Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

We were right to retain it

Why? What's its function?
    Who did you vote for in the latest election for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    Why? What's its function?
    Who did you vote for in the latest election for it?
    I voted to keep it as removing it gives too much power to the Dail. A reformed Seanad allows for better governance and accountability towards decisions made in Parliament.
    Our Dáil needs oversight. In theory, the Seanad should provide this, serving as a means to keep power in check. In an ideal world the upper house would ensure that there would be no abuse of the democratic process, and it would protect the people from potentially harmful legislation. This would be the ideal, but the reality is much different.
    I voted to keep it in the belief that we could see it changed. That change has not occurred doesn't mean that we should get rid of it.

I think this abstaining from voting in the Dail is a total cop out...I didn't vote for Mattie,but if I had ,I wouldn't be impressed...He must be picking some splinters from his behind,from all the fences he sits on.We have a right government now..Mick Wallace sliding down his seat,out of boredom,during Fridays speeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

See AK47 has been unloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I think we can expect changes to the Seanad over time. It can be an ideal place to introduce new legislation and is a place we can use to help the Dail but it needs reform.
    How the panels are voted for needs to change. The franchise needs to be expanded to those with relevant experience and not simply tds, senators and county councillors. More of the nominating bodies members should have voting privileges

The Taoiseach, as in the case of some of his nominees should include people from various walks of life who have made an outstanding contribution to their chosen professions. This is not a new idea, former Taoisigh have done this in the past

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

rucksack wrote: »

Probably getting a bigger gun. He can afford to enjoy himself as a loose cannon in the Dail.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Xenophile wrote: »
    The Taoiseach, as in the case of some of his nominees should include people from various walks of life who have made an outstanding contribution to their chosen professions. This is not a new idea, former Taoisigh have done this in the past
    That is fine if our Taoiseach's did elect people who have made an outstanding contribution but that is clearly not the case in Irish politics and they have always used it for rewarding cronys and for getting favours back in return as was pretty evident with Catherine Zappone being the first one out of the traps to repay back the favour that Enda gifted to her in the last Senate.

Our politicians are not capable of using appointments to public offices that will not involve some sort of cronyism so it should be taken out of their hands

But they haven't done that in the majority of cases.
    The franchise for electing to the panels should be extended to people working with the nominating bodies so that people with expertise in certain areas could vote for the panel that should be essentially representing them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

rucksack wrote: »
    you mean comical al, its hard to keep a motormouth shut, he wont do muck sprouting now, he needs to be head of liebour now, otherwise how will he get any headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

please keep in mind its pinnochio who you speak of

• Advertisement

I voted to keep it as removing it gives too much power to the Dail. A reformed Seanad allows for better governance and accountability towards decisions made in Parliament.
    Our Dáil needs oversight. In theory, the Seanad should provide this, serving as a means to keep power in check. In an ideal world the upper house would ensure that there would be no abuse of the democratic process, and it would protect the people from potentially harmful legislation. This would be the ideal, but the reality is much different.
    I voted to keep it in the belief that we could see it changed. That change has not occurred doesn't mean that we should get rid of it.

I meant the Seanad vote 2 weeks ago not the referendum on the Seanad last year

I meant the Seanad vote 2 weeks ago not the referendum on the Seanad last year
    not eligible to vote for it yet. will be from september

in what way over the past decade has the dail's power been curbed by the seanad?
    How can the seanad be reformed to improve governance and accountability?
    Why does the dail need oversight?

I've had the opportunity to vote twice over the years.
    I spoiled my vote the first time. I'm not giving anyone a mandate to sit in a talking shop, wasting state resources that could be better spent on vital services.
    I just threw the last voting paper in the recycle bin
    Watching the vincent browne show with the candidates from my constituency would turn anyone off.

One of the most bizarre arguments is 'extend the franchise to everyone'
    have those people not noticed we've a dail...
    It's ridiculous that I can vote for it because I have a degree from a certain university. I'd respect the opinion of a few engineers from UL than arts in ucc!

Ian O' Doherty argued very well on tv and print for it's abolition....alas the electorate in their wisdom:rolleyes:

in what way over the past decade has the dail's power been curbed by the seanad?
    How can the seanad be reformed to improve governance and accountability?
    Why does the dail need oversight?

I've had the opportunity to vote twice over the years.
    I spoiled my vote the first time. I'm not giving anyone a mandate to sit in a talking shop, wasting state resources that could be better spent on vital services.
    I just threw the last voting paper in the recycle bin
    Watching the vincent browne show with the candidates from my constituency would turn anyone off.

One of the most bizarre arguments is 'extend the franchise to everyone'
    have those people not noticed we've a dail...
    It's ridiculous that I can vote for it because I have a degree from a certain university. I'd respect the opinion of a few engineers from UL than arts in ucc!

Ian O' Doherty argued very well on tv and print for it's abolition....alas the electorate in their wisdom:rolleyes:
    Having a tripartite system allows in theory for more accountability and a stronger legislature. Having another house of parliament reduces the power of the Dail which is a good thing. Seanad can be reformed with how people are elected. There is 5 panels yet only tds, senators, city/county councillors can vote to elect people on to them. The franchise to elect people to the panels should be extended to certain professionals with qualifications and expertise in the areas that the panel refers to.

flutered wrote: »
    please keep in mind its pinnochio who you speak of

Pinnochio has entertained people for generations and I am sure he has kept many of them out of trouble and perhaps even inspired them!

Having a tripartite system allows in theory for more accountability and a stronger legislature. Having another house of parliament reduces the power of the Dail which is a good thing. Seanad can be reformed with how people are elected. There is 5 panels yet only tds, senators, city/county councillors can vote to elect people on to them. The franchise to elect people to the panels should be extended to certain professionals with qualifications and expertise in the areas that the panel refers to.

How has a 'tripartite system' given us 'more accountability and a stronger legislature' since the foundation of the republic?

In what way has the dail too much power? Every adult can give it a mandate unlike the seanad. how has the seanad 'reduced the power of the dail' since the foundation of the republic?

I'm not a labour voter but Labour were shafted by fine gael over the water.
    fair play to kelly. I agree with his stance and fair play to Burton calling for refunds to those who complied with the law.

It's amazing even here how water has super-ceeded far more important issues
    and continues to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm not a labour voter but Labour were shafted by fine gael over the water.
    fair play to kelly. I agree with his stance and fair play to Burton calling for refunds to those who complied with the law.

It's amazing even here how water has super-ceeded far more important issues
    and continues to do so...

And Labour shafted Fine Gael when they told the public their manifest was to be returned to government with them.

That's the problem the attitude that water is above everything else that's a spin, it's not; of course there are bigger issues at hand but let them sweep one matter aside and excuses will be made to do so to the next.

Water has then bein used as a decoy by certain politicians to detract from issues when it suits then outgoing minister for health Leo Vradkar when cuts made to mental health the day he decided it was time to discuss water when interviewed by media...cop on!

Everyone complied with the law some people just paid extra, others do not have a contract with Irish water.

And Labour shafted Fine Gael when they told the public their manifest was to be returned to government with them.

That's the problem the attitude that water is above everything else that's a spin, it's not; of course there are bigger issues at hand but let them sweep one matter aside and excuses will be made to do so to the next.

Water has then bein used as a decoy by certain politicians to detract from issues when it suits then outgoing minister for health Leo Vradkar when cuts made to mental health the day he decided it was time to discuss water when interviewed by media...cop on!

Everyone complied with the law some people just paid extra, others do not have a contract with Irish water.

And the voters shafted both..but we still end up with Kenny at the helm..and a young lad in charge of health..I hope mattie doesnt have to lie on a trolly,while waiting for fence splinters,to be plucked from his behind..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Expunge

Looks like there's only one man to go and see in Tipperary if you need something done during the lifetime of this government and that is Michael Lowry T.D.

If you want sympathy at a relative's funeral then Mattie's your man.

If you want to rail against the injustice of (maybe) having to pay for services - not just your Sky Sports subscription - Seamus Healy will listen and empathize.

Upset at the collapse of the price of milk? Jackie Cahill will be upset along with you. Maybe you could draft a press release with him?

And if you want to learn how to strut like a peacock in time to the sound of the Village People's song 'Macho Man', then there is no better role model than Alan 'AK47' Kelly.

These four are Tits on a Bull for Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

And the voters shafted both..but we still end up with Kenny at the helm..and a young lad in charge of health..I hope mattie doesnt have to lie on a trolly,while waiting for fence splinters,to be plucked from his behind..

Yep madness isn't it, the Labour party affiliated Attorney general still remains in position too though must be an all Ireland arse cover-er for Enda no doubt. Simple Simon got that position for being a good lap dog and Leo Vrad needed to be taken down a few pegs, shouldn't be messing around with important roles for personal satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Expunge wrote: »
    Looks like there's only one man to go and see in Tipperary if you need something done during the lifetime of this government and that is Michael Lowry T.D.

If you want sympathy at a relative's funeral then Mattie's your man.

If you want to rail against the injustice of (maybe) having to pay for services - not just your Sky Sports subscription - Seamus Healy will listen and empathize.

Upset at the collapse of the price of milk? Jackie Cahill will be upset along with you. Maybe you could draft a press release with him?

And if you want to learn how to strut like a peacock in time to the sound of the Village People's song 'Macho Man', then there is no better role model than Alan 'AK47' Kelly.

These four are Tits on a Bull for Tipperary.

Well we'll be rightly fecked when Lowry is jailed so. Fortunately I'd rather eat my own liver with a spoon than ask him for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Expunge

I'd dare say Lowry will even be able to organize a new liver for ya!:)

Expunge wrote: »
    I'd dare say Lowry will even be able to organize a new liver for ya!:)

He's probably working with REDACTED on a new business venture to sell all our livers on the Chinese black market.

Alan Kelly is struggling to find a seconder in his bid to become Labour Leader, The word at the moment is that Brendan Howlin TD will be elected unopposed next week.

To elect a new leader without a contest would sound the death knell of the Irish Labour Party. Kelly might not win a contest but a least he should be given the opportunity of contesting it.

Howlin now over 60 is twice the age of Kelly and he does not possess the energy to rehabilate a Labour Party in need of so much reform and restructuring.

Alan Kelly is struggling to find a seconder in his bid to become Labour Leader, The word at the moment is that Brendan Howlin TD will be elected unopposed next week.

To elect a new leader without a contest would sound the death knell of the Irish Labour Party. Kelly might not win a contest but a least he should be given the opportunity of contesting it.

Howlin now over 60 is twice the age of Kelly and he does not possess the energy to rehabilate a Labour Party in need of so much reform and restructuring.

Not really surprising. Kelly is fast becoming the Donald Trump of Irish politics. He seems unstoppable but no one, especially his own party leadership, can work out how a man with so many nasty personality traits is so popular among certain elements of society.

It will be interesting to see what Kelly does if he fails to win the leadership. He has never been a real Labour man. They don't like him and he has only been in the party for what it can give him. I'd say his instinct will be to resign from the party immediately afterwards on the plinth outside Leinster house and steal the headlines from the new leader. But with three independents already in Tipp and Jackie Cahill apparently sitting quite close to the door in Fianna Fáil after running a largely independent campaign that hardly mentioned Fianna Fáil and now he sees Mattie McGrath flirting with a seemingly very willing Michael Martin Cahill is 50-50 to be in Fianna Fáil come the next election. He could walk soon if he doesn't get the agriculture spokesman gig in the reshuffle.

Kelly therefore really can't join the crowded independent ranks. The Social Democrats would be an obvious home but I can't see anyone in their ranks wanting Kelly. Could he be the next leader of RENUA. It wouldn't surprise me. There is an opening there. A swing to the right wouldn't bother him as he isn't exactly left wing anyway. He believes in power more than policy. A leadership tag, even in a single TD party, would get him a lot more slots on Sunday morning shows than being a backbencher in Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

No he isn't. Alan Kelly is 40 not 30. Enda is 65, Micheal Martin is 55, Brendan Howlin sits right in between them.

The trouble with Alan Kelly is that he isn't a people person. The average person doesn't like him, doesn't like his attitude and I think Touts has the right idea. I could see Alan Kelly spititng the dummy and leaving Labour just before Brendan Howlin comes out as Leader. If he's own party can stand him it says something about him, nothing positive

No he isn't. Alan Kelly is 40 not 30. Enda is 65, Micheal Martin is 55, Brendan Howlin sits right in between them.

I checked wiki and I stand corrected as regards their ages.

Date of Birth................Alan Kelly................13-07-75

Date of Birth...........Brendan Howlin.............09-05-56

19 years age difference.

More comment on the overall contest later.

Todays statement by Alan Kelly.

Former Minister Alan Kelly has said he is "satisfied" he will be a candidate in the contest to be the next leader of the Labour Party when formal nominations are made on Tuesday, and he described it as a "critical decision" for the party.

Speaking at Labour's centenary commemoration event in honour of their founder James Connolly, at Arbour Hill, Mr Kelly said: "There's a big challenge ahead for the party and we need to ensure that...our future is going to be a prosperous one."

In response to reports of him having trouble to secure a seconder, he said the process would only begin on Tuesday saying: "I don't think there'll be any issue in relation to the process for anyone who wants to stand, I don't think there's any issue there to be honest."

• Advertisement

All these TD's are the same,all cut from the same cloth..I bet you anything,that Leo fella will cut my pension..He is a dangerous bit of stuff..

Advertisement