Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home visit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Where does it say in the act that a safe in the car is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

hexosan wrote: »
    Where does it say in the act that a safe in the car is needed.

They are allowed ask for anything they like in the interest of public safety. He is obviously applying for a restricted firearm so they see the need to up his security, i was asked for the same with my restricted shotgun. I think they are pretty sensible requirements, i actually had them in place before they were asked, bar the safe in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

I already have a restricted firearm and my current security was ok. He said because I'm applying for a second restricted rifle I need to up my alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BillBen wrote: »
    I already have a restricted firearm and my current security was ok. He said because I'm applying for a second restricted rifle I need to up my alarm
    He's right about there being an increase at the second restricted firearm though, see the table here:
    3|Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.|Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

Had call out yesterday, as I have applied for fourth non-restricted license, very pleasant, here for 2-3 minutes, just quick check of safe and Alarm which is vibration sensors fitted on all external doors and windows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Does anyone know of an alarm system that can be used specifically in conjunction with a gun safe?

I have a Yale telecommunicating house alarm for the external doors and windows, as well as a PIR in the room with the safe, but I'm thinking about adding an extra alarm activated only by any tampering with the gun safe, if such a thing exists?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's been over 20 years since i worked in or around alarms and no doubt things have changed but could a contact and/or sensor not be ran to the gun safes, and then have them o a different zone? This way it could be alarmed during the day when you're in and covered with the rest of the house when you're out?

The other issue is even if this can be done what good is it? If someone breaks into the house then the alarm has already been set off so an additional zone to the safes seems redundant.

When i moved house i went to my local station and told them i'm a firearm owner. If my house alarm goes off and the call comes in to quick step it up to the house.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The reason for wanting something directly attached to the safe is that the diy Yale alarm I have doesn't have sensors for every window in the house. So rather than going to the trouble and expense of getting a new more comprehensive alarm system for the whole house, the thinking would be to leave the present system in place and put something extra in to make the gun safe more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Jayzesake wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an alarm system that can be used specifically in conjunction with a gun safe?

I have a Yale telecommunicating house alarm for the external doors and windows, as well as a PIR in the room with the safe, but I'm thinking about adding an extra alarm activated only by any tampering with the gun safe, if such a thing exists?

Im no expert on alarms but if your looking to install it yourself you could get an additional external door sensor and add it to the inside of your safe and link it to your existing alarm, or get a separate system and link it to the safe independent of your house, but your doubling up on alarms to do that, if your monitored you can have the safe monitored too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cass wrote: »
    It's been over 20 years since i worked in or around alarms and no doubt things have changed but could a contact and/or sensor not be ran to the gun safes, and then have them o a different zone? This way it could be alarmed during the day when you're in and covered with the rest of the house when you're out?

Yes this can be done.
    I installed my own alarm and have done this on mine.
    A separate code is required to disarm the safe than for the rest of the house, I am the only person that knows this code.
    From a security point of view it is important to have the contact & magnet fitted inside the safe (not externally). The contact can only activate the alarm if the door of the safe is opened (i.e. when someone has gained access to the safe). That is why I think it is a good idea to install an inertia shock sensor as well. This will detect any vibration to the safe such as that caused by drilling, banging or grinding, prising the safe off the wall etc.
    The other issue is even if this can be done what good is it? If someone breaks into the house then the alarm has already been set off so an additional zone to the safes seems redundant.

Correct.
    The problem is that all too often alarms are not set. This can be for a verity of reason ranging form simply forgetting to thinking "sure I was only popping out for 5 minutes".
    The advantage of this is that the gun safe zone is still armed. It is cheap and easy option that provides another level of security.

Note: I do not work in the security industry.

• Advertisement

Thanks 2011, those are excellent suggestions to be mulling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Just following your thread
    If any body needs some advice in relation to there security systems. I would be more than happy to help.
    I am in the industry some 20 years now and we are fully registered & certified .

Just for example : Just say we fit a new security system in your house and it is connected to the monitoring station which a lot of people are going down this route now.
    Upon completion we must fill out a few forms.
    One of which is called an RC1A form. We must fill in all your details & our reg no,s
    The monitoring station put in there reg nos & sign
    ***The client must tick a box if they have Fire Arms on the premises & they must sign the same.
    We have to tell the Gardai on the form if there is maintenance, gsm / radio back up & if the system is to standard.

Basically now and for some time if your alarm is monitored the Gardai have to know if there are Fire Arms on the premises

Hope this gives a little insight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

A PSA registered company to install your alarm would be essential, the day of the diyer installing alarms are gone thankfully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    A PSA registered company to install your alarm would be essential, the day of the diyer installing alarms are gone thankfully.

Not true in every case.
    I am speaking from personal experience.

When I demonstrated the operation of my alarm system and various security systems to the AGS crime prevention officer I explained that I installed it and maintain it myself. I also made it clear that I am not PSA registered. He accepted that I had the ample technical qualifications and experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

2011 wrote: »
    Not true in every case.
    I am speaking from personal experience.

When I demonstrated the operation of my alarm system and various security systems to the AGS crime prevention officer I explained that I installed it and maintain it myself. I also made it clear that I am not PSA registered. He accepted that I had the ample technical qualifications and experience.

It would be strongly advisable to get a PSA registered over a diyer install as if the officer didn't approve of the system one would need to get a PSA to install and do the appropriate paper work anyway.
    Also no PSA would take on a failed diy install so not worth going down this route. Get the job done by the trained professionals who will complete the job to the correct specs and be able to sort all the legalities that comes with the job.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    It would be strongly advisable to get a PSA registered over a diyer install

As a general rule I would offer exactly the same advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is it legal to install an alarm yourself? I thought all alarm installers had to be licenced?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is it legal to install an alarm yourself? I thought all alarm installers had to be licenced?

Legally you must be a licensed with the PSA (Private Security Authority) to install alarm systems. However installing an alarm for yourself in your own home is treated differently.

This would be a more appropriate forum for discussion about alarm systems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Really?

For my house insurance they wanted a PSA installer, and so did An Gardaí. My Father used to install them, and i trained on them with him some years ago and if it was unnecessary i could have done it myself for the cost of parts only. I got the proper, PSA registered installer, lad to do it for me, and everyone is happy.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Really?

Yup.
    The problem arises when you try to sell your services as an alarm installer.

It would not be plausible that I installed dozens of alarms for free, however installing one in my own home is different.
    For my house insurance they wanted a PSA installer

Same with me if I wanted to avail of their discount. I don't wish to do this as there are strings attached to this.
    and so did An Gardaí.

The Gardaí can insist on more onerous conditions than outlined in outlined the SI 307 (2009). This governs secure accommodation required.
    For levels 1,2 and 3 it does not require an alarm installed to EN 50131 (this applies to level 4).

Advertisement