Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

SK1979 wrote: »
    I think the frustrating thing from a Nintendo fan point of view is that while the switch is selling well at the moment, the truth is that gaming is booming. The new consoles are basically gold dust because of the interest. Nintendo would clean up if they had either new games or, dare I say it, a new console, in these times. Plus their focus on couch multi player is tailor made for covid with families all stuck indoors.

It remains to be seen how the next 6 months pan out but I really think they need to deliver new titles / console sooner rather than later. The sales will dry up once the next gen consoles become more readily available.

Switch is a different market. Portable, family friendly, kid friendly, all ages and sexes. Couch play. MS/Sony still targeting mostly adult males. They can take the iPhone model and just keep gradually improving the hardware. If they keep backward compatibility they should be good. They can now support up to Wii via emulation on Switch. Wii U stuff has been mostly ported. So, they could easily offer a better cloud service to compete with Game Pass.

Also, Nintendo has a great brand name again - "Switch". They are cool and relevant again. Really, it's all theirs to lose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I tried Control and you could tell this was cloud gaming right away, sound skipped several times, lag here and there and I've 1000 meg broadband and messages like 'contacting cloud server' just took me right out of the experience so this is not for me.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I tried Control and you could tell this was cloud gaming right away, sound skipped several times, lag here and there and I've 1000 meg broadband and messages like 'contacting cloud server' just took me right out of the experience so this is not for me.

Nail on head.

Anything that takes you out of the experience is a kick in the nuts for gaming.
    You need to be able to step into the universe quickly and stay there.
    Not be kicked out by slow internet, contention, advertisements, clunky controls, uncanny valleys, deep nested menus, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gonzo wrote: »

If you want the worst version and a copy that almost certainly will be pulled sometime in the future, buy Control and Hitman 3 on Switch.

Not an amazing direct. Bravely Default 2 delayed to next year, the Octopath overworld is far nicer than any of the rest of the game. Bakugan which is maybe still popular in Japan but I don't think many in tbe waste know or care about it in 2020. I might try the Zelda demo but I doubt I'd be tempted to buy a musou game. The part time ufo game might be tempting when it is on sale at a two or three quid. Nice to see No More Heroes 1 & 2 even though I can see no reviews of either at the moment from anyone but YouTuber's (one just played 4 hours and said he played it before) so I ain't buying it until I know more about the motion controls at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

That's a pity. When cloud gaming works its no different to playing locally, from what I've experienced anyways. Internet coverage isn't really where it needs to be for cloud gaming to be a viable option but at least its giving some people the option. It does run the risk of dividing the player base though, those who can play these games and those who feel like they're being left behind.

• Advertisement

My Switch WIFI is crap.
    Cant really go that far from the router.
    Plus streaming will eat the battery.
    I guess if it's docket it's fine.
    Plus I don't own the game.
    Which would be fine if I was paying Netflix like prices.

I think game streaming has to be as seamless as switching between Netflix and Disney+ on a smart TV.
    i.e. it's just there, it's cheap, I can stop/start/switch subs.
    And 30/60 FPS x 1080p at least.
    Low response time and latency.
    And not being worried about going over some cap.
    Also, not killing the internet for everyone else in the house.
    And support multiple streams. e.g. 2 player mario kart on 2 separate screens would be great !!
    And one controller. I don't what a "pro controller" for each service.
    So, 10 quid for 2 simultaneous streams per month from a collection of 100+ Nintendo games.

This is a big step for Nintendo, who currently can charge
    1 x Animal Crossing + 1 x Console PER USER
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    My Switch WIFI is crap.

I think game streaming has to be as seamless as switching between Netflix and Disney+ on a smart TV.
    And support multiple streams. e.g. 2 player mario kart on 2 separate screens would be great !!
    So, 10 quid for 2 simultaneous streams per month from a collection of 100+ Nintendo games.

I use my phone to boost my WiFi to wherever I'm sitting using the hotspot. Switch WiFi is disgracefully bad though. Have to say control ran perfectly for me. Better than it did on my base ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    My Switch WIFI is crap.

I use my phone to boost my WiFi to wherever I'm sitting using the hotspot. Switch WiFi is disgracefully bad though. Have to say control ran perfectly for me. Better than it did on my base ps4.

Does streaming eat the battery more than running any other game locally? I would have thought it was less a strain on the battery since its not doing any of the processing itself.
    Control has been working prefect for me. I'm on WiFi and the router is in the hallway. Delighted to get the chance to play this game without having to get another console or a beefed up PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Does streaming eat the battery more than running any other game locally?

I'd imagine running then game locally would definitely eat through the battery quicker.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine running then game locally would definitely eat through the battery quicker.

Yep, you are right.
    Wasn't thinking.

Think overall it uses more energy to stream a game as it's running in the data centre and then frames are going over the internet to your device. But that's not really a subject for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This should be interesting, what are you hoping to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Fallout Collection please

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

I'd like to see indie dev CDPR's Cyberpunk only to see how much worse the graphics can look on older hardware. I'd imagine people looking like mashed potatoes.

But honestly, Among Us would suit the switch in handheld mode.

Still hanging on for Spelunky/Spelunky 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    This should be interesting, what are you hoping to see?

Elder Scrolls 6....

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I'd like to see Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 released on Switch

I'd love to see Persona 4 Golden are Sega/Atlus considered an indy company these days.

Hoping we get new info on the long awaited Resi Evil games not released yet.

I would be ecstatic if The Power Stone or Evolution series were given a hd release on Switch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Galaxy 2 dlc announcement for Christmas...

Its an indies showcase so I'm setting the bar low, just 1 or 2 interesting indie games launching on the day as my switch is gathering dust these days.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Grindstone too. That was due during the autumn.

Sports Story hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got an email about the Collection of SaGa (the gameboy games) being out, so can see that appearing.

Also the chat in the stream is just #freemelee over and over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr E wrote: »
    Still hanging on for Spelunky/Spelunky 2.

Psychic!

Love it. :D

Hopefully Grindstone too. That was due during the autumn.

2 for 2. :D

Today, nice!

Among Us out today too. Excellent. This was a pretty great presentation (despite the cringy voiceovers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Among Us out today too. Excellent. This was a pretty great presentation (despite the cringy voiceovers)

My 2 daughters are very excited about playing it on the switch rather than their phone and tablet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, Among Us. One of those games that reminds me I have no friends :( that is, friends who play video games lol :D

• Advertisement

Console launch exclusive is certainly something that Nintendo do more now huh?

Not a lot of interesting games to be honest. Among us is on the eShop but it's free on my phone so.....(shrug)

Advertisement