Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

touts wrote: »
    It will be a Fine Gael seat. Someone from their Clonmel branch.

That’s what I was thinking myself but politics is a strange ole game.

I kind of feel sorry for anyone that voted for Ahern in the local elections thinking he would stick out the term and make their vote actually worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think Lowrys a crook and wouldnt go to him about anything and while I agree to an extent with you on the panels in the seanad. They should be changed both in terms of who votes for them and who can be nominated for the specific panels.
    But spoiling your vote doesnt show anything unless there is a widespread plan/campaign to show something up. Which you doing so doesnt
    digzy wrote: »
    only if people stay at home/dont vote in large numbers or an extraordinary amount of spoiled votes suggest there is voter apathy.
    And it's very simple a body having some form of oversight on the dail is very much needed

As per my previous posts on the matter, spoiling my vote is by way of protest. I know it’s pretty pointless but I’m not giving a mandate to the Seanad.

Can you give any examples of how the oversight of the Seanad has been needed in the last 2 Dail terms?

Re Lowry, I’m aware of what he’s done and what he is, but I don’t blame anyone who feels he can provide assistance to them in terms of a chamber of commerce or a schools group seeking deis status to name two examples in west tipp.

That’s what I was thinking myself but politics is a strange ole game.

I kind of feel sorry for anyone that voted for Ahern in the local elections thinking he would stick out the term and make their vote actually worth something.

I’d imagine anyone who voted for him locally would be happy that he’s moved up the greasy pole.

Does anybody know what he’s been at for the last 20 years since he left secondary school? Has he a third level qualification, or a profession ? All I’ve heard was that he’s been Simon coveneys chauffeur!

I can't disagree with most of that not disputing the C.V.'s of Mcgrath or Browne either but they were put forward in the general election. Lowry on the otherhand is a fraudster and had the arrogance to bring a journo telling the truth to court, a proper scumbag I don't care how good people say he might be at his job.

Were you eligible to vote in it?

I’ve a feeling Mary Ann hasn’t a Seanad vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

As per my previous posts on the matter, spoiling my vote is by way of protest. I know it’s pretty pointless but I’m not giving a mandate to the Seanad.

Can you give any examples of how the oversight of the Seanad has been needed in the last 2 Dail terms?

Re Lowry, I’m aware of what he’s done and what he is, but I don’t blame anyone who feels he can provide assistance to them in terms of a chamber of commerce or a schools group seeking deis status to name two examples in west tipp.
    Shane Ross judicial bill only passed due to changes implemented thanks to seanad.
    If you see seanad as pointless you are far better off not voting at all then spoiling the vote
    I want tds who will act in the national interest. If I want something done on a local level I'll get a councillor to do it. Lowry doesnt participate to any degree in natio al politics which isnt good enough

• Advertisement

Shane Ross judicial bill only passed due to changes implemented thanks to seanad.
    If you see seanad as pointless you are far better off not voting at all then spoiling the vote
    I want tds who will act in the national interest. If I want something done on a local level I'll get a councillor to do it. Lowry doesnt participate to any degree in natio al politics which isnt good enough

You’re going round in circles with straw man arguments.
    I’m not a Lowry supporter. If he can assist someone with something best of luck to them.
    I think you ought do a little research regarding the deis school status of primary schools in tipperary town. I’m not suggesting he got something for them they weren’t eligible for, simply that he assisted them in the process.

Read the link regarding ‘spoiling your vote’. As I said it’s very close to pointless, but it’s a form of protest. By not voting you’re excluding yourself from the process. Spoiling ones vote sends a message albeit minute.

Unfortunately there were bigger issues to deal with over the past few weeks, hence I didn’t send of the paper.

What’s your constituency? Who did you vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I’ve a feeling Mary Ann hasn’t a Seanad vote!!!

Strange, then I guess by her own admission her opinion doesn't matter one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I’d imagine anyone who voted for him locally would be happy that he’s moved up the greasy pole.

Does anybody know what he’s been at for the last 20 years since he left secondary school? Has he a third level qualification, or a profession ? All I’ve heard was that he’s been Simon coveneys chauffeur!

I knew him briefly when he worked in a pub in town. He was studying Politics in Cork at the time. The driving gig must have came after that. Don't know what he does now to be honest. Full time politician??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Full time party hack I understand. There are plenty of jobs to be handed out when you are in government. Lots of "drivers" and "researchers" and stuff like that.

The counting of votes in the contest to fill the Clonmel Borough Council seat left vacant by Garret Ahearn upon his election to the Seanad has taken place today, and Fine Gael’s John Fitzgerald has won the seat.

Mr Fitzgerald, the brother of Cllr Michael Fitzgerald defeated Paudie Ahearn – Senator Ahearn’s brother by a vote of 57 to 36 by a section of party members.

It is traditionally the case that should a relation of the departing council member indicate their wish to fill that seat, it would not be contested.

The contest that led to today’s result defied that tradition.

• Advertisement

The counting of votes in the contest to fill the Clonmel Borough Council seat left vacant by Garret Ahearn upon his election to the Seanad has taken place today, and Fine Gael’s John Fitzgerald has won the seat.

Mr Fitzgerald, the brother of Cllr Michael Fitzgerald defeated Paudie Ahearn – Senator Ahearn’s brother by a vote of 57 to 36 by a section of party members.

It is traditionally the case that should a relation of the departing council member indicate their wish to fill that seat, it would not be contested.

Is that the John Fitzgerald of dougan Fitzgerald auctioneers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is that the John Fitzgerald of dougan Fitzgerald auctioneers?[/QUO

Yes.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

What do you stand for. "I'm your man's brother".

And what do you stand for. "I'm the other man's brother".

Fcuk me! It's no wonder Sinn Fein are cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

What do you stand for. "I'm your man's brother".

And what do you stand for. "I'm the other man's brother".

Fcuk me! It's no wonder Sinn Fein are cleaning up.

Exactly, this nepotism has to stop in this country and especially in polotics. We vote for who we want/need - that does not give that person the right to transfer our vote to whoever he likes - outrageious carryon

Another 5 years with no one representing Tipperary at the top table of Irish government. And another 5 years with no one representing Tipperary at the kids table either. But we've no one but ourselves to blame. When you look at the quality we elect it's hardly surprising. Cahill is the only government TD and most of the time it's hard to know if he is dead or alive (even if he is in the room with you). We've been asset stripped of services and resources and I fear that will continue as long as we waste our votes on independents and knuckle draggers.

Another 5 years with no one representing Tipperary at the top table of Irish government. And another 5 years with no one representing Tipperary at the kids table either. But we've no one but ourselves to blame. When you look at the quality we elect it's hardly surprising. Cahill is the only government TD and most of the time it's hard to know if he is dead or alive (even if he is in the room with you). We've been asset stripped of services and resources and I fear that will continue as long as we waste our votes on independents and knuckle draggers.
    so who would you like to see elected in their place?
    What representation from parties and what kind people would you like?
    Tipp ultimately is across multiple regions and as one constituency is not going to do better unless theres substantial change. I agree tipp will not do better with some of the independents currently in place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If this Government lasts 5 years I will be astounded, not a chance.

The notion that a vote for an independent is a wasted vote is exactly what's wrong with the entire political landscape in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We have 2 very fine tds although not part of govt in Alan Kelly and Mike lowry we have 2 very vocal snd intelegent people.cahill ,Martin brown etc have nothing to offer only sound bites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm surprised Jackie Cahill was overlooked in favour of first time TDs especially considering his seat wasn't all that safe. I can see this coalition coasting along til 2025 unfortunately, the greens won't be too willing to pull the plug anytime soon given how many of their seats were won on the back of Sinn Féin transfers

julyjane wrote: »
    I'm surprised Jackie Cahill was overlooked in favour of first time TDs especially considering his seat wasn't all that safe. I can see this coalition coasting along til 2025 unfortunately, the greens won't be too willing to pull the plug anytime soon given how many of their seats were won on the back of Sinn Féin transfers

Why unfortunately? This government is the best outcome from a very inconclusive election. I hope that they last the distance. The country needs stability.

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    We have 2 very fine tds although not part of govt in Alan Kelly and Mike lowry we have 2 very vocal snd intelegent people.cahill ,Martin brown etc have nothing to offer only sound bites
    Lowry isnt a fine td though. How much does he actually contribute up in leinster house?
    Can we say much on Mahoney considering hes been a td 5 months and for so much of that time the dail wasnt sitting...

Lowry isnt a fine td though. How much does he actually contribute up in leinster house?
    Can we say much on Mahoney considering hes been a td 5 months and for so much of that time the dail wasnt sitting...

Presume it was Martin brown you were referring to in second paragraph ,he got in solely because he was the only sf candidate tuning not because he was an outstanding candidate ,he lost his town council seat over a year ago heard him on tipp fm a few times on one occasion he was insisting on the govt just going and getting. Back the 13 billion he thinks apple owe us clearly dosnt understand that situation .if Seamie Morris was a sf member still none of us would know who Martin brown is

I wasn't surprised Cahill was not appointed to a role. He has zero profile in the county let alone nationally. I suspect he is quite happy where he is.

As for Browne. God help us. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. It didn't matter who the candidate was there was a vote for Sinn Fein that swept him into a role I think he barely even knew he was running for let alone anyone else knowing he was running.

Lowry is utterly unsuitable to high office and if you want to know why look up one of the tribunals following his last stint in high office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Michael Lowry is not a fine TD, he is a criminal and we are a laughing stock electing criminals as our respresentatives.

Martin Browne was elected on the back of the SF vote.

Jackie Cahill is an absent TD - too busy running his farm and I've never seen him in Clonmel, the county town.

Alan Kelly barely beat Seamus Healy in and we then have Mattie McGrath.

Gerald Ahearne wasn't elected so they co-opt him for the Seanad. The Seanad is a joke, we all should vote for the Senators and it should be on the same day as the general election and then the unelected TDs couldn't be dumped on us by the political parties.

Michael Lowry is not a fine TD, he is a criminal and we are a laughing stock electing criminals as our respresentatives.

Martin Browne was elected on the back of the SF vote.

Jackie Cahill is an absent TD - too busy running his farm and I've never seen him in Clonmel, the county town.

Alan Kelly barely beat Seamus Healy in and we then have Mattie McGrath.

Gerald Ahearne wasn't elected so they co-opt him for the Seanad. The Seanad is a joke, we all should vote for the Senators and it should be on the same day as the general election and then the unelected TDs couldn't be dumped on us by the political parties.

Don’t recall lowry been convicted of anything rest bar Kelly id agree I’m from north tipp and wouldn’t of been a fan in the past but he has put in huge work in last few years ,first data in nenagh ,hydro plant in Silvermines ,replacement factory in old P&G site nationally his work for cervical cancer etc and now he is leader of the Labour Party he could be /is the most important td we have in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Don’t recall lowry been convicted of anything rest bar Kelly id agree I’m from north tipp and wouldn’t of been a fan in the past but he has put in huge work in last few years ,first data in nenagh ,hydro plant in Silvermines ,replacement factory in old P&G site nationally his work for cervical cancer etc and now he is leader of the Labour Party he could be /is the most important td we have in tipp

Kelly hasn't delivered the hydro plant yet although he is fond of talking about it. Can't argue with the rest of what you said about him though.

Kelly hasn't delivered the hydro plant yet although he is fond of talking about it. Can't argue with the rest of what you said about him though.

Lots going on in background as regards tests etc still very much going ahead , in m living in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lots going on in background as regards tests etc still very much going ahead , in m living in that area

So am I. I also know the complications of the site. A lot of potential issues with the mineshafts and high lead levels in the soil. It hasn't been granted planning permission yet. When that happens I'll be more optimistic.

Presume it was Martin brown you were referring to in second paragraph ,he got in solely because he was the only sf candidate tuning not because he was an outstanding candidate ,he lost his town council seat over a year ago heard him on tipp fm a few times on one occasion he was insisting on the govt just going and getting. Back the 13 billion he thinks apple owe us clearly dosnt understand that situation .if Seamie Morris was a sf member still none of us would know who Martin brown is
    yes meant Browne. Possibly right on Morris.
    Lowry may not have been convicted in court but tribunal findings and what everyone knows anyway. Hes dodgy as ..... .
    Kelly is by distance most important td in the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it's better to be used for pumped hydro rather than as a national dump, as promoted years ago.

Advertisement