Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I'm glad you brought up Naughty Dog games - which you feel is a more appropriate comparison - because NG make linear games that somehow feel less restrictive than RDR2 in its main campaign, mainly because the only auto fails are death. If you want to walk around and explore for a bit or even just not move Nathan Drake in Uncharted, the game won't punish you for it. So no, I'm afraid using the, "it's a story driven game!" as an excuse for the RDR2's main campaign being ridiculously linear doesn't work because other games I have mentioned, including NG games, are very much story driven (are you going to pretend the Witcher 3 isn't story driven for the sake of proving a point?) and yet do freedom in gameplay better.

Also, if you're having to compare an open world game to a linear one that in itself shows something is wrong. I play open world games for the open world. It is entirely reasonable to expect more freedom as to how the player approaches a mission when the open world does it so well. Therefore, RDR2 doesn't need to "mirror the likes of other games", it should look to its own as an example. It doesn't mean Arthur has to go completely off course but you shouldn't be auto failed merely for stepping off your horse to pick a plant either, that's extreme.

Years ago, Ubisoft used to make players desync in AC if you didn't follow the path the ancestor took but that in itself has a narrative reason - you were replaying memories, and even then it was far less restrictive than RDR2. The devs eventually found a way to make it less linear by turning what used to be a requirement into optional objectives while still making the campaign guided. And don't tell me ACII isn't a story/character driven game. Your excuse that narrative structure impedes gameplay freedom is nonsense because other devs find a way to make both work.

I'm not referring to hunting, fishing or the mechanics that get repeated - I'm aware that there are repeated mechanics obviously. I'm referring to the ones that DON'T i.e. the context sensitive actions which are numerous throughout the campaign. Uncharted has context sensitive actions too but the controls are always the same - either tap triangle or push with circle, making it easy to play the game without HUD because you don't have to look at the top of the screen for instructions every 5 seconds. I didn't think that needed spelling out or clarifying but here we are.

You say you're not a R* fanboy but you certainly sound like one with your defensive overprotection of the game when it's not needed, as I enjoyed the game overall despite some very obvious flaws.

Lol who pissed in your soup lad? Since when is challenging someone's points suddenly classified as defensive overprotection? Don't post on public forums if you don't want your opinions challenged. My defense of the game isn't needed? As I said I don't like the game, but my critique on your opinion is just as needed as your original points were...that's how public discussion works...can't engage in critical discussion then don't post in the first place. I could just as easy say you sound like an over offensive Rockstar detractor what with your hyperbole and intolerance.

Your "my way or the high way" attitude is perhaps best exemplified by saying something is wrong if I have to compare open world games to linear games. You obviously have a certain expectation of what an open world game for be and are completely intolerant it ses lof any deviation from your expectations. To you it should mean player agency and freedom to tackle things how you see fit whereas Mafia 2 and Sleeping Dogs, perhaps my two favourite open world games ever, were extremely linear when it came to gameplay freedom in critical path missions. In fact Mafia 2 is perhaps one of the most linear games I've ever played, but also one of the best examples of the genre (IMO).

It's a different style of storytelling which bleeds through into the gameplay, it's not inherently bad just because it doesn't align with your expectations. I didn't say RDR being a story driven game was an excuse for it being linear, my point is that they aren't trying to mimic the points of contrast you keep pointing to. Is it perhaps a tad excessive sometimes? maybe, but you're getting on like it's a constant issue, when I know that returning to camp with a tasty kill on my horse after completing a main mission was a regular occurrence for me, so obviously the game isn't as constantly restrictive as you make it out to be, with it only really cropping up when Rockstar felt the narrative required it. And hey if you keep getting caught by auto fails, learn from your mistakes and just go with the narrative as intended. As you point out, there is a whole world out there that promotes agency and freedom, go off and do that if that's what you want and come back to the critical path when you're ready to go with the flow and with the tighter core experience that the main game provides. I mean as you say, you play open world games for the open world, so what's the problem when the narrative reigns in the scope? The multitude of distractions and reasons to explore after the mission is done still exist.

Also your insistence on using the Witcher 3 as a contrast doesn't hold much weight with me. Outside of branching narrative, the actual main missions of the Witcher 3 were extremely linear when it came to main quests.

Anyway, I doubt we will see eye to eye on this so best to just draw a line under it. You seem to think me countering your points makes me a RDR fanboy (go back and read my previous posts on the game, I believe my previous post was along the lines of calling it one of the most overrated games I've ever played....total fanboy right?). No point in engaging in dialogue with someone who reverts to the fanboy remark because they don't like to have their points challenged.

Project much? It's you rather who seems to have a problem with differing opinions on this forum which is why you were crying in the Final Fantasy thread when I said the controls in FF were awkward. Yes, I recognised your whingey tone and went back to that thread and surprise, surprise it was you. :rolleyes: In that very thread, it was only when I said I was enjoying the game overall that you calmed down. :D You also brought up Witcher 3 for no good reason. In fact, you seem to be hung up on Witcher 3. What happened? Did CDPR hurt your dog or something? :D

Your response comes across like a self-absorbed snowflake who doesn’t understand that different people have different tastes and you seem to think that someone’s dislike of one aspect of a game is “intolerance” lol. Um, no people like and dislike different things. Deal with it.

You throw around words like "critical discussion" because you think it makes you sound clever but you clearly don't understand what critical discussion is, mainly because your argument is based purely on emotion (i.e. your aggro that someone doesn’t like something you do), rather than logic and reasoning. You are free to critique anybody's opinion but there is a way of doing it that doesn't come across as overly defensive and angry which you have yet to master, “lad” (talk about ignorant). Yes, I will continue to post even though it hurts your feelings so no point urging me not to lol.

You talk about “mimic the points of contrast” but you shot yourself in the foot earlier by referring NG games as a more apt comparison because that’s an example of a linear, story focused game that I think does it right, especially Uncharted 4. My issue is simply that RDR2 doesn’t nail the balance between story and gameplay in the main campaign. You either don’t understand that (even though it’s been explained over and over) or being willfully obtuse in order to continue venting. I didn’t say that form of story telling is inherently bad, I just said that Rockstar didn’t do it well. Comprehend. And yes, you can explore the open world after doing the main missions but it’s a time saver to grab bits and bobs while you’re doing the mission.

Yes, run along and whinge at someone else for the next inevitable opinion you find offensive. I'm done with you.

Lol You're actually gas. So I asked a genuine question to see what your issues were with the controls in FFXV....and that's crying? How insecure are you? Blimey governor, you really don't like anybody questioning your opinion do you. It was a genuine question out of interest you absolute princess. I'm completely open to the fact that people like and dislike different things, hence why I pulled you up on expressing your opinion on how am open world game should play as if it was objectively true.

Funny how the ones who throw about the term snowflake are always the most precious little divas isn't it...almost always the elitist ejits trying to mask their own insecurity at being challenged who sling it about, never a good look and it almost always comes across like they're describing themselves.

Oh and BTW, I've no dog, so no need to worry about anybody hurting it, appreciate the concern for the hypothetical pooch though, maybe you're not such a bad lad after all ;)

lol so it looks like you've been accused of being a snowflake before. :D That's surprising. Not. If you call whinging about how the critique of the controls is unfair because of how the Witcher has similar controls asking a "genuine question" then sure, let's pretend that's real. :D You are also soooo not open to the idea that people like and dislike different things no matter how much you protest lol. The fact that you're so insecure as to worry that I think my opinion is objectively true when it's fairly obvious that it's down to taste is full snowflake. Maybe you should find a safe space to crawl into...

Lol I literally said I was curious as to how you thought the controls were nonsense cause to me they were pretty similar to the Witcher, albeit with a button flipped. As I said, it was a legitimate query as to what your issue was (cause you know, I'm interested in considering differing viewpoints) and frankly it's hilarious that you're so desperate to have your points go unchallenged that you think that's whinging. But sure keep manipulating things to fit you're little narrative.

If you think that is whinging, then mammy and daddy have let you live a very sheltered life, poor people must be flat out lifting your toys off the ground what with your fondness of throwing them outta the pram!

Anyway, I thought you were done with me chappy ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Enough of this please, take the bickering to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I like fluting about on my horse with not much to do a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Unfortunately had a couple of my ps4 games robbed during the week, by some subtle heure while having a party

Not missing red dead though cause he only took the data disc since the play disc was in the ps4

Are ye putting a posse together? I'm off work Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shiminay wrote: »
    Same. I bought GTA VI on PC after having it on Console, but I won't be doing the same with RDR2, it wasn't a great game.

Are you from the future? Is it any good? I heard there was 6 playable characters in it, can you confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Are you from the future? Is it any good? I heard there was 6 playable characters in it, can you confirm?

Better question what's Wednesdays lotto numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did they ever fix HDR on this, or at least allow it to be turned off?
    Haven't played since before the turn of the year, but see articles from May saying it was patched, but still not great!

Anyone first hand experience? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Haven't played since before the turn of the year, but see articles from May saying it was patched, but still not great!

What was the problem? Played this when it was first released on a One X with HDR Tv and don't remember noticing any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

marcbrophy wrote: »

No. Serious missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What was the problem? Played this when it was first released on a One X with HDR Tv and don't remember noticing any issues.

I don't want to be a nit-picky bastard, but it was very washed out colour wise and an analysis from Digital Foundry found that it was just a normal SD image made brighter :)
    No. Serious missed opportunity.

Pity, wonder if it'll be any better on the PC? Though I don't want to shell out full price again, plus my monitor doesn't support HDR so I'd have to plug it into the TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

What is the difference between online and story mode for red dead 2

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Minime2.5 wrote: »

*Unfollows thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

*Unfollows thread!

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Story mode is the classic style where you play on your own agains the computer which is most following story missions etc.

Online is playing with real players through the internet and has less of a story narrative.

The game comes with both when you buy it either way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How is this holding up on Pc?

Sold my console along with this game and want to buy it again. Was incredible. But I’m hearing it’s a bit buggy and busted on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Horse that I had spent a decent bit on got killed by a hacker... Opened a ticket with Rockstar, what are my chances of them helping me out? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Horse that I had spent a decent bit on got killed by a hacker... Opened a ticket with Rockstar, what are my chances of them helping me out? :mad:

You can't lose a horse you own online.

Open player menu and go down to stables, $4 to get horse back if you've not got insurance or free if you do.

On single player you can lose one but online is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads has this been streamlined at all on pc?

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    You can't lose a horse you own online.

Open player menu and go down to stables, $4 to get horse back if you've not got insurance or free if you do.

On single player you can lose one but online is different.

Yeah found that out when I went to the stables to buy a new one :) Thanks!

Lads has this been streamlined at all on pc?

I’m finding it pretty good, I didn’t own it on console. Haven’t come across any major bugs and today was the only time I’ve come across a hacker. He teleported me and loads of other players into a house and basically blew the whole thing up.

Made some serious money too with the collector role following an online loot map. I do get random disconnects from the servers which is fairly annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I’m finding it pretty good, I didn’t own it on console. Haven’t come across any major bugs and today was the only time I’ve come across a hacker. He teleported me and loads of other players into a house and basically blew the whole thing up.

Made some serious money too with the collector role following an online loot map. I do get random disconnects from the servers which is fairly annoying though

I have had some server mission which has meant having to replay that long annoying mission where I need to free Lem or whatever he's called.

Was playing online and jumped into single player again to do some stuff.

Bought the lemat revolver/shotgun combo which is new and comes from online into SP, but also bought the M1899 handgun which apparently unlocks after you finish chapter 3 and only bought from the St Denis gunsmith. Been there the whole time and didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Varik wrote: »
    Was playing online and jumped into single player again to do some stuff.

Bought the lemat revolver/shotgun combo which is new and comes from online into SP, but also bought the M1899 handgun which apparently unlocks after you finish chapter 3 and only bought from the St Denis gunsmith. Been there the whole time and didn't know.

I completed the game on release and never bought a gun ever. Just used what ever one he was carrying. Never cleaned a gun either/or maintained one.

What's the chances of getting SP DLC? Probably slim going by GTA V but you never know. I have no figures or even played much online so this is pure guess but imo RDR 2 online is doing no where as good as GTA V online so they may look into releasing single player DLC to gain some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I completed the game on release and never bought a gun ever. Just used what ever one he was carrying. Never cleaned a gun either/or maintained one.

What's the chances of getting SP DLC? Probably slim going by GTA V but you never know. I have no figures or even played much online so this is pure guess but imo RDR 2 online is doing no where as good as GTA V online so they may look into releasing single player DLC to gain some money.

Dunno possibly a bit late now for DLC but I'd love Undead Nightmare, touched online once or twice for a couple of hours doesn't play well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

R* were asked about this a while ago and said they are 100 percent focused on Online.

There's story missions in online for main quest & for the professions, just you're character is doing their best impressions of Claude. Some of the items have been added to SP. Bunch of missions too with other major characters, you can do a few for bonnie macfarlane and such.

Advertisement