Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

I wouldn’t agree on the weights and ages. I’d say if they had got €50 worth of meal each they would have put at least €100 more in his pocket after the meal. They were at a prime age to gain serious weight. If they were getting meal then the weights are well out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

On a serious note, I suppose a lot of these lads paying good money for these calves are weanling to store men. They are after selling stores at good money and can afford and want to keep the quality of their cattle up.

Many then are weanling to finish and are after getting good money for beef.

Pay €1000 for a small weanling then winter him with meal and silage for probably €150 and then throw in an odd dead one too if you are into bigger numbers. €1300 or €1400 for him as a store this time next year wouldn’t be much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

What's your plan and targets for those, Jimmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Getting maybe 2 kg meal last few weeks. Tried to get them to take to it earlier and wouldn't touch it. Maybe a creep feeder may help next year.

I often wonder when I see some weights and ages how they do it.

I would say that they should be hitting 330kg around now for sales maybe a month ago even.

Still work in progress. Trying calving earlier and better management of grass.

Could have kept them for another while out but what would prices be like in next couple months.

They for sure need access to some shed over the winter. Times it gets too rough for them to thrive.

Couldn't be looking at them during the really bad weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

The good calf starter goes a long way with getting them going, I find either grennans or Thompson’s the best of them and keep a bit in a creep feeder the whole time from mid august. I know of one lad goes in July. They won’t eat much for the first month or so but when they start to go they will eat around 3 kg average for the last while before sale but it’s money well spent. You’ve done all the hard work you need to be getting paid for it. 350kg is the sweet spot to get rid of a weanling and having a similar type out together will have more of the lads looking for a few interested as they are coming from the one farm.

Post edited by Who2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don’t forget up to the last few years this was common place with bull calves over 400kg stalling in price unless had good cover for someone going for u16m

All costs are going up and you can’t expect the primary producer to take the full hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya he was a bit of a freak to be honest, huge pull with him, he didn't stand for 4 days and I was a week tubing him. Cow was a nutcase aswell. I'd rather have no trouble and be getting a thousand for a normal one. You'd lose as many of those as you'd keep alive. He'll do some thrive though, his mother only had 2 spins and he had no meal got.

Ya used to do better with the meal, but this year especially tried to get cow and calf out of shed asap after calving so hadn't them on the meal as much as used to. Tried the better local starter from kerrycoop this year and they didn't take to it, I was using the raised wire to get them access to trough. But I see the later calves are searching out for meal now. Be interesting how they turn out when getting the pinch longer.

Did see the difference in the ones I sold over the last few weeks now. When I check back some that wanted it, are getting it since end Aug but small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Not being smart but weights on some of them were very average ,dairy lads would be hitting them weights with bucket fed calves .The buyer also has the hassle of dealing with a calf looking for his mothers milk ,Is it at the stage where guys would be better off with rearing a few good quality bucket reared calves rather then average suckler calves .I am in dairy and sometimes I would have good he calves selling for poor prices at the mart as no demand when ever weather takes a turn in spring

• Advertisement

I agree ya, they dont get any specoal treatment. Cows nor calves pushed with meal. These guys were weaned 2 weeks now.

Tried variety of bulls and breeds last couple years, . Lightest were from 1st calvers, milk is an issue here. Have picked mainly CH bulls this year, 4 non Ch out of 16, calving easy for the different age cows. Will compare and move off depending on calf quality. Trying to improve things slowly.

Wouldn't be interested in rearing bucket fed lads. Don't think I could handle any more numbers, just would like to improve the quality of what I'm producing now, even if that means going back to 10 cows. I'm not dependent on them to feed me or family, just want to make a few bob for the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

idk what ye are on about, some of them Weanlens were only 6-7 months and there were not far off the 300kg mark, that's not bad at all. Pity we hadn't a few pics to see. imho there's plenty 6 month old Weanlens out there that aren't even weighing 250kg. Which goes back to my original point that the money was poor and more than likely they got stalled or the auctioneer knocked them down to someone. I know it's not always possible and it's a hassle to bring them home but sometimes you just have to give em the 2 fingers and say no sale.

Limited pics.

Orange lad here on left 286kg made 710

White lad 306 kg made 800

Orange lad on right 250 made 695

Red lad was 262kg made 685

Lad on the left weight 282 made 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One thing I notice latly is the way some marts are useless in handling online. Some drovers in the ring never move the cattle aroundso youcannot get an idea of what is in bunches. Badly placed camera's and rings where camera is too close to cattle. To the ones i use Killmallock ring one is good as is Gortnalea. Listowel is good Castleisland is average, Sixmilebride is poor mainly as drover is not moving stock. Newport is average poor cameral placement. It makes a huge difference to the online buyer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Noticed on Marteye lately that the display board isn't showing at times, so you don't know the number of moves or test of an animal, it can be annoying.

Which app do people find the best out of the 3, Marteye / LSL / Martbids.

I prefer LSL as I use it most, Martbids is good enough to but I find Marteye a bit poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Keep them on til this time next year and sell as stores.

I run a little sideline operation here parallel to the main farm herd. I try to buy in 15 to 20 heifers red/yellow/white chx or limx around 5 to 6 months old weighing 280kg+ in late Oct / November, 5 or 6 per week. Into shed for a week after purchase til they are calm and eating meal, then outside til mid Dec if possible, getting a shake of meal. Into shed on peat or straw til March and then off to grass. I operate a simple rotation grazing system, try to have nice grass ahead of them.

Sell early or mid Oct at 500 - 550kg. No meal at grass. I average .6 to .8 kg ADG over the 330 days or so they are on the farm. Low cost system with the numbers involved, but would be harder to maintain that as numbers increase. Off to grass early and the rotation system are key to the thrive I feel.

Good year this year as benefitting from higher store prices, however looks like I will be paying €70 to €100 more for replacements this backend. 6 more going for sale tomorrow in Ballinasloe, average sale price so far €1,310/head. 3 top class chars and 3 decent Lims/chars going so fingers crossed....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

LSL is best but I noticed that in the past week or so that the number of days in herd/owners wasn't showing online in the calf/runner ring in a PROMINENT mart which was somewhat surprising. At the same time the onsite electronic ring side display board was also broken. Ye have to wonder how they can't get the technology sorted at this stage 🙄

• Advertisement

There a bit of games being played by some marts. A few are no longer displaying seller name online especially in a few Kerry marts. I taught it was a condition that they had to. As well 1-2 marts are not showing the videos of lower priced lots even if the sale goes through.

Castleisland mart has no historical cathelog being put up.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

None of the 3 (LSL) marts that I would look at display the sellers name online and only 2 of them have the playback facility. One marteye mart does display the name but doesn't have playback. I don't think marteye offers that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I use one as often as the other and don’t have a preference but I noticed last night and over the last while that cattle are not being put round the ring at all. Saw a few in carnaross that walked into the ring and straight out again. Are they trying to discourage the online I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Lazyness perhaps? Not speed anyway or online stuff. As they were always walked around the ring for years.

I say they are definitely not inclined to discourage online. It's definitely makes cattle easier to sell. It's really a function of a mart manager to make sure he looks at online and make sure everything possible is done to facilitate it.

A lot of sellers are now not going into the box as they feel it's is less pressure on them and it forces auctioneer to get a decent price. Online definitely has reduced the number of really cheap lots at present it not all down to the finished price.

There is no bunches of really cheap cattle at the end of the auction anymore to any great extent. Only value you now generally get is single in bucket fed cattle are you have a few bought.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Roscommon or Ballinasloe mart for Bullocks, ~500kg/18yr olds?

Any significant difference in the two?

Not sure of you will get many 18 year old bullocks that weight. Weight gain if 68 grams/ day. They be fair boney stores at that age even if it was a Dexter

🤣🤣

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

i sold 1 last week, 19 months 505kg, best money of the day, 2.40 euro per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I doubt Carnaross would be trying to put people of using LSL as I think the owners have some involved with it. But yes you do get the impression that some marts aren't pushing it. One mart that I know off, you have 15 minutes after your cattle are sold to ring them and say if you aren't happy with the price received. They wouldn't ring the buyer either to let him know the cattle aren't been given either, it's a right pin.

• Advertisement

In a way it is understandable. Margin on a sake is 10 euro give or take a few cent and a euro of that is vat. A lot is sold every 2 minutes ish. You would need 1-2 staff constantly ringing to see if sale is satisfactory and has gone through. As well most buyers seldom only pick up a few animals you could be calling and recalling over lot's.

What they should do is update the subject purchases on LSL to let you know as sales are gone through. Having said that 25 minutes is s bit tight for sellers most marts allow 30 minutes.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement