Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Good episode tonight! Jees the first one was gorge!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,191 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sometimes feel these home don't look like they've kids in them when they do. I suppose they've all toys locked away but they don't have that family home vibe I'd know.

I loved the first house tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Liked the first house. Loved how they retained the outside of the original house and yet the dark wood extension went great with it. I didn't really understand why they had almost identical sofa areas in the one room. Also where the favourite spot was, the gorgeous fancy fireplace was partially blocking the view of the tv. But the rooms were done up really well, I don't remember seeing a main bathroom. But a lot of "ooh" and "wow" from me watching it. And the couple seemed lovely and really happy with their house (ah well aren't they all!).

Second house - loved the outside, the stone work, the windows, the garden. The inside was nice, felt quite big and spread out, loved the kitchen. It strikes me as one of those houses you rent on Air Bnb for a family gathering or a hen. That favourite spot was fab - give me a comfy seat, a good book and a hot cuppa and I'd stay out there for hours. And a really lovely, down to earth couple.

The last house - loved the front of it. Wasn't a fan of the style of old and new elements in the house eg the green dresser in the kitchen. Liked that there was lots of greenery in the house. I agree with comments about the kids living quarters - they seemed quite far away from the parent's bedroom and they were quite cramped and small. How are two strapping 16 year old lads going to be able to share that little room? I know they probably felt the rooms are just for sleeping in but teenagers like to chill out in their own room, listen to music, chat to their friends on socials, watch netflix in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

I loved the first house last night. I loved most of the second house - only part I didnt like was the hall. I thought the kitchen was lovely and homely though. I would happily live in either of the first 2 houses.

I hated the third house however. It just seemed to be made of of small spaces which I couldnt live with. I agree with Freshpopcorn - it looked like no kids lived there at all. The house must have been cleared out for the cameras! The rooms were so small that it would end up being annoying living there. It just seemed a cold, clinical, impractical house to me. I would think the owners will sell in the next few years as it wont work for them. I admit though that the owners did come up with some clever space saving ideas especially in the kids bedrooms. I think it could just be a showpiece for the owners design skills rather than a forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well you'd know what day they are filming so I'd say lots of stuff gets fired up into the attic etc.

So not seeing the 100 cuddley toys, the stacks of Lego, footballs,hurls, dolls houses and buggies etc doesn't overly bother me. However when the architecture doesn't lend itself to kids it raises questions for me anyway.

The rooms last night were tiny. For one child they were tiny but for two boys it was really pushing it. There's walk in wardrobes bigger than those bedrooms. They talked about designing the house with the needs of triplets , didn't really see that tbh.

Like another poster said , it was an interior designer showcasing her work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,191 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd hope all the stuff gets fired away but sometimes I wonder do these people actually live like a show house to keep up appearances.

Yes I've noticed that about this season. Where are all the "bits"? Maybe my home is cluttered but where are the photos, the kids artwork, the toys, the sky box, games console, books, stuff that is sentimental and has memories and makes your house your own.

One of the houses last week had magnets on the fridge and it was nice and normal to see.

That's why I loved the "gallery" house as it was very much a working home.

Even the house with all the patterned furniture was a lived in home.

The first house last night was absolutely spotless but I'd actually expect that from two gay guys living together (massive stereotype there but it is kinda true)

However the interior design magazine houses just make me itch.

For once an architect and interior designer house didn't bother me. I liked the interior of the house, but I thought the extension could have been more sympathetic to the old bungalow on the exterior.

Second house was lovely but very little personality to it, it looked like an interior design magazine.

Third house I actually felt sorry for Amanda, she was really uncomfortable in it. I did think it was lovely though , her granny's chairs were fab. However it certainly could have been dialled down a notch or 5!!

Final next week.

Agree with a lot of your comments Princess Calla. The outside of the first house would have been lovely if the extension was done like a convert large outhouse with the same red roof and whitewashed stone walls. That said the house was lovely inside and like the reconfiguration of the original house.

Second house was very much a "man's house". I'd have liked a bit of colour and personality. That said - the furniture looked high standard and the house was well finished.

The final house was too much even for me who likes all her bits and pieces about. Too much colour, every surface covered, every wall covered. I did like the reupholstered chairs in the favourite spot. I'm not a big fan of seeing children's bedrooms on these shows but it was nice to see a child's room with personal effects, books etc on display, a proper lived in bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

jaysus…. Samatha bone is such a monumental pain the hole. Looking at the final now. 🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gave up watching this as it's less about the "House" and more an interior design show now. They barely even show the exterior of the house anymore, or comment on anything architectural, but instead it's all about that sack Wallace and his BS views regarding colour everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I preferred the house that the father and son did plus the gate lodge in Tyrone, the one that won was the worst of the three with an ugly wall/flower bed plonked in front of it but there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Winner looked like a tacky hotel interior or something. Very ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

That's exactly what I thought. My favourite was the father and son house followed by the gate lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

deffo well preferred the father and son house. Did enjoy the series overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep didn't like it at all compared to the other two. The gate lodge was my favourite though just totally original and homely.

The father and son one very clever aswell but a bit too masculine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

thought there was a lovely dynamic between the Father and son, just a nice change from the other wannabes and their fashion accessory kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Last nights winner was clever design wise but a pain to live in I would think. I didnt like the dining area or the walkthrough kitchen - not that practical. Nice house but shouldnt have won.

I was sure the old schoolhouse owned by the artist would win. All 3 judges loved it and it really was a 'home' rather than a design piece.

Out of the 3 finalists the gate lodge should have won. It was timeless. I did like the father and sons house but a bit too stark for me but I can see it would be an easy and practical house to live in.

It was refreshing that the 3 finalists were smaller houses - 2 terraces and a gate lodge. My choice of the 3 was the gate lodge but I can see why the winner was chosen. They rejigged the layout downstairs, separating the rooms but yet not having any doors. I know it wasn't to everyone's taste but it worked for them as a couple. I felt there was a bit more originality and homeliness about the finalists this year - a move away from "showhouse" or "interior designed" type houses towards houses that are practical and look lived in.

In terms of the series as a whole, I'd like to see Amanda replaced. Throughout the series she seems to go into the homes looking for something to dislike or turn her nose up at. And when it came to the deliberations in the final she was in straight away with negativity and arguments.

• Advertisement

100% agree with you. I would have loved the artists house to win. Definitely a home you could kick off your shoes and curl up with a cuppa when visiting.

Out of the 3 finalists the gate lodge was my favourite, but all three houses I'd be afraid to crease the cushions when sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’d like to see these 3 doing an Irish cribs. It wud be great to see the houses of millionaires Rosanna and Dr Quirky, Roz and the Desmond lad, Sosueme and Dylbops, even less wealthy celebs like Bressie and his rock guitarist bird, the Kavanagh rented house in phibsboro, Simon Harris house in greystones. I wanna see the Conor McGregor house in Straffan.

Advertisement