Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The two people doing the voice overs were very annoying. Animal Well and Blasphemous 2 were the only games of interest, although if they’re not Switch exclusives then I’d sooner get them on Steam Deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, the voiceover people were bad. And some of that presentation was painful to watch. Such a weak opening as well.

Japan: Nintendo updates Nintendo Direct page today, generally precedes a presentation

I'm not expecting a full on traditional Nintendo Direct myself until September, but I would love to be wrong. I think there'll be a Partner Showcase or a Mini Direct at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

MP4 update.... MP4 update.... MP4 update... 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Hey sligeach, i just seen your name on the front of a truck and laughed and said to myself, I wonder did he ever buy a switch? haha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh please.... Oh please.... Oh please 🥺🙏

First party there's Pikmin 4, that 🐴💩 Everybody 1-2-Switch! coming out in the next month, after that it's pure speculation.

Maybe show TOTK DLC, and various other bits of DLC for the likes of MK8D and Splatoon 3. Footage from Metroid Prime 4. I still don't think it's coming out anytime soon, but they should be able to show off something at least after 4 and a half years since the reboot. A new Mario or Donkey Kong game should be on the cards. There's always some sort of Kirby knocking about. There's rumours of various Gamecube remasters.

Post edited by sligeach on

Leaker claims Nintendo Direct will feature new 2D Mario and remake of a SNES game

I 𝓦𝓞𝓝𝓓𝓔𝓡 what it could be.

If there is a Direct this week, I'd expect an announcement around 2pm today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think the world is ready for a new 2D Mario. Especially after the SM movie success.

Also, Sonic Superstars is out at the end of this year ...

Perfect timing.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Ya, I couldn't remember if it was 2 or 3pm when they make these announcements. I meant to check again at 3. Well anyway, there it is. Hopefully some big announcements. I'd love to hear about Switch 2, but that's probably not very realistic.

Nintendo Direct – 21/06/2023

Less than an hour to go until it starts.

The new 2D Mario game will ditch the "New Super Mario" tagline, have a surprising new visual style, will feature online multiplayer, Rosalina, Daisy, Waluigi and Wario may be playable and I think "Wonder" is in the title.

My thoughts on what a new 2D Mario game could do. What about a Mario/Metroid 2D hybrid? I hate the term Metroidvania. There's no need for Castlevania to be piggybacking on Metroid. Anyway what I mean about the Mario/Metroid hybrid is a Metroid game but with Mario and he gains new abilities to access otherwise restricted areas. It would be a fully explorable Mushroom Kingdom with different terrains.

Like Mario could gain the fire flower ability and he would keep it. It's not like a one hit and it's gone. The fire flower could destroy certain enemies and melt ice blocks blocking your path to open new areas. He could gain the frog suit which will allow you to swim underwater. A bee suit could allow him to hover briefly. Ice flower could create platforms on water, freeze enemies for platforms, use the Ice Flower and Fire Flower in conjunction to destroy specific enemies. Hammer Bros suit could again break certain walls and defeat enemies. Mini Mushrooms could let him fit in small pipes which allow access to new areas. Have boss fights for each region. Just a thought. Mario has so many power ups from different games. I think it could be good to try this and maybe stack them together.

I don't know if Nintendo would want to have Mario play in a genre and mimic a franchise that already does this. If Mario did it, it could help the Metroid series grow as well. Nintendo could say if you liked that game there's a whole catalogue of them already, it's called Metroid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's very on-brand for you to declare that the term metroidvania is "Castlevania piggybacking on Metroid", sligeach 😁

I don't think Nintendo have ever done a Mario game with full-on metroidvania mechanics like you describe, but tbh going away from the existing approach from SMW etc of "replay levels having unlocked new switches or abilities" feels like an odd move for a 2D Mario game. (Fully explorable Mushroom Kingdom etc sounds like a better fit for a 3D title, IMO).

There has to be something about hardware that is coming up soon. Probably not in today's Direct, maybe in September. But I feel like it's influencing what can and cannot be shown. Why we know very little before today's Direct what's on the horizon besides Everybody 1-2-Switch! and Pikmin 4. Who knows, maybe today will blow that out of the water and they'll continue with Switch for another year or 2.

I think they'll do it next year, release it around May or June perhaps, it will be a gradual changeover to the new platform, with initially some cross platform games. They will want to do it while the Switch brand is viewed positively and not drag it out like they did with the Wii brand where it was too late and the changeover was confusing. They can coexist alongside each other for a year, or a little longer. Have price cuts on the original Switch models.

So for today, I think we've heard many of the rumours, Mario, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, a SNES remake(indications are it could be Super Mario RPG). Pikmin 4 obviously, Persona 3, probably Prince of Persia and Sonic. Probably some cloud versions of games(BOO!!!) like maybe Resident Evil 4 Remake.

It will be interesting to see if Zelda DLC is announced today and will they show off Metroid Prime 4. Both of which I feel they might want to keep alongside the announcement of new hardware at a later date.

1 minute to go.

"Pegi 18." Then opens with Pokemon. 😂

Finally, the first bit of good news. Super Mario RPG Remake. It looks great. So many familiar scenes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mario RPG remake! that I did not see coming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Super Mario RPG remake; a nice surprise, coming 17th November.

Another Mario game. Except it's Princess Peach who's the star.

Ooh Batman! Trilogy of Rocksteady games. Nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh sweet; the Arkham trilogy. Ok now I'm interested. The first was a fantastic Metroidvania mixed with a brawler. Arkham Knight I can pass on, mind you. "Autumn" release date.

Pikmin 4 looks nice. It's had long enough t have a tonne of content.

Pikmin 1 & 2 are available on the eShop today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vampire Survivors is pure digital crack cocaine - absurdly stupid, wildly satisfying. Glad to hear Switch owners will soon get addicted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interesting to see it'll have local co-op play too, that'll be great fun.

Those leaks about the new 2D Super Mario Bros game were spot on. They clearly seen the game. They knew so much. Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well that's certainly a different non New Mario.

The small Mario model seemed similar to the RPG model.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Mario Wonder looks great. Looks really inventive like the best Nintendo Mario platformers.

Also glad Dragon Quest Monsters is getting a release, those games are really good. Some good stuff shown there. The Princess Peach game looks interesting.

Advertisement