Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kleefarr wrote: »
    Profile the same as before. Will leave a couple of days then ask them to reprofile and see what they come up with.

line%20stats%206-5-15_zpsupdshnoz.jpg

Looks worse to me, crazy amount of CRC errors now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

The real test will come at the week-end when the boys start hammering the xbox's.

If that passes then all is good.

Downstream SNR (dB) 8.8

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you ever estimate the loop length between you and the cab?

The real test will come at the week-end when the boys start hammering the xbox's.

If that passes then all is good.

Downstream SNR (dB) 8.8

How are these Xboxes connected? Try cable them, leave the wireless for mobility only, it will perform better this way.

ED E wrote: »
    Did you ever estimate the loop length between you and the cab?

Only via the Eircom rollout map. Aprox 500mtrs.
    How are these Xboxes connected? Try cable them, leave the wireless for mobility only, it will perform better this way.

One is connected via it's own wireless and the other to a wireless hub.
    Not practical to wire them up unless I go the homeplug route.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say, I found out from the Eircom Engineer why things changed last June/July. That's when they updated the estate for Fibre.
    Also, had a couple of Eircom employees wandering around outside this afternoon, looking in the telecom holes.
    I went out to see if they where checking stuff due to problems and they said that they were just doing a survey for upcoming upgrades. Also said they they had had other complaints from someone around here.

Sounds like work is still ongoing.

Yes, there is still a fair bit of lag. Lag that we did not have on the same set up prior to fibre upgrade in area last June/July. 8(
    Guess I'll have to wait and see if the upgrades mentioned by the Ericom surveyors make any difference.

DSL synchronization status Up
    DSL up time 2 Days 23:25:33

Line Status
    Help
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 40956
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 10239
    Downstream SNR (dB) 8.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 20.3
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 15.4
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.6
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.8
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 7.8
    Downstream CRC 21051
    Upstream CRC 6
    Downstream FEC 6487364
    Upstream FEC 10525

You'll need to remove wireless from any testing, run temporary cables if you have to

But apart from the modem being different nothing has changed. It has always been wireless for the most part except main PC which is wired to the modem and prior to June/July last year all was working fine within reason.

Eircom will not care about your own modem readings or tests over wireless. They will send a tech who will remove the front of the NTU removing all your internal cabling and connect his meter and test with that directly to the main pair.

I suggest you do the same, remove the front of the NTU and connect your modem to the rj45 socket there and see do you still get crc errors with the rest of your internal network disconnected

• Advertisement

I don't think there is an RJ45 socket in the main socket. Engineer had to connect his test equipment via crocodile clips to the wires.

I don't think there is an RJ45 socket in the main socket. Engineer had to connect his test equipment via crocodile clips to the wires.

There is a single socket, remove the front plate. The engineer just used whatever was convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The crc errors in the OPs post are mainly from a flurry or errors when the connection was disconnected and reestablished when the engineers were working on it. If you look at the errors in the 2 days later post of stats they are much lower. Still a few but hundreds not thousands.

The crc errors in the OPs post are mainly from a flurry or errors when the connection was disconnected and reestablished when the engineers were working on it. If you look at the errors in the 2 days later post of stats they are much lower. Still a few but hundreds not thousands.

Yeah Op, can you reboot the router so the stats reset.

Rebooted. Up just over 8 hours...

line%20stats%2010-5-15_zpsoa48hkb2.jpg

Rebooted. Up just over 8 hours...

[IMG]hxxp://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/KBL007/line%20stats%2010-5-15_zpsoa48hkb2.jpg[/IMG]

Have you removed the front of the NTU and plugged in direct with the rest of your internal network disconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

I don't have one of those junction boxes. It's a crappy old style box and like I said, there is no RJ45 socket on it.

But, he did put one on the extension up in the bedroom, would that be any good to test from?

If the filtered NTU is in the bedroom that is now the master socket and he's backfed the rest, or he's botched the install.

Ok, I took off the cover on the junction box upstairs.
    Connected modem to it via the RJ45 and the RED WAN socket on the modem.
    Connected laptop to modem via Ethernet.
    Plugged power in and switched on.

WP_20150511_001_zpsflv8zmir.jpg

No internet!

Is there a setting I have to change on the modem?

• Advertisement

It looks like its turned off there?

Definitely on. Had power/Link/wifi but no Internet.

So nothing needs changing on the modem? I wouldn't have thought it would but was surprised to get the no internet result.

Ohhhh

I know what youve done. You've connected it with an ethernet port. You need to connect an RJ11 cable and use the DSL port on the rear of the modem to that RJ45 port on the wall.

Eh?

RJ11 cable from laptop to modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Eh?

RJ11 cable from laptop to modem?

He means connect the grey telephone headed cable into the socket on the back of the router marked DSL and connect the other end into the socket on the wall where the ethernet cable is connected as per your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What are you upto at all. You use a regular phone cable to connect the dsl port on the modem to the Rj11 wall socket.

And then connect the laptop to the RJ45 socket on the wall?

So both modem and laptop go through the socket?

Thought about that when I was having a shower. :)

No no no.

Socket on wall, faceplate off: ---Grey PHONE cable----DSL Port on Modem - Ethernet Port on Modem ----Ethernet on laptop.

Ok, well what confused me was the fact that originally I was supposed to test via the RJ45 port.

"connect your modem to the rj45 socket".

RJ11 into the RJ45? Does it fit?

• Advertisement

Ok, well what confused me was the fact that originally I was supposed to test via the RJ45 port.

"connect your modem to the rj45 socket".

RJ11 into the RJ45? Does it fit?

Exactly. The smaller RJ11 will fit into a larger RJ45 (but not vice versa).

Advertisement