Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Meal store open so far.

But no Marts till after Christmas at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

• Registered Users Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is funds in client accounts. Cheques were begining to be delayed in sending them out. Looks like they were giving excessive lines of credit to some buyers.

Fair at to the regulatory

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Must have been coming a good while,as a local competing mart manager told me back in early spring that "what he's at there, can't last" i thought he was just running down the opposition competition & took little heed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

In this day and age there should be no need to provide credit for buyers of livestock with credit so cheap in the banks. Of these ppl can't get credit from a Bank then a mart shouldn't provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You have a valid point but it's not as simple to enact as you'd think especially if only certain marts do it. If you refuse credit to an individual then you're pushing him towards the competition and there's usually someone willing to take that gamble.

If the same individual starts purchasing in a different mart on the strength of this credit and helps underpin a better trade than what you're able to offer what happens? I can guarantee there'll be an exodus of your seller's to whatever mart is the dearest and they'll not worry about your honorable intentions only whatever the bottom line on the seller's statement reads.

I was often told to be a good auctioneer you have to be a judge of man and beast. I'd argue the same is true of mart managers. There's always going to be a certain amount of gambling involved and you have to deal with the merits of each individual case. Some lad's couldn't be trusted with a pet lamb on credit others will always honour the deal. Sometimes circumstances outside of anyone's control take place but it's usually the mart that's left holding the baby.

You can put up all the "No credit given" signs you want and insist upon payment on the day but if the competition down the road are a bit easier with the payment terms and therefore have more lads round the ring then you'll not be as busy as you were before. There's very little loyalty in the mart business from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

its like a chain ,the big marts give out credit to the big jobbers so to have extra demand and drive up cattle prices and extra cattle to sell as a result .Then to clear or lower their bill the jobbers land on more cattle that the mart manager have to puff on these cattle to lower as much as possible the credit given out ,can ye follow that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

I heard stuff in March that made me think the same, lots of people seemed to know about it.

Nothing stays secret in this business for any great length of time. I'd only be an outsider looking in at the mart in question but a few more knowledgeable sources seemed to think it came as no great surprise. Seemingly they were pushing the boat out a bit too far the last while, that's an easy trap to fall into and it just spirals from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Two JE bull weanlings sold for €90.

They would have to leave money you would think.. like it cost a lot more than €90 to get them this far.

• Advertisement

It undoubtedly cost more than that to get them this far but I don't think there wild value at it either being honest. I saw not that bad (as jersey's go) of a tan JE bullock 400kg making €350 last week. He was a 2 year old and what did it cost to get him that far. I'd say the only hope with them lads would be to bring them straight through to slaughter. Then you have something that's never salable in the live ring so you're 100% dependent on the factory trade when there eventually fit.

Looks like Ballybay mart will be able to open soon after the High Court case today. It was some feat to build up debts of half a million euros, why were things allowed to get to that stage before anything was done. Trading their way out of this mess will hardly be simple.

With large turnovers of stock and a less than rigorous approach to credit it wouldn't take long to run into those sort of figures imo. It doesn't take a serious lorry to bring €20,000 worth of stock and repeat that across a few buyers for a month or 6 weeks and you're into a tidy sum.

There was a well known cow buyer that ended up owning nearly half a million to a chain of cooperative marts a few years back and they were supposed to have top class management capable of avoiding those sort of issues. He also owed nearly the same again to a few other local independent marts so it does happen.

What was the result if the court case have you a link. Danger now for them is lads may unwilling to sell there cattle there. If so was selling cattle through a mart I be inclined to carry my stock elsewhere.

With present prices it's the equivalent if 5-750 cattle depending on type. Gortnalea could have 300+ cull cows@650 euro each it would be over 200 k.

Slava Ukrainii

The suspension of the trading licence is lifted subject to conditions, high court takes a supervisory role in mart, accountant appointed to manage client accounts, no credit to be given to purchasers at mart and mart has to provide a weekly report.

The margins in marts are wafer thin. It will take some time to get into the black.

Bigger marts could trade out with economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So can persons walk away with big debt owed to a mart with no comeback on them so at that rate ,surely the cattle that were owed for would have worth most of their value worst case scenario unless they all died

It trying to collect the money. The danger with allowing me excessive credit is that say a lad has a 50-70k bill with Ballybay (BB). He may be using that as credit rather than bank credit. He may have bought more land or be building a shed with a TAM'S grant and is using BB as a source of credit.

Now he is in a situation that maybe where by BB want to reduce his credit. Si now he trades elsewhere and let's the BB debt sit there until he can afford to pay it.

But all cattle must now be paid for on the day so other lads that had shorter credit terms maybe giving 5-10 days post dated cheques probably cannot get that credit either. They will tend to buy elsewhere as well. As prices drop sellers will go elsewhere and some sellers will not go anyway because of fear of not getting paid.

It's a vicious circle. It very hard to draw back 500k in credit especially if some is a loss.

Slava Ukrainii

I know of a mart that a large finisher had owned almost 400k at one stage. He would be consistent and reliable but it opened my mine to all this free credit was available.

There is plenty of young lads who haven't a bean to their name who buy fat cattle get credit, kill the cattle and pay the mart in a few days.

If the mart was put in examership then they be no fear of selling stock there.

I think there maybe consequences for the mart if they gave credit because the broke the livestock markets credit act. The tanglers would be the first to let you down if they could.

Post edited by kk.man on

Those sort of situations take place everywhere and it's all grand until some day it isn't. I'd know lots of lads that sit on €50,000-€100,000 worth of stock at all times on credit from various marts. That's what they finance the day to day expenses on. Buy cattle in mart A, kill them or sell again in mart B. Use this to secure more credit in mart B and buy stock to use to pay off mart A and so on.

It's a vicious circle and it's very easy to end up owing large amounts with no way of repaying it. The marts also know if they cut off you're credit then you'll start trading somewhere else and the debt is left behind. It's OK when you can keep stock turning over and don't get too big for you're boots. A freak turn in circumstances or personal vendettas around the ring are usually what cripple the likes of those arrangements.

• Advertisement

It in years like this that situations like this come to a head. Between Beam and strong prices early in the year a lot of lads finished or sold cattle early. But prices got stronger and they held for the Autumn. Now lads restarting need extra credit as cattle are more expensive.

As strong as prices were early in the year the prices of AA cattle is way out of sync with finished prices especially with projected fertlizer and feed costs.

This time last year whatever you bought in stock for 50k you will buy 10+ less for it this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Managing a mart is as much about managing credit for buyers as anything else. In practice though, what can a mart do if a buyer has gone over credit. Does the auctioneer get told told by the manager to just ignore his bids?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Delete delete

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Haven’t stood in or watched a Sale online in a good while.

What are fair good straight Chx Store Bullocks worth?…..prob R grade…..coming off grass and sprinkling of nuts for last few weeks to freshen their hair up.

Bought in April weighing 350 kg on average.

Approx 500kg to 530kg weight and born March / April 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

Depending on the the mart and that that type of weight it could be a struggle to get them beyond 2.2/kg especially if only R grade. Bought a bunch black LM, 410 kgs for 770 during the week. They are all R+'s if I can get them to enough weight. Heat is going out of stock lads are paying 300/ ton for ration and talk of it going up more.

Slava Ukrainii

In fairness Bass there's a big difference in a CHx bullock 510kg and a black LM bullock 410kg even if there both R grade. You're dealing with a different clientele and a different endgame as regards timescale.

I'd be inclined to agree with Grueller and expect circa €2.40 provided there fair sorts. You're LM bullocks look value at €770 but there a different way of working. Will they be fit by autumn 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

You should be going out with a balaclava on you bass, those type cattle would easy bring a €1000 here. Since the weather took up/ big marts passed all lighter better types and plain cattle got a great lift.

Proper charolais growth r grade 500 kg will be 1100 to 1300 here.

I seen a lot of ordinary CH when they hit above 500 kgs struggle to make 2.2/ kg. These would often be off plainish cows and a fairly easy calving bull and that was during late September early October. Most went unsold but a nice few lots sold at that as well.

Ya them LM will finish they are a mixed bunch. IMO they did not weight. Heaviest lad is 100 kgs heavier than the lightest one. As long as they are FS 3 they can go out at 30 months.

One lad is Feb 20, two March 20 and the last two April 20.

I do not think they can see my face behind the screen I think I have my own camera switched off. 😊😊

I just tuned into LSL towards the end of a mart. There was some red and red and black LM 12-14 months that came in first one bunch 390 only made 820, then a bunch 360 made 790 I followed them to 770. I was not ready for the first bunch, then the three blacks came in and were opened at 630, I was on them from the start, TBF I taught they would be pulled but fortune favours the brave. If I was not there they only have made 750 or less. I had more or less finished buying however I had to make room for them I think they will turn a Bob

As a friend says if they come in wrong they can never go out right even if you get a massive rise. If they come in right they can often go out wrong.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You'll not buy much of growthy CH bullock here in the West circa 500kg at €1100 odd all backend. You'd probably buy a mousey poorer type alright but not a good R grade one. Granted cattle are usually a shade cheaper the further south you go so it depends where the OP is based.

The LM bullocks definitely look value especially if they weren't weighing after a long sale day. The thing with those types is that you're not competing with the lads looking for show stock for around the house next summer. They should do a powerful thrive next spring and early summer. I agree 100% with you're friend's motto, buying them worth the money is half the battle. It's often irrelevant how well they do afterwards as if there too dear from the outset you're backing a loosing horse.

Advertisement