Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't it time for school uniforms to be scrapped at this stage???

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

seavill wrote: »
    I said the two societies were different which was the point the other poster was making

The societies might be different, but young people aren't. They value fairness and they are not so shallow that they think about clothes all the time.

If there are societies that do things better than us, why shouldn't we look at what they are doing right, and take it on board? And they could take things from us that we do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bazinga1

Speaking as a secondary school student myself, I am so glad we have a uniform in our school. I'm glad I don't have to pick a new outfit to wear everyday and have to deal with competition or people bitching about your clothes. And imagine the amount of more washing you'd have to do!

bazinga1 wrote: »
    Speaking as a secondary school student myself, I am so glad we have a uniform in our school. I'm glad I don't have to pick a new outfit to wear everyday and have to deal with competition or people bitching about your clothes. And imagine the amount of more washing you'd have to do!

And imagine having to think for yourself and to wear what you feel like!

What are you afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

katydid wrote: »
    The societies might be different, but young people aren't. They value fairness and they are not so shallow that they think about clothes all the time.

If there are societies that do things better than us, why shouldn't we look at what they are doing right, and take it on board? And they could take things from us that we do better.

If the societies are different then the inhabitants of the society are different, otherwise the societies wouldn't be different?

You've had several teenagers currently in school and wearing uniforms happily tell you their opinions but all you're doing is insisting they are wrong and afraid.

I am a teenager. I am in school. I wear a uniform. There ARE people who care about clothes immensely and there ARE people looked down on for the clothes they do or do not wear. There ARE young people who judge other young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

And who's to judge whether the things they do are better then us or not? Very philosophical question there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

bjork wrote: »
    Would school not be the perfect place to educate their minds? Where else could we do it or do we just let them live with their ignorance?

It is but unfortunately once they leave school as you know yourself they are straight onto the Internet where again, image is super important! A lot of students like myself would listen and wouldn't judge but I can't speak for everyone and I first hand see kids being judged everyday even while wearing uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

@katydid. Take 70 junior infants to the zoo with 2 adults and you'll see the value of a uniform.

Good Christ, is that ratio not neglient? 70 kids with just 2 adults - what happens is soemthing happens to one of the adults...??

Hi viz jackets do the job over here, but there's one adult for every 8 or 9 kids and I'd consider that the far more important fact to consider.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And who's to judge whether the things they do are better then us or not? Very philosophical question there

True. But they are certainly not doing worse. The youth of mainland Europe are not running riot in their schools because they are allowed wear their own clothes. And, unlike Irish students, they are allowed self expression, which ou surely agree is a good thing?

And imagine having to think for yourself and to wear what you feel like!

What are you afraid of?

What if I feel like wearing a uniform? I don't feel like having to spend a significantly more amount of money on clothes and a significantly more amount of time choosing and worrying about clothes?

Laurenom wrote: »
    It is but unfortunately once they leave school as you know yourself they are straight onto the Internet where again, image is super important! A lot of students like myself would listen and wouldn't judge but I can't speak for everyone and I first hand see kids being judged everyday even while wearing uniform.

Shame you have such a low opinion of your fellow students. In my experience, they are not that shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

What if I feel like wearing a uniform? I don't feel like having to spend a significantly more amount of money on clothes and a significantly more amount of time choosing and worrying about clothes?

There's no uniform for the real world, it's better you learn the skills early

So you started thinking about appearances and how people are judged etc. That's wonderful. Isn't that a good thing? Imagine if all students started thinking like that?
    I know it can be uncomfortable to have to think about uncomfortable things, but it's part of learning about life.

Does it really help to avoid the issue by dressing as clones?

It's a great thing but unfortunately not every student thinks like that! And for the benefit of the insecure kids who are subject to bullying IF we could wear our own clothes it's best to keep uniform to keep things running smoothly in my opinion.. And when we get to university we can where our own clothes and not have to worry because the narrow minded idiots in our secondary schools won't have made it past the leaving cert!:-))

Knock yourself out and get a uniform. Quesiton is why do you feel the like forcing everyone else to wear them?

Seriously, though, what is it that a uniform does that a good dress code doesn't?

If you feel like wearing a uniform, what's to stop you wearing the exact same thing to school every day? Nobody would force you to change your clothes every day if you prefer not to.

And what would be wrong with your school colleagues wearing what they want to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

True. But they are certainly not doing worse. The youth of mainland Europe are not running riot in their schools because they are allowed wear their own clothes. And, unlike Irish students, they are allowed self expression, which ou surely agree is a good thing?

But again who is to decide if they are not doing worse? One may say one thing another might disagree.
    The French, Greek etc are well known for their violent riots actually. Does that go back to issues with too much choice, being allowed wear/do what they want? Who knows bit topic/thread there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Grand with keeping uniforms but they should be made far more comfortable and casual.

Shame you have such a low opinion of your fellow students. In my experience, they are not that shallow.

You haven't been to my school, if you were you'd understand. "Posh" is the biggest insult ever in the school I attend, but YET you are looked down upon if you don't wear the most expensive Nike runners or the latest brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Knock yourself out and get a uniform. Quesiton is why do you feel the like forcing everyone else to wear them?

Seriously, though, what is it that a uniform does that a good dress code doesn't?

What if a students parents can't afford
    to buy suitable clothes so that their children can conform to this dress code?

Laurenom wrote: »
    It's a great thing but unfortunately not every student thinks like that! And for the benefit of the insecure kids who are subject to bullying IF we could wear our own clothes it's best to keep uniform to keep things running smoothly in my opinion.. And when we get to university we can where our own clothes and not have to worry because the narrow minded idiots in our secondary schools won't have made it past the leaving cert!:-))

No, not every student thinks like that. They don't get the chance to, because they aren't allowed to wear what they want to wear, are they? They aren't confronted with situations where they have to think in that way/

So people who don't go to university are broad minded and those who choose other paths are "narrow minded idiots"? How patronising of you.

This from someone who doesn't want to think for themselves, and who wants all their school mates to be the same as them... Do you realise that you're a poster girl for the harm uniforms do to the way people think?

EoghanIRL wrote: »

There'd be no need for the uniform grant from the state if everybody could afford the current uniforms

• Advertisement

There's no uniform for the real world, it's better you learn the skills early

I'll learn the skills when I have my own money to spend and do my own washing etc. I'm not saying everyone has their parents pay for their clothes but it's not often you hear of children paying for their own uniforms.

I think it's important to learn the skills when you're mature enough to realise that life isn't a fashion show, that there are more important things to worry about than wearing a skirt that will impress the lads in the school across the road.

You can tell me I'm wrong and that young people aren't that shallow, but it's the reality of life that I experience each day.

They can't buy their children clothes? They send them out in the world naked?

I'll learn the skills when I have my own money to spend and do my own washing etc. I'm not saying everyone has their parents pay for their clothes but it's not often you hear of children paying for their own uniforms.

I think it's important to learn the skills when you're mature enough to realise that life isn't a fashion show, that there are more important things to worry about than wearing a skirt that will impress the lads in the school across the road.

You can tell me I'm wrong and that young people aren't that shallow, but it's the reality of life that I experience each day.

What age do you think students should start learning the basic skill of deciding what to wear. Start at 18?

You're going to wait until AFTER SCHOOL to start learning life skills???? Has it crossed your mind that if you, and other young people, start learning those life skills from very early one, it won't be an issue by the time you get to your teens?

There'd be no need for the uniform grant from the state if everybody could afford the current uniforms
    Or if they just wore the clothes they already have.

If you feel like wearing a uniform, what's to stop you wearing the exact same thing to school every day? Nobody would force you to change your clothes every day if you prefer not to.

And what would be wrong with your school colleagues wearing what they want to wear?

It wouldn't be much of a uniform if I was the only one wearing it.. Nobody would force me to change my clothes? I'm sorry but I feel like you're a bit out of touch with the school children of today.

If you listened to all the students on this thread you'd know that my school colleagues want to wear the uniform.

But again who is to decide if they are not doing worse? One may say one thing another might disagree.
    The French, Greek etc are well known for their violent riots actually. Does that go back to issues with too much choice, being allowed wear/do what they want? Who knows bit topic/thread there

Economically, I'd argue they're doing better. They have a far healthier attitude towards childcare and education - i.e. looking after the child;s wellbeing as well as his intellect. Question is, is that what we want to strive for or not?

Perhaps the Green and French are better rable to stand up for themselves because they've been educated to be independent and expressive. Is that a good thing or not? You tell me.

I don't see kids running around naked because their parents can't buy clothing for them.

No, not every student thinks like that. They don't get the chance to, because they aren't allowed to wear what they want to wear, are they? They aren't confronted with situations where they have to think in that way/

So people who don't go to university are broad minded and those who choose other paths are "narrow minded idiots"? How patronising of you.

This from someone who doesn't want to think for themselves, and who wants all their school mates to be the same as them... Do you realise that you're a poster girl for the harm uniforms do to the way people think?

I'm no poster girl for any harm thank you very much, you aren't in secondary school so you DO NOT know what it is like today, and I meant not getting past the leaving cert as in they didn't care at all.. Not that they chose different paths, I do not look down on anyone who doesn't want to go to university but my point is on those who don't because they didnt bother to do anything, as in sit at home all day and judge people.

I'm thinking of the people who aren't as confident as me and who would be terrified to have to wear their own clothes! Not because I need them to look the same as me because I would rather see them get through secondary school smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Most students wear a uniform for the full school week. You'd probably need 2 sets of clothes that aren't uniforms.
    Clothes are more expensive than uniforms.

• Advertisement

What age do you think students should start learning the basic skill of deciding what to wear. Start at 18?

I don't know what you did but I don't wear my uniform after school, at weekends or during holidays. It's on for six or seven hours a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement