Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

chrislad wrote: »
    Having never played a Pikmin game before, this demo was my first exposure to it. A simple 3 tutorial missions with very little meat to it - Is the main game challenging? Is the demo a good indication of the core mechanics? Tempted to just get the two games for 100€ and pick up this and Hyrule Warriors.

It does get a lot more challenging and you really have to manage your pikmin as each has different areas they excel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A new Partner direct just dropped!

Bravely Default 2
    Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town
    Surviving the Aftermath
    Immortals Fenix Rising
    Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia
    Griftlands
    Tropico 6
    Hitman III: Cloud Version
    Control (!) Out Now (!!!!) - Edit: It's a cloud version. Boo.
    No More Heroes 3 (plus 1 and 2)
    Part Time UFO (out now)
    Hyrule Warrior: Age of Calamity (demo out today)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw all the posts on other forums and was wondering what was going on with so much getting announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Control, instant purchase. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wait for reviews, blockfighter. It's streaming, so it will be better to see how it runs first.

• Advertisement

You can try it out for free before buying according to website. Will be doin that this evening. If it streams half as well as my Stadia games, I'm laughin. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Bravely Default 2 end of February that's great news

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any word on if No More Heroes is a port of the Wii version or the Heroes Paradise version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just like before, there were some alternate games from the Japanese Direct (probably to fill the gap where Control and Hitman featured)

New video for Rune Factory 5, with a release next May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So am I reading this right that Nintendo are doing their own form of Stadia? That Control will be streamed from super servers out in the cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any word on if No More Heroes is a port of the Wii version or the Heroes Paradise version?

No mention of it being the Heroes' Paradise version anywhere, and all the talk earlier in the year about it being submitted for Switch mentioned it as the original version (i.e. without the "Heroes' Paradise" suffix).

pixelburp wrote: »
    So am I reading this right that Nintendo are doing their own form of Stadia? That Control will be streamed from super servers out in the cloud?

In a nutshell, yes. This could potentially be how they bridge the gap between next gen gaming and Switch hardware. If the alternative is not getting these kinda games at all on Switch I think they made a good move. Great to have the option to play on Nintendo. And seems to be getting positive reviews from people online in terms of how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Another game from the Japanese Direct.....Bond.

A visual novel style game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think capcom did this in japan a good while back on switch so its been about a while .i think but could be totally wrong here that this is the 1st western cloud game though?
    i tried it last night it did stutter once for me and something popped up on the screen but didnt get a chance to read it ! (think it said server under pressure but could have imagined that! )
    It did seem to preform ok but very hard to tell as the freeplay is quiet short and I'd want a bit more to go on or reassurance before buying it or whatever you do when its on a cloud ...times share?? :P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's kinda amazing, never occurred to me that Nintendo would have the bandwidth or architecture to support cloud gaming. I generally assume they're about 10 years behind the rest of world when it comes to networks :D

Wonder will we see more major AAA titles head to switch now, if this is a viable and successful option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

That's kinda amazing, never occurred to me that Nintendo would have the bandwidth or architecture to support cloud gaming. I generally assume they're about 10 years behind the rest of world when it comes to networks :D

Wonder will we see more major AAA titles head to switch now, if this is a viable and successful option.

Wonder if their using someone else's architecture. I know Phil Spencer is cosy with Nintendo and has mentioned wanting to bring Game Pass to other platforms. Couldn't see if happening with Sony but could definitely see a Nintendo relationship. My only question on that was how they will make it any real value to Switch owners cos the console couldnt handle a lot of the AAA titles on there but this could plug that gap it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They'll almost certainly be prepping to bring the Ubisoft catalogue over, especially Assassins Creed, give the Odyssey is a streaming game in Japan.
    Stadia might be eyeing an app for the Switch as well, it could be a nice addition to the console, and broaden that all important access to AAA games on the Switch... Destiny 2: Beyond Light streaming onto the Nintendo handheld, no expensive hardware upgrades required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Resident Evil 3 remake files have been found by dataminers in the cloud on Switch, so looks like that will be one of the next titles coming via this method.

Control runs great. Noticed no lag or glitches. Looks gorgeous. Hoping more big games like this find their way to Switch in this form. Much better than trying to shoe horn them in like they have done with other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have mixed feelings regarding these cloud games. It's nice to see the Switch able to host more titles, ones that would be outside it's normal capabilities. On the other hand the bottleneck now becomes your internet connection and many like myself have only average connection. The best internet option I currently have in my location is a 4G router hooked to a high gain antenna. When it's good it can be very good for what it is (over 50Mbps, sometimes 70+ Mbps) but at peak times contention can be an issue.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my immediate concern is the extra bandwidth asked of from your ISP. For a quality stream, a couple of hours would surely run into the hundreds of gigs. Would wonder if companies might start paying attention at the sudden hammering of their infrastructure by trivial gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The relatively low resolution of the Switch will help there, as I play Stadia at 1080p with no issues on my home wired network and I haven't noticed a massive issue with the data usage.

I usually play stadia at 720p settings which uses about 4.5gb per hour. When you consider AAA game sizes these days are almost always in excess of 50gb and some over 100gb that equates to a lot of gameplay before you would hit that number. And spread across days/weeks instead of a 1 day download.

Had a go of Control for 5 minutes and the lag with the movement was a little too drunk feeling. To be fair, I jumped into the high graphics mode so presumably the response times is better on Performance Mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some excellent stuff. From people moaning that Nintendo have nothing this year to nintendo having had a pretty blindingly good year as usual, people need to stop moaning as nintendo don't announce stuff years in advance. 2021 is looking good already as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Am I being stupid... I can't see control on the eshop... Do I need to un-vacation from SA?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some excellent stuff. From people moaning that Nintendo have nothing this year to nintendo having had a pretty blindingly good year as usual, people need to stop moaning as nintendo don't announce stuff years in advance. 2021 is looking good already as well.

Oh, people will always find something to complain about, maybe it's their favourite franchise has yet to make an appearance, maybe the discounts just aren't discounty enough, maybe it's some sort of throw back bitterness due to the WiiU... who knows.
    If you are a lover of great games the Switch has enough content to make it an essential purchase.
    As with the Wii, it makes an excellent companion to the PS4/XB1/PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

I think the frustrating thing from a Nintendo fan point of view is that while the switch is selling well at the moment, the truth is that gaming is booming. The new consoles are basically gold dust because of the interest. Nintendo would clean up if they had either new games or, dare I say it, a new console, in these times. Plus their focus on couch multi player is tailor made for covid with families all stuck indoors.

It remains to be seen how the next 6 months pan out but I really think they need to deliver new titles / console sooner rather than later. The sales will dry up once the next gen consoles become more readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Grassey wrote: »
    Am I being stupid... I can't see control on the eshop... Do I need to un-vacation from SA?

Yup, I had the same issue. Quick trip home and it showed up.

• Advertisement

not sure how great a coup using the switch as a dumb terminal for cloud games is really

this is already possible at higher resolution if desired on a tablet, laptop or phone for years either for your own games on local wifi network (e.g. steam link or similar) or the many other cloud services (stadia, geforce now etc) and the switch option can only be used with the internet connection

does give the option for other games that the switch can't handle which is good but it's restrictive - it's not really "x game is now on the switch" it's "x game is now on the switch where you have access to a reliable low latency internet connection"

Advertisement