Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Jon Unimportant Compass

Looking forward to the clocks changing and the darker evenings, will get back into this then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is launching on PC on 5th November. At least pc lads can mod in faster horses and an actual fast travel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I spent about a week in real time up north trying to catch that poxy arabian horse. I didn't know it at the time but it was destroying the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is launching on PC on 5th November.

More like December when you read the small print on the linked press announcement...

unknown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, gross margin per store:

Rockstar Launcher: 95%
    Epic Games Store: 88%
    Steam: 70%

If people want the game on Steam earlier, they should get on at them to cut their 30% margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id imagie there will be a minority of people disappointed in this game on PC as there was on console.

All that hype,myself included,and the game turned out to be very average and boring to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to it. Will probably wait for the Steam release.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Same. I bought GTA VI on PC after having it on Console, but I won't be doing the same with RDR2, it wasn't a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If people want the game on Steam earlier, they should get on at them to cut their 30% margin.

It already drops to 25 and 20% at larger sales figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

TheChrisD wrote: »
    It already drops to 25 and 20% at larger sales figures...

Still double what Epic take. Let Steam match it if they're serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id imagie there will be a minority of people disappointed in this game on PC as there was on console.

All that hype,myself included,and the game turned out to be very average and boring to me.

The issues with the game can't be fixed with a port.
    It already looks great even on console, the story (for the most part) is good but the missions are Rockstar's most unimaginative yet, the controls feel an entire gen behind the times & riding across the overly large map on horseback to get to the next mission markers loses its charm after 20 hours.
    I'm glad I finished it when it was out as I could be part of the conversation about it then, I didn't have much of it spoiled & I think if I stopped playing half way through I'd never have gone back to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

ERG89 wrote: »
    The issues with the game can't be fixed with a port.
    It already looks great even on console, the story (for the most part) is good but the missions are Rockstar's most unimaginative yet, the controls feel an entire gen behind the times & riding across the overly large map on horseback to get to the next mission markers loses its charm after 20 hours.
    I'm glad I finished it when it was out as I could be part of the conversation about it then, I didn't have much of it spoiled & I think if I stopped playing half way through I'd never have gone back to finish it.

That’s what happened to me. I just felt the game was long winded and cumbersome so I stopped halfway through.

I think the game suffers from trying to be far too realistic, and it ends up being less fun and more sluggish than RDR1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Would red dead redemption on line be suitable for a 12 year old? All his mates are playing it...

No...

Would it not be the case that the violence and profanity are removed from the campaign so jusr coop gameplay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, gross margin per store:

Rockstar Launcher: 95%
    Epic Games Store: 88%
    Steam: 70%

30% is in line with all other storefronts and it also pays for the servers running all the steam works functionality. The epics gamestore margins is not sustainable and is only temporary according to epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sticker wrote: »

Rated not suitable for anyone for being crushingly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    30% is in line with all other storefronts and it also pays for the servers running all the steam works functionality. The epics gamestore margins is not sustainable and is only temporary according to epic.
    FWIW the question of the sustainability of the current split appears to have come from a misrepresentation of a Twitter comment from Sweeney regarding the additional processing fees applied to some transactions in territories with limited payment method options available. It got picked up by some folk on Reddit at the time and seems to have grown legs since.

He's since commented on the 12% figure again making it very clear it's their permanent revenue sharing rate. There's practically no wiggle room in that statement either so he's opened himself to some perfectly legitimate criticism, even if operating costs were to rise in the future.

There's an interesting debate to be had about whether developers should be forced to eat the full 30% cost of running the additional services Steam offer which take them from a mere storefront to a platform but I'd rather not drag this thread off topic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Would red dead redemption on line be suitable for a 12 year old? All his mates are playing it...

If all his mates are playing it, let him at it. They will be talking about it anyway. So long as he knows it’s a cartoon and not real life what’s the problem.

Unless he’s some kind of mentaller that will start killing horses because he seen it on Telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The thing is with Rockstar it feels like the people who make the open world and the people who make the actual missions are two different companies. Every single mission in a Rockstar game feels like a tutorial for mechanics you'll never use again, they don't implement any of the basic controls that you do in the open world and are far too linear. I think that flaw becomes apparent when you have devs like CDPR coming out and doing great stuff.

This is slightly hyperbolic to say the least. The majority of Rockstar missions boil down to travel to X location, engage in combat scenario, done. If there is mechanics brought in then dropped, it's usually to add some cinematic flair to the missions (see the alligator attack mission for example). At their core, Rockstar make third person action games with tightly scripted narratives, so comparing Rockstar to a dev like CDPR who make RPGs which allow for build diversity and have a much bigger focus on branching narratives etc. is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

Variety in mechanics is a very strange criticism to level at a game. If anything I'd say one of the biggest issues I had with RDR2 was too many one dimensional missions that revolved round the monotonous gunplay. I mean you say every single mission ina Rockstar game revolves around mechanics you never use again....I dont even know where to start with that, considering the first ten hours are basically a tutorial for the things you will be doing for the rest of the game.

I'm no Rockstar fanboy, in fact I hated RDR2, but your take on the game and Rockstar in general seems strange.

Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Online is terrible, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone tbh. It's an 18+(16+) game. If you want to expose your 12 year old to any of the following:

- Tying a character up and feeding them to a crocodile and watching it devour.
    - Laying them on train tracks and watching the train mangle.
    - See what a shotgun does at close range to a head.
    - Watch slowed down and dramatised animation of limbs getting dismembered by gunfire.

Sure listen to the reviews recommending it for -18's for how beautiful and detailed the game is if you want but be aware.
    I have a 11 year old child that asked for this game recently so I looked into it and was pushed away. There is horse genitalia but it is hardly noticeable and really adds to the experience since they shrink in the cold and get bigger in the heat. The skinning of animals has a detailed animation but in my opinion it adds to the experience. I let my son get the game and he absolutely loved it! He's played so much and I'm pretty happy about the purchase. This game does not have a battle royale mode which is a big down for my son, but it is still really fun. I was never really into video games but I tried playing it and had some fun. It has swearing but if your child is older than 11 they have definitely heard it at school and won't affect them if they are mature enough. It also reinforces the second amendment and is based in the wild west which can be a learning experience for your child. You are able to kill people which can be a turn off for some but again if your child is mature enough it won't matter.

Yeah sure... who probably got the bad language from a video game they should not have been playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Unfortunately had a couple of my ps4 games robbed during the week, by some subtle heure while having a party

Not missing red dead though cause he only took the data disc since the play disc was in the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

It's not hyperbole or a "strange" opinion.
    There are controls for mission specific tasks throughout that you never use again in the open world or even in the next campaign mission, causing you to constantly stare at the top left corner of the screen for instructions (or is it top right? Can't remember).

Yes, it would be like comparing apples to oranges if I was comparing Rockstar to CDPR in terms of narrative structure like you say but I wasn't... I was comparing in terms of freedom of gameplay. There are too many auto fails in the main missions for not playing it exactly as R* intended. You're following a gang member on a horse and spot rabbit 10 feet away. It takes 5 secs to shoot the rabbit and plonk it on the horse but the game is going to auto fail you for not riding with your gang member even though said gang member is right there beside you and there is no time limit. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Kassandra can get off her horse and her companion will wait for her before continuing.

Narrative structure and freedom of gameplay go hand in hand at times. My point is, Rockstar designed the main missions in RDR2 to be tightly scripted set pieces or narrative vehicles 99% of the time more in line with a naughty dog game, whereas AC is intended to let you have as much freedom as possible to get your to your objectives. If RDR2 wasn't an open world game, people wouldn't bat an eyelid at the linearity of the main quests, but because its open world, there is this expectation that player agency should mirror the likes of AC or a CDPR game when that isn't what they're going for in the slightest.

So yeah, comparing developers who are aiming for two entirely different experiences in terms of freedom gameplay is certainly comparing apples and oranges in my eyes. As I alluded to above, if you're looking for points of comparison for gameplay freedom, a developer such as naughty dog makes much more sense as they're aiming for the same thing on a cinematic level.

And I stand by saying that your original post was full of hyperbole. Yes their is context sensitive actions in some missions, but that's hardly a new concept for gaming, especially when your main missions are completely driven by narrative. But you said each mission serves as a tutorial for something you never do again, ignorant of the fact that there are many, many repeated mechanics that come up across various missions and open world activities throughout the game (hunting, fishing, cooking, crafting, combat etc.) in amongst those context sensitive actions you're carrying out.

Advertisement