Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't it time for school uniforms to be scrapped at this stage???

Options
  • 14-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi There,
    So i said I would just start a thread to something I am so curious about which is School Uniforms , I mean come on , Yes there are advantages but many many Disadvantages.
    ADVANTAGES:
    1. Less cost on parents.
    2. More equal situation in school.
    ermmm..... That's it :mad::mad:
    DISADVANTAGES:
    1. Extremely uncomfortable - Especially the shirts like they are made out of cheap s**t material.
    2. No way of expressing ourselves at all.
    3. They are torture in the hot weather.
    the list goes on.......

But I think that uniforms should be ABOLISHED COMPLETELY as this will bring more freedom to us second level students.....

P.S. - My uniform is made out of crap and literally gives my armpits a rash and I sweat like a RIVER in my uniform and so does everyone else in my class..... JUST WANT THEM GONE FOREVER.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Nothing to stop you getting a better quality shirt or wearing a t shirt or vest underneath.

I like uniforms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Scrap uniforms, then the fashion race begins, more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mrsoundie wrote: »

That's the real problem. And ostracism and bullying will stem for not being "with it" or wearing the wrong clothes, or even wearing the same outfit too often.

Just ask your parents to get you better quality clothes.

Nothing wrong with uniforms in principle, though admittedly some seem designed to be as unflattering as possible, which can't be a good educational message to a teen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Survey in a school I taught in once ran a survey and had 96% wanting uniform retained. There's a lot of support out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think it would be good if school uniforms were at least updated a bit. Some schools really seem to go over the top, I've heard of kids not being allowed to wear jackets to school that are not school branded, girls not being allowed to wear tights, etc. I think something more comfortable would be better for the kids and I don't think it's right that girls have to wear skirts. I would have hated that as a child (grew up in a country that doesnt have school uniforms).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭lillian770

Survey in a school I taught in once ran a survey and had 96% wanting uniform retained. There's a lot of support out there

Kind of a strange result. I would have expected most kids not to like uniforms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most primary schools surveyed parents recently on uniforms, most parents want them. In secondary I can see why many pupils would want to keep them. How can girls not be allowed to wear tights?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im so glad my secondary school had uniforms. Even then, the shoes had to be a certain type but not a specific make, so one guy had Ralph Lauren shoes and I had penneys own brand. Sports clothes were compulsory but not specific, so I was ridiculed for about 3 years for my choice in sports wear. That really encouraged me to embrace sports :rolleyes:

I hated going back to school on Sunday evenings because everyone would be in their casual clothes and I didn't have the confidence to have my own style and just wear what I want, and everyone else would be there with their nice looking, often, branded clothing.

Once a term we had "colours day" where you paid a euro or two and were allowed not wear uniform, usually on the last day of term. I regularly pretended I didnt have the two euro because the uniform was preferential to my crappy clothes. (And oftentimes I didnt have the 2 euro)

I'm glad my school had a uniform, and I bet, in a secret ballot, many kids would vote for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think at some schools they can only wear socks. Felt really bad for them during the winter! It seems like a really pointless rule too.

In my home country they started introducing uniforms at some schools as there was too much peer pressure on kids to dress in certain brands etc, but they just got trousers and a t-shirt or sweater with the school logo, that kind of thing. No scratchy jumpers and shapeless skirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Scrap the 18th century ones sure. Stick the kids in generic track suits or slacks etc. Make badges available for sewing on rather than bespoke emroidered jumpers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

An austrian friend of mine asked me about this recently, and I gave the same answers given here, but she said to me that when she was growing up in Austria with no uniforms it was never an issue in the 3 schools she went to or any of her friend's.. and it's definitely not that bullying wasn't an issue. What is it that makes this a problem in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think at some schools they can only wear socks. Felt really bad for them during the winter! It seems like a really pointless rule too.

In my home country they started introducing uniforms at some schools as there was too much peer pressure on kids to dress in certain brands etc, but they just got trousers and a t-shirt or sweater with the school logo, that kind of thing. No scratchy jumpers and shapeless skirts.

In my secondary school girls could wear navy cords during the winter months, once summer came in it was back to skirts for them.

I'm fine with everyone having to wear the same stuff, but in some schools they really seem to go out of their way for the uniforms to be unsightly or uncomfortable. The Tech near me had a uniform of brown. I remember a friend of mine in her school uniform. She was a pretty girl in regular clothes, but a ginger girl, pale skin and freckles in a brown sweater, brown skirt and brown tie with white and brown knee high socks, made her almost hideous looking in uniform.
    An austrian friend of mine asked me about this recently, and I gave the same answers given here, but she said to me that when she was growing up in Austria with no uniforms it was never an issue in the 3 schools she went to or any of her friend's.. and it's definitely not that bullying wasn't an issue. What is it that makes this a problem in Ireland?

Maybe your friend was one of the people with the cool clothes and was never picked on due to her clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

It wasn't an issue for her or her friends most likely because they weren't the people described earlier that didn't have the money for the branded things.
    It's a problem for the ones who keep quiet. The ones that "forget" about the non uniform day every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Now get back to your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suspect bullying is a bit of a non-issue in this regard. Kids still get bullied where schools have uniforms. Popular kids who wear cheap or unbranded clothes will get a bit of a slagging from their mates, but won't get bullied. Unpopular kids who wear trendy clothes will still get bullied and have their expensive clothes vandalised or stolen.

That said, I have no issue in principle with school uniforms, though I think strict uniforms are pushing it a bit, and something a bit more akin to workplace rules would work better - schools would still maintain a "style" while parents could do what suits their budget best and children can wear stuff that's more comfortable. That is, the school choose a colour scheme (such as navy), and the parents work within that. You restrict the types of clothes that can be worn - no jeans, nothing with a badge, etc - and make it gender neutral; girls can wear pants if they want, etc.
    That way, if someone wants to buy their kid a cashmere John Rocha, they can fire away, it'll look just like the polyester Penney's jumper worn by the next guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've seen bullying because of clothing first hand, even because of footwear worn with a uniform. Unfortunately it does happen. Slagging, if vindictive, is bullying and probably more hurtful in the long run than the occasional dead arm.

My daughters school allow the uniform to be bought anywhere and you can then buy the school crest to sew on. They also have a 'preferred' supplier where it's all done. I reckon any good parents council should be able to get this type of thing in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When we amalgamated with another school, the question of uniforms came up. Only one of the amalgamating schools had a uniform, but a student vote showed that a large majority of the students going into the 'new' school wanted one. When we ran a competition to design the uniform, we really expected them to come up wih crazy designs, but what was chosen by vote was very close to existing uniforms of other schools around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Our school sent out surveys last year about uniforms and there was an overwhelming vote to keep the uniform. It came up in my classes a few times and surprisingly students in my classes mentioned the fact that they would like blazers, which the school I work in doesn't have. They thought they looked smart and were willing to wear them to school as part of the uniform.

On the OP's post, uniforms can be expensive but they are worn 5 days a week for 8-9 months of the year. There is value in that. Plenty of parents buy clothes for their children, or teenagers buy clothes for themselves that are equally expensive that fall apart in no time or don't get the same amount of wear and tear before they are discarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Scenario 1: Parent Shouting up stairs:Hurry on, get up get uniform we need to leave now.

Scenario 2: hurry on, get up get dressed we need to leave now.
    Teenage reply, Ive nothing to wear I need new clothes, cue breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I myself have to wear a uniform for employment purposes (not McDonalds, I know you are thinking that) and there is a certain relief or joy from changing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Yes sure , But the school could have a "within reason" dress code example: No Student should be made feel like they must wear designer clothes etc... There really is ways around it.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hi There,
    So i said I would just start a thread to something I am so curious about which is School Uniforms , I mean come on , Yes there are advantages but many many Disadvantages.
    ADVANTAGES:
    1. Less cost on parents.
    2. More equal situation in school.
    ermmm..... That's it :mad::mad:
    DISADVANTAGES:
    1. Extremely uncomfortable - Especially the shirts like they are made out of cheap s**t material.
    2. No way of expressing ourselves at all.
    3. They are torture in the hot weather.
    the list goes on.......

But I think that uniforms should be ABOLISHED COMPLETELY as this will bring more freedom to us second level students.....

P.S. - My uniform is made out of crap and literally gives my armpits a rash and I sweat like a RIVER in my uniform and so does everyone else in my class..... JUST WANT THEM GONE FOREVER.:confused:

Definitely. No young person in their right mind would chose what they are forced to wear as uniforms.

And as a teacher I hated having rows of look-alikes sitting in front of me, and having to enforce petty rules about colour of socks or wearing of ties. I taught in Germany, where there is no uniform, and the students had a much better relationship with their teachers, because they respected the rules that were in the school, and didn't resent them.

I haven't taught people in uniforms for twenty years now, and it's so nice to see young people expressing themselves in whatever way they want through their clothes or their hair or make up.

I suspect, though, that you and I are in a minority.

Nothing to stop you getting a better quality shirt or wearing a t shirt or vest underneath.

I like uniforms

Are YOU forced to wear one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

katydid wrote: »
    Are YOU forced to wear one?

Of sorts, yes.
    Shirt, jacket, slacks, shoes.

mrsoundie wrote: »

No, it doesn't. People wear the "uniform" of youth - hoodies, jeans or trackies. They ring the changes with their own twists to it, but in the twenty years I've been teaching students who have no uniform, it's not an issue.

It's only an issue on "no uniform day" in uniformed schools, where the students, especially the girls, go to town on the one day they are allowed be individuals.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's the real problem. And ostracism and bullying will stem for not being "with it" or wearing the wrong clothes, or even wearing the same outfit too often.

Just ask your parents to get you better quality clothes.

Ostracism and bullying can happen because you don't have the "right" shoes or phone or bag...bullies will always find a way.

It's no reason to stifle a young person's self expression.

Nothing wrong with uniforms in principle, though admittedly some seem designed to be as unflattering as possible, which can't be a good educational message to a teen.

Why don't you have a problem with them? Do you like young people to be stifled in their self expression?

Are YOU forced to wear a uniform?

• Advertisement

Most primary schools surveyed parents recently on uniforms, most parents want them. In secondary I can see why many pupils would want to keep them. How can girls not be allowed to wear tights?!?

Many second level students know nothing else than wearing uniform, and they have got used to the fact that you don't have to think in the morning about what to wear. They seem to think that's a good thing, because they know no better.

When they go on to FE or third level, and don't have to wear one any more, they realise how limiting that was. I've had discussions and debates with them, and the vast majority would not want to go back to uniforms, even if they were in favour of them when they were in secondary.

My own daughter found it very hard to adjust to having to wear a uniform in secondary. She went to a primary school where they had none, and she was used to waking up in the morning and dressing according to her mood. She really resented not being able to do that, and got into a lot of trouble in school for trying to put her own twist on the horrible uniform they had to wear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement