Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

Keep in mind "Winter" in this context typically means Dec 21, 2023 – Tue, Mar 19, 2024. Not the Irish school system where Spring starts on Feb 1st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Again, haven't been on my phone all day but had to check in to see if the Direct was announced, and sure enough it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will have to wait until after work before watching.

Wonder if we'll hear much of interest.

Nothing from the rumors interests me anyway.

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

F-zero 99

Maybe Splatoon 3 DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'm guessing the Peach and Luigis Mansion port will get some play, the Mario RPG remake.

From now on all I'm waiting for port-wise is Quake III Arena. Used to play the death matches relentlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got fed up waiting for them to bring Wind Waker to the Switch so just last week finished playing through in on my Steam Deck, so I guarantee it’ll be there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The problem for Nintendo is they are now treading water with the spectre of the Switch 2 looming over anything they do for the next year. Only clueless parents buying for their ten-year olds are going to buy a Switch this Christmas, not knowing (or caring) that the new console they are buying will be deprecated by this time next year.

Any new AAA game will be viewed through the prism of a) will it get a upgraded re-release on Switch 2 and I have to buy it again? and b) should they have waited to release it on Switch 2 in the first place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That may be so, but As far as I can see the Switch 2 remains a rumour whose validity is extremely questionable depending on how clickbait-driven a given outlet is. I've yet to see a concrete bit of insider tattle that smells legitimate enough to think <aha, this is it>.

I don't doubt Nintendo are developing something to follow the Switch - but I also severely doubt it's what we expect either. Who could reaonsably chart the hardware decisions since the Gamecube, really?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Heh, don't on forget that they followed up the success of the Gameboy with... the Virtual Boy 😆

As for "deprecated next year" - naaah. All those games worth playing on the Switch won't disappear just because Switch++ arrived, and honestly a kid who's only getting a Switch now is not likely to be a novelty-addicted Nintendo fan who always needs the latest hardware...

Post edited by Fysh on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, I think the reports of the console being demoed to devs at GamesCom seem like the most concrete and reliable to date. Not a whole lot of detail about specs, but enough to indicate the hardware is definitively coming.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-nintendo-showed-switch-2-demos-at-gamescom/

• Advertisement

The device itself will be deprecated as the rumours suggest that Switch 2 will be backwards compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With Nintendo, I'd remain sceptical very much in a "believe it when I see it" capacity; not unlike them to Zag when everyone else zigs.

I don't doubt there's new hardware coming - I had forgotten the Closed Doors demo though - it's just the various rumours about the tech and what it will or won't be is a fool's errand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yes, but the kid in question will still have a Switch, having previously not had one.

If the Switch games library has appeal, that appeal applies regardless of whether you're playing on Switch or Switch++. So barring the kind of bragging rights that seem improbable as a motivator in a child who has for the last 6 years not been after a Switch, I don't really get how it'd be an actual issue.

This is all assuming backwards compatibility is there, which has been the trend but isn't guaranteed. If it's not there then tbh I'd be saying that the system with a big library available is a better bet than the new spendy hardware (possibly with Exciting New Hardware Faults For You To Discover!) with about 3 titles available at launch...

There seems to be a remarkable 'head in the sand' attitude on this thread to the advent of new Nintendo hardware with people actually expressing doubts! OF COURSE, there is a new console coming. Nintendo is a business and the gravy train that is the Switch has started to slow. To keep their business going they have to innovate and that means a new console. Particularly as now it is their ONLY console. There is NO WAY that Nintendo will go into the 2024 holiday season without having a new console on the market.

Also, and perhaps I'm not making myself clear, the current Switch will be deprecated as its successor will likely play current games AND Switch 2 exclusive games (which will become the norm). Unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo does not generally bring out its AAA games on two generations of console at the same time. If and when Mario Kart 9 comes out, little Johnny will want this game on his new Switch 2. The old one will play 8, but that will be of little concern to little Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Curious to see if the rumors of an F-Zero 99 are true. On the one hand a 99 player death race sounds fun. On the other hand a full F-Zero game is wayyyyyy overdue and it would be the perfect type of game to showcase on new hardware. Maybe we'll get both? 🤷‍♂️😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nintendo directs can be like Christmas day. Hope there is a big reveal.

My prediction ....Open World Star Fox game. Built on the TOTK engine ...

Will be called StarFieldFox

I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Yoshi's Island DS might get remakes. Or one of Mario & Luigi DS games.

Scrap my DS prediction, Another Code Recollection is the DS remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tomb Raider Remastered looks excellent. Those games were fantastic, but are quite dated now. Might grab this collection.

Trombone Champ looks like a fun party game

• Advertisement

Yeah I've heard that it's great fun.

Trombone Champ 🤮

I already have Luigis Mansion 1, 2 on 3DS and 3 on Switch and have barely touched any of them. Not going to get the Switch game. Need to play the ones I have !!

Leaks were spot on.

Another "99" game I'll play about 5 times then delete. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Grim so far very grim

Eiyuden has been on the horizon for years looks awesome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

F-Zero is finally back!

*monkey's paw curls*

Did not see that coming on account of no peripheral vision 2d dam you

• Advertisement

Thousand Year Door looks amazing. Instabuy.

Advertisement