE reported that the main railway station in the city was shelled on March 25, and a visit to it the day after showed that to be so. Rebel tanks could be seen participating in exercises on the rural outskirts of Donetsk on the 26th. The sound of sporadic artillery fire could be heard in the city’s centrally located Leninsky District well into the early hours of the 27th.

The mood among many in Donetsk—noncombatants as well as rebel fighters who comprise what is known as the Army of Novorossiya—indicates little interest in a rapprochement with Kiev. This is, given the conditions of the city after nearly a full year of war, rather understandable. Many bitterly complain of Kiev’s chosen moniker for the military campaign it is waging against the separatist fighters, the “Anti-Terrorist Operation.” Ordinary citizens and combatants alike view it as an attempt to dehumanize them as a whole by grouping the entire population of the region in with likes of ISIS.

Yet it seems that the Washington establishment's (though, interestingly, it seems not the president's) preferred policy choice is to send lethal aid to Kiev because it is believed, no doubt sincerely, that a supply of javelin anti-tank missiles will somehow increase the number of Russian fatalities to such an extent that public opinion would turn against Putin—thereby forcing him to back down.

This is nothing more than a fantasy dressed up as a strategy because it attributes little to no agency on the part of the rebel fighters or, for that matter, the area’s noncombatants. The simple, undeniable fact is that even if Russia was to be persuaded—via sanctions or via a significant uptick in military casualties—to wash its hands of the region, there is almost no chance that the indigenous military forces in the region would simply melt away. What is continuing to unfold in the Donbass—despite repeated protestations from Kiev’s representatives in Washington—is a civil war between two groups with diametrically opposed visions for the future of their country. It is a civil war that also—given that each side has enormously powerful supporters—poses a genuinely grave risk to global security.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/ukraines-bloody-civil-war-no-end-sight-12509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Nice to see the Americans leading the way, as always when there is trouble in Europe.

but you werent clear were you you just said you agreed with him. he touched on a number of things. elaborate on the economic standpoint then, how its relevant and to what exactly, in your opinion...

I think you are aware that I have always maintained that this crisis is going to be solved by economic means and not military. What he means is that Russia economically is a minnow compared to the combined economic power of the US and the EU.

Put simply Russia needs us more than we need them economically.
    do you agree that the conflict in Ukraine is a civil war? do the people in the east have the right to defend "their territory" assuming they dont want anything to do with Kiev?..

No I don't. It is hybrid warfare carried out by Russia to destablise a neighbouring country for their own internal reasons, ie they do not want the Ukraine getting involved with the EU.
    I disagree. it isnt perfectly feasible that Russia might turn its attention to a Nato country or that the baltic states are in "danger". thats ludicrous. manufactured hysteria from across the atlantic sort of like the Putin is hitler psychosis that was doing the rounds not so long ago. Ukraine isnt and never will be a member of Nato its a different situation. attacking a Nato country would result in a nuclear war. and nobody wins in a nuclear war.

Again before the interference in the Ukraine by Russia I would have said the same thing but yet here we are. That is not manufactured in Washington, that recipe was concocted in the Kremlin. Again my opinion is quite clear if you let a bully get away with the kind of actions that the Russians have sponsored and perpetrated against the Ukraine then they will be emboldened and it is quite possible that they will overstep the mark.
    and what do you think or do you just agree with him?...

Absolutely imho Russia have regressed politically, economically, socially and morally under Putin's regime.
    where did I say the Ukrainians arent "allowed" seek help. show me where I said that. youre disagreeing with me over something I didnt state. by all means arm Ukraine and encourage them to go on the rampage against the rebels in the east. if national suicide is the plan thats the way to go about it. only a federal type structure will work. if they choose the war option. its game over for them and perhaps beyond.

Well the impression you give is Russia can dictate with who and what the Ukraine can choose to join and associate with. If that is not the case then I apologise.

It is you belief that the Ukrainians would go on the offensive, I don't believe that myself and unless the US are providing them with specific heavy offensive weaponry they would be crazy to do so.
    yep unhinged, inept, compromised, hot headed, simpleton real world novices who have made bad decision after bad decision. that said your comments about resources and their foe are true. I still think they are a bunch of phucktards. just my opinion. whats yulia lets nuke Russia up to these days I wonder.

Now look at some of the trash in the Russian parliament and then look for quotes where sitting Russian MP's, Russian commentators with close links to the Kremlin have all come out with statements about Nuclear Armageddon.

I would also counter that the government in Russia are deluded and have seriously miscalculated their tactics with the Ukraine and have placed their economy in serious danger of default with their actions. They certainly have made the lives of a large number of ordinary Russians far more miserable with their misadventures in Novarussia.
    I agree. and I dont have a problem with that. but you see the Russians do and thats the problem. that would be the "reality" you talk about quite a lot. Germany and France will always block Ukrainian Nato membership. its cool they got that in hand.

Again you are effectively giving Russia a veto on what happens in a different country. Sorry I thought the Soviet Union was defunct.

Of course they can have a say, once the foreign backed militia have left Ukrainian soil.
    Im saying from a Ukrainian point of view there is no military solution...what are you saying?....

I agree with you. Give the Ukraines weapons to stop the "Rebels" encroaching further into their territory and continue the pressure on the Russians with sanctions.
    you say again a lot as if youre constantly repeating yourself. ramping up sanctions how?? sanctions are a defacto declaration of war and you want to what ramp them up? how so...

Financially drop the Russian banks from the Swift bank clearance system would be a good start.

it doesnt matter if you believe the weapons are "defensive". I believe the Ukrainians are dumb enough to go on the rampage thats the problem I have with arming them. the right sector activities are now being coordinated with the Ukrainian military. or are you choosing to willfully ignore as it suits your agenda. nice use of the word axis??. why thank you;)

According to the wikipedia (sorry don't have time to search elsewhere) the Ukrainian armed forces have a standing number of 250,800 troops, Right Sector have a membership of 10,000 people, they have 1 member out of 450 in the Ukrainian parliament. They say they have 5,000 members who can fight. If they even provide that number you are talking about less than 2% of the Ukrainian armed forces made up of this inflated number of Right Sector bogeymen, just over 0.2% makes up their presence in the Parliament . Lets be honest the so called far right problem in the Ukraine is political vapour ware thought up by Moscow.

Russia has a far bigger problem with far right groups, especially as some are actively supported by the Kremlin.
    and its light out for one and all isnt it. but it could never happen right.

Forgive me if I am misrepresenting you but I have a feeling that because Russia have Nukes you think that the rule of International law shouldn't or doesn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Again my opinion is quite clear if you let a bully get away with the kind of actions that the Russians have sponsored and perpetrated against the Ukraine then they will be emboldened and it is quite possible that they will overstep the mark.

I've said it before elsewhere, so I'll point it out here now. The current novorussia misadventure into the Ukraine IS the result of the international community not having stood up to the Russians in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:rolleyes::D;)

Mod:

Smilie type posts are frowned on in the main politics board threads. The politics cafe is there to facilitate a more relaxed posting style if needs be.

new thread, old troll

Enough of this thank you, the thread is getting on relatively civilly and remarks like that do nobody any favours. Just friendly advice to avoid me issuing cards or bans!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Well if you mean 20,000 US, Canadian, British and Baltic military troops suddenly appearing in Ukraine I would think they wouldnt even get that far. and if they did the Russians would view it as a direct threat to their existence then vapourise them. I dont think it would even get that far it would be a crazy course of action. . As for Yanukovic and his crew looting money Im sure he did how much and where it is thats a question I dont know the answer too.

Russian volunteers operating in Ukraine, fighting with pro-Russian factions is fine. Western volunteers operating in Ukraine, fighting with pro-Ukrainian factions is illegitimate and grounds to "vaporize" (I assume that's the word you meant to use) them?
    Vlad would maybe send Barry a selfie of his finger and the button with a short message saying if you send your troops to Ukraine the button gets it. something like that

Russia stated Danish warships would be nuclear targets. The Danish still bought them :/

And yes, that's exactly what the Russians want. Threatening nuclear war against 500 million people on their doorstep and 350 million to their east. If a single nuke hit French forces, for example, the French would level civilians (that's why the Soviet plan was to nuke Venice or the Low Countries rather than direct strikes on the UK or France should war have broken out).

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:
    Ukraine defending themselves. they are dumb enough to go on the offensive. training them is just the beginning and then if arms are supplied and they go on the rampage. they will be committing national suicide the Russians wont have that and they will roll in. be careful what you wish for.

"Slippery slope" is a logical fallacy.

Nobody, not even the Ukrainians, seriously think they're going to take back Crimea anyway. However, Donetsk and Luhansk are both within Ukrainian sovereign territory. They can, and should, be given the weapons to fight an aggressive war to secure their control over those regions.

Nice to see the Americans leading the way, as always when there is trouble in Europe.

To be fair, the last time the Americans kept their noses out of Europe's foreign policies, we kinda started two wars that killed a total of 55-150 million people around the world :/

If this is breaking any topic rules, apologies. Our posts were deleted before I could actually tackle your "Russia is a energy power" before. Hopefully the mods don't delete this post, since it tackles Russia's actual position in this conflict and dictates how soon it could end.

If I recall, you said something about Russia's (incl. pro-Russian factions) uranium resources being 40% of the world's market, and that Russia dominates the resource stockpiles. This is, unfortunately, untrue. They have have provided 40% of the US' uranium, but not the worlds. In fact, Australia dominates the markets with around 30% of the uranium reserves. Canada is third (and actually has larger market share and production than Russia) at 9% of the world reserves. Russia and Kazakhstan, the two main pro-Russian groups, don't even meet the same quantity of reserves as Australia.

Granted, Russia and Canada have vast areas of unexplored space which could hold uranium deposits of profitable value, but we can't make any estimate as to how much there could be. Even so, it is unlikely to put Russia in first place with an overwhelming market share.

Two armed groups with differing political goals within one state. That's civil war, no? They do have a right to defend their territory. Through political means, not armed insurgency. It would be like Donegal starting a military campaign against Dublin because they want to be part of the UK. Do you think we'd just sit on our hands and let them?

Donetsk and Luhansk are part of the Ukrainian State. They seemed perfectly fine when it was a pro-Russian majority in power. Now it is pro-European, and they refuse to engage in democracy.

Undermining the existence of the Ukrainian Government is, quite essentially, treason.

If I recall correctly, there was a leaked Kremlin document stating that Russia could do in the eastern Baltics what they have done in Ukraine (viz: - arm ethnic Russian groups to fight the Governments). I can't find a link to it, unfortunately.

It is feasible that Russia may strike the Baltics. Rather unlikely, but entirely possible. Think about it, MAD only occurs when both sides are willing to use nuclear retaliation. However, if the Russians declare that any other country fights against them, they will use nuclear retaliation, do you think NATO will get involved in the Baltics? Unless the Russians actually do fire a nuclear weapon, it should largely remain conventional, I would presume. Russia also has the "stop at the border or we will use a nuke" card, which I don't think NATO would push.

You are quite clearly against the West arming Ukraine. You keep saying it's national suicide, implying that Russia will come stomping in to cut their heads off an in overt war.

Russia crushed the Chechen separatists incredibly brutally (Grozny), and told the world to keep their noses out of it. How then can the Russians tell the Ukrainians to keep their noses out of eastern Ukraine against separatists?

Bad decision? The Russians charge you exorbitant fees on your gas. The Russians cut your economy to shreds through barriers to trade. The Russians cut your gas off in winter. The pro-Russian President who allowed this to happen has stolen €100bn from your economy over the years. The Russians annex part of your country and then arm another part to fight you when you get rid of that President. The Russians threaten overt war if you join the EU or NATO.

Yeah, the Ukrainians are unhinged and hot headed simpletons. The Ukrainians are the ones at fault here for making "bad decisions". The Ukrainians are the ones at fault for wanting to be something other than starved out puppets.

But you don't agree, you're defending Russia's actions. To say "I agree" while siding with the people stopping them is absolutely and unequivocally disingenuous.

No. When it's at the barrel of a gun and you shoot down civilian airlines, you don't get a say. If they wanted to settle the matter peacefully, they'd do so at the negotiating table.

Hell, if the Russians really cared about "ethnic Russians" they'd invade Ukraine, the Baltics, Finland, Belarus and do what they did in Crimea. Declare "this is ours and anyone who says otherwise gets nuked".

This isn't some humanitarian effort on the part of Russia. It is them starting a conflict to grind the Ukrainian economy into dust, so Ukraine will have no option other than to lie down and let the Bear have its way.

Of course there is. Drive up the cost of war for the opposing side. War only continues so long as the cost of continuing is less than the cost of surrendering. Ukraine, given the proper training and equipment, could begin a meatgrinder with the Russians.

The Ukrainian economy might be shuddering, but the Russians are in a death-grip thanks to oil prices and the EU/US sanctions.

So long as those sanctions stay up, and the Ukrainians keep applying pressure, the Russians will have to crack. It's only a matter of finding the breaking point.

Sanctions are not a declaration of war. If they were then Russia's sanction on Ukrainian dairy product would've been given more media time.

It's easy. We pay a little more for our gas and get it from the Middle East, or Canada (the EU has nine months supply of gas, the UK/Ireland/Norway wouldn't even feel the pinch since we don't buy Russian oil/gas). I do believe we're actually working on a pipeline at the moment, as well.

Of course it does. Giving them weapons isn't going to make their army capable of invading Russia, but it will make it possible for them to crush the rebel groups. The same ones who hide among civilians, and the same ones who shot down Dutch civilians.

I think you are aware that I have always maintained that this crisis is going to be solved by economic means and not military. What he means is that Russia economically is a minnow compared to the combined economic power of the US and the EU.

Put simply Russia needs us more than we need them economically.

yeah but how is it going to be solved by economic means what is the goal?? to return Crimea and uproot the rebels from the Donbass region and east?.. neither of those things are going to happen. whether I agree with that or not. The Russians will not return Crimea and the rebels want nothing to do with Kiev. and if looks likely that the rebels will be routed Russia will roll in enforce. the only solution I can see to this that will leave Ukraine "intact" is some sort of federal structure.
    EU dependent on Russian gas for 'foreseeable future', warns IEA

The European Union will remain dependent on Russian pipeline gas imports for the “foreseeable future”, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has warned.

As domestic fossil fuel production continues to decline fast, especially in Denmark and the Netherlands, gas imports are expected to increase between 2020 and 2030, according to the IEA’s 2014 review of EU energy policy.

Liquefied natural gas imports to the EU, vital to diversify supply, hit a record low in 2014, half of 2010 levels. Supplies are being re-exported to Asia, leaving the EU with about 70% of spare capacity, the IEA said. US LNG supplies for the medium term had already been sold to Asian markets, which had pushed up import prices.

Unconventional gas, such as shale, could bolster energy security but faced strong political resistance from some member states.

“The EU is set to be dependent on Russian gas for some time and that’s the reality,” the IEA’s executive director Maria van der Hoeven told the European Commission in Brussels today (1 December).

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/energy/eu-dependent-russian-gas-foreseeable-future-warns-iea-310469
    No I don't. It is hybrid warfare carried out by Russia to destablise a neighbouring country for their own internal reasons, ie they do not want the Ukraine getting involved with the EU.

but its widely accepted is it not that it is indeed a civil war? or is that incorrect.
    Again before the interference in the Ukraine by Russia I would have said the same thing but yet here we are. That is not manufactured in Washington, that recipe was concocted in the Kremlin. Again my opinion is quite clear if you let a bully get away with the kind of actions that the Russians have sponsored and perpetrated against the Ukraine then they will be emboldened and it is quite possible that they will overstep the mark.

overstep the mark how?...
    Well the impression you give is Russia can dictate with who and what the Ukraine can choose to join and associate with. If that is not the case then I apologise.

clearly its the Russians that are giving this impression and carrying it out. not me. Im just calling it as I see it.
    It is you belief that the Ukrainians would go on the offensive, I don't believe that myself and unless the US are providing them with specific heavy offensive weaponry they would be crazy to do so.

without Crimea and the Donbass region Ukraine isnt up to much. so if they arent prepared to talk and put some sort of federal structure into place then they must have an alternative plan. I believe they are stupid enough to go on the offensive and sooner or later I think they will. and it isnt going to end well for them.
    Now look at some of the trash in the Russian parliament and then look for quotes where sitting Russian MP's, Russian commentators with close links to the Kremlin have all come out with statements about Nuclear Armageddon.

yep they have and they arent diking around they are serious.
    I would also counter that the government in Russia are deluded and have seriously miscalculated their tactics with the Ukraine and have placed their economy in serious danger of default with their actions. They certainly have made the lives of a large number of ordinary Russians far more miserable with their misadventures in Novarussia.

I would disagree. I dont think they are deluded.
    Again you are effectively giving Russia a veto on what happens in a different country. Sorry I thought the Soviet Union was defunct.

Im not giving Russia a veto on anything. I dont have a problem with Ukraine wanting to gravitate to the west Nato whatever. but you see the Russians have a problem with that. not me.
    Of course they can have a say, once the foreign backed militia have left Ukrainian soil.

the militia isnt going to leave. the cold hard reality of the situation Im afraid.
    I agree with you. Give the Ukraines weapons to stop the "Rebels" encroaching further into their territory and continue the pressure on the Russians with sanctions.

sanctions will not make the Russians back down they are in too deep now. Arm Ukraine and they will go on the offensive. like I said before becareful what you wish for.
    Financially drop the Russian banks from the Swift bank clearance system would be a good start.

thats about the worst thing to do. this happens. its war.
    According to the wikipedia (sorry don't have time to search elsewhere) the Ukrainian armed forces have a standing number of 250,800 troops, Right Sector have a membership of 10,000 people, they have 1 member out of 450 in the Ukrainian parliament. They say they have 5,000 members who can fight. If they even provide that number you are talking about less than 2% of the Ukrainian armed forces made up of this inflated number of Right Sector bogeymen, just over 0.2% makes up their presence in the Parliament . Lets be honest the so called far right problem in the Ukraine is political vapour ware thought up by Moscow.

Russia has a far bigger problem with far right groups, especially as some are actively supported by the Kremlin.

clearly there is a far right sector in Ukraine and its active.
    Forgive me if I am misrepresenting you but I have a feeling that because Russia have Nukes you think that the rule of International law shouldn't or doesn't apply to them.

International law whilst I agree it should be respected the big boys ( nuclear powers) pick and choose when and if to do so. not sure where you getting me not feeling it should apply to them from Ive never stated as much. I would prefer if the Russians pulled out Ukraine was allowed do what they want and everyone lives happily ever after. unfortunately this isnt going to happen and it isnt the reality of the situation. Ukraines only hope of staying together is some sort of federal structure being put in place. thats it.

Russian volunteers operating in Ukraine, fighting with pro-Russian factions is fine. Western volunteers operating in Ukraine, fighting with pro-Ukrainian factions is illegitimate and grounds to "vaporize" (I assume that's the word you meant to use) them?

and where did I say this was illegitimate? I was talking to somebody else not you read back and youll see the question that was put to me. If by western volunteers you mean troops as I pointed out already think it was to Gatling yep Russia would light them up as soon as they touched down on Ukrainian soil. and thats if they even got that far. this is just my opinion of course.
    Russia stated Danish warships would be nuclear targets. The Danish still bought them :/

And yes, that's exactly what the Russians want. Threatening nuclear war against 500 million people on their doorstep and 350 million to their east. If a single nuke hit French forces, for example, the French would level civilians (that's why the Soviet plan was to nuke Venice or the Low Countries rather than direct strikes on the UK or France should war have broken out).

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Russia threatened Denmark with nuclear weapons if the country signed up to the nato defence shield. Nato is directed toward Russia if Denmark wants to play with the big boys then they need to accept the potential consequences. not saying its right. just how it is.
    Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield

Russia has threatened to target Denmark’s warships with nuclear weapons if the Scandinavian nation becomes a member of Nato’s missile defence shield.

In comments which have been met with anger in Copenhagen, the Russian ambassador to Denmark said a move towards better integration with the Western alliance would make it a “threat to Russia”, and that it would have to accept the consequences.

Mikhail Vanin told the told Jyllands-Posten newspaper: “I do not think that the Danes fully understand the consequences if Denmark joins the US-led missile defence shield. If that happens, Danish warships become targets for Russian nuclear missiles.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-threatens-denmark-with-nuclear-weapons-if-it-tries-to-join-nato-defence-shield-10125529.html
    "Slippery slope" is a logical fallacy.

Nobody, not even the Ukrainians, seriously think they're going to take back Crimea anyway. However, Donetsk and Luhansk are both within Ukrainian sovereign territory. They can, and should, be given the weapons to fight an aggressive war to secure their control over those regions.

I disagree no they shouldnt. the Germans and French are of the same opinion, thankfully.
    If this is breaking any topic rules, apologies. Our posts were deleted before I could actually tackle your "Russia is a energy power" before. Hopefully the mods don't delete this post, since it tackles Russia's actual position in this conflict and dictates how soon it could end.

If I recall, you said something about Russia's (incl. pro-Russian factions) uranium resources being 40% of the world's market, and that Russia dominates the resource stockpiles. This is, unfortunately, untrue. They have have provided 40% of the US' uranium, but not the worlds. In fact, Australia dominates the markets with around 30% of the uranium reserves. Canada is third (and actually has larger market share and production than Russia) at 9% of the world reserves. Russia and Kazakhstan, the two main pro-Russian groups, don't even meet the same quantity of reserves as Australia.

Granted, Russia and Canada have vast areas of unexplored space which could hold uranium deposits of profitable value, but we can't make any estimate as to how much there could be. Even so, it is unlikely to put Russia in first place with an overwhelming market share.

Ok you are getting yourself mixed up here and youve "recalled" incorrectly. what I said was Russia controls 40% of the worlds enrichment capacity do you know what youre talking about. Im not sure you do.
    Who Is Dominating the Uranium Market?

This is one part of Vladimir Putin’s plan to dominate the world energy markets. In my book, The Colder War, I call it the “Putinization” of uranium. And he has nicely positioned his country to pull it off.

In January 2014, Sergei Kiriyenko, head of Russian energy giant Rosatom, was bursting with enthusiasm when he predicted that Russia’s recent annual production rate of 6.5 million pounds of uranium would triple in 2015.
    Rosatom puts Russia’s uranium reserves in the ground at 1.2 billion pounds of yellowcake, which would be the second largest in the world; the company is quite capable of mining 40 million pounds per year by 2020. Add in Russia’s foreign projects in Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Mongolia, and annual production in 2020 jumps to more than 63 million pounds. Include all of Russia’s sphere of influence, and annual production easily could amount to more than 140 million pounds six years from now.
    No other country has a uranium mining plan nearly this ambitious. By 2020, Russia itself could be producing a third of all yellowcake. With just its close ally Kazakhstan chipping in another 25%, Russia would have effective control of more than half of world supply.

That’s clout. But it doesn’t end there.
    Globally, there are a fair number of facilities for fabricating fuel rods. Not so with conversion plants (uranium oxide to uranium hexafluoride) or enrichment plants (isolating the U-235). And the world leader in conversion and enrichment is… yes, Russia.

All told, Russia has one-third of all uranium conversion capacity. The United States is in second place with 18%. And Russia’s share is projected to rise, assuming Rosatom proceeds with a new conversion plant planned for 2015. Similarly, Russia owns 40% of the world’s enrichment capacity. Planned expansion of the existing facilities will push that share close to 50%.

http://www.equities.com/editors-desk/stocks/energy/who-is-dominating-the-uranium-market
    Two armed groups with differing political goals within one state. That's civil war, no? They do have a right to defend their territory. Through political means, not armed insurgency. It would be like Donegal starting a military campaign against Dublin because they want to be part of the UK. Do you think we'd just sit on our hands and let them?

so only side in a civil war has the right to fight and defend themselves. fair enough
    Donetsk and Luhansk are part of the Ukrainian State. They seemed perfectly fine when it was a pro-Russian majority in power. Now it is pro-European, and they refuse to engage in democracy.

Undermining the existence of the Ukrainian Government is, quite essentially, treason.

yep it is treason. but the rebels are there too stay. just how it is.
    If I recall correctly, there was a leaked Kremlin document stating that Russia could do in the eastern Baltics what they have done in Ukraine (viz: - arm ethnic Russian groups to fight the Governments). I can't find a link to it, unfortunately.

your previous recollection was incorrect and wrong. so forgive me if I view this other above statement of yours with some scepticisim. though Im willing to take that back if you can come up with that link. link please....
    It is feasible that Russia may strike the Baltics. Rather unlikely, but entirely possible. Think about it, MAD only occurs when both sides are willing to use nuclear retaliation. However, if the Russians declare that any other country fights against them, they will use nuclear retaliation, do you think NATO will get involved in the Baltics? Unless the Russians actually do fire a nuclear weapon, it should largely remain conventional, I would presume. Russia also has the "stop at the border or we will use a nuke" card, which I don't think NATO would push.

it isnt feasible that Russia would strike a Nato country thats ridiculous and would result in a nuclear war. lets just dispel this myth that any confrontation with Russia would remain conventional. it wouldnt. first engagement would be "conventional" soon followed by the use of theater ballistic missiles and after that the ICBMS start flying.
    You are quite clearly against the West arming Ukraine. You keep saying it's national suicide, implying that Russia will come stomping in to cut their heads off an in overt war.

yep I am. and so are the Germans and French. Russia will not let the rebels fall if it looks like happening or lots of Russian start getting dead at the hands of western supplied weapons they will roll in and all the way to Kiev.
    Russia crushed the Chechen separatists incredibly brutally (Grozny), and told the world to keep their noses out of it. How then can the Russians tell the Ukrainians to keep their noses out of eastern Ukraine against separatists?

why are you asking me that?..
    Bad decision? The Russians charge you exorbitant fees on your gas. The Russians cut your economy to shreds through barriers to trade. The Russians cut your gas off in winter. The pro-Russian President who allowed this to happen has stolen €100bn from your economy over the years. The Russians annex part of your country and then arm another part to fight you when you get rid of that President. The Russians threaten overt war if you join the EU or NATO.

Yeah, the Ukrainians are unhinged and hot headed simpletons. The Ukrainians are the ones at fault here for making "bad decisions". The Ukrainians are the ones at fault for wanting to be something other than starved out puppets.

yes bad decisions. one after the other after the other.
    But you don't agree, you're defending Russia's actions. To say "I agree" while siding with the people stopping them is absolutely and unequivocally disingenuous.

In your opinion. my opinion however would be different..
    No. When it's at the barrel of a gun and you shoot down civilian airlines, you don't get a say. If they wanted to settle the matter peacefully, they'd do so at the negotiating table.

who doesnt get a say what are you getting at here....
    Hell, if the Russians really cared about "ethnic Russians" they'd invade Ukraine, the Baltics, Finland, Belarus and do what they did in Crimea. Declare "this is ours and anyone who says otherwise gets nuked".

I dont believe they care to much about ethnic Russians either this is a cover for what they are doing. that much is obvious.
    This isn't some humanitarian effort on the part of Russia. It is them starting a conflict to grind the Ukrainian economy into dust, so Ukraine will have no option other than to lie down and let the Bear have its way.

and Ive never stated as much. not sure why you are saying that to me.
    Of course there is. Drive up the cost of war for the opposing side. War only continues so long as the cost of continuing is less than the cost of surrendering. Ukraine, given the proper training and equipment, could begin a meatgrinder with the Russians.

no there isnt. there is no military solution to this, clearly,
    The Ukrainian economy might be shuddering, but the Russians are in a death-grip thanks to oil prices and the EU/US sanctions.

shuddering? :D lol you dont say. death grip thats interesting.
    So long as those sanctions stay up, and the Ukrainians keep applying pressure, the Russians will have to crack. It's only a matter of finding the breaking point.

so you want to break Russia. and you think the Russians are just going to be ok with this happening.
    Sanctions are not a declaration of war. If they were then Russia's sanction on Ukrainian dairy product would've been given more media time.

yes they are.
    It's easy. We pay a little more for our gas and get it from the Middle East, or Canada (the EU has nine months supply of gas, the UK/Ireland/Norway wouldn't even feel the pinch since we don't buy Russian oil/gas). I do believe we're actually working on a pipeline at the moment, as well.

judging by the above. you havent a clue what youre talking about.
    Of course it does. Giving them weapons isn't going to make their army capable of invading Russia, but it will make it possible for them to crush the rebel groups. The same ones who hide among civilians, and the same ones who shot down Dutch civilians.

and thats exactly why those simpletons in Kiev can not be given weapons:rolleyes: thankfully the Germans and French will push back against this and have their heads screwed on and realise it will only make a bad siution a million times worse.

• Advertisement

and where did I say this was illegitimate? I was talking to somebody else not you read back and youll see the question that was put to me. If by western volunteers you mean troops as I pointed out already think it was to Gatling yep Russia would light them up as soon as they touched down on Ukrainian soil. and thats if they even got that far. this is just my opinion of course.

If Western "volunteers" with Western weapons come flooding Ukraine, you really think the Russians are going to "light them up" and that'd be the end of it? Forgive me if I'm sceptical about Russia's soldiering abilities compared to Western ones, considering their last major engagements (Chechnya, Dagestan and Georgia) were all colossal feck ups.
    Russia threatened Denmark with nuclear weapons if the country signed up to the nato defence shield. Nato is directed toward Russia if Denmark wants to play with the big boys then they need to accept the potential consequences. not saying its right. just how it is.

That in no way detracts from my point. They said they'd nuke Danish warships, the pretext is irrelevant. It was Russia trying to scare the Danes into doing what they want.

Of course NATO is directed at Russia. Russia was the de facto leader of the Soviet Union, the people NATO was designed to counter.
    I disagree no they shouldnt. the Germans and French are of the same opinion, thankfully.

Why do you disagree with arming them? It's hardly the inevitable casualties, since the longer this war drags on, the higher the body count will be.
    Ok you are getting yourself mixed up here and youve "recalled" incorrectly. what I said was Russia controls 40% of the worlds enrichment capacity do you know what youre talking about. Im not sure you do.

I had thought you were talking about production and reserves, an unfortunate mix up.
    so only side in a civil war has the right to fight and defend themselves. fair enough

Of course not. But you're implying Russia giving weapons to the rebels is fine, but us giving the Ukrainians weapons is a grave mistake. Ukraine's armouries and small-arms are poor quality.

your previous recollection was incorrect and wrong. so forgive me if I view this other above statement of yours with some scepticisim. though Im willing to take that back if you can come up with that link. link please....

I can't find the article I read, but here's one from the UK and one from Sweden which both allude to Russia attempting to employ the same tactics they used in Ukraine. To stoke the ethnic Russians up.
    it isnt feasible that Russia would strike a Nato country thats ridiculous and would result in a nuclear war. lets just dispel this myth that any confrontation with Russia would remain conventional. it wouldnt. first engagement would be "conventional" soon followed by the use of theater ballistic missiles and after that the ICBMS start flying.

I know exactly how nuclear strategy works. I know exactly how nuclear deterrence and MAD works. And MAD only works if both sides know it's suicide. However, if both sides understand that, and one side uses a single nuke, it might not incur a direct response from the other party for fear of MAD. It's like calling a bluff in poker.

Like I said, it is unlikely, but it is entirely possible that Russia could attack the Baltics.

I've also not said it would remain conventional. I told you that the Russian strategy relies upon the use of tactical nukes, and why they had planned to target the Low Countries and Venice with them while rushing the Fulda Gap, because they knew France has a "soft-to-hard" stance (namely, if Russia targeted their military or civilian infrastructure, France would target civilian populated areas).
    yep I am. and so are the Germans and French. Russia will not let the rebels fall if it looks like happening or lots of Russian start getting dead at the hands of western supplied weapons they will roll in and all the way to Kiev.

Yeah, Russia "rolling into Kiev" is going to work out perfectly fine for them. Especially when Poland and the Baltics surround Kaliningrad and could cut off any access to the Russian mainland. And when Poland sits right at the door to Ukraine, and would probably funnel thousands of weapons across the border.

If there's one thing you're underestimating here, it's that the Polish aren't as timid as the French or Germans, and the Polish know that the longer the Russians and Ukrainians are fighting, the better it is for them.
    why are you asking me that?..

You keep saying that arming Ukraine to tackle the rebels is game over for them, and that it's a bad decision to make. How can you not support Ukraine's right to exercise its control over its territory, against a party who did the exact same thing in Chechnya?
    yes bad decisions. one after the other after the other.

Yeah, much better to remain a vassal with the Russian boot on your neck.

who doesnt get a say what are you getting at here...

The "people in the east", the Kremlin-backed rebel groups. They don't get a say in separatism when they're firing at Ukrainian forces, not after they shot down a civilian airliner, bragged about it, realized they fecked up and removed the post before laying the blame on the Ukrainians.

They don't get a say. If they wanted a say, they'd do it democratically. They'd have the world backing them if they did, and Russia would have an actual reason to position troops there.
    I dont believe they care to much about ethnic Russians either this is a cover for what they are doing. that much is obvious.

I agree and so does Stratfor.
    and Ive never stated as much. not sure why you are saying that to me.

Because that is the usual go-to argument for pro-Russian people.
    no there isnt. there is no military solution to this, clearly

There has never been a solely military solution to anything, that point is redundant. However, the military must be used to crush the rebel groups, in conjunction with economic and political measures, both of which are being exercised by the West.
    death grip thats interesting.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)Countries by GDP[/url]

Compare the World Bank (2013) with IMF 2014. Russia's economy contracted by around $150bn, or if you want to compare it to the CIA's factbook, it contracted by around $40bn.

Even with the rouble crashing and people investing in consumer goods creating a flurry of economic activity, the Russian economy still fell in size.
    so you want to break Russia. and you think the Russians are just going to be ok with this happening.

What are they going to do, invade? Cut off our gas?

Europe has nine months of gas and oil stockpiled for emergencies. Ireland, the UK and Norway get our oil from non-Russian sources. We'll ride it out.

The country most affected would be Germany, and if the Germans need something, by god they'll throw everything they have into acquiring it. Canadian oil-rich sands (which was cleared to sell in Europe, I think,), US oil-rich sands, the planned Middle Eastern pipeline. Hell, the US alone was the third largest producer of oil in 2008 when oil was going high (at nearly 9 million barrels a day, with a capacity to refine around 18 million barrels a day).

If it's an emergency, you can bet your bottom dollar, the US and Canada will find it profitable to ship massive quantities to Europe.

Like I said, the price of importing oil and gas would go up.
    yes they are.

So, we're at war with Russia? Strange, I don't see any Russian troops outside my window.
    judging by the above. you havent a clue what youre talking about.

So, the EU doesn't tell countries to store nine months worth of gas? One
    and thats exactly why those simpletons in Kiev can not be given weapons:rolleyes: thankfully the Germans and French will push back against this and have their heads screwed on and realise it will only make a bad siution a million times worse.

What's your answer to the bad situation, let the Russians continue their advance? The Russians aren't going to stop with just Donetsk or Luhansk, they're going to keep pushing until they reach the Dnieper.

And do you think Poland will care about Germany or France's "push back" and not sell the Ukrainians small arms? Poland learned not to trust the French and Germans before, they are committed to driving up the cost of that war for the Russians.

Hell, it was even the Polish who were pushing for an integrated European energy market and it has started to gain traction in the last few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement