Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

PsychoPete wrote: »
    This seems like a very smart looking little car

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1971-austin-1300/27286480

Having owned two of these (a 66 Austin 1100 and a 69 Wolseley 1300), I’d honestly rate them as far superior cars to own and drive than an equivalent Mini.

That one looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Having owned two of these (a 66 Austin 1100 and a 69 Wolseley 1300), I’d honestly rate them as far superior cars to own and drive than an equivalent Mini.

That one looks lovely.

Anything would be better than a mini the most overrated car ever, a friend's mother had a purple 1100 her son drove it, we had some fun in it, he drove the absolute stones out of it, it didn't like the wet weather we soon got used to drying off the distributor and leads and away she'd go again:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

This seems like a very smart looking little car

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1971-austin-1300/27286480

Maybe I’m just of an age when I remember them being permanently unreliable, rusted out, broken down just like the Mini they’re based on. Never understood the love of these or the Mini. I appreciate the Mini was revolutionary (just turned Fiat tech rear to front) but BL abused that formula for decades after instead of innovating.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Maybe I’m just of an age when I remember them being permanently unreliable, rusted out, broken down just like the Mini they’re based on. Never understood the love of these or the Mini. I appreciate the Mini was revolutionary (just turned Fiat tech rear to front) but BL abused that formula for decades after instead of innovating.

I think that's the main appeal of this one, it managed to survive despite the BL inherited odds. Your last sentence summed up both the bike and car industry, they just thought it was going to last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Had to drive one of them for a couple of years after writing off my mum's passat, was a brown morris not an austin as my granaunt used to own it in the UK my dad brought it over when she couldn't drive any more. It's probably still around somewhere, we done a bit or a restoration job on it maybe 15/16 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

From what I remember the 1100 was a reliable little yoke, but the 1300 was an awful engine altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was the 1300 we had, can't recall any engine trouble, the breaks on the other hand, surprised I wasn't killed in it.

From what I remember the 1100 was a reliable little yoke, but the 1300 was an awful engine altogether.

Same engine effectively. The GT version had twin SU's which seemed to bamboozle a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

con747 wrote: »

what is it that looks buckled in pic 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭con747

what is it that looks buckled in pic 8?

A storage compartment at the side of the boot by the look of it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Same engine. A Series. Any unreliability was down to poor manufacture. The amount of engines that came straight off the production line into rectification was crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

con747 wrote: »

I've posted that one in the "today I saw a classic and took a pic" thread. Lives around Phibsboro and it's a daily driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Jesus the plate on that Mazda makes my head hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,089 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tzardine wrote: »

There was no need to headbutt the car though, was there?

Tzardine wrote: »

Aren't they shocking.

The car looks to be a mobile fillers ad, she's as rough as a bears arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

unkel wrote: »
    There was no need to headbutt the car though, was there?

Yeah that could explain the dent just above the front plate. :)

The rear plate looks particularly bad.

Nice, well priced car all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Aren't they shocking.

The car looks to be a mobile fillers ad, she's as rough as a bears arse.

It looks to be very straight except for the front bumper

It looks to be very straight except for the front bumper

Boot lid is full of filler and none of the pictures show the rear passenger side from the outside, maybe I'm wrong but I'd be viewing very carefully, body parts would be impossible to source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Boot lid is full of filler and none of the pictures show the rear passenger side from the outside, maybe I'm wrong but I'd be viewing very carefully, body parts would be impossible to source.

I see reflections in the boot but to me it doesn't look like filler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Cant see it where is it? ::pac:^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Light as a feather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not seeing a rusty car there either but of course as with any 41 year old car you would give it a good going over.

You could change the plate if it was bothering you.

Not holding a torch for old Mazdas myself but if the car is right you'd get over the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Light as a feather
    1.4? Quick little thing but wouldn’t want to crash one.

Somebody didn't pay the panel beater...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Totally overpriced, but historically speaking a very interesting car. 87-C-1 .

This line alone is nonsense and wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in the seller, sound like they are suggesting a ringer.

The number plate and tax book is valuable alone.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-granada-87-c-1/27309008

MjZkZWFhZTg5ZWIxNzg1ZGU2OGFjNjg5MDY4ZjZhZDCB-Dplrdu4zcFnYsH4yjm1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzE4OTQ3MzN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

OWZmZGJmZDcyMzk4MmJhODNkNzJjMWFkNWM5MmI2NGNkYHl5M4loYxZ1RdJmZlECaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzE4OTQ3MzR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Very cool, and definitely worthy of preservation. Your man is deluded if he thinks a base spec 2.0 manual Granada will command €5k in that state, or any state for that matter.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/range-rover/27313321

MWNhZDlmYjAzZDVkYzJjODE5MDI1NDBhY2VjYTgzZTREaVjc6WrOh8SxUVF4LIkhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzE5Mzk1MjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks cheap at €3k. 87 V8 petrol RR

Advertisement