Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home visit

Options
  • 02-04-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Applied for a restricted rifle 2 weeks ago and got a call from the local sergeant today. He said he was ringing me about my application and wants to check out my security. Is he putting the cart before the horse. I thought that you only get a home visit after you've gone to see the chief super.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nope.

When you fill out the FCA1 you tick the box that declares you have fulfilled the necessary security requirements
    (for all your firearms, including the one you are seeking). If you've ticked the box and don't then it's a fraudulent application (sounds worse than it is), and if you don't have the security you should have got it installed before ticking the box. Then submitting your application.

You must have the minimum security for the amount and type of firearms you apply for in place before applying. If the Super or Ch.Super wants more then s/he'll ask for it to be installed before continuing with your application.

I'm in the saame boat myself. I have re-applied to get my pistol back, and stuck in an application for a semi auto rifle (proposals are not law). Got a call the other day from the C.Super's office to say they have the applications, checked some info and told me they'd be back onto me. However i supplied a detailed list of my current security setup which exceeds level four and in some cases some gun shops.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Cheers cass. I've got the required security. It is just it took them 4-5 months to check out my house when I applied for my leaver action. Alls good so

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

and don't be surprised later down the line of the application if you get a call saying the Crime Prevention Officer is visiting

Hopefully the application will move alog quickly if it's taken them two weeks to contact me. Then next hurdle will be getting the licence

I've found the only delay in restricted licenses (for me) was getting a time the Ch. Super was free to conduct the meeting. As s/he only deals with restricted applications, and they are far less common than standard applications, they are not as tied up with numerous applications so can process them slightly faster.

I'm hoping mine goes smoothly. I've put forward as good an application as i can, all the details i can give, etc. Fingers crossed it all goes well for the both of us.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed cass. And now that I have a new Cs hopefully it won't be a painful as the last time.

Something similar. The Ch.Super in my area is not so much new as i haven't dealt with him since he took the post after CS Moore retired.

Moore was spot on. Fair, and thorough but never gave me any issues once i showed good reason. Hoping for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Cass wrote: »
    Something similar. The Ch.Super in my area is not so much new as i haven't dealt with him since he took the post after CS Moore retired.

Moore was spot on. Fair, and thorough but never gave me any issues once i showed good reason. Hoping for the same.
    Thats all you can ask for in a super ,the way i have always looked at it is they treat everybody like a criminal till you prove them otherwise,some go more overboard than others , they always throw you a curve ball in an interview to see how you react, it seems to be common with one particular station in Dublin, i was given a few testing questions and when my wife was going for the gaurds he grilled her ,she came out in tears , think she knew then that teacher would be the best option for her :D, same with my brother in law when he was thrown a few antagonizing questions.
    Most of the time with the house visits with the ordinary firearms officer they are in and out and dont really know what they are looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm waiting on a call myself. Have the safe fitted and all. Waiting a while now.

Has anyone ever gotten the licence without the Gardai coming out to view the safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pedro K wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a call myself. Have the safe fitted and all. Waiting a while now.

Has anyone ever gotten the licence without the Gardai coming out to view the safe?

Never been visited for any of my licences, don't actually know anybody that has either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

I had 3 firearms 2 rifles and a shotgun and only got my first visit when subbing one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

A crime prevention officer called to me about 14 years ago when i applied for a 243. i had a semi auto shotgun in the safe. he pulled it out and said what kind of RIFLE was that...i explained that it was a shotgun...he then said " i thought all shotguns had 2 barrels and rifles had only 1"...thats a fact..he hadnt a clue but he passed me anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

270WIN wrote: »
    A crime prevention officer called to me about 14 years ago when i applied for a 243. i had a semi auto shotgun in the safe. he pulled it out and said what kind of RIFLE was that...i explained that it was a shotgun...he then said " i thought all shotguns had 2 barrels and rifles had only 1"...thats a fact..he hadnt a clue but he passed me anyway....

And rightly so, saw a decent safe and that's what he was there to see. As a bonus he left with his firearms knowledge slightly enhanced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Many of the people that I shoot with never had a home inspection at the address that they live at, or had one many years ago or only had an inspection after more than 10 years of shooting.
    Which is quite surprising "In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána". It is as though AGS are not really concerned about legally held firearms at all :rolleyes:

At a guess I was shooting for close to 20 years during which time I lived at 3 different addresses before I had a home inspection.

Pedro K wrote: »
    I only got the home inspection when i first applied for the pistol back in 2004 (IIRC). Nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I never had one and i was raging because i spent about €3g on my arrangements. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

I had a visit for the rifles but not the shotgun, but one of them is only an air rifle. FO said when the word rifle is on the application you get a home visit.
    He said shotguns were far handier done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I've had my fair share of rifles and shotguns over the years and I only got a visit last year when I moved to a different area.

The visit went well as my security is pretty high and the inspecting officer was complimentary enough to say that with future applications, i dont have to meet him and just post them to him to be processed.

True to his word, the last two rifles went through rapidly.

Had my inspection and all I can say is ffs. Not happy with my alarm even though he told me the last time he was out that he was very happy. Now I've to upgrade if I want my application to make it to the Cs desk.

What alarm have you. Don't need specifics, just is it house, room or safe alarm?

• Advertisement

Monitored alarm. Pir in rooms and at safe. He said because I already have a restricted firearm that I need to upgrade

Full house alarm? Or is it just the room/safe?

It's a full house alarm. The thing is it hasn't changed since the last time he came to the house. And at his last visit he was very happy with my arrangements so don't know what's changed.

I ask because i'm curious as to what he wants.

Did he name or specify what he thought were "failures" in the system that needed improving? Surely he was not so vague as to say "upgrade"?

What else can you do to upgrade?

Because the system I have is wireless and I have pir's that cover the windows, doors front and back he wants me to put contacts on all of the windows and doors as well at a cost of 65-70 a sensor plus labour. So I'm looking at a significant cost to do what he wants.

And that only gets me as far as my meeting with the cs

Balls.

Don't mind me asking so many questions. I'm expecting the same shortly and without being nasty i testing you to see where i might be short in my own. I have:
    • Contacts on every window/door
    • Sensor on the same
    • PIR at back door, front door, hall
    • CCTV covering all areas of the property
    • Wireless backup
    • Monitored

Not going into what i have in terms of safes, etc. but that should cover the alarm requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

BillBen wrote: »
    Because the system I have is wireless and I have pir's that cover the windows, doors front and back he wants me to put contacts on all of the windows and doors as well at a cost of 65-70 a sensor plus labour. So I'm looking at a significant cost to do what he wants.
    The wireless ones are very handy to tune in , just read the manual and go step by step it will save you a bit on labour anyway, you are at their mercy sometimes so gritted teeth is needed when you would like to give them an earful

I reckon he is trying to put me off with the extra cost alright. He said that he wants paper work when it done by an authorised installer so no hope of doing it myself. And before he left his said that I've to change the locks in my house and I will have to get a safe put into the car. Lol

• Advertisement

I'd say the next thing will be cctv

Advertisement