Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

So I've recycled this thread on receipt of the news this morning that our constituency boundaries have changed back.

So no more lowry, cahill, kelly - who on earth can we vote for in the south and hopefully for clonmel in particular, our town centre is a mess and there is a huge problem with drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Mattie a certainty -surely will be a massive push from FG for Go with Garrett - god knows who else, wonder if the Social Democrats will run anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm sure they'll find someone to run, if even just to raise their profile before the locals next year and gauge what kind of support is there.

Personally I could never warm to Garrett, he was called out before on announcing stuff he had nothing to do with but is nowhere to be seen when there's bad news. I could be reading him totally wrong but he strikes me as the kind of politician who'll be happy to keep a low profile on the back benches and vote with his party with unwavering loyalty. It looks like he's being primed for election but he just seems a bit too sweet to be wholesome.

What are FF likely to do in the deep south, will they roll out Siobhan Ambrose again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Seamus Healy has announced today on Tipp FM that will be standing in the next General Election.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Nice man Seamus. What did he deliver for Clonmel though previously? Helping people fill up medical card forms housing apps etc is county cllr territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is there a chance he'll split the 'lefty' vote that probably would be going to Sinn Fein's Martin Browne?

Big time will split it and given a choice between both I’d go with Seamus as a person but if SF are in govt a govt TD would be welcomed in the constituency

I feel if Seamus were to be elected as a TD he'd be likely to vote with a left leaning government. When he was in the dail before he disagreed with FF/FG on a lot of matters and voted accordingly, as he was free to do because he wasn't whipped like party TDs. In a tight majority independents can hold the balance of power

The WUAG party had six councilors on Clonmel Corporation when the flood relief wall was being built, what a travesty blocking off the view to the river and the foothills of the Comeraghs. Compared to what was done in Kilkenny city it is a disgrace.

At the age of 73 he has at least three pensions, you would think he would be encouraging young people to stand.

We have had enough Independents in South Tipperary.

Luckily there are not enough "victims" to elect him as we now have full emplyoyment. The "U" in WUAG now more accurately stands for "Unemployable"

Time we had someone of ministerial quality to represent us.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Seamus is a lovely man but we need new and younger blood - he looks frailer than 73 IMO. I also dont rate Garrett Ahearne, he tried before and when he failed he got a cushy number in the Senate. I’ve no idea who will run but I hope they are new, young and enthusiastic as there is a lot of work needing doing and the same old same old see bereft of new ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was going to echo this.

The sooner Mairin McGrath starts running in General Elections, the better. Genuinely the future of politics in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you think I'm any way associated with the McGrath's you couldn't be further off.

But good one my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

NEWSFLASH! Johnny Looby has just announced on Tipp FM that he's standing in the next general election. He wants no1 votes only!

Who's johnny looby?

A gobshite on that gobshite Fran Curry’s Tipp Today programme. Imagine a less funnier version if possible of Pat Short! That’s Looby.

A gobshite on that gobshite Fran Curry’s Tipp Today programme. Imagine a less funnier version if possible of Pat Short! That’s Looby.

J would find it a lot easier to listen to Johnny Looby than say Ray Darcy.

Looby a great cheeerie voice early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Nails on a blackboard is an easier listen than Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Why in the name of jaysus would anyone vote for Martin brown …..he has done nothing and a poor td but with sf popularity and lack of any other credible sf candidates he’ll mop up certain votes …Seamie morris is a huge loss to sf in tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Have they organised a voting process for citizens overseas yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

The new North Tipp/ kilkenny will be interesting:

3 seats Lowry kelly and cahil

SF will be looking for 1 as well

I would think Lowry will def be elected and then the fun starts- cahil will miss the south bit more than the others I would say . Also many of FF voters around Roscrea area would rather vote for shep the dog than Cahil who has been non existant in the area. A big thing will be whether FF run 1 or 2. If only 1, I wouldnt be supprised if he loses his seat. SF dont seem to have a known canidate since morris jumped ship .

Kelly will be interesting - will he look at Europe again since he lost leadership- relies so hevely on Nenagh and a SF canidate could hurt him if they are based there.

North Tipp could go back to being the bell weather one again .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Shinners have Damien o donoughe …sound bloke ,hard working councillor but can’t see him been elected ….not well known outside nenagh …..Kelly despite his knockers has delieverd in spades for nenagh and hydro plant in Silvermines is his baby too ….seamie morris is a huge loss to sf ..think he’ll get a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Why do people think Gareth Ahern will get in.

As well as been disliked within his own party he is absolutely shĩte at getting anything done

If you were to believe him he gets everything done even without being elected. I have no involvement in FG so I don't know or care whether people in his party love him or hate him but surely to get the nomination there must be someone backing him?

Is he running in the locals next year or is that beneath him? It would be a good gauge of the support if he did

Only two Tipperary T.D.s will vote for Simon Harris for Taoiseach next week, both from the Thurles area, namely Jackie Cahill and Michael Lowry the other three will be out shortly with their begging bowels.

Begging bowels? Is that a Freudian slip?

No surprise that Jackie would do as he was told but at least ML has the cuteness to look for something in return. I agree with him (and it's not often I do) that they don't need a general election now, all parties and independent groups need to get the locals out of the way first before they can make a proper plan for it.

Begging bowels? Is that a Freudian slip?

Well spotted. It was a genuine error.

In fairness to Cahill he has to vote with the party whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭golfball37

the same whip that said they had no confidence in Harris a mere three years ago.

• Advertisement

Looks like Michael Murphy and Garrett Ahearn will be going head to head for the nomination at the FG selection convention. I'm not a member of FG but if I was I know which one I'd be backing.

Advertisement