Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have to say I really liked the second home - apart from the bike on the wall. It looked really lived in and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I wouldn't have the bike either.

I loved the idea of having a "mini flat" downstairs. That would be so perfect for the messy creature that's me....I'd live there and keep upstairs clean for guests 😂😂

I did like the winning house better though. Though tbh I'm having trouble remembering what it was like....but I liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

I would have preferred the semi-detached house in Dublin as winner to be honest.

The other house won for the amazing views etc but that's easy to do if you have the site are can build whatever you want.

It's much harder to refurbish a house on small plot and make it work for a large family, like the Dublin house did.

Also these one off houses are not good for environmental reasons, much better to refurish a house in a central location near to all amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Yea I thought the Dublin one was fab too. It looked like all the other houses from the front, but when you went it … wow.

They were all lovely in fairness but it is definitely easier to create a stunning house when you’re building from scratch.

That’s it for this year!

No I loved the house that won.

It was that one are Kilkenny one with the dark interiors for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The new series will be called ‘Homeless of the year’ to reflect the current situation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ha Ha. The programme has expanded to the Welsh and Scottish homes of they year, going out on SKY. The houses look much more affluent and interesting.

A little off topic but I recently discovered Scotland Home of the Year - somewhere on my skybox. Missed the first 2 episodes but enjoying the rest. Beautiful scenery and it's interesting how they make use of their outdoor living space in their weather. Think I've one or 2 more episodes left to watch.

I think it's Thursday on rte 2 I think around 7:30/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well what did you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Where in Dublin was the second house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Very surprised at Amanda's reaction to the West Cork home, I wouldn't have thought that was her style at all. I must google the artist, I loved his work. I really liked the house with the swimming pool, fabulous house in a fabulous location.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Me too, really surprised by Amanda’s choice. She normally goes for white, sterile and completely uncluttered spaces!

I had a big spiel typed out and lost it 😡

So Clare house, gorgeous but interior design catalogue. Didn't see a whole lot of personality in it, very much a Pinterest storyboard. Now I wouldn't say no to it but just lacked something.

Dublin house, lovely, but absolutely no way I'd have a shower in the middle of the bedroom, for one I like my privacy even from my partner and 2 from dampness it can't be a good idea. Rest of the house a lovely family home.

Cork house a perfect mish mash of everything. I wouldn't be a fan of second hand furniture (or anything really) but it all worked. A house that was very much comfortable in its own skin, if that makes sense. I'm shocked that the uptight one loved it so much! It was my favourite and I think , probably because I'm a messy creature, I'd feel most at home in as I wouldn't be afraid of creasing the sofa.

Good opening episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What sky channel are the Welsh and Scottish versions on?

A good opening episode.

I liked the exterior and location of the Clare house. But wasn't a fan of the interiors, especially the kitchen. But the stove was fab.

The second home in Dublin I wasn't mad about - I didn't like the black frame glass doors for some reason. But liked their concept for an "outdoor room" flow at the back. You can tell they put what they really wanted and desired in the house. Like others I wasn't mad about the shower being totally visible in the centre in of the master suite, a nice curved tiled or glass brick wall would have given some privacy.

So glad the last house of the night was chosen for the final. It makes a change not to have a shiny new looking house on it, but one that looks lived in, mature and comfortable. Some lovely features inside with the stonework and panelling. Nice to see bits and pieces about the house as opposed to many other uncluttered homes on the show. The home and its owners were very much their unapologetic selves and it strikes me as a welcoming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Really enjoyed it! Loved the first and last one! His artwork was gorgeous!

the bathroom in the bedroom in the second one was awful!

grand designs home of the year is on rte 2 at the moment and the houses are incredible if anyone hasn’t seen it, think it’s a few years old

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/grand-designs--house-of-the-year-s06-e2/SI0000005571?epguid=AQ10001714-06-0002

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

That Amanda bone makes my teeth grind… god she’s a pain in de hole…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BBC Scotland (that's the channel name) and BBC One Wales.

Its a Norwegian format that RTÉ licenced rather than an Irish format that others copied; RTÉ just did it a long time before the BBC.

• Advertisement

First house, certainly a very much loved house. I could deal with all the furniture, though I suspect hoovering is a pain in the hole, but jaysus all those patterns, they even had wallpaper on the ceiling. Nope, not for me!

Loved the second house, very understated. Though from experience I wouldn't have a shower downstairs, it's an absolute nightmare!

Third house, gorgeous, but felt very interior designer. I also didn't like the fact it was a "celebrity" house, so glad it didn't go through.

First house - a beautiful building inside and out. And I thought my house was cluttered! There was so much furniture, different patterns, there was just too much going on. She had some beautiful pieces of furniture, lovely features in the home - but you just couldn't see them properly.

Second house was nice. It's the type of house where if you wanted to get away from it all for a few days, you would totally AirBnb it - put on the fire, curl up with a book.

Final house - while it was very nice, it was very much a "we paid for an interior designer" type house.

The first house could probably comfortably fill 3 similar houses with all the furniture.

I liked the furniture as it was in keeping with the age of the house etc....though I'd certainly like a snug room with really comfy couches for tv....just the patterns and colours were way too much.

I'd love to know what they do for employment as absolutely nothing in the house was cheap, plus 6 kids probably all in private school.

The right house won in my opinion. It was fabulous and I'd happily sit in front of that fire. I loved the first house but the clutter was horrendous. I'd hate to have to clean all those ornaments and stuff. The last one was nice and definitely made the most of the site. It annoys me everytime I see a kitchen with presses right up to the ceiling because I'm really regret not doing that with our kitchen.

Oh sweet Jesus the first house!! Someone taking style tips from McGregor. They obviously have a huge amount of dosh and fair play to them but a tad too much for me.

Second house, looked so bleak from outside, a few planters or something around the house to break up the sharp profile. I thought it was an ok house, wouldn't be a fan of the wallpapers etc.

The last house was my favourite, I love the idea of a mezzanine. It's a shame they didn't go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First House looked like Lotto winners to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Wasn’t mad about any of the houses this evening, think the best one overall won.

anyone where the first house was located in Dublin?

First house looks nice from the outside. And it was finished to a high standard on the inside. But personally, many elements weren't for me, I actually thought it was a bit tacky. It felt a bit show-offy, look at how much money I have and brought me back to peak Celtic Tiger era. I've no doubt the couple love their home but it wasn't to my taste.

The second house was a bit hit or miss. There were elements of it I did like, like the main living room/ drawing room downstairs with that lovely wallpaper, and the blue entrance hall, the kitchen. But other parts of the house felt a bit much. The coloured panelling in some of the rooms was nice. But then it also had a strong patterned wallpaper and I think it should have been one or the other - let it have it's moment and feature rather than both panelling and wallpaper battling for attention. Didn't like the other staircase with the strong wallpaper and disco balls. The outside of the house looked neglected which was strange, a lick of paint and a few flower pots would have done wonders.

The final house was lovely, it was perfectly nice but it didn't blow me away. Actually plenty of space inside which you wouldn't think from the outside. I didn't like the high ceiling in the bedroom, I think a bedroom should feel a bit more cosy and warm and intimate.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

the Instagram from rte has links to owners businesses. I did go back to first series as they mentioned their sister being in that before passing away..her house was just gorgeous. very different but so much fun and personality.

it also highlighted how boring and formulaic the show has become since then. everything is just samey..first season the judges were so much less staged and the homes were so different .

• Advertisement

Loved all 3 houses.

My only complaint, the kids bedrooms in the third house. Extremely tight especially for two boys heading into teenage years. I actually rewinded, was there only one bedroom upstairs? Then the big bathroom? I wouldn't be a fan of being so far away from my kids rooms especially when they had their own patio doors....ideal for sneaking in or out in a couple of years time!

I get the kids had their own "den" but I don't know, the house just felt very adult centric and the kids will have moved out in a couple of years so no point giving them big bedrooms.

Advertisement