Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

but1er wrote: »
    Smullen against a 3-3 bloke, McCourt’s opponent is 2-6, Redser’s opponent 15-9, Crosbie vs 3-2, Kiely vs 3-4, Moore vs 8-4. The main event Gallagher vs 6-3.

Their ye go whelo79 all cans.
    The records of the Irish lads aren't too different mostly, Redmond is 14-7 fighting a 15-9 opponent for example. That being said they have likely been given favourable fights anyway since Bellator invested heavily in Irish fighters last year so they were always going to do this, they don't want them all to lose on the first show with so many Irish fighters on it. Just look at my post about the 0-12 fighter from earlier to see how much Bellator care about records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

but1er wrote: »
    Smullen against a 3-3 bloke, McCourt’s opponent is 2-6, Redser’s opponent 15-9, Crosbie vs 3-2, Kiely vs 3-4, Moore vs 8-4. The main event Gallagher vs 6-3.

Their ye go whelo79 all cans.

Smullen (3-1) against a 3-3 bloke, McCourt’s (1-1) opponent is 2-6, Redser’s (14-7 and is Team Ryano, not SBG) opponent 15-9, Crosbie (5-0) vs 3-2, Kiely (2-1) vs 3-4, Moore (8-2) vs 8-4. The main event Gallagher (7-1) vs 6-3.

A bit more perspective on it with the Irish fighters records imputed. Crosbie and Gallagher are the only ones lopsided in my opinion and they are not that far off.

What do you want? Them all against 4-0, 6-1, 7-0, 10-1 fighters?? No SBG fighter listed there has more than 8 (Gallagher has 8, next is Crosbie with 5) pro fights (I'm not counting Moore, he fights out of FAI and not SBG but he has been training with SBG lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whoops, had to delete my earlier post as I got Brian and Karl Moore mixed up, but the records aren't that mismatched really in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Smullen (3-1) against a 3-3 bloke, McCourt’s (1-1) opponent is 2-6, Redser’s (14-7 and is Team Ryano, not SBG) opponent 15-9, Crosbie (5-0) vs 3-2, Kiely (2-1) vs 3-4, Moore (8-2) vs 8-4. The main event Gallagher (7-1) vs 6-3.

A bit more perspective on it with the Irish fighters records imputed. Crosbie and Gallagher are the only ones lopsided in my opinion and they are not that far off.

What do you want? Them all against 4-0, 6-1, 7-0, 10-1 fighters?? No SBG fighter listed there has more than 8 (Gallagher has 8, next is Crosbie with 5) pro fights (I'm not counting Moore, he fights out of FAI and not SBG but he has been training with SBG lately.

Even more perspective:

- Smullen's opponent has had 1 fight in BAMMA (a first round TKO loss) and his best win is at Cage Legacy level. Smullen was recently on TUF and fought in the UFC.

- Leah McCourt's opponent has 1 win since 2011 and has lost her lost 5, all by sub or finish.

- Redser's opponent has, in fairness, fought and won in Bellator but has spent the majority of his career fighting in the world renowned Full Contact Contender and Budo Fight Championships also losing 2 of his 3 fights in Brave, while Redser himself has fought at UFC level and won fights in KSW, Bellator and BAMMA.

- Karl Moore's opponent has lost his last 3, 2 of which he was KO'd in and 1 in which he was submitted.

- Kiely's opponent is a 38 year old on a 4 fight losing streak who has fought in promotions of such a poor level that it's not even worth discussing. It's an utter joke of a matchup and shouldn't have been sanctioned.

No one is expecting them to be matched up against killers, but these are clearly extremely favourable, some bordering on ridiculous, matchups for the home fighters. No doubt they'll all win and we'll be hearing rubbish about how it was another special night for Irish MMA comparing it to McGregor vs Brandao.

I have my ticket and will be there cheering the lads on anyway, but this card makes most boxing undercards look competitive.

Paully D wrote: »
    - Kiely's opponent is a 38 year old on a 4 fight losing streak who has fought in promotions of such a poor level that it's not even worth discussing. It's an utter joke of a matchup and shouldn't have been sanctioned.
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know who is regulating this? Who are the commission for Irish mma events?

• Advertisement

Even more perspective:

- Smullen's opponent has had 1 fight in BAMMA (a first round TKO loss) and his best win is at Cage Legacy level. Smullen was recently on TUF and fought in the UFC.

- Leah McCourt's opponent has 1 win since 2011 and has lost her lost 5, all by sub or finish.

- Redser's opponent has, in fairness, fought and won in Bellator but has spent the majority of his career fighting in the world renowned Full Contact Contender and Budo Fight Championships also losing 2 of his 3 fights in Brave, while Redser himself has fought at UFC level and won fights in KSW, Bellator and BAMMA.

- Karl Moore's opponent has lost his last 3, 2 of which he was KO'd in and 1 in which he was submitted.

No one is expecting them to be matched up against killers, but these are clearly extremely favourable, some bordering on ridiculous, matchups for the home fighters. No doubt they'll all win and we'll be hearing rubbish about how it was another special night for Irish MMA comparing it to McGregor vs Brandao.

I have my ticket and will be there cheering the lads on anyway, but this card makes most boxing undercards look competitive.

It's favorable match making alright, as you get in many promotions for the hometown fighters, but I wouldn't call any of them ridiculous. Kiely has no MMA experience outside of his BAMMA fights.

Absolutely the intention is that the majority of Irish lads will win and it will set Bellator up for a return visit and bigger crowds.

Autecher wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know who is regulating this? Who are the commission for Irish mma events?

Safe MMA Ireland sanction all fights here as far as I am aware. Dr Dan Healy is the man behind all the brain scans, which are the major factor for allowing a fighter to compete here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Whelo79 wrote: »

Both Moore and Redmond seem to be fully with SBG now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Both Moore and Redmond seem to be fully with SBG now.

Paul Redmond with SGB?

I think not.

John Redmond is with SGB.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Paul Redmond with SGB?

I think not.

John Redmond is with SGB.

Its john were talking about isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Its john were talking about isnt it?

Paul is the one facing a 15-9 opponent and he said Redmond was at Ryano. So it's Paul that Whelo was talking about.

Paul is the one that was quoted but John is also on the card and made a big deal about his move from Ryano to SBG last year.

I've seen Moore training at SBG a lot but haven't seen anything specific mentioned about it so I don't know if it's a permanent or temporary move from FAI. I suppose we'll know soon enough when it comes to any interviews or who is in his corner.

Norman Parke has joined the bareknuckle boxing promotion. I've no memory of him being great with his hands but I hope for his sake I am wrong.

The Dublin Bellator show must be selling extremely well.

I went on to Ticketmaster earlier to check and they only had cageside seats and singles in the normal seats left.

Will they open up the whole arena for this with that in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Dublin Bellator show must be selling extremely well.

I went on to Ticketmaster earlier to check and they only had cageside seats and singles in the normal seats left.

Will they open up the whole arena for this with that in mind?

Just till the week of and half of SBG will be selling tickets for less than face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Jon Fitch vs Rory MacDonald happening in April. Decent fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dulux99 wrote: »
    Jon Fitch vs Rory MacDonald happening in April. Decent fight.

Not sure what’s appealing about that fight at all.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure what’s appealing about that fight at all.

Theres rarely a fitch fight to get excited about but hes on a streak against the other top guys in the division. A fight that probavly had to be made at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Lads has Charlie ward retired or is he injured or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

bono_v wrote: »

He's throwing down at bellator soon I think...A man at his peak like that shouldn't retire.

Really like the Bellator card tomorrow, they do a cracking job of putting together cards with a bit of everything. I'll always be excited to see Fedor fight, Pico has a real test and Ricky Bandejas fighting too, along with Jack Swagger for the craic. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just saw this pic of Jake Hager/Jack Swagger and his opponent.

Made me laugh but who knows what will happen!

DxyMtDRXgAAOt7-.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

0-1 as a pro, 1-3 as an amateur.

Bellator love giving lads tomato cans to fight.

Just saw this pic of Jake Hager/Jack Swagger and his opponent.

Made me laugh but who knows what will happen!

DxyMtDRXgAAOt7-.jpg

That's feckin hilarious. The absolute state of your man. I'm sure he fixed my boiler a few weeks ago.

bono_v wrote: »
    Neither, he is fighting on the Bellator Dublin card next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lads is bellator on paramount UK tomorrow ? Was hoping to get it through other channels on my sky box

ricero wrote: »
    Lads is bellator on paramount UK tomorrow ? Was hoping to get it through other channels on my sky box

It's not, it's on tape delay Sunday night on 5uk. It's 2019 and Bellator are still putting things on tape delay over this side of the water. Shambles really. I'll be torrenting it the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dulux99 wrote: »
    It's not, it's on tape delay Sunday night on 5uk. It's 2019 and Bellator are still putting things on tape delay over this side of the water. Shambles really. I'll be torrenting it the next morning.

Jasus what a ****ing farce of a promotion.

Can't be arsed streaming this I shall watch on Sunday morning so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The White Feather

ricero wrote: »

It will be on.......but SUNDAY night!! Stupid Bellator again :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/ScottCoker/status/1088903592365285376

Advertisement