Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't it time for school uniforms to be scrapped at this stage???

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Economically, I'd argue they're doing better. They have a far healthier attitude towards childcare and education - i.e. looking after the child;s wellbeing as well as his intellect. Question is, is that what we want to strive for or not?

Perhaps the Green and French are better rable to stand up for themselves because they've been educated to be independent and expressive. Is that a good thing or not? You tell me.

I don't see kids running around naked because their parents can't buy clothing for them.

So if kids come to school not dressed appropriately according to the dress code then what do the school do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I don't know what you did but I don't wear my uniform after school, at weekends or during holidays. It's on for six or seven hours a day.

And you're not shunned by you peers or terrified to wear your own clothes after school?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

katydid wrote: »
    This from someone who doesn't want to think for themselves, and who wants all their school mates to be the same as them... Do you realise that you're a poster girl for the harm uniforms do to the way people think?

Oh come on, dramatic much? People are now being harmed by uniforms? This debate has got ridiculous, unless of course you have evidence of the 'harm' being done by wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

bjork wrote: »
    And you're not shunned by you peers or terrified to wear your own clothes after school?

I associate with friends and family after school, not a student body of 600+ people who have nothing to judge me on but image.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    So if kids come to school not dressed appropriately according to the dress code then what do the school do?

What do they normally do if the kid's not conforming to the required dress code?

Either send the student home until they are dressed according to the code, or, if the student has no appropriate clothes, call in social services and investigate the family and find out what said kid's wearing when not at school.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It wouldn't be much of a uniform if I was the only one wearing it.. Nobody would force me to change my clothes? I'm sorry but I feel like you're a bit out of touch with the school children of today.

If you listened to all the students on this thread you'd know that my school colleagues want to wear the uniform.

You want to wear the same thing every day. Of course it would be a uniform; your uniform. No, nobody would force you to change your clothes every day - don't be ridiculous.

Why do you want your school mates to have to wear the same thing every day because YOU want to?

Yes, I have heard your school colleagues on this thread, and I find it sad that they hold those opinions. I also hear my students, who have finished school, and can look back with more clarity; their opinions gives me hope.

I associate with friends and family after school, not a student body of 600+ people who have nothing to judge me on but image.

You really need to realise that 600 people are not all looking at you and judging you. Get over yourself...

You really need to realise that 600 people are not all looking at you and judging you. Get over yourself...

You're really not understanding the current teenager are you. Of course 600 people aren't judging me but don't you remember the insecurities of growing up? Uniforms give us one less insecurity to worry about during a time where there's enough confusion and change and insecurity already.

Oh come on, dramatic much? People are now being harmed by uniforms? This debate has got ridiculous, unless of course you have evidence of the 'harm' being done by wearing one.

Someone who comes on here and calls people who don't go to university or succeed in the LC "narrow minded idiots", and seems to be afraid of the freedom to express themselves through their dress seems to be to have been harmed by the deliberate repression of self expression in Irish schools.

You're really not understanding the current teenager are you. Of course 600 people aren't judging me but don't you remember the insecurities of growing up? Uniforms give us one less insecurity to worry about during a time where there's enough confusion and change and insecurity already.

I work with them every day and in my free time, and I'm a parent. I can't know what it's like to be a teenager now, but I was a teenager myself. Teenagers have always had insecurities about image and about other things; covering up the problem by pretending that everyone is the same isn't the solution.

As I keep repeating, there IS NO ISSUE for the vast majority of young people. You are making an issue out of something that isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

Someone who comes on here and calls people who don't go to university or succeed in the LC "narrow minded idiots", and seems to be afraid of the freedom to express themselves through their dress seems to be to have been harmed by the deliberate repression of self expression in Irish schools.

Wow. Thanks for ignoring my previous comment because I explained myself on how I wasn't putting anyone down who didn't want to go, I'm talking about the people in my school who don't care about ANYTHING, not that they have other interests! How ignorant of you!
    I'm not afraid to express myself, I'm concerned about my peers who aren't as confident in themselves as I am :-)

I work with them every day and in my free time, and I'm a parent. I can't know what it's like to be a teenager now, but I was a teenager myself. Teenagers have always had insecurities about image and about other things; covering up the problem by pretending that everyone is the same isn't the solution.

As I keep repeating, there IS NO ISSUE for the vast majority of young people. You are making an issue out of something that isn't.

I do actually think that insecurities, peer pressure and bullying are issues for young people today. I find it very troubling that you as someone who works with children every day would think I am making an issue out of something that isn't.

seavill wrote: »
    But again who is to decide if they are not doing worse? One may say one thing another might disagree.
    The French, Greek etc are well known for their violent riots actually. Does that go back to issues with too much choice, being allowed wear/do what they want? Who knows bit topic/thread there

All of continental Europe has non-uniformed schools. Schools all over continental Europe do not have kids running riot. Quite the opposite - the relationship between students and teachers tends to be good, because they respect each other.

Some societies have some examples of adult members reacting strongly to political events. And we have plenty examples of Irish people sitting idly by while children were abused - are we any better? Does that come from our being taught from an early age to conform, conform, conform.

Laurenom wrote: »
    You haven't been to my school, if you were you'd understand. "Posh" is the biggest insult ever in the school I attend, but YET you are looked down upon if you don't wear the most expensive Nike runners or the latest brands.

And your school has a uniform...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

All of continental Europe has non-uniformed schools. Schools all over continental Europe do not have kids running riot. Quite the opposite - the relationship between students and teachers tends to be good, because they respect each other.

Some societies have some examples of adult members reacting strongly to political events. And we have plenty examples of Irish people sitting idly by while children were abused - are we any better? Does that come from our being taught from an early age to conform, conform, conform.

I don't know

Laurenom wrote: »
    I'm no poster girl for any harm thank you very much, you aren't in secondary school so you DO NOT know what it is like today, and I meant not getting past the leaving cert as in they didn't care at all.. Not that they chose different paths, I do not look down on anyone who doesn't want to go to university but my point is on those who don't because they didnt bother to do anything, as in sit at home all day and judge people.

I'm thinking of the people who aren't as confident as me and who would be terrified to have to wear their own clothes! Not because I need them to look the same as me because I would rather see them get through secondary school smoothly!

You certainly do look down on people. Your comment about other students was appalling.

You have no idea what it's like to be in a school environment where you can think for yourself and express yourself: I do. I see how students deal with it, and I'm telling you they just get on with it. No big deal. Only those of you who favour uniform make a big deal of it - fear of the unknown.

But we're not running riot here either and I have great relationships with my teachers, who I respect because they are giving me an education and not because of the clothes I'm wearing.

You're obsessed with non-conformity yet still insist we follow continental Europe with this.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Most students wear a uniform for the full school week. You'd probably need 2 sets of clothes that aren't uniforms.
    Clothes are more expensive than uniforms.

Yes, they wear the same clothes five days in a row. Not terribly hygenic.

Why would you need two sets of clothes that aren't uniforms? What's wrong with putting on a set of clothes in the morning and taking it off when you go to bed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Closing this.

I apologise to younger boards members who were drawn in here and addressed in a less than polite manner. You are as entitled as any to voice your opinions and are obviously more in tune with the feelings of teenagers on uniforms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement