Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Cowley doesnt sound lke the sort if wait 12-18 months sort of bloke.

Someone is blowing smoke up his arse.

Well Kavanagh said he's a special fighter on the way to the UFC so I suppose you'd have to start there.

It's got to be a bit embarrassing as a Coach when you're a high-level Black Belt in BJJ and your fighter just goes out and gets mauled on the ground in 2 minutes - especially after hyping him up.

He needs time OR a match-up with another pure striker on the local scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Cheers to those posting finishes. Not able to watch it myself so please keep them coming!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/863097060869931008

Kavangh must have these saved to drafts for everytime one the lads out the gym loses.

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/863097060869931008

Kavangh must have these saved to drafts for everytime one the lads out the gym loses.

What did they learn exactly? Not to throw a talented striker into a pro-MMA contest when he still has very basic jiujitsu?

That lesson was learned by Conor losing to Sitenkov and Duffy, to the point it was written about in a book!

Definition of insanity - doing the same things over and over but expecting a different result.

Stream has gone haywire for me here? unwatchable.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Stream has gone haywire for me here? unwatchable.

It's on telly at 9 is it? Paddy and John are co-presenting it apparently.

Yeah stream never showed the last fight, hope the Geordie shore guy gets wrecked very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ok completely dumb question for you, Marcos, Mellor etc

Would even a white or blue belt not know you must roll to the right in that situation?

I only watch BJJ but even I knew he had to roll to his right.

It's easy for me to say as a blue belt that everyone learns you roll to the lock side to put pressure on his ankle and start your escape while making sure you fight the hands, but mma is different than straight bjj, there's more to think about, you're hand fighting, trying to make sure you're bot getting punched in the face and trying to get to the lock side to break the triangle.

At the same time, he looked very, very poor on the ground and if I was his coach I'd be having him roll with the likes of Pritt or Tom King or even Richie and Joey, non stop, for about 6 months and make him earn at least his blue belt in the meantime. He just doesn't seem to understand grappling at all.

Yep hadnt even got the right frames, you cannot replicate a fight in the gym obviously when your talking about ground and pound ect but anyone training 2 years now should be able to defend themselves a bit better, anyways its not the end of the world only a prelim fight at start of his career,

Bamma goes live on Dave now.

Is this streaming online somewhere lads? Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paddy seems overdressed

Barnett is a good fighter he wrecked Rhys McKee in Belfast looking forward to him here, great clinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Barnett did well to get the finish. Thought he was in trouble early on but he kept cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It's easy for me to say as a blue belt that everyone learns you roll to the lock side to put pressure on his ankle and start your escape while making sure you fight the hands, but mma is different than straight bjj, there's more to think about, you're hand fighting, trying to make sure you're bot getting punched in the face and trying to get to the lock side to break the triangle.

At the same time, he looked very, very poor on the ground and if I was his coach I'd be having him roll with the likes of Pritt or Tom King or even Richie and Joey, non stop, for about 6 months and make him earn at least his blue belt in the meantime. He just doesn't seem to understand grappling at all.

How much improvement can he make in 6 months?

Do you think he could have done more to fight the choke near the end? The squeeze started at 2:22 and he tapped at 2:21. Obviously I'm not saying he should have done a Holly and gone unconscious but some people online are saying there was still escapes possible.

How much improvement can he make in 6 months?

Do you think he could have done more to fight the choke near the end? The squeeze started at 2:22 and he tapped at 2:21. Obviously I'm not saying he should have done a Holly and gone unconscious but some people online are saying there was still escapes possible.

You can improve a lot in 6 months if your base is that poor, especially with the calibre of coaches in SBG to help you out and people like Makwan, Gunni, Tom, Pritt, Joey, etc, to roll with.

By the time it was under the chin it was over, very few people would save it from there, but the point is, as Kurt Osiander would say, he "f*cked up a long time ago", he let it get to the point where there was no saving it bu being absolutely ****e on the ground. Focusing on how long he did or didn't fight after the squeeze is pointless, one it's in, it's in and you're not getting out, the point is to focus on making sure you don't make it that bloody easy for someone to get a choke that clean and deep on you in the first place.

2 on 1, fight the choking arm, roll to lock side to pur pressure on ankle, don't give your back so easily in the first place, etc,etc,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

I remember maybe 9 months ago where JK was saying he still manages some fighters on top of coaching, I think John Phillips and James Gallagher were mentioned.

Can't find the article so I could be dead wrong (again!) but I suppose it's possible he manages Cowley? I've no idea obviously. Just speculating for reasons why he might have hyped him up so much for this contest.

To be fair, Cowley started Jiujitsu with SBG in June 2015 so they did give him a good 2 years to try get some level of ability, so it's not like they threw a complete novice on the ground into the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement

No Kavanagh doesnt manage him, heard him asking for sponsors and to contact his manager and mentioned a womans name, it looked like he hadnt done 6 months of grappling tonight never mind 2 years he couldnt even do a hip escape/shrimp when side controlled, anyways I hope he hits the mats and gets some grappling in for a few months,

Gallagher getting highlight reeled next by Machida would be another reality check I can see coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭finglashoop

darced wrote: »
    He doesn't look like someone at it two years, that is plenty of time training every day to get solid defensively. I watched his vlogs earlier and it was really mad stuff about how much he would earn, how no-one only his SBG team mates have his mind-set, how the next wave were going to be bigger than Conor etc. etc. then he gets beat in 2 minutes by a pro debutante. I can't understand the need to put himself out there like that, what the feck is he thinking now the poor bugger.

The talk is easy

But they all seem to stumble when its time to walk.

I hope for his own sake he doesn't try copy Conor with a mad long Instagram or facebook post about how he's not afraid to take challenges and will never shy away from adversity.

Right on cue:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAT3FrlPvC/?taken-by=cian_c&hl=en
    Write me off, I see it all and I will remember it all in a few year. But just remember when I come back soon yous will all still be tuning in to watch me. Iv never shyed away from anything or anyone in my life Iv put myself into it all I'm no ****e bag. An Injury is not the excuse for the pussys saying that. A fight is a fight I was beating fair and square. See everyone soon thank you all for the support through everything real ones only

Part of the reason people had so much respect for what Conor and Dominick Cruz said after their losses is that they both truly faced adversity in their careers - between them they've torn 3 ACL's and that's a long, uncertain road to recovery.

To both come back from that and become UFC Champions shows true balls and for both to then handle a Title loss with such grace and humility showed what they're made of.

Whereas writing this big spiel for a pro-debut loss after he talked himself up as the dogs bollocks... just seems sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whereas writing this big spiel for a pro-debut loss after he talked himself up as the dogs bollocks... just seems sad.

Agree, should just shut the **** up and get back to training.

In saying that, "I'm no ****e bag" may accidentally have been the greatest piece of smack talk ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok completely dumb question for you, Marcos, Mellor etc

Would even a white or blue belt not know you must roll to the right in that situation?

I only watch BJJ but even I knew he had to roll to his right.
    Rolling to the left takes some of the pressure off the bodylock. But it's not an escape, he'd still have a fighter on his back, choking him out. In the end his opponent moved him to the right, towards the lock, because it put him deeper into the choke.

As for how much somebody can improve in 6 months. Jumping in full time, a brand new white belt could become a blue belt in 6 months.
    Ive no idea how much work he did on his grappling. I do t know it he looked bad because he's a white belt, or because his opponent (who's a pro fighter) made he look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i suppose not having your head coach in your training camp for you pro debut wouldnt exactly help either.

from all those vlogs ive seen with him he seems to basically training himself. I know personally if that was me, i wouldnt hav that, no way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is kicking off in 10mins
    scudzilla wrote: »
    EFC 59 live from South Africa tomorrow night, main card starts at 8 our time, an old friend from back home, Azi Thomas is opening the main card in a title eliminator

watch here http://www.efcworldwide.tv/

card here http://www.efcworldwide.com/events/efc59/efc_worldwide_fightcard.php#topage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bellator this friday anyone know what time its on at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

It looks like Spike UK aren't showing the whole thing live

http://www.channel5.com/show/spike-fight-night-2017-bellator/

It's only listed for 1 hour show from 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Advertisement